Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• Someone said that a 3rd person could sit in the back seat with 2 car seats in the ls. This has not proven possible in my ls. I've tried to wedge myself in there to comfort a fussy baby and almost never got out. It is impossible even for a small child to fit in there. I think I need room on the Sequoia level but I'm wondering if I will have trouble going from a Lexus to a Toyota. I have had such a great experience with my ls.
  • It is on the nav screen
  • Does anyone know what I can do to keep leather on the driver's seat looking good? I've got a new 03 LX and the seat already looks worn on one side from getting in and out because the vehicle is so high off the ground. This is going to be a major problem if I can't fix it now. Thanks for anyone's help!

corine
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    my opinion is that the tan leather wears alot faster than the gray. we looked at lots of '99 & 00's and found that the gray interior held up MUCH better. the outboard side of the bottom cushion is going to wear down. it gets wrinkles and will crack if not maintained. i have not yet found a leather care product that i like. i have heard that lexol destroys the stitching. our four month old '02 w/gray interior is showing some slight signs of wear, but i am trying to make of habit of stepping in and out of the seat instead of sliding. lowering the ahc control helps as does carefully using the running boards.

i'm sure that lexus will happily sell you a leather product. whetehr it works or not is another story, though.

good luck.
    ace
  • Thanks, I'll try to find a product out there that will work. I also have the gray leather and I can't believe it's wrinkled already and only 2 months old. They need to come up with a border on the outside of the seats that is more durable, like the "pleather" on the Mercedes cars. That material holds up under all conditions.
  • Anyone experiencing annonying engine vibration in "drive" at idle (stop-sign, light, traffic, etc...)? Typically, seems to be at 800 RPM. Dealer claims it is normal, but my experience in other Lexus V8s suggest it is unusual. Any input welcome!
    Thx,
    T
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    I know that they have made recent tweaks on this years model, but has anyone heard anything new on a redesign or what is going to happen with the LX470?
  • I own a 2003 lx and notice the towing has decreased from 6500 to 5000. Any idea why? I plan to tow a trailer and would like the extra 1500 lbs. Thanks in advance for you comments.
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    In my opinion, the limit is due to the integrated hitch in the rear. In contrast, the '03 Land Cruiser (which has a traditional bolt-on hitch) still can tow 6500 lbs.
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    Does an 2002 LX470 have Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (aka EBD)?? From my reading of Toyota literature, it does NOT have it. However, every other Toyota/Lexus SUV have it since at least 2001.

Can anyone confirm this?? Does it have EBD??
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 380
    what about an lx redesign based on the sequoia, since it has more interior space? and present lx long in the tooth for upgrade and looks. any ideo of 04?
  • 9411794117 Posts: 39
    ...the LX470 is to be replaced with a bigger model and a larger engine (5.4 litre?) in model year 2005.

After the 2003 facelift, I'd be very surprised to see any signif. changes for 2004.

Also, 7 year changovers: 1991 + 7 = 1998. 1998 + 7 = 2005.
  • After spending a hour or so reading through these posts I only read 2 which mentioned what to expect in the real world for gas mileage, - 16mpg. Is this what most of you are getting? This is not the single most important factor for me t consider buying one, but I can't ignore it.
    Ready for a change and the LX470 might be it (currently have a 96 LS400 & 98 GS300).
  • 03 LX 470. Town and mountain 16.9. Highway 19.7
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 380
    if this is the same engine in the sequoia, tundra etc. can you use reg gas?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,678
    2001 LX470 - town 16; highway 17-18. But these are NY area highways so there is always stop and go. The truck never varies from these norms for me. Gas must be premium grade.
    Sometimes premium isn't available. A knock sensor will automatically adjust things for you but slightly lower power maximum power will result. I've used 85 octane a few times. There are very slight differences between these 4.7 litre engines.
  • I have a 2000 LX470 whose heated seats turn on, but then turn off automatically a short time later, even though I still want them to stay on. Are they suppose to shut off automatically?
  • Bought one with 33K miles for $43000. Is this a Good buy? Not Certified. I will have two years of new car warranty.
  • We test drove one this weekend in Dallas and just loved it! I've never owned a Lexus, but seems most folks that have them are very satisfied! I thought I wanted the new Volvo LX90...it sure didn't stack up to what I thought, so went with the Lexus. Got on the waiting list and they told us 6 to 8 week wait and chances were great for it being loaded and in a color we requested. I have been reading about some folks having trouble with the leather on the seats wearing, that kind of concerns me...any suggestions? I would love to get the sand dollar pearl with the ivory seats, but hope they hold up, this is the first I have heard about the seats wearing. Love reading everyone's comments, just counting the days until we can pick ours up.
  • Interesting we moved over from Volvo-XC90 to 01-LX. It is the third row seating conv.(extra couple of inches) and the overall cabin space made us choose the LX. Yes, we had to go for LX with miles with the very limited availability in our area. Hopefully Toyota-reliability will come in handy. So far we are happy with our LX.
  • Thanks for sharing that info. with me. I am sure you have more room with the LX than the Volvo. We are getting the GX, so won't have quite as much space as you do, but just liked everything about it better than the Volvo. Glad your experience has been a good one thus far. I am counting on the same when we get ours.
    I also have the 2000 and they don't shut off on me.
    I meant to say the 2001 not the 2000. But I have had heated seats since the 95 LS400 and never did they shut off automatically.
  • zuma13zuma13 Posts: 35
    Had an opportunity to see an actual GX470. The new design is quite attractive. Everything on the inside and out is laid out quite nicely. New larger screen navigation system. Just the right amount of space on the inside. However, the third row seats are a waste.

The one feature I thought quite grievious was the way in which the rear gate opened. Who designed and allowed this door onto the market had his head up his #$$%. The door in it's entirety swings open toward the right side of the vehicle. That means if you are standing on the curb side of the GX470 and want to load parcels in the vehicle, you must walk around the door to gain access the the cargo compartment. This would prove especially burdensome if this occured while parallel parked with another vehicle parked closely behind.

Another drawback associated with this new gate design is the lack of versatility. It ONLY swings open to the right; there is no provision for the uppper glass section to open for access. One major drawback is the situation where an oversized object requires transportation. If the gate opened up or downward, the oversized object could be accommodated. IF THE OBJECT DOESN'T FIT WITHIN THE CAVITY OF THE VEHICLE ALLOWING THE CLOSURE OF THE SWING-OUT DOOR, IT'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

POOR, POOR design of rear cargo access. But for that (and that's a BIG, BIG that), I think the vehicle is fine.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,174
    It's been that way for years with CR-V's and those owners find it's not much of a problem. Most people don't spend all that much time parallel parking - usually you're at a mall or store lot or in a downtown parking garage where it's a non-issue.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

...just the same way. Maybe it's designed to stop if the circut gets too hot?
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    rear may be hinged right, but the may be opened upward.

ace
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,174
    Good point Ace and I occasionally wish my MV had that feature. I still don't think the hinge side is going to be that big an issue for those times you're going to need to put something in the back through the rear door.

Try an advanced search on tailgate for pro and con posts (like this pro one: bfyerxa "Honda CR-V" Mar 29, 2002 10:25pm).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.