Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Test drove one today:

Loved: The feel of the seats, the fit, finish & feel of the car. The appearance of the dash, wood, navigation screen, controls (most of them, don't like the cheesy cruise controls), console. Drove very nicely, felt very secure. Quality oozed out of the car.

Disliked: The pathetic attempt at a 3rd row seat. The unavailability of A/C or ventilated seats. Larger engine would be nice.

Summary: You give up some great features for the solid quality of the Lexus. It's a trade off. Worth considering.
  • nvbanker, what was your test drive?
  • I haven't been on the boards for some time but was wondering when Lexus will be updating the LX? I purchased a GX last year and have had no problems other than poor gas mileage. I have twin 18 month girls and have 2 large baby seats in rear seat and there's no problem getting an adult in the middle of them. All you have to do is push front seat all the way up, get in and load kids in.
    The LX-470.
  • navprobnavprob Posts: 1
    My nav system (however, on the LS430 2004 model, which I believe uses the same nav system as the suv)gives consistently incorrect directions. The recent "update" actually made many things worse. Does anyone have an idea how widespread this problem is?
  • deke2deke2 Posts: 1
    I also have a new '05 LX470. I don't know if this is related but I have noticed on occasion the car seems to idle quite loudly ( a rumbling noise). Also, I have noticed that on occasion when I go over bumps, the tires feel like they are filled with helium. I took it to the dealer and they said the tires needed balancing which they did no charge. But it has recurred. I don't think it is related to the comfort/ sport setting for the suspension. Anyone else have a similar problem?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I read somewhere that there's a service bulletin out relating to the rumbling noise. My LX does it, and it is rather annoying. I don't have any problem with the ride quality, though.
  • crankstercrankster Posts: 20
    In regards to my post #1171 about the rumbling, my $1,000 investment in a set of Michelin tires fixed the bulk of the rumbling sound. Now I'm onto trying to get a vibration problem fixed. The LX has been at the dealer all week and hopefully they found out what was wrong while we were in Florida. I suspect either one of the rims has serious runout issues, or there is something in the drivetrain like an out of balance driveshaft or something, as the frequency of the vibration has nothing to do with the road, so it must be eminating from the drivetrain. My LX also makes an embarassingly loud rumble/dieseling sound when in drive with the brake on at a complete stop, which they were supposed to try to fix as well. It's not very Lexus-like.

Now I'm sitting at the Ft. Lauderdale airport waiting for my 6:15 PM flight home that's now been delayed to 11:30 PM. In addition to my LX, I now have USAirways to add to my list of things to hate...

I pretty much regret getting the LX.
  • pcrescuepcrescue Posts: 1
    I am a Sirius lover. I really missed the Kenwood Excelon head with the Sirius box plugged in. I looked and all I could find was modulated add-ons. The Nakamichi sounded "not bad" in itself but modulated sources degrade even more. Searched and no dash kit for LX470 and no manufacturers had any plans to make one now or in the future. Kept on searching and found an experienced installer that had integrated aftermarket heads into the existing amps and speakers and fabrictaed the dash trim kit - and he installed my Kenwood with Sirius. This thing absolutely rocks and I have my satelite radio back! After time will probably replace the 8" sub and amp with good stuff but the head unit replacement made a night and day difference. And save the head for when you migrate to your new 470.
    I am in heaven in the sound department - now, PLEASE, somebody help me get more power out of this babe to tow my trailer! Thanks!
  • otishotish Posts: 59
    I am wondering why a Lexus dealer would not cerfify a 2002 LX470 on his lot. I have seen one online that is not being sold as certified (about 40,000 miles). To me this seems like there might be a problem with it. Dealer says he can certify it for about $2000. Wouldn't Lexus dealer want to have it as certifed? Seems odd to me or maybe this is not unusual? Any comments?
    I would think your hunch may be correct......it may need some work to be certified - like a new transmission.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,818
    Per our Certified page (tabbed from the edmunds.com main page), Lexus will only sell (certify) vehicles that are 5 years old or less, with less than 60,000 miles. So that should work fine for a 3 year old LX 470. When I search the listings for Certified LX 470's, 164 used ones show up, but they are all '03 and '04 models. But if I search for All 2002 models, some certified ones do appear.

Here's the link if you want to try it yourself. Maybe there's some near your zipcode.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• catlyncatlyn Posts: 1
    dealer by me is selling an 02 lx470 with 9,000 miles $45,000 asking price.....is this a good buy taking into account the low miles........also, any known problems with the 02 ? .... any help would be appreciated
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    I wouldn't assume the LX470 is a lemon just because it isn't a Lexus Certified Used vehicle. There may be numerous reasons on why the dealer isn't certifying it.
    Among them:
    1) They payed too much for it when it came in to their lot.
    2) It may have not had all it's services done or records aren't available.

Of course it could have been in a accident also or could be a lemon buyback.

You may want to take it to a another shop to take a look at it for things like body damage, engine wear, shift quality.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Posts: 120
    Has anyone compared the ML sound system versus the nakamichi,have heard
    different opinions.
  • jaf2jaf2 Posts: 1
    I was in Kazakhstahn last year and rode in a TLC with a turbo diesel engine. I was wondering if it is possible to purchase a Lexus LS470 with a turbo diesel engine and if it would be to the same level of luxury as the US version. If it is possible how would or could that be done. Also is the price significantly more and what is the miles per gallon comparison. I did notice that the diesel engine was much quieter than those i have been around in the USA. Does anyone have any insight here?
    LX470's are not available with a diesel option in the US. And they are probably not available anywhere else in the world also.
    The 2006 LX470 get's a power upgrade to 275bhp via variable valve timing on the 4.7L V8.
  • mdsequoiamdsequoia Posts: 22
    I don't own a LX470 but I do own a Sequoia and can share that I have had similar issues with mine over the last 2 year. My Toyota dealer was able to get the regional field tech out and after extensive testing they replaced all (5) tires and I had 15k on the odo. The vibration and hum was reduced and it was lot better. Last year I opted to put Nokian Snows on my Seq and they are noisy but they give me great snow traction. One odd thing occured when the dealer went to put my Michelins back on the balancing was way off the mark. It was horrible and they ended up sending it down to their Chrylser dealer who did a Road Force Balancing on the tires and while its still not 100% it is alot better than it was. The odd thing is the dealer installed the new tires and balanced them on the rims. I wonder since I am nearing 45k if the shocks need to be done or something else.

Vibration is not normal but the road noise could be due to tread design and if you are buying a vehicle that has a list of $65k plus then they should fix it for FREE especially since my Toyota dealer did. Next year it should be a TLC.
    Lexus SUV Upgrades Announced (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mikeivanmikeivan Posts: 42
    I guess this means we wait till 2007 or later for the NEW LX, I am disappointed. Does anybody have any solid information on what the NEW LX will offer? The current model is stale and needs more than new colors and more horsepower to get me to trade. I love my 1999 LX, it will have to last another year (or more). :cry:
    Stale??? No kidding!! If the LX were a domestic, it would be maggot infested!! This platform is so old, it wore a liesure suit to the grand opening...... Guess I'll stay with my Navigator and wait too. No reason to buy into this dinosaur now...
  • njpaguynjpaguy Posts: 55
    Too bad the real joke is the Navigator. Older platform or not, I cannot for the life of me see how you feel the Navigator is a superior vehicle in any way. Even my 12 year old son could not believe the awful ergonomics of the Lincoln.
    Then by all means, do not buy one.
  • rstenlakerstenlake Posts: 1
    I have a 94 RR LWB with just under 180000 miles on it. Still running strong. Yes there have been some repairs on it, mostly as you might expect, electrical. My friend has a '99 LX. It is a good strong truck at 90,000 miles. He had the timing belt, idlers and water pump replaced for around $2,000 and now the rear struts need to be replaced at $1,000 each. So I guess the bottom line is if you own either of these some of the repairs are going to be expensive. The leather in mine has his beat as his looks and feels like hard plastic. Off road they are about the same, but because of his running boards he is not able to make it all the places we have in mine. As far as reliability the LX is probable one of the very best you can get if you are careful about what the dealer takes you into fixing or replacing, and this would go for just about any vehicle as the service managers are on comission.....go figure!!! The new LX with more horse power will be at least 30 horse power behind the new RR or well over 100 hp under the new model depending on if you get the supercharged one or not. In addition, the RR will get better mileage than either the current or updated motor of the LX. I read an interview with the VP for european luxury auto group and quality is big on his agenda so that will be a plus for RR. In the long run, Toyota has to update the LX platform and drive train as it is light years behind RR for '06. I hope they do as this will put pressure on both companies to make a better product. So in summary, I love my RR as it is bigger inside and the interior and off road is better. In my opinion, even my body style is better. Quality...that will go to Toyota! Of course now that they are opening a big factory in Mexico we will have to see if there are start up problems. I think we should all send notes to Toyota to fix the ancient (mummified) platform and inadaquate motor, and then write RR and tell them to fix the quality problems (after all Jag did it) so we can all get better vehicles for our money. I would also like to see some upscale models with out all the electronics on them. I find I don't care about much of the items offered, although the new back up camera for the RR is nice for parking! Rick
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    Toyota/Lexus has traditionally been a conservative company. Don't mess to much with a good product. They don't usually get into the Horse Power game. I agree that the LX/LC is dated compared to the competition. They are still very capable, reliable and comfortable SUVs. I see a lot of aggressive moves by Toyota/Lexus in their cars with the new Avalon, GS etc. These are some fine products. They will hopefully breathe some life into their SUV range.
  • Hello, I have been thinking about planning to buy 2005 Lexus 470 or 2005 Lexus GX 470...in the Future.

I still think and asking Are 2005 Lexus LX 470 and 2005 Lexus GX 470 Bad Luck?

I just worry about it. What do you think? Be Honest with me. Tell The Truth.

that's What I want to hear...whatever you say.

Do you think they are :lemon: ?

I will wait to hear from you anytime.

From Good Friend

:confuse: :D :)
  • jharperjharper Posts: 1
    Hey, did you find your LX yet?
  • ndboomerndboomer Posts: 20
    It was posted earlier that the 2006 will include 3 new color options. Any idea what those will be?

Also, I have seen an LX advertised that included a dealer ordered supercharger from Toyota Racing Division (TRD). Any knowledge about the cost, performance and warranty issues with adding one of these?
    There might be some additional info over in the Toyota Racing Development (TRD) aftermarket parts and equipment discussion.

Steve, Host