Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• cam11cam11 Posts: 1
    Has anyone done the rear brakes on a LX470?? I am thinking about doing it myself. Is it worth it? Or is it a total Pain in the rear?? I have always done my own brakes with no problems on all of my American made cars. But my Passatt had to be towed in shamefully!! Was hoping someone could tell me what I am in for?
  • vdragonvdragon Posts: 12
    i have an 05 lx470.

i've been doing the normal every 3k miles service on oil, or oil blend.

should i continue like this, or every 5k miles?

also, is $1086 a fair price for the 30k service done at a lexus dealer (westminster, ca)? from reading this board, it seems the 30k mile services are the important ones... meaning I shouldn't skip them, or go to an independent shop?

thanks!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,407
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what your 30k service should cost in your zip code (and what services Lexus recommends be done - your dealer will undoubtedly recommend more be done, but some of that may not be needed).

I haven't done an oil change on my cars in less than 5,000 miles in over a decade. Why not follow your owner's manual recommendation? Are oil changes every 3,000 miles really needed?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,894
    I just had the oil changed on my LX yesterday at the Lexus dealer. The new sticker shows the next oil change not due for 5,000 miles.

Incidentally, they had a 2008 LX 570 on their used car lot with 8,000 miles. The salesman said the guy who traded it in just wanted a different color. Thinking it might be a good buy I asked what they wanted. Cost new had been $80,000. They were asking $85,000!! :mad:

The salesman said they were all sold out for the next year and a half so they felt like they could ask a premium price. I told him he was nuts! So much for SUVs prices going down.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    AND sold out for a year and a half? Sounds crazy.

My crystal ball predicts that the 570 will be selling with large discounts within the next 12-24 months.. just be patient and enjoy your 470 for a bit longer. Ebay has the 570 going for 90K plus in some instances.. again, CRAZY! It's a nice truck but c'mon! The only way toyota will keep prices this goofy high is if they limit production severely.

Here in "lexus-dealer-'round-every-corner-south fla." the LS460 had crazy prices floating around for the first 6 months..now, yup, you guessed it, heavy discounts for anyone wanting to buy one today. Recently they were being advertised for $8K off MSRP with no strings.
    I bought a 2007 CPO LX 470 about a month ago. It is our second one and we are sold on these things. I am having an issue with a vibrating noise coming from the high/low shift lever area. The frequency of the vibration changes depending on how fast the engine is running. Never happens in neutral or when idling, etc. It almost sounds like a radio sounds when you accelerate and are getting feedback, etc.

Let me be clear here. The noise is not really loud but it is like a mosquito buzzing your ear, etc. The truck is otherwise so quiet that his vibrating noise is very noticeable and irksome. If you put your hand on the hi/low shift lever you can feel it vibrating wildly.

Lexus has looked at it once. They said they took it apart and made some adjustments but it had no effect. Anyone have any ideas?

• I had the same noise coming from my LX470. I took it to two separate Lexus dealerships and was told the noise is normal. The two main techs at both Lexus dealerships told me that they wouldn't recommend or purchase a LX 470. They said the problem has been fixed in the new LX 570. Lexus told me that it is normal noise and the noise is in every LX 470. Some are louder than others. However, the noise in mine was noticeable and annoying. It is almost a vibrating, low volume radio boom noise. It is usually intermittent and the gear box vibrates. They took my car apart 3 times and still did not fix the problem. Eventually Lexus will tell you that it is normal. I don't know how CPOs work. Maybe you have my car that Lexus bought back from me under the Lemon Law. It was a difficult battle. Hard to fight a big company like Lexus.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    Move it into the low range and back a couple of times over a few days (i.e. use the low range occasionally!). Consider changing the fluid to a full synthetic product in the T-case. In my case, these steps eliminated the problem completely.
    Thank you for your reply. I take it you sold the truck back to Lexus under the lemon law because of this issue. Is that correct?

The carfax did not show any lemon law issues but who knows.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

• ka3axka3ax Posts: 5
    Have any one replaced starter on 1999 LX470 ?Do I need take to the shop or it's easy do by my self?
    The starter lies in the V-8 valley, and takes the better part of a day to replace/refurbish. It can be done at home, with the proper tools, information and preferably a helper. Otherwise, taking this one to the shop may be a good idea.
  • roman7roman7 Posts: 15
    I'd like to ask anybody who had experience to change temperature gauges from F to C on the central dash. Any idea how to do so? I think some parts should be available because Lexus for Canada goes in C and km vs. F and ml. Any help will be appreciate! :confuse:
    Please check under the Navigation Setup Menus, there should be a screen where you can set the default language (including French), and metric units (including Celsius vs Fahrenheit scales).
  • I have a '07 LX470 and when downshifting coming down a steep hill, I hear the same vibration. When I hold my hand on bottom of the AC vent closest to the steering wheel, the noise goes away. I haven't taken it in yet to be repaired but it seems the bottom of the vent has a little "play" in it.

When I had an '04 Range Rover the same noise occured and they found that the windshield was not fitted properly. I got rid of the RR and bought the '470 because the RR was in the shop every month.
    I kept hounding my dealer and finally took a tech on a ride with me. This was about a month ago and after the tech rode with me it appears that they eliminated the noise. We have not had any issues since then and the truck has been great.

Also, happily, my gas mileage effectively doubled when gas when from 4 bucks down to 2. :) I have been averaging about 15 combined. Not too bad but, of course, not good either.

• I wish to simply change a parking lamp on a 02 LX 470 (in a housing to the outside of the headlamp). I located the top screw that secures the top of the housing, but am unable to locate the screw that secures the bottom of the housing. Does anybody have an idea where that screw is located?
    I replaced all my OEM headlights with HID. My H1 and H3 working good but 9005 blow fuses.Any one have same problem or any idea to fix problem?Thank you!
    I did replace my.Take a look under bumper and you need flat screwdriver to push small thing to get light came loose.Don't use forse,take a look close .It's easy to do.Hope it's help
  • sblankersblanker Posts: 2
    My LX 470 is a 2002 with the Mark Levinson sound system. I recently brought it to the dealer for the 120K mile service. Since getting it back, I periodically hear a beeping noise, almost like a watch alarm going off. It doesn't last very long -- maybe 3-5 seconds. After a fair amount of trial and error, I'm pretty sure I've isolated the sound as coming from the audio system -- specifically the radio. (When the beeping starts, if I'm quick to turn off the audio system power, it stops.) Does this make sense? Does anyone have any idea what this beeping is all about? I can't find a thing in the instruction manual.
  • harder than most trucks it seems and takes a couple hours even if you know what you are doing. I paid a shop $350, Lexus wanted $900. The mechanic showed me how its underneath everything...under the intake manifold etc...he also talked me into doing the water pump too as i remember for just cost of parts.
  • amauroamauro Posts: 2
    I am debating on buying a 2000 LX 470 with 138,000 miles for 14,500
    REALLY debating if this is a good deal or not. Vehicle seems super clean and nice, loaded.
    We have 3 kids and I want something nice, and of course reliable. I am comparing this potential purchase to a 2002 Toyota Sequoia limited, 4x4 loaded (without dvd).
    Do Lexus' really run forever?? What will be my trade-in-value in 5 years, any??
    I love the car... just wondering if this is too many miles for $14,500.
    I have to make a good purchase.
    Yes, they are fantastic trucks...however...you should be able to find either a later model or a 2000 with fewer miles at that price. Take your time and look around.

• I bought a 2002 LX470 this past August for $25k. It has <45k miles and runs great. I had a 1995 Land Cruiser for 10 years, purchased used in 1999. I put appx. 150k miles and had great reliability. Never left me stranded. I had considered a used LR3, but came to my senses and purchased the LX.
  • :lemon: Just got my LX470 back from the dealership last night after having the ignition cylinder housing/rod problem fixed ($514). Was also told that it needed the following work done: CV boots leaking ($600+), starter needs to be replaced ($815), 90k checkup ($1400), etc. Was hoping to get some input as to what other problems will be lurking out there after I invest the money to get these problems fixed. What other major repairs is everyone experiencing? What is the cost? It has approx 103k miles to date.
    Get the CV boots fixed. Have an independent garage change out the timing belt (the major cost of the 90k service) and check the water pump if it needs replacement. At the same time get the starter contacts serviced (kit is $45, and you don't need a new starter).

All told you should be under $1000, and have a truck ready for the next 100k miles.

At this mileage you can also consider optionally: transmission service, front bearings repack, driveshaft lubrication, transfer case and differential service. Most likely, it would be better to wait until something happens to go after these things if you are not a believer in preventative maintenance.

These trucks are engineered to last about 500k miles providing they are serviced properly.

Good Luck!
  • I have an opportunity to buy an '05 LX470 from a friend. 88K miles - $27,500. I'm familiar with the car an know it's had no mechanical problems and has been serviced regularly per Lexus recommended schedule at Lexus dealershp. The 90K mile service was just completed. Miles are all onroad and most highway.

Thoughts? Advice? I love these trucks but am concerned re: the high mileage. I've read of folks having trouble with the AHC around the 100K mile mark. Any other potential areas of concern for an LX with this mileage? I'd aim to purchase and keep for several years - past the 150K mile mark.
  • We have an LX470 with 140,000 miles and it is a great car. We had to replace a few of the sensors(behind the tires). Luckily we know a mechanic and purchased the parts ourselves so we saved a lot of money. I would buy the sensors yourself at an auto parts store and find someone to do it for you. Other than it being a gas guzzler... it is great! The kids love it, we love it and we just keep filling up the tank!! We expect to drive this to at least 200K
  • Hello, just bought a 2003 LX 470 with 81k miles from a Lexus dealership. Dealer told me it had recently had the 90k mile service which they said costs about $1,000. I assumed this included replacing the timing belt and water pump, which is partly why I decided to purchase it. A week later I found out that the timing belt and water pump in fact had not been replaced.

Did the dealer mislead me here, or did I make a false assumption? Is the timing belt/water pump change part and parcel of the 90k service, or are they separate services that just typically are performed at the same time?

Finally, since I only have 81k miles, is it necessary for me to replace the timing belt/water pump right away, or can I wait until I actually hit 90k miles or maybe more?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,407
    Although it's usually recommended that the water pump be changed when the timing belt is done at 90,000 miles (since you're already in there anyway), it's not part of the recommended service by Lexus. But the timing belt is, so yeah, the dealer lied if they said they did a 90k service and didn't change the belt.

I've been reading more posts in the various discussions here that people aren't replacing water pumps as often since they are lasting longer. Most of those posts involve cars that have a 60,000 mile timing belt change interval, and some of those owners are waiting until the second timing belt replacement to replace the water pump.

I'm sure if you called the service department, the service writer would recommend you do the water pump at 90k. But service writers typically work on commission and they'll recommend all kinds of stuff that the manufacture doesn't.

If the dealer is charging $1,000 for the 90k service, then they are charging more than twice what Edmunds says it should cost.

I think I'd contact Lexus corporate and tell them that the dealer lied about the 90k service. Maybe they'll do the belt free and you can pay for the water pump then. But hang onto your wallet at this place!

Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.