Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• Not sure about those issues, seems the EM are covered under the drive train warranty but I'd double check with Lexus. I don't worry about that stuff since mine is Certified. Remember you are buying one of the best vehicles ever made. Repairs 'should' be minimal with only 51K miles. The one you are looking at or have bought seems to have been well maintained and previously owned by a consciencous person.

Good luck
  • Hi all, has anyone bought anything from fleetrates.com? Their quote for 04 LX470 is $4,700 less than what the dealer gave me. What is reasonable for a LX470 with everything except the rear DVD, nightview and lexus link? I am so confused by all the different quotes out there. Thanks a lot for your input.
  • When I first heard about tax code 179, I was so dead certain I was getting a lexus in a week. After I talk to 2 different CPAs, I was very disappointed by the fact that neither of them are willing to write off the whole SUV for me in the category of business equipment. Both of them told me that the law really does not make a whole lot difference when it comes to claiming something this big. On top of that, such a big expense would definitly be an audit trigger. They also told me that the insurance will be higher and I would have to pay a high tax on my new "property" if I claim the SUV for business. I am a dentist and would love to jump on the Act 179 bandwagon. Any suggestion is appreciated.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    Buy what you like and let tax considerations become a distant second concern....

my .02 :-)

Steve, Host
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Even with the new rule allowing a business to write off the cost of a new truck - it still needs to have a valid business reason. As I recall - providing transportation between home and work is not a valid reason.

If you are audited you could always claim you use it to pull teeth!
  • texbmwtexbmw Posts: 25
    You are correct. Everyone would do well to remember that the vehicle must be used in the active conduct of a trade or business. This deduction was intended to allow small businesses to buy delivery trucks and such, not for people to buy nice SUVs for personal transport. Deductions of this type probably are an "audit trigger" and the IRS probably won't have muich sympathy. However, the IRS has only a limited number of staff to review hundreds of millions of returns. Each taxpayer has to conduct their own risk analysis.
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    I have been hearing little whispers about the new LX called the LV to be released as an '06 next year. It will be based on the Sequoia, but has anyone read or heard more details like options, style etc.?
    You may want to look around the Future Vehicles board. Maybe Kirstie has heard rumors.

Steve, Host
  • I was at the dealer this past weekend. When asked the same question about future 470 based on Sequoia the associate laughed it off. He thought 470 will always be based on LC with limited production of only 6 - 7k.
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    I would think a dealer would be the last to know, unless it was the GM. If a redesign was discussed with customers, who would buy this years models. As I look at some of the magazine sites that discuss cars, they are predicting it next year, but touting an 06 badge.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I expect the LX to stay Land Cruiser based, and a tarted up Sequoia to become an LZ or something - another model altogether. The LX is too solid to go away, IMO.
  • I would like to know if anyone is discounting the 2004 LX 470 yet. In the Reno area, they are not. I'm willing to go anywhere in the US if the "Price is Right"
  • I read on another Lexus LX 470 forum that to make a call on the voice activated phone, you must come to a stop, unless you are using the 10 pre programed numbers. Also, I understand that you cannot make a call if you are moving. Is this correct?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Well, if it is, that will be a deal breaker. I don't know how to drive if I'm not on the phone.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Try fleetrates.com or go yo Lexus.com and list other dealers. In NJ you can get about $4-5k off list at Ray Catena. Everyone seems to say JM Lexus in Florida is a great place to go as well.
  • need help with negotiating.....i have been given a totally loaded lx price of $69k....they are willing to discount $4,600...resulting in $64.4k...how does this fare? I am in the philly area...all info would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!
  • Bought my ‘01 LX-470 from JM Lexus. I’m ready to buy an ‘04 now. I’ve been trying to get a competitive price quote from South FL. Lexus salespersons on an '04 LX-470 (Blk/Gray w/ Night Vision and Mark Levinson) without luck so far. According to both Edmunds and Consumer Reports, “List Price is $68,280”…”Invoice is $59,285”…less Dealer Holdback ($1,284) = “Dealer Cost $58,001” . I did what Edmund's and CR say to do...”Look up dealers cost and ask how much over invoice are you willing to take?" When price is agreed upon, “have salesperson fax worksheet confirming agreed upon price plus, taxes and license.” (Easier said than done.)

I checked posts from people who shopped around and bought the car, they say they paid $500. - $1700. over what the dealer paid. Any FL. salespeople willing to step up and sell a car for a fair profit?
  • Has anyone had experience with the Night Vision option? Please tell me if you like it and if you think it is worth waiting for an LX-470 equipped with one. Thanks!
  • ifpskenifpsken Posts: 39
    I picked up an LX last week through Fleetrates and took delivery through Santa Monica Lexus (Calif). Fleetrates.com is a broker and call their fleet contacts at the dealerships. There was no disputes or frustrations, the dealer wrote up the LX at the price I received from Fleetrates.

I had also contacted my local dealer (whom I had purchased my 1998 LX from) and was told they could not beat the price I was given. They also indicated that they were not dealing much on the LX due to limited supply.

I also acquired a SP LS. That delivery was through a different dealer. Once again, no haggling on the price given to me from Fleetrates.
    It sounds like the Florida litigation against Fleetrates is still on-going. Anyone know any more about it?

steve_ "Lexus GX 470: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" Nov 15, 2003 3:21pm

Steve, Host