Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You have a loss claim with your Insurance Co, right? Get a Lawyer and sue for any damages above what the Insurance covers. But, why would you want another Lexus if this one just about killed you?
  • My insurance company (AAA) is giving me a hard time (I posted about it in the insurance section) because they didn't change the policy from my old 2000 Lexus SUV into the new one that I bought in 2002.

I caught the problem earlier this year and had at least one phone call and one letter (not sent certified, but I did save a copy) notifying them of the fact they had the old car on the policy erroneously. But it's a he-said/she-said thing at this point and they're giving me a hard time.

There were other inaccuracies on the policy - showing cars and people who no longer should have been on my policy - they took them off, but they hadn't yet corrected the year of the Lexus, and the last time I notified them about it (in writing) was in late November. Then, this happened Dec 23rd and now they're telling me the policy still had the 2000 car listed and so this car is not covered...even though they were taking my premium checks and even renewed the policy in October with me having told them how the policy should be corrected.

Any suggestions of what else I should do at this point?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    As far as the insurance problem goes, most (all?) states have divisions of insurance set up to handle complaints from consumers. The insurance industry is heavily regulated and you should get a fast response once you ask the state to step in. You may not like the response, but it'll get shaken out fast.

Steve, Host
    Oh, for Pete's sake! You've got to be kidding me!! AAA is pulling that crap on you? Steve is exactly right, I'd get in touch with your State's Division of Insurance pronto, that's first, then I'd find a good former Insurance

Defense attorney, and hire him. You're gonna need him. Shame on AAA, that's just shameful, but after taking your premiums every month, I doubt they can even come close to getting away with it, and they shouldn't even try if all you're trying to recover is the vehicle. If you were trying to recover a couple million for personal injury, I could see them throwing up a defense, but over $60,000? They should write that check all day long, that's a rounding error to those guys. Call a good lawyer.
  • Let me clear one thing up...AAA hasn't denied coverage, and they may not. They are just saying they have to investigate. My policy renewed in October, though, and I sent in MORE $ than I even owed, just because I thought since they hadn't changed the policy yet to show the correct year/VIN for the new car, I wanted to be sure I was fully covered.

Should I wait and see if they deny me before I get a lawyer, or get one now? Ditto contacting the state insurance division?

Thanks
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    Well, if you complain to the state insurance division because you think they are taking too long to make a decision, AAA will know you'll complain again if the decision isn't in your favor.

Or they may come through anyway, and you'll have made much ado for nothing....

Steve, Host
    Wait on the Lawyer though. Getting one too quickly can escalate things unnecessarily.
  • Don't know if you have made your decision yet, but I wanted to give my two cents worth as we recently went thru the same decision process. The GX is a nice vehicle, however we were concerned about a few items (minor):

1. The rear opening hatch swings to the side vs. the split hatch on the LX

2. The width of the GX is a bit on the narrow side. We have two car seats and can still sit a third person (or additional car seat in the LX. 3 across seating in the GX is next to impossible.

3. The additional width also helps in the front seat with additional storage/arm rests in the LX470.

4. The GX has a better sounding Levinson system (not much better, but it benefits from additonal speakers and sub woofer).

5. The navigation system in the GX is considered version 2 and version 3 (more capabilities) in the LX. However, they are designed by different companies and th version 2 seems to have a more up to date map. (Our neighbors have a 2004 GX470 and we have a 2005 LX470, yet they can use the navigation to get to and from the house, we cannot!)

I am rambling a bit now, but we like the additional size of the LX and it fit our needs. It is a bit quieter than the GX and it can run all day...anywhere you like. We also checked out the Range Rover, Land Rover LR3 and and were not overly impressed by either vehicle.

The GX is much more reasonably priced, but it did not have the feel of the LX. Also, the upcoming GX with Sport package looks like it will be a blast to drive with the nudge up in horsepower. We feel the LX is fine, granted it is not a Cayenne turbo but it gets us where we want to go and the torque gives the zip need to deal with pretty much any situation (except drag racing).

Hope this helps.
  • TAIL GATE, no suv should be without one and the GX has rear door! Unfortunately the LX is on its last years so you are buying an obsolete vehicle. Can you wait till 2006 or 2007, I can.
  • lamboolamboo Posts: 4
    I'm considering a new or slightly used SUV and have narrowed my choices down to the LX 470 and the RR. The recent exchanges on the two have been quite helpful. I seek clarification on a couple of fronts:

1. When does Lexus plan to introduce a new version of the LX and how radical a redesign is expected - freshening, upgrade, redesign?

2. Has the reliability experience on the 2003 and later RR been better that prior models or are people still experiencing the legacy problems?

3. My bias is to go for a used LX (say "02 or '03) and wait for the new LX in a year or two assuming there is a major redesign. However, I'd swing to the RR in a minute if reliability is getting better. Any thoughts or counsel?

Thanks!
    If reliability matters - get the Lexus. If you're willing to put up with some maintenance and that won't make you pull your hair out, (because there will be some), the Rover may be more fun.
  • caltricaltri Posts: 5
    I too was debating between the RR and LX. Both are luxurious, can off road, and provide a nice quiet ride. I like both the interiors too, although the LX used more wood. But I liked the leather in the RR better. Now, for the exterior styling, the RR trumps the LX by a long shot. My friend said the LX looked like a soccer mom car as opposed to the RR, which is more like a business executive's car, like an SUV version of the 7 Series or S Class. One of my co-workers has a 2003 RR and has had no problem with it. I am definitely going to purchase a 2006 RR with the improved engine and technological advancements. I just know that if I get the LX I will always envy a RR and think that I too could have such a handsome classy elegant vehicle had I spent an extra few thousand dollars.
    If you have that good a grip on your personal "envy" factor, then you are undoubtedly doing the right thing. Nothing less will do for you. You can try to talk yourself into something else, but every time a RR rolls by in front of you, you're gonna watch it and wish it was yours, and hate what you have instead. It's not worth it. Wait for it, or get it now, but get what you want either way. I agree. I once justified a more "practical" purchase on a 2 year lease. Saved some money, and while it was a good car, I never liked it, and couldn't WAIT for the lease to end so I could go get what I wanted. Never again.
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    Anyone know why they lowered the tow rating to 5000 lbs for the 2003 + LX. Toyota LCs still have 6500 lbs tow capacity. I want to get a new LX but am disappointed that they lowered the two rating.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    But there ain't that many RR's rolling around town. Besides, the resale value of those RR can be a real downer ! On a complete comparo, the LX is a much better deal than the RR, but if your heart is set on an RR, pls go for it. I am looking for an LX for the wife. The RR never made it on my list (friend has an 03 RR).... I am not impressed by it tho'.
  • moj1moj1 Posts: 11
    i got '05 gx470 and test drove lx.

i liked the LX much better, but parking it in San Francisco would have been a hassle. also the current model is getting old (the salesman, who knew about other up-coming models, was unaware when the new model will be introduced.)

overall i'm happy with the gx, but there are some gripes. Gx is nice, but luxury amenities are just okay. leather quality is way better than our sequoia but not as nice as LX or the our SC430. mark levinson is nice and is about the same quality. But ML in my SC430 sounds so much more better that it makes the gx sounds just adequate. gx drives a little floaty. LX felt more comfortable without the floaty feeling.

overall, i'm happy with the gx470 and feel i made the right choice with the gx470 over the LX. but when the new LX model comes out, i'm trading it in for the LX.
  • In a week of superbly enjoyable LX470 ownership, I've nearly backed into several inanimate objects hidden behind the high back window.

My 1999 didn't come with any park-assist, so what can I install here? A rear-facing camera is ideal but would mean another screen, and I'm already having trouble getting my Navman removable nav-sat unit getting nicely placed.

So an audible warning device would be ideal. And if everyone agrees with that choice, what brand should I look for? There's some bad buys out there, and I don't want a dog after getting my paint shop to expensively install the sensors in the bumper.

Ken Silver
  • djt21djt21 Posts: 13
    In 2003 I purchased a brand new RR after coming off 2 earlier (2000 & 2002 LX 470's), yes the new RR is a more reliable vehicle than the previous generation - but not by much. I wound up selling the RR after 6 months of ownership. For a newly designed (BMW engineered) product I quickly became frustrated by the growing list of small, but in my opinion unacceptable problems with the truck - electrical gremlins, vibrations when turning the wheel, noises and rattles. I felt that If I was dealing with these issues at only 3,000 miles on the odometer what would the next 50,000 miles be like.

Don't get me wrong, the RR is a beautiful vehicle inside and out, much more stylish than the LX470. But $70,000 happens to be a lot of money to me when purchasing a vehicle, I soon realized that even though I was tired of the LX470's looks it's still the most reliable, comfortable, "bullet-proof" SUV on the road. I wound up trading the 03 RR for an 04 LX with no regrets. Good luck.
  • OK - moving on... now I'm more inclined to use a rear vision camera after getting more information about their advantages over a sonar.

Donnelly (http://www.donnelly.com/) seem to put out some good units. Anyone used them, or know any more about them?

Ken Silver.
    Donnelly makes most of the mirrors for Ford. Very nice units. Some though are prone to early failure. Check the warranty.