Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Are Your Thoughts on the Return of the Taurus/Sable?

Comments

• albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    About as boring as any of the other "competitors"

About everyone on this forum will tell you that 300/charger/GrandPrix/ Maxima aren't boring. Lucerne and Avalon aren't bad looking either-ten times better looking than 500.
    Is the 500 a bad looking car? No. Is it a good looking car? No. Here's my scale:
    ugly nothing Beautiful
    -10 ... 0 ... 10
    500 and freestyle get 0's. THey have no style. Montego get's a 2. It looks a little nice. Mercury gives it some nice touches. But there is no perk that makes me want this car. it has no pickup. Backseat is awesome but so is 300/Charger. Trunk is awesome, but charger/ Avalon/ Impala's aren't bad either. Ford just has a bland inexpensive car hear. (300's don't cost that much either...)
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    And using that analogy, 300 is a -8, Camry and Avalon are 0, the new model maybe a 1. Parked next to an '05 Camry in my '05 Freestyle, and suddenly saw exactly what Ford was doing on the syle, copying the best selling car as far as looks went. And the '07 restyle is less inovative than the minor changes we see on the '08 Taurus. The content changes (options, engine, etc.) seem much more significant than anything I saw on the Toyota "Restyle". Oh, and the Maxima and Pontiac aren't boring? Maybe fugly?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    Per our membership agreement, please update the e-mail listed in your profile to a valid address. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    Have to disagree on the rating of the Five Hundred and 300. I owned a 05 LTD AWD Five Hundred for almost a year and traded for a 06 300C AWD. Compliments and positive remarks were lopsidedly biased towards the Chrysler. And now having owned and drove both for almost 20K I have to agree. Not everyone will agree with me...that's fine...that's why they make so many different cars. But I've owned and drove both and the Chrysler is a better driver...IMO. ;)
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Although looks and style are subjective, the Ford 500 makes a statement without perhaps projecting an image of the driver, for those who are into impressing others.

It is a sober, tall, imposing car that commands respect on the road. But most of all is a strong and safe car which it will be greatly improved when officially becomes the Taurus. This is also true for the soon to be the Montego.

While owning a Sable wagon, I enjoyed, among other things, its utilitarian nature and comfort. It served me well and, to me was a serious and handsome vehicle which showed understated beauty. I never impressed anyone nor did I really care other peoples' comments and unsolicited opinions about it.

I'm very optimistic and hopeful and that the new Taurus will break the Accord/Camry dynasty, although it (Taurus) apparently will compete with the Avalon and 300.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    The Taurus name is a good move...to draw attention to a car that can stand out no other way. It's anonymous and it's boring, even if it performs just fine in a field of cars that do the same. Bottom line, it ain't gonna save Ford.

I agree that the 1986 to 1995 Sable wagon had a certain understated je n'ai ce quoi, even though at the same time, it stood out. The 1996 on was awkwardly styled, even goofy. The weirdness of it eventually killed sales. The 2008 is understated again, but this time almost to the point of anonymity. Ford's in trouble, yet all they seem to be able to bring to the table are more yawns.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    In defense of the barnstormer, the Freestyle and the Five Hundred may be a little on the Camry-dull side, but I have great admiration and regard for both vehicles. Rather than being Mazda 6 underneath, these two cars are Volvo S-80 under there, which is a fine machine, and ergo; these two vehicles handle extremely well, are comfortable to sit in, and should be excellent long term cars, plus, they are as roomy and useful as they come. I think the barnstormer is practical and wise, if not a little on the dull side....
    Heck, excitement is overrated anyway....
    Well, of course Barnstormer made a good decision and is happy with his choice. The problem for Ford is most buyers are not nearly as practical as he. It doesn't matter how good a vehicle might be, if there are factors that make it less than a good seller.

Ford needs something to sell really well...not just in numbers that might be profitable for that nameplate (like Fusion), but a real blockbuster, or a series of them. It is the only way the company is going to recover from the slide into oblivion that Bill and the board began several years ago.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    Wow, going from the AWD Five Hundred to an AWD 300C is like going from a horse & buggy to the starship Enterprise in terms of power. What are your thoughts regarding the power in the upcoming Taurus AWD with the 263 HP engine? I am certain that you are paying a mileage penalty going from the 200 HP 6 in the Five Hundred to the 340HP 8 in the 300C.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    As the owner of a Freestyle, I don't really care what they call it, it is simply a great vehicle. And the main reason I purchased is for the AWD and 5 star ratings from all test sources.
    Are all 300Cs with AWD (didn't even know they had that), V8s? Didn't see anything in the post stating that. It would seem that too much power on a vehicle that had a low ground clearance, would be counter productive. It would only need that much power for serious off road or towing capabilities. And I don't think anyone would argue that the 500, Freestyle, Taurus or 300C are either of the above.
    :surprise:
    Smiles per gallon offset the mpg difference. The Five Hundred was a disappointment mileage wise. Most of the time less than 25 in the summer and too many tanks of 17 to 18 mpg in the winter with the Ford. 23 is about the best I've ever seen with the Chrysler but it's hard to stay out of the gas pedal with the Hemi. The 300 is just a much better all around car...IMO. Absolutely no interest in the new "Taurus" with the 3.5. I'm afraid the Five Hundred soured me on Ford's for the immediate future. And I've purchased more new Fords in the past than any other brand.
    The 300 with AWD came with either the 3.5 V-6 or the 5.7 V-8. As far as too much power...I've yet to experience that with any vehicle I've ever owned.
  • I just can't believe what FOMOCO is doing! They are not listening to their loyal buyers or they would have their head out of the sand & start doing the things they need to do to turn the business around! I find it very stupid to take the Ford 500 & rebadge it and call it the "new" Taurus! Why did they stop making the Taurus in the 1st place? The old Taurus is far better looking than the 500 or the Fusion!!
    Toyota is sure leading the way, I think our US automakers should do a complete study on what the Toyota people are doing right & what Ford is doing wrong!! I am on my 27th Ford & right now when I am getting ready to buy, I really see nothing that Ford has that really interests me!! SAD!!!! :(
    I hear what you are saying, and it will be a long time before all the bad feelings engendered by Ford squandering its lead and market share of just a few years ago with arrogantly out of touch business decisions. An ineffective and rubberstamping board was part of it, but I digress.

In the meantime consider that even though the 500 is plainer than the old Taurus was, it is a better vehicle. I wouldn't buy a 2007, but with the better engine, sound deadening and improved interior of the 2008 Taurus, it may be worth a look to you. The Fusion too. It offers more hp than Taurus ever did (save the SHO which never sold worth a darn anyway). And the Fusion has more current styling, even if you did prefer the ovoid Taurus.

And if sedans are no longer your thing, how about the Edge or the 2008 Escape? Ford has a bunch of duds in the stable yet, but they are cleaning up. They need to speed up new model intros....a lot. But the Crown Vic will only be for fleets next year (Yeah!...I cannot believe they have sold that dinosaur for this long without an update, but they did...for shame). But do drive a Fusion and then see what you think. If you wait another month, you can compare it to the Taurus too.
  • savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    In what sense interior of ‘08Taurus/Sable is better than interior of 500/Motego? Lately Ford figured out the way to make expensive interiors that look cheap. It is probably Ford’s new know-how that differentiates it from other automakers.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    They sold more Crown Vics then Five Hundreds. Hopefully they will sell more taurus' then Crown Vics in just the last 6 months of this year. That should be their goal.

Those Grand Marquis' though are so cheap, even if they are outdated, you can get a really good deal on them. We payed 10k for one that was one year old with 28k miles on it.
  • fomoconafomocona Posts: 19
    Ford is listening and appreciates your loyalty. The Taurus has great name recognition and with the revamped 2008 model year, it just made sense. Back in February of this year, Ford CEO, Alan Mullaly stated that "In hindsight, we would have just made the Five Hundred the new version of the Taurus. It's clear to me now that if I'd been here earlier we'd have just announced it as the newest model of the Taurus family." Further the Taurus has "80% instant name recognition; only 40%, even after all the work we've done to date, recognize the Five Hundred." Thanks again for your loyalty.
  • dgcownerdgcowner Posts: 4
    I like your write-up and agree that the 2008 Taurus is a better vehicle with enhanced safety, and is roomier. I own a 2005 Taurus wagon and 1990 Taurus sedan and I really like both vehicles but the 500/Freestyle is a more advanced platform.

On another note, Ford Fusion's built after January 2007 have enhanced front structures and perform better in the both the front offset and side impact crash tests by the Insurance Institute. The link is : linkhttp://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=561.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    I think Ford missed a naming opportunity by not calling the new Taurus the "Taurus 500" (or Five Hundred).
  • basiliskstbasiliskst Posts: 55
    In fairness to Ford, the new 2008 Taurus is more than just a rebadged 2007 Ford 500. The addition of the new modern engine and the new six-speed automatic transmission means the other half of an all new car finally arrived. The body and interior may be recognizable derivations of the 500, but the new drive train is transformational and deserves a new, more marketable name. I could have gone with Galaxy but Taurus works too. The recent quality awards give Ford a chance to reboot expectations and marketing. Ford should do so.

The interior space and ride are compelling reasons to consider Ford's new Taurus. Ford has to overcome the fear that reliability and quality will be less than the perceived "safe" bets and must assure consumers Ford will be around to back its product.

I'm an extremely pleased 2005 Ford Focus ST owner. It's been bulletproof and delivered everything I wanted and more. It's my least expensive car in the fleet and my favorite to drive. It literally makes me grin every time I drive it. Ford quality is better than the current consumer perception of Ford quality. Ford manufacturing is doing something right. Ford product development I'm still concerned about. The 2008 Ford Focus doesn't impress me as a styling upgrade. However, the 2008 Ford Taurus is a step up over the prior 500.

I think the Taurus renaming marketing bet will pan out and I like that CEO Mulally didn't waste time making the decision. Ford's dug a deep hole but Mulally has good instincts and has stopped the digging. The new Taurus is at least one rung up on the ladder out.
This discussion has been closed.