Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Are Your Thoughts on the Return of the Taurus/Sable?

Comments

• Probably so . . but then any problems with it, and people would be saying "Why did Ford rush it to market without fully testing it?" :P
  • I sat in the 500 at an auto show, when it first came out. Its interior was cavernous and well-constructed. Why would anyone, I thought, need an SUV with the 500 available? I predicted it would nab the taxi and cop fleet sales too......but it never happened. Ford saddled it with a weak engine (although its acceleration times are comparable to the competition.) Ford also should have switched it to RWD, to better compete with the 300/Charger........point is, the 500 will have a new engine and a venerable name. This name change will do wonders, mark my words.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    Yep, and there is more than 1 way to be dumped. When Bill or Jacques at that time, weren't smart enough to recognize JRs perfection at his job, they quit listening. That's enough to dump me, how about you? BTW I think you are very knowledgeable in your postings, just a lot "nicer" when you take your meds. :)
  • Lots of talk about the 500's acceleration - or lack thereof. First off, based on Motor Trend tests, a Duratec Taurus was quicker than a 500 from 0-60 and in the quarter mile. Imagine a Taurus owner with a fully broken in engine test driving a new "tight" 500. It would not only seem slower - it is slower.

But there is more to it than that. As mentioned, few people care about 0-60. How about ability to hold top gear on a long grade? Every 6 speed 500 I have driven has a tendency to downshift too easily on even slight grades or when requesting even slight acceleration. The 3.0 is not the quietest engine around and it sounds like it is mounted to the console instead of under the hood. While the gearing of the 6 speed helps WOT acceleration, it otherwise makes for a very busy and noisy powertrain.

The frequent downshifts/upshifts and resulting noise gives the perception of lack of power. And that perception has a good dose of reality! The 2008 3.5 Taurus with the 6F transmission (I assume the 6F) and more sound insulation will be a huge improvement.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Now I see the same already tired ad for the Edge day and night. OK, so the Edge is an Orange boxy vehicle that can ride on 2 wheels and on the sides of buildings. That is ALL this ad conveys, besides a catchy tune.

Marketing people, in general, are overpaid grown-up third graders. Fords' marketers apparently ARE third graders.

That Edge commercial, besides catchy tune, has pleasant looking actress. With a little bit of tweaking, that commercial could have been for some type of exotic restaurant at the top of a high building.

One positive about the Edge is it's name. At least it's a word and not an acronym.

I wonder if vehicle buyers today, who are asked to plunk down min $30K for a nice appointed crossover/wagon, would be interested in old-fashioned commercials showing "actual" attributes (hauling capacity, seating comfort, ease of loading groceries/boxes, room for children/dog/suitcases, etc).

500 name change to Taurus will be a non-event soon. I would guess that other than auto enthusiasts/junkies, most people in the market for this type vehicle and an "American" brand will either forget this renaming, will not make much of it, or did not even notice it.

Beside former satisfied Taurus customers, there are a whole new generation of possible buyers for the new Taurus (younger people, immigrants) who were not part of market of original and following generations of Tauri.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Thanks for that. I dont try to mean, but sometimes that's all I can be. It's just me being me.

I agree 100% with what youre saying. Didn't know you knew the background. But yeah, in essense when they stop listening to you, it's like you're dumped so it's time to look around. BTW, though Jacques Nasser was and is a racist amoung other things, he was and is a car guy who championed the LS. It was Bill the Dufus who killed it.
    Yeah and to top it all off, there is NO WAY for the driver to take control becaue of the idiotic "D-L" shifter.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Heck, we are all racist in one direction or another. Can't escape it in this color-obsessed culture. Setting aside his racist tendencies, I'm positive that Nasser would not have let Ford slip so low. I had a feeling when he was dumped (justified or not) that it was the beginning of truly bad times for the company again.
  • Add a small diesel and they might have something.

They wan't sell me another without a good small diesel.
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    Whoever said 500 outaccelerates 300 3.5-what are you thinking?since when does a heavier underpower car go faster than a lighter more powerful one?
    Pontiac GP has 3 less hp and still outaccelerates it.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    So many people warned Ford in the first place when they decided to change all names of their cars with the letter "F" (besides for the SUV's with the letter E), that it's a dumb move. (And so is Mercury with the letter M).

It's simple to understand that it won't help the company in any way, just make everything ConFusing.

Now they gonna bring back the Taurus & Sable name, even though it doesn't start with an F or an M. IMO the whole idea is not smart because it's not the same class and size as the Taurus. The Taurus is a midsize sedan and the Five Hundred a full size - actually one of the biggest vehicels and huge trunk.

But what really makes me sick is the name game they're playing aroung. Forgot about names. Do the homework. Even with the new engine and stability control and improved NVH, it will still be behind the competition in many areas. Especially in the interior department.
  • I wonder if vehicle buyers today, who are asked to plunk down min $30K for a nice appointed crossover/wagon, would be interested in old-fashioned commercials showing "actual" attributes (hauling capacity, seating comfort, ease of loading groceries/boxes, room for children/dog/suitcases, etc).

Ford is not the only car company that has this issue. It amazes me how badly cars are marketed these days. There are very few cars out there that can sell themselves on looks alone (let's face it, most cars look alike and this ain't the 50s). Car buyers want to see features, size, mileage, technology, etc. Feeling and emotion can work well in a $5 or $50 purchase, but when the cost reaches $20,000 or more, you need something more tangible. Especially from a car company that really only has one "special" car (the Mustang).

If Ford wanted a very cheap way to improve its marketing, it could spruce up its website and add lots of pictures and videos of the functionality of its cars. They're website is terrible right now. I suppose the idea is to get you to go look closer at the dealership, but I'd do that anyway if the website got me interested.
  • The frequent downshifts/upshifts and resulting noise gives the perception of lack of power

A good reason to get the CVT, instead. ;)
  • Whoever said 500 outaccelerates 300 3.5-what are you thinking?since when does a heavier underpower car go faster than a lighter more powerful one?

Did somebody say that?

BTW, at DragTimes.com, here's the 1/4 miles numbers:

Five Hundred: 16.4 seconds, ending at 86.1 mph

300 Touring: 15.8 seconds, ending at 87.1 mph

Not all that different, considering the 3.0L to 3.5L change.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    0 - 60, due to transmission and gearing. Of course it loses in the quarter mile (and is loud as a pig doing it), but how many 500 drivers ever do that?
    "A good reason to get the CVT instead"

Ford gives you 2 choices of gears: D or L and ONE choice of transmission. Since the "D-L" shift gate was supposedly designed for the CVT it would be nice if the buyer could get one. Instead, Ford gives us a 6 speed transmission without the ability to control it. IOW, instead of redesigning the shift gate mecahnisms and software to be optimized for the transmission used, Ford just uses what they already have and throws it in all their cars from the Fusion to Edge to 500 to Lincolns. Bold move, eh?
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    :confuse: Do the Edge, Fusion and '07 MickeyZ have the new Ford/GM 6 speed? I was just wondering if the new 6speed still has the D-L shifter? If so, I would agree, the new CEO needs to look at things like this also. I will be really interested in if and when the Interceptor and MickeyR come out, and how they will be equipped. Also think a new Taurus SHO would be a really good attention grabber, and even if not too many buy them, would be along the lines of the "Hemi" hype. Vast majority of the DCX buyers go for the smaller engine, but the perception helps the car's image. That is probably the root of all the "underpowered" comments on the 500/FS. Wouldn't have been a problem if one had a choice of a bigger engine. It never fails to amaze me that bigger faster hype continues even after the >$3 gas prices of last year. Heck I even got a V8 in the new Explorer because of the talk of how much better it was on the Explorer board, the 4.0 V6 it replaced was really fine for me.
  • Edge/MKX have the Ford/GM (6F) but Fusion and MKZ still use the Aisin unit, I believe. I presume the 2008 Taurus will use the 6F. It has better gear spacing for acceleration and supposedly less tendency to "hunt" for the right gear when cruising over inclines, etc. In their present form, I don't think either of these gearboxes will handle more than 300 HP. That is a God's plenty for this type of car but not a competitor to a Hemi.

Yes, absolutely, Ford needs to dump this D-L shifter!
  • I was a big fan of CVT but it seems to be dead at Ford. I only drove an AWD 500 one time but I liked the CVT for its smoothness.
    AFAIK, Ford puts 6 speed trannies in all that stuff - Fuzhon, Meelan, MickeyZ (I love that one, thanks), Edge, MickeyX, 500 - ooops Imean the BRAND NEW TAURUS and TAURUS - X and of course the car named after a womans' neck wrap or a small, pesky, furry varmint take your pick.

No more CVTs again AFAIK, but every one of the cars I mentioned above has Grandmas' D-L shifter. Puhleeze, Ford, make a single Bold Move and put a real shifter in your cars, like everyone else ..
This discussion has been closed.