Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• extended deadline...

A reporter is looking to talk with drivers of the Lincoln Navigator and the Acura 3.5 RL. If you fit this description and are willing to share your story and contact information, please respond asap no later than Friday Aug. 9 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern to jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    Road Test: 2003 Lincoln Navigator

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    Just got back from a short weekend getaway... as I was driving home I noticed the wheel shaking pretty bad at 30-40mph... at higher speeds the truck's ride got really rough also. I checked the tires and they seem fine. It seems like it has got a bad wheel alignment problem, but do these things just pop up out of nowhere? Yesterday everything was fine! Looks like I'm heading back to the dealer for yet another minor but annoying problem. I really WANT to like this truck but it just isn't giving me many reasons to do so. Lease is up in 11 months and counting....
    It seems the "shakes" I described on the above post were due to bad tires! Yep, after only 16K miles and absolutely NO off-roading my service rep advised me that the tires on the truck were bad and needed to be replaced. Needles to say I was shocked! I would think tires would go bad so quickly only if there was a bad alignment problem for quite some time, but I've taken the truck in for regular maintenance without a whisper from the service reps that there was a problem.

I must give Ford their due credit though because instead of giving me excuses as to why the tires went bad they simply decided to change all five tires at no cost to me (just a $50 wheel alignment). Yes, it is an inconvenience to have to go back to the dealer for new tires so soon, but it is refreshing to see a company willing to help out their customers quickly and efficiently when a problem like this pops up. I hope to have my Navigator back this afternoon and am crossing my fingers that the "shakes" will be gone for good! Has any other navigator owner out there had similar tire issues?
  • Sorry for the major spam attack, but this one kinda sounds like fun...

A contact of ours is looking for a group of luxury SUV enthusiasts who would be willing to come to Irvine, CA August 24th from 9am to 3pm for a test drive, focus group and lunch. Participants will be compensated for their time. If you are interested in participating in this event, please send an email with your contact information as well as the model vehicle you drive to: chotti@earthlink.net.
    Thanks for your consideration!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Continental just announced a recall for 2000 and some 2001 gators and Expy tires which might explain the dealers action.
  • For what it's worth, I'm just completing a 4 year stint with my leased 99 Navigator. Have 58,000 miles on the clock. Only repair in 4 years was an 0 ring about a year ago that evacuated my A/C coolant. I'm so pleased and impressed with the car, I just bought it out of the lease. Something I have only done once before. I recently drove the competition, including the Sequioa, which didn't impress me much. The 03 Navigator is awesome, but too expensive now, and they're not dealing yet. I'll wait with this one. It's just fine.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    Continental Tire Recall

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

After just having all of my tires replaced I open up the newspaper and read that the tires are being recalled.. MY 2000 2wd navigator fits the recall profile. Just thinking that I drove several hundred miles on these tires over the summer with my wife and 9 month old make me cringe. When my vehicle started shaking badly on my last trip I thought it was just an isolated problem.. guess not. While I was happy to have my tires replaced quickly and easily, I can't help but feel that my dealer knew there were issues with these tires for a while now (hence the quick fix). I really hope Ford (and all other manufacturers)are learning their lesson and will provide safe tires in the future. I know nothing about tire science and don't know if these problems could have been foreseen or if someone's just been cutting corners to save $$. I thank God these tires did not cause me or my family harm. By the way, my Navigator is running smooth as can be with the new Michelin Cross Terrain Suv tires... I PRAY these tires are safe!
  • You know, nobody purposefully puts "bad tires" on their new product. That would be suicidal. Of course, there is always bidding and price comparison issues, and that's how subcontractors, like Firestone, or Continental get their tires on the cars. From my insider friends, I can tell you that Bill Ford has told his dealers to take care of their customers or else. I can also assure you that from this point on, nobody will be more safety conscious than Ford will, as evidenced by the Michelin replacement tires the dealer put on for you. I've never heard of a Michelin tire failing, so drive with confidence.
  • We are considering buying a 03 Navigator, have looked at and driven it, very nice. Will be ordering a black exterior with a black interior, just happened to see one the other day and the top half of interior is a light color which looks very strange. Does anyone know if this is the way they are with the black interior. Would look so much better if the ceiling was black or dark grey also.
  • Bailey, I disagree with you, (sorry). One of the things that attracted me to Lincoln in 1990 was the two-tone interiors, and it's one of the things that has kept me coming back all these years. I think it's classy. Many Lincolns have a two-tone theme, dash, carpet/seats/headliner, etc. For a while, the Continental came in some radical variations, like White leather seats with forest green carpet, etc. Didn't buy one of those, but two tones of grey or brown, I like.
  • Hi there,
    We just purchased a 99 Navigator and while there is the minimal wood dash trim on the steering wheel and lower console, I am looking to add the area around the radio. I have seen several aftermarket parts claiming to "match" the factory OEM dash color, but I am a bit skeptical. Has anyone tried this or know of a reputable source to purchase this? Is the dealership my only option?

Also, I am in need of another remote and while I have seen some that claim to be factory matches on eBay, they are very generic with no Lincoln logo. Does anyone have a picture available of these for the 99 models? Thanks!

Mike
  • kourykoury Posts: 225
    Exotic Wood Dash (www.exoticwooddash) makes is one of the more reputable companies for 3rd party wood pieces. They make a piece that you are looking for. I installed a complete kit on my Lincoln LS two years ago - very easy to do, the parts fit perfectly, the color matches perfectly, and no problems after two years. There are other manufactures, but these guys seem to be the most recognized.

Good luck!
  • The oil change indicator in my new & old Mountaineer ran me about 5000 miles between, which works fine for me. But the new Nav may have different programming. My Nav doesn't have this option. You can probably reset it yourself to quit coming on for another 2500 or so miles. This may also just be your first oil change run. I don't know if your system runs off a sensor, or a clock. Guess I'm not much help on this one....
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    hope you all get a good laugh at this...

http://poseur.4x4.org/suvdeath.html

Odie

• karz10karz10 Posts: 106
    i would buy a used stretch nav limo and turn it into a hearse and save myself a few bucks, but then again, i don't need one :)

karz
  • I live on Long Island. I ordered a '03 NAV on June 12. I was told that it would take 6-8 weeks for the vehicle to arrive. It has been 11 weeks and it's still not here. Would anyone know if one (or more) of the options I ordered is causing the delay?

Last week the dealer said that the vehicle is awaiting transport from NJ. He went on to say that they are having trouble transporting the Expy's, Excursions and the Nav's.

I word in NYC and see a fleet of '03 Navs with US Open stickers on them. I guess Ford didn't have a problem getting these trucks for their sponsored event.

Here are the options:
    Nav Ultimate 4x4
    Silver w/black int.
    2nd Row Bench
    DVD Ent. sys.
    Power Moonroof
    MSRP $57,840 (~49K w/x-plan)
  • gettling,

I ordered a 4x2 ultimate with Nav & ent packages on 7/2 just picked it up on Saturday 9/1. It arrived at the dealership on 8/28. I am in Southern California, the transaction went exactly as promised when I ordered it. Did the dealer give you a copy of the order to the factory? My guess is that he did not place the order promptly or he sold it and knows he has a like model following shortly. Good luck.
  • I placed my deposit on a Navigator (every option) a little over a week ago. The order sheet I was given is dated June 4th. (Dealer claims there was a recall early on and they were waiting for a lot of cars to come in).

Is there a way to verify from the order#/dealer# where the car is in the build process? My last two cars were imports and I was able to call customer service and get complete status on the car (w/ a VIN# provided the moment the build process started). It appears you can't get a VIN from Lincoln until the car is at the dealer. When I called Lincoln they just forwarded my request to the dealer who said they won't know until the car is on the way.