Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• lani5lani5 Posts: 17
    Auburn96, that is how my Nav started the week after we drove it out of the dealer's parking lot. I hope yours was just a fluke and not the beginning of a frustrating experience. Yes, I will definitely keep you posted. If your Nav's liftgate continues to malfunction, you may want to consider reporting it to Lincoln Customer Service. I've been told that my problem has been forwarded to their engineering department for analysis and they would welcome any other documentation just in case there is a possibility of a recall.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    While I have not experienced this phenomenon (yet), I have noted that the rear door does have a reverse trip mechanism, like a modern garage door, that when it encounters an obstruction doing down or up, it will either stop if going up, or reverse if going down. Obviously a good thing to avoid damage or squishing in the case of going down. If your door was binding somehow, or if the trip was overly sensitive, it could easily cause this to occur. You'd think there would be an adjustment that could easily fix it, or if not, replacing this component should fix it. This is not rocket science really, and a good engineer should be able to take care of it.
    Yes, I definitely agree with you, nvbanker. This not being rocket science, a good engineer should be able to take care of this rear liftgate problem and, therefore, establish the much sought-after "error code" that the Service Manager was so adamant about seeing on his diagnostic computer. Perhaps the reverse trip mechanism is overly sensitive or somehow was "damaged" when the first motor was replaced.

What needs to happen next is for the Parts and Service Director to call back today with news that he has secured an appointment with the field service engineer. We'll see then if Lincoln actually follows through on its commitment to service.
    I'm dying to see how they deal with this issue. My buddy has a new Aviator that has a mystery electrical glitch that has them scratching their heads here. Once again, no error codes, but the antilock brake light comes on, and the turn signals become inoperable all at the same time, but randomly. They at least can demonstrate it easily, but can't figure out why the car does it.
    They are being very nice about it, but inept at fixing it.
  • gator2003gator2003 Posts: 2
    TO ALL NEW GATOR OWNERS

I HAVE HAD MY GATOR SINCE OCT 2002. LAST WEEK I STARTED THE TRUCK PRESSED THE BRAKE AND TRIED TO PRESS THE GEAR SHIFT KNOB TO PUT THE TRUCK IN DRIVE. ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THE GEAR SHIFT BUTTON WOULD NOT DEPRESS SO I COULD MOVE THE GEAR SHIFT TO DRIVE. I HAD TO POP UP THE HOUSING AROUND THE GEAR SHIFT KNOB IN ORDER TO MANUALLY PUSH DOWN THE LITTLE WHITE BUTTON IN ORDER TO GET THE BUTTON ON THE KNOB TO DEPRESS SO THE GEAR SHIFT COULD BE MOVED TO DRIVE. I FOUND THIS OUT BY LOOKING IN THE OWNERS MANUAL. THIS HAPPENS ONLY ONCE IN A WHILE. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER BUT THEY CAN'T GET IT TO HAPPEN. ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM YET?
    The only problems related to this I have had, have been user error.....like couldn't get the key out of the ignition one day, but realized I hadn't put the car in park yet later. Very embarrassing, particularly after what I said.....
    Inept is the correct word for describing the dealership I've had the misfortune to be dealing with, nvbanker. The Parts and Service Director didn't even have the decency to call back with word that he had set up the appointment with the Field Service Engineer to examine the malfunctioning rear liftgate. Where's the "Lincoln Commitment" here??? I'm beginning to suspect something fishy going on --- perhaps the original motor was never really replaced as I was told. I had to contact the Team Leader (a supervisor) at Lincoln Customer Service to push through with an appointment.

Even with that, The P&S Director delegated the task of calling me to his Service Manager who then contacted me from his home as he had the day off from work. They wanted me to leave my car overnight. What for? I could easily drive it to the service bay first thing in the morning when the FSE is there. Something fishy, I say.

It took another call to the Team Leader to finally get the P&S Director to contact me directly and confirm my appointment with the FSE next Tuesday, May 20th. This is worse than pulling teeth...

At this point, I'm thankful that the Team Leader followed through on Lincoln's customer service philosophy. We'll see what happens next Tuesday.
  • ford624ford624 Posts: 75
    It seems that many editors and consumers believe that the Navigator would be a better vehicle if it had a more powerful engine. Which engine do you believe will satisfy most all concerned? Could it be a supercharged dohc 5.4, or a dohc v-10, or how about a supercharged dohc v-10?
    Keep the heat on. I think about your situation each time I (successfully) open and close the rear door. I just can't believe this is such a problem. I would hate to be a service writer at that dealership......

ford624: I don't know what I would do with more power honestly. I have towed cars up some long and steep grades, and my engine doesn't even break a sweat, rarely kicks down the gear. I have never understood those reviews that call the Nav "underpowered" after 1998. It was weak in 98, but from 99 on, it was plenty peppy for my needs.

Now, the Tahoe with 5.7, or the Sequoia - THOSE are under powered! That's why everybody I know put flowmasters on them immediately to boost the output.

So, I have no need or interest in blowing or upsizing the Nav engine. Seems good to me..
    I want to accept what you say nvbanker .
    BUT.
    Why then does Edmunds Rating Editors have what is written below in its comments?
    Cons
    Engine falls short of some of its competitors',
    Plus.
    Squeaky wheels most always get attention.
    The only full sized SUV that can beat it is the Escalade, believe me, the others are slower. But I'm just saying, I've been delighted with the performance of the engine in both my Navigators, and I work them pretty hard at times. I also race the competition once in a while, just to see. None of the editors have ever liked the Navigator or Expedition much for whatever reason. But they don't buy cars, and I buy a lot of them. I have raced and beaten a Tahoe with a 5.7L with my 99 Navigator, which only put out 260Hhp at that time. I have raced and beaten a Sequoia with the same car. My new Nav puts out 300 hp, albeit at pretty high revolutions, but it's certainly more than adequate IMO.
  • e350v10e350v10 Posts: 92
    I believe the 4V motor was for 2000, not 1999. Try towing with it at altitude, and the need for a bigger motor becomes evident quite quickly:

2003 Lincoln Navigator
    Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)
    300 hp @ 5000 rpm
    355 ft-lbs. @ 2750 rpm

2003 Cadillac Escalade (6.0L 8cyl 4A)
    345 hp @ 5200 rpm
    Torque 380 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm

2003 Ford Excursion Limited (6.8L 10cyl 4A)
    310 hp @ 4250 rpm
    Torque 425 ft-lbs. @ 3250 rpm

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali
    320 hp @ 5000 rpm
    Torque 360 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm

2003 HUMMER H2
    Lux Series 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)
    316 hp @ 5200 rpm
    Torque 365 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm

2003 Mercedes-Benz G-Class
    G55 AMG 4WD SUV (5.5L 8cyl 5A)
    349 hp @ 5500 rpm
    Torque 387 ft-lbs. @ 3000 rpm

2003 Porsche Cayenne
    Turbo Tiptronic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl Turbo 6A)
    450 hp @ 6000 rpm
    Torque 457 ft-lbs. @ 2250 rpm

Give us a supercharger or V-10!
  • gregcrossgregcross Posts: 1
    I recently bought an '03 Navigator with the new DVD based navigation system, and I find it nearly impossible to see the screen when the sun is shining and the sun roof is open. If I put sunglasses on, I can't see it at all unless I get within inches of it (not a great option while driving...). Unfortunately, I didn't discover this problem until after delivery because of all the rain and cloudy weather we've been having in the southeast.
    I called Lincoln about the problem, and they said no one else had reported anything. I went back to the dealership and drove another '03 with a navigation system and it was identical to mine. The salesperson and the customer relations person at the dealership both agreed completely with me about the difficulty in seeing the screen. I am waiting for the next sunny day to show it to the service manager and hopefully get something in motion that will resolve the problem.
    I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with his/ her screen. Any input would be extremely appreciated.
    Lets do a little figuring.
    If a weight to horsepower ratio is good enough for a Aviator, it certainly should be good enough for a Navigator.
    A Lincoln Aviator weighs in at 4957 pounds and has 302-horse power with 300 pounds of torque.
    A Lincoln Navigator weighs in at 6041 pounds and has 300-horsre power with 355 pounds of torque.
    To end up with the same weight to horse power and torque ratio that an Aviator has, a Navigator’s horsepower will need to be increased to 368, and the torque would need to be increased to 366. (400 lbs of torque would be better)
    Can you imagine what we would kind of horsrpower we would have if we used the Porsche Cayenne weight to horse power ratio.
    Look, I'm just saying, I've never felt the car was underpowered, that's all. I have dragged heavy cars in tow up Baker grade in California, which summits at 5000 feet, with no strain at all. And, please notice, e350, that none of the cars you listed were on my list of cars I felt were underpowered (Old Tahoes and Sequoia). Like you would tow with a Porsche anyway..... For the record, the 300hp 4V intech 5.4 was put into the 1999 Navigator mid year, or actually, in about December 1999. I know, because I got one of the very last 2V equipped models 260hp, and it did fine as well. Admittedly, I don't pull a house with it, just trailers with cars on them, but it's satisfied me. I'd be interested in a Power Stroke option though......but not a V-10. Unnecessary for me. I would certainly defend your rights to drive one though, if they were available.
    Perhaps the Ultimate could feature a bigger engine, as many of these models have different engine options.

The Toyotas (Landcruiser and Sequoia) only have tow ratings of 6500 lbs.

With the new F-150 getting 300 hp (and thus the 2004 Excursion), I'm sure more power is in the works for the Navigator.

Incidentally, I'm in Denver, so towing STARTS at 5280 feet!
    may influence the engine options, IF, these trucks are subject to them, and I'm not sure which side of the line they fall on.......
    6000 lbs - the 'Gator is not included
    How much Horse Power and torque, do you believe, would be produced with the following?
    1) Supercharged 4v 5.4
    2) 4v v10
    3) Supercharged 4v v10
    “Thanks”
  • importfan14importfan14 Posts: 18
    Is the NAV really DVD-based? Last I read, it was CD-based. I'm about to buy a Navigator myself, and I'm deciding on the NAV.
    I understand the new ones are DVD based. Previously, there were CD ROM, and not very good by today's standards..... Try one first. They're pretty slick, unless the sunroof is open and the sun is shining on the screen....
    I'm not expert, so I'm just guessing, that the supercharged 5.4L 4V should get you 400bhp.
    1) Supercharged 4v 5.4
    A. Horsepower: 380 hp Torque: 450 ft-lbs.
    (This is the engine the F150 Lightening has)
    2) 4v v10
    A. Horsepower: 500 hp Torque: 525 ft-lbs.
    (These are the specs on the V-10 Viper)
    3) Supercharged 4v v10
    A. Horsepower: 633 hp Torque: 661.5 ft-lbs.
    (These are the specs on the V-10 Viper X 126%)
    This would be good!
    Just wanted to give an update on my power liftgate problem. Turns out the field service engineer, after an hour of testing, determined that there were indeed two problems that were causing my power liftgate to malfunction: a defective right motor and a "module" which handles the liftgate controls that needed to be replaced. The left motor had been doing all the work while giving a false diagnostic reading on their computer. What a relief to have indisputable documentation!

Incidentally, no one at the dealership even called to give me an update on the car. What is wrong with these people? The only one who had the wherewithal to give me a call was the supervisor, at Lincoln Customer Service.

So... right motor has been replaced. Awaiting shipment of the module. Meanwhile, driving a rental Ford Taurus (at the dealer's expense!) is not as comfortable... Can't wait to get my Navigator back in good working order!
    Awe-inspiring --- this 385 HP Navigator K!
    A TAURUS loaner????? Unacceptable to me. I don't pay $800/month to drive a Taurus. I demand at least a Lincoln loaner....and stomp my feet until I get one. And, sadly, I'm not really surprised the dealer people didn't call you, though they should. They figure this one is in Lincoln's hands now, and they'll tell you.

I would [non-permissible content removed] bitterly about the Taurus rental...if I were you. Tell them you want an LS at the minimum.
    Good guessing, it looks like.
    I agree, nvbanker, that the Taurus loaner was unacceptable. Would have preferred at least an LS or a Town Car --- just any Lincoln. The dealership did not have any Lincoln loaners on its lot so I had to accept what the rental agency had at the time --- this being its busiest due to Memorial Day weekend. I've been out of sorts for 3 1/2 days until this afternoon when I got my car back!

Turns out that both liftgate motors needed to be replaced along with the shocks and liftgate module. Even though the service manager was so conciliatory, I would have liked to have called him some rather nasty names for not acknowledging the problem in the first place. Leave it to the field service engineer to get it solved and the Lincoln customer service supervisor to whip the dealership in shape. Now after two frustrating months, I can, like you, open and close my car's liftgate without any problems. The sound is smoother, softer, and more fluid. Time to really enjoy this vehicle!

What a lesson in patience and persistence! Here's to smooth sailing for all of us!