Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    It was my understanding that 2001's are just coming out now or in the next couple of weeks. Not too many changes but just thought you should know if your dealer told you it was a 2001.

BTW - what color did you get?

Thanks - Frank
    I assume Navigator is Green!
  • Anyone see one of these off-road, say, a dry riverbed or something like it? Anyone use the 4x4 package? I'm interested in any stories regarding Navigator off-road use. I'd love to test drive one of them w/ the 4x4 pkg, but there's nothing where I live to really test it.

Is the Nav just an expensive novelty on a 4x4 tranny for suburban use, or can I actually take luxury beyond pavement? It would be embarrassing to drop an axle out in the Rockies, only to have someone with an F-150 drag it home.
  • Yah mine is a 2001. When I bought it he told me that I ordered it within like the first week they were avaible, but this was like a month and a half ago. And of course it is Green hehe!
  • Hi GreenNavigator! Quick question: would you mind sharing your location and cost info? I'm ready to purchase but still looking for the best deal. Does anyone know of a dealership anywhere that sells for an advertised amount over invoice? Found a Chevy dealer that does and a loaded Suburban looks possible, but our hearts are with the Navigator. Anyone?
  • ric1035ric1035 Posts: 32
    See my post#22. I live in socal. Rancho Ford in Temecula. Every week they have a better or similar price on ad. Press Enterprise paper.
  • csnowcsnow Posts: 5
    Check out Motor Trend's September issue with the article on "Death Valley SUV Torture Test". The Nav was 1 of 7 SUV's taken out for 4 days of trail-bashing, suspension-pounding, tire ravaging off roading during a record heat wave. The Nav's report card got 7 A's, 4 B's and 1 C+ for value.
    It actually did real well in the final write-up.
    Lotsa of pluses. Some downsides; "big as a bus, loads of body roll, tires not up to off-road abuse. Couldn't figure out what model year they tested.
    Curious if the factory GPS Nav system shows altitude as on of the data features.

Any other comments on the Lincoln GPS Navigation system would be helpful.

TIA - Frank
  • SCODESCODE Posts: 1
    My wife and I go to Laughlin NV, and tow our waverunners there to launch on the river. Last time we were there we launched at an unmarked site with sand, rocks, gravel, and a rutted dirt wash that lead to the beach...

It was a piece of cake, no fuss no nothin'.

But... several 4x2 trucks and suv's got stuck launching. I unhitched my trailer, pulled up nose to nose, attached my tow rope, and let the 300hp pull them out, trailer and all. I rescued three in all that weekend.

It was 117 degrees, and the bad boy never even got warm!

I have a late model 99 with alpine, changer, heated seats, skid plates. Black/Tan of course!

We love the truck, only wish we had the new seats!
  • Does anyone know why you can't order the sunroom and the GPS Navigation System together? I want both options but the dealer told me that they did not come together from the factory
  • I meant sunroof in my last post...thanks
    Rodney,

I think that it has something to do with the fact
    that when GPS is installed in the center lower
    basement area the AUX climate control knobs are relocated to the roof for control of climate for the bedroom area.

This probably takes up the room used for the controls/motor for the sunroom option.

Don't know exactly if this is where the motor is definitely located but on many roofs this is indeed the location.

There are aftermarket installs for both sunroof and GPS. So technically you could get both just not from the factory unfortunately : )
  • gsnavgsnav Posts: 7
    This is in response to the person talking about Toyota, Land Rover..etc. being superior.

Prior to purchasing my 1998 Navigator, I only purchased Toyotas. I can tell you I had my share of problems with my prior Toyota 4-Runner. The transmission would overheat pulling two Jet Skis - less then 2000 pounds. The engine went out at 90k miles (anti-freeze in the oil) - fortunately, Toyota replaced the engine free of charge (under warranty), however; the truck was never the same. It still would not tow the Jet Skies without overheating.

We use the Navigator for pulling our boat weighing 8,500 lbs. Mainly twice a year in and out of the water in spring and fall. We took a trip on the boat and had to pull the boat & trailer back 6hrs in a rain storm in summer (85+ degrees) with the Navigator. The truck pulled the boat flawlessly and the temperature gauge never moved - stayed were it normally reads.

Bottom line - there isn't a foreign truck made that could pull a 8,500 pound boat and do it in style!

Great Truck!!
  • robindrobind Posts: 1
    I have a 4Runner right now, have had no issues. I am looking to buy a 2001 Nav very soon, wanted to know about any maintenance issues anybody might have had?
  • Does anyone know if you can remove the console from between the second row of seats in a 2000 or 2001 navigator? I don't think my children will move the seat forward to get to rear seat, and I know they will climb on console to get back there.
    I was thinking about removing it, but I am concerned about the appearance of the seats if the center console isn't present.Any ideas?Please help!!!
  • I just drove my new 2000 Black Navy home and I luv it. The sense of power you get from driving it is incredible. I purchased the vehicle from Pride Lincoln Mercury in Lynn, MA (outside Boston). I paid 45500 ($500 over invoice) and have every option except the Nav System and Reverse Sensing. They don't have any 2001s in stock yet and I'm thinking they gave me a good deal because they are trying to make room for the 2001s. From what I understand the 2000s and 2001s aren't dramatically different, so I would highly suggest that anyone who is the market for one to go for a 2000 now. Also, make sure you get the buckets seats in the 2nd row. The bench seats don't look as classy. Got to go! It's time for a joy ride!!
  • You should be hung from the nearest Amoco sign!
  • If you are wondering what else a Navigator is good for please stay with me.
    I own a hardware store in SW Wyoming at 7000 feet we have a tendency to get a tad bit of snow. Last winter my delivery Semi-truck got stuck in the snow and (while my wife was looking the other way) I hooked up a chain and pulled it out.
    I bought the Navigator kicking and screaming that we didn't need this type of car for our business, but now I love it and find it was one of the best investments I have ever made.
  • Just bought a new EB Expedition. Dealer agreed to trede out the Stock firestones for Michelin LTX. Problem is can't find any and Michelin doesn't think they will catch up for a year.
    Dealer has 5 of the Continental tires that come on the Navi. I want anyone to tell me about the quietness, treadwear, etc. I have to decide by tomorrow. All $.o2 will be appreciated.
    Sounds like you may have answered your own question. There is a major shortage of tires in the size you require due to the Firstone/Ford Recall. You may not have many options...if the dealer has the Continental's in stock I would go with them..they are good road tires but not great for offroading. Made for smooth quiet ride...

Call a large tire dealer such as Tire Rack and ask what they think of the Continentals and also ask if they have any tires in stock that would fit.

There have been a few Navigator owners with complaints of high speed vibration 70/80 MPH...can't remember if all the issues were balance vs. tire related..I do think most were balance related. Also, FYI, once a tire is driven out of balance for any extended period the tire/s get worn low spots that may be felt even after a perfect balance.

There are many comments on the ride quality of the Nav so I don't think you would have much of an issue with the Conti's. Make sure they are new tires and not ones removed from another vehicle...some tires flat spot after vehicle sits for a long while on dealer lot...occassionally a test drive reveals this and tires are replaced..dealer may keep old tires thinking they can pass them on to some other sucker.

In any event, if you take the Conti's test drive the Exp. at all road speeds to see if balance is good and tires are true (no shimmy/vibration). I'd rather drive on the Conti's than on the Firestones for a year anyway...there have been more registered complaints regarding Firestone tires in general over Continentals.

Good luck!
  • After I posted above, I discovered the Continentals were more narrow and slightly taller than the stock firestones. Don't want to have to worry about recalibrating speedo already. I will put my name on the michelin list and wait it out. Local tire dealers are hopeful michelin will catch up around december. I'll keep my fingers crossed until then.
  • I would like to hear a couple opinions on the price quote I received on a 2000 Nav with aux. climate control, Chrome wheels, skid plate, CD changer, alpine stereo & climate controlled front seats...color is blue. Dealer quoted me "invoice" of $43,940 which appears to be close when looking at Edmunds pricing. Does anyone think that this price is not good?
  • You didn't say where you live but in the Miami/Ft. Laud. area, I'm being quoted $42,000 for a loaded 2001. You figure out the math.
  • I am in New Jersey and the model is a 2000 4 x 4. Any input is appreciated!
  • I had posted earlier on the Continental tires and quality. I guess my question has been answered. Todays new announced Ford/Lincoln and Continental will announce a recall on some of their tires. I believe mostly 16" tires were included. Who is next?
  • The purpose of this post is twofold. First, to document some problems/solutions I have had with my navigator. Second, to ask for help in why my drivers side seat is always so damn hot! The dealer said it is a design defect because the passenger side area below seat is done correctly but not driver. Not buying it. Can anyone help?

First problem I had was that when the radio was on and I open the back "flap" windows, the radio shorted out and wouldn't play. This was fixed by removing the cap over the compass and light switch and solidifying connection for one connector. Presto, no more short out. Second problem was that the remote entry unlock would cause the door lock to freeze on preventing entry. Using key was required at that point. It seems that this is actually the inside lock switch getting stuck. It will be replaced soon.

Mostly, trying to find out if anyone has any experience with trying to fix climate controlled driver side seat. Not only does it work poorly, it gets really warm while on A/C. Not much confidence in my dealer since the service guy was surprised A/C seats were even available.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
  • Leased a 2000 model in January, had to replace engine in February,due to oil leaking from improperly machined block. Then it took three trips to stop leaks in trans and transfer case after they replaced the engine. Windshield cracked (stone?). Next had re-occuring flats until dealer found pinhole in LF rim. Battery died for no apparent reason. Sorry I can't offer any help other than things could be worse! Other than that it is nice ride.
  • Thinking of buying the 2001 Navigator but I have a question about gas..the 2000 brochures suggests reg.gas..anybody know what the 2001 brocure says?
    And..does reg. REALLY do it in the 2000?
  • I live in Atlanta where we don't get much snow, but every year we do get some bad weather. I will not be doing much off road work - say 10% offroad use with occasional hauling. I would be willing to pay a premium for safety.

I test drove both versions and found the 2wd a tad faster on acceleration than the 4wd and also a bit quieter than the 4wd. I figure that the extra weight of a 4wd system may be the reason. Dealer was not knowledgeable. They have identical engines but differ in the rear suspension.

(1) Is fuel consumption noticably different in the Auto 4wd drive mode compared to a 2wd Nav?

(2) Are there any 4wd maintenance issues?

(3) Are residuals better with 4wd?

(4) Is a 4wd really worth it in my case?

Thanks
  • I just bought a 2000 Navigator and I live in Maine. All my previous vehicles have had mud flaps. The Nav doesn't even offer them as an option. Does anyone have experience with a Nav that suggests I do or don't need to install mud flaps on the Nav?

Thanks