Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    Our news links "go stale" after a week or two, and that's why you came up empty. I *think* this is the same story (the press release was made around 8/21). Try a google.com search if you need more.

2003 Lincoln Aviator Will Debut in 2002

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I've have not read much discussion here on the Navigator. The Edmunds review team puts it in the middle of the pack below Mercades and Lexus (I'm ok with that). I'm looking at a 1999 Navigator (White 50K miles) Its sharp. Leather is a little worn, but overall looks and rides good. There appears to be a slight slip when accelerating to the left or right.

Just wondering if anyone out there has positives or negatives they'd like to share about the Navigator.

Thanks. Happy New Year!

Flex
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    You could also wait for the redesigned Navigator. It's probably going to get released at the same time as the next generation Expedition, or a couple of months afterwards.
  • Here are some photos from Ford:

2003 Lincoln Navigator

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks. The info and links re: 2003 Nav are greatly appreciated.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    job 1 is expected on 3/18/01 for the 2003 navigator with a ship to dealer date on 5/6/02.

The hold is fofr quality checks. They want to get this launch 100% perfect.

Rich
  • smwls8smwls8 Posts: 103
    With a re-designed 2003 coming soon, some of you guys with leased models surely are interested in the new model? Or is the lack of activity here tantamount to a desire to move to a different brand? My wife will deliver daughter #3 on May 1, so the LS is history. Will it be a Navigator, I don't know, 2002 or 2003? But I sure don't seem to find much 1st hand ownership experience here about the Navigator like I did at the Lincoln LS board. And that board had tremendous influence in my decision to go with the LS, an awesome sedan for a family of 4, but not 5.

Thanks
    Sam
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    scott,

Things usually slow down considerably over the weekend!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • bolkerbolker Posts: 30
    Hmmmm. I'm trying to decide between a 2003 Navigator and 2002/3 Escalade. I really like the way the Escalade looks, however what I find most interesting/important to me is the power and handling. I was a little underwhelmed with the Caddi interior, and was hoping the Navigator might have upped the ante in it's 2003 "total redesign".

Looking at the interior in the picture here, I think it's very very understated. More so than the Escalade. I'm not particularly happy with it. The fact that the Navigator will stick with it's 300hp engine also underwhelms me. The nice new independent rear suspension should make it handle much better, but it certainly isn't enough in my opinion.

Am I missing something here? I'm not impressed with this new design.

Ron
  • bolkerbolker Posts: 30
    Hehe, guess no response means everyone agrees. ;)

Ron
  • Hi, I have read through most of these posts and have a question. I own a 1998 Ford Expedition. I have had TONS of problems with it - all covered by warranty - but still out of service for almost 40 days in a little over 3.5 years. From all the reports/reviews I have read, mine is not a typical vehicle since Navigator/Expedition are rated pretty good. Tried lemon law, didn't work since most of the problems are nuisance (CD player issue, window motor, AC motor, sunroof, etc) and don't "significantly impair the use of, safety of the vehicle or significantly reduce resale." Anyway, after 2 years of dealing with Ford and finally going to a Lincoln deal for service - a LOT better by the way - it looks like Ford will pony up $5K for a new Navigator. Dealer has a left over 2001, new with about 500miles on it. My vehicle is worth about $15k according to Edmunds, NADA, KBB and dealer will give me $15K for it. So, to net this out, MSRP is $51K, dealer invoice is $46K. They will sell the Navigator for that minus another $2K to get me as a customer. Subtract $3K from Ford for being a 2001 and then the $5K they will 'give' me for the Expedition troubles and the 'deal' works out to about 21K + taxes on that amount (about $1300) plus my 98 Expedition. With that I get 4-yr/50K warranty plus 3yr/36K maintenance. While I really hate looking at spending any more $$$ on a new vehicle, it seems like a pretty decent deal to me, $36K for a new Navigator that MSRP's @ 51K, especially with .9% financing for 4 years. Comments ?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    Better sit in the driver seat for a few minutes - my experience has been that the seats in the Navigator are much less supportive than the Expy (which aren't that supportive to begin with). The Navigator seats are like leather covered plywood - very flat, and with few features to keep you planted behind the wheel.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    Just saw the 2003 nav at the Ft. Lauderdale Auto show. They had the dang thing up on a platform so I couldn't get in it but it was close enough to get a good look inside. They had the black leather interior which looked good but not very practical for hot-as-heck South Fla. The leather seats were close enough to touch and they felt a bit softer and less "vinyl-like" than the current model (I have a 2000 Nav). The new navigation system screen on the dash looks really nice. The "satin nickel finish" on the dash looks nicer in person than in the pictures I've seen. A rep did a few demos of the latest additions and the best feature seemed to be the power fold down third row seat that dissapears into the floor. The rep also stated that there's much more head room in the last row compared to now. The exterior looks real nice.. the changes are subtle but it makes the exterior of the truck look more sleek. For good pics of the truck check out wieck.com go to "public" and do a search for "navigator". The rep says the 2003 will ride more smoothly and have better road feel than the current model. I hope this is true because that's been a gripe of mine with the current model. I am probably being unreasonable but I want a smoother quieter ride in this big bulky truck -- don't know if this is possible though. The closest thing to this "quiet-smooth" dream of mine has been the lexus LX 470 but it feels way too cramped for me and not worth $20,000 more. Also, I've alwyas been a bit underwhelmed by the interior of the old nav -- I dont like how the navigator (and the escalade for that matter) have practically the same dash as their cheaper cousins. The new nav interior solves that issue for me. I'm looking forward to test-driving this truck to see if it really is smoother than the old one. If it isn't, I just might go for a 2003 loaded expy and save some cash.

For those of you looking to buy a used nav or a new 2002 model I've only had a few minor problems with mine that were easily fixed. The truck is really roomy and gives you good acceleration when you need it. I just suggest that you drive the truck on a highway for a few minutes to see if you like how it rides at highway speeds. Lease specials have been popping up lately.. they're advertising 2002 nav's here in South Fla. for $499/mo with $2,300 down (3 year/36,000 miles -- maintenance included).
    Preview: 2003 Lincoln Navigator

Steve
    Host

• tgravo2tgravo2 Posts: 70
    We own an 01 Navigator, and just visited a local auto show. We were going to trade it in for an 03 Escalade, but after seeing the new Navigator design, we are sold on it. I love the fact that everything is power, the rear lift gate, running boards, rear seats are power fold down, and they fold flat, unlike the 01/02 3rd seat that you have to remove. I also love the design of the new interior. I am not crazy about the beige color, but the one at the show was a greyish and looked very good matched up to the nickel plated dash. I think Lincoln has done an impressive job and we will be buying one when they come out.
  • stacystacy Posts: 91
    Read about/saw new '03 Nav. See SUV.COM for a great article. Sounds awesome. Seriously considering Denali XL because of trunk space. But just does not have all the little extras that come standard on the new Nav. I did not like brakes, ride of old Nav. Will have three kids soon - and three car seats (although my son is using a booster on his own) I still have all the "kidstuff" including stroller, sometimes baseball equipment(my husband coaches my 5 year old)and misc stuff. I am worried about the lack of trunk space on this car and the ease of access to the third row (I would get capt chair in Denali)- plus lack of rear headrests there. Anyone notice headrests on the '03? Also if you now own a Nav and have three kids please give an honest opinion if you miss/would have preferred the extra room of a bigger trunk. The size difference does not concern me because I can get used to driving anything. No vans for me. LX470 is too small. Sequoia Ltd is too ordinary. I want a big AWD vehicle. Seems GM vehicles are just not as "advanced" in the bells and whistles, creature comfort things I am looking for. I'm just worried about the trunka nd 3rd seat. Yes I am a mom and will not go off road often, only skiing in the winter. Also does this car take premium fuel? Thank you very much in advance for any info.
  • jlangmdjlangmd Posts: 6
    I've had a 99 Navigator, originally with 3 children, now with four. Purchased initially with 2nd row captain's seats. With 3 or more children, you must use the third row, and the cargo space is severely restricted. Also removing children from the 3rd row when they are sleeping after a long trip is not possible. I did not consider a new Navigator due to these factors. The Denali XL has the added trunk space that I needed however, It looks and drives like a boat, and I wouldn't be able to park it in my garage.

Yes, takes premium fuel.

After checking out numerous vehicles I decided on a Mercedes ML 500 with the optional 3rd row seats. It will seat seven. The one advantage this has is that you can put in one or both rear seats, and with one, there is more useable cargo space than the Nav. I haven't seen this feature on other SUV's but I really like it. Remains to be seen whether this is a good decision or not.
  • stacystacy Posts: 91
    Thanks so much for the info jlang. Looked at Edmunds for Mercedes info. ML is is only 182"long. It would be too short for me. Have 180" RX300 now and its perfect for 2 kids but a 3rd row in the back and I would have no trunk. How are you going to fit 4 kids, get out sleeping little ones in the ML? Even LX470 is 196" and no trunk, even with 1/2 seat tumbled in 3rd row the area is small and my 5 yr old just fits now. I read in the new Nav you can fold down automatically 1/2 of the 3rd row. Can you do that with the current Nav? How long have you had your ML?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    The fold flat seats in the '03 Navigator and Expedition are new, older versions have a flip and fold configuration that takes up cargo space. The Navigator really is going to be too short if what you crave is cargo space. It sounds like all the bells and whistles of the Lincoln have you mesmerized. All the gadgets in the world won't make the 4 cubic feet of room behind the third seat hold 10 cubic feet of stuff. You should consider the Excursion before the Lincoln as it is really the only other mass produced monster.
  • Got a great deal on a 1998 Nav 4x4 with 24 k miles in Jan 2001..Now I have 55 k miles and need to replace the P255 R17 Continental tires(normal wear). Since I am bored with factory wheels and usually keep a car for 200K miles(I am getting 17 mpg at 70 mph with 87 octane!) should I think about a radical change in wheels and tires to lower the CG & improve stability?? I have not had any problems..but it looks high and I am mindful of the Explorer problems?? Any thoughts?
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Posts: 70
    You said you did not like the ride of the present Navigator? Did you know the 03 will have a completely redisigned suspension system that is supposed to be much better. Also I know in the new Expeditions, there is either a bar or button or something that you press and the 2nd row seat that your child is in slides up right behind the center console in the front row, so you can hand your child something or tend to him/her if you need. If you get the bench seat for the 2nd row instead of 2 captains chairs, you should have no problem putting 3 kids and have plenty cargo space. I saw a new Navigator up close, and trust me they are light years better than the present one.
    First Drive: 2003 Lincoln Navigator - The Remake of (A) Rapper's Delight

Steve
    Host

• ric1035ric1035 Posts: 32
    I have a 2000 Nav 2WD and the driver rear leans 7/8" lower than the passenger side. I first noticed this when it was a couple weeks old but it was less than 1/2" then and were within Ford Specifications.
    Recently, I had it looked at a 2 different dealers and both of them said that according to the Ford Engineers that there is not a fix to this problem.
    I was able to get it escalated to Executive complaints here in Dearborn,MI and so far my choices are limited. I was told I could go to arbitration or wait until they get a fix to this problem. Does anyone had this leaning problem and got it fixed?
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    is the engine on or off when the leaning happens?
  • ric1035ric1035 Posts: 32
    Both on and off ,at least 5/8" and 7/8" at its worst.
    Ford Executive Complaints offered arbitration.It may not be worthwhile because my lease is over on 6/03.

"trapperkeeper" How did you get the 5k discount towards a new vehicle?
    Do you think I will win arbitration. They do not consider this a safety issue even though I complained about the vehicle would not drive straight. They cannot duplicate this problem.

Thanks for replying
  • blackrhino1blackrhino1 Posts: 19
    I picked it up today and a great price since the 2003's are coming in soon. I had the dvd system and remote start added. Very nice vehicle with plenty of room for the family to stretch out. Have to get used to driving it, but it is well worth it.
    I had the tires turned in with the white lettering facing in. All you see now is black and chrome. The third seat has been taken out and the stain resistant carpet installed from Lincoln. Gives the back area a finished look and provides the storage space for shopping. Only option the 2002 does not have that the 2003 will offer is the motorized side mirrors. The SUV is fun to drive and turns a lot of heads. Excellent captains chairs in the second row and the kids love it.
    Took the third seat out and installed the stain resistant fitted carpet. Plenty of space for luggage. Has anyone installed rims or bigger tires?