Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Scion Xb

Comments

• mrharper68mrharper68 Posts: 14
    I think I paid $16.200 for my 5 speed 08 XB
    When you consider a Corolla is only a little cheaper and has horrible crash test ratings and whole lot less of everything. the XB is a bargain. Try getting a Honda Fit for the same price. Equip a Yaris like the XB is and see how much you pay.
    This has nothing to do with being California.
    The Supercharger is not an option on any Scion.
    The Supercharger is an after market part that can be purchased from the dealer or from TRD. The part cannot be financed with the car when you buy it.
    The price is about $3500-$3800 plus negotiated installation price.
    The Supercharger should be easily adapted to the 08 XB but TRD must go through the smog approval process to get the CARB exemption/approval
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    i can get a base honda fit for 15400. And a sport for 400 bucks more than what you just quoted.
    wow really? guess we can expect the same fuel economy too.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    I wasn't the only one thinking along those lines:

"Did Toyota miss the mark with the new 2008 Scion xB?"

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/05/did_toyota_miss_the_mark_with.html

Plumper and longer with no additional interior room, fuel economy DRAGGIN', a ride that has gone from fun to Camry-like, it think it done been AmURR-icanized! :-P

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• texasestexases Posts: 5,695
    I know the new one isn't as fun to drive (I had a 1st gen. GTI for 12 years, I know what light weight and small size can do for a car), but the old Xb was not an option with it's 1990s safety level and low power (what the use of seating for 4 adults if you can't deal with traffic?). No more room was needed (I know of no other car of any size that has the new Xb's headroom all around), but safety improvements and ride improvements were. And yes, that has put it in a different market segment.
  • bigfieromanbigfieroman Posts: 12
    That article doesn't say anything, it just parrots the TTAC review, quoting it several times. The writer does not really say, but it seems he just read the TTAC review and perhaps saw a 2008 on the road somewhere, it does not seem that he actually drove it.

He is also repeating the same BS numbers that the "Expert" the TTAC review said. It does NOT get 25% less fuel economy, no matter how you run the numbers. Combined cycle using the 2008 numbers (2006 xB manual converted to 2008 numbers) is 12% lower for the new car. Combined cycle using the 2006 numbers (2008 converted to old EPA standard) it gets 12.5% lower economy.

The TTAC reviewer is the ONLY one I have seen who tore up the xB, every other press review has been, AT WORST, mixed. If the TTAC reviewer really believes that the first generation was almost without fault, he truly is biased. I liked the first gen, but it had many faults.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    The old: 30/34.

The new (in 2006 numbers): 24/30.

That means the '08 uses 18.5% MORE gas than the old. (using 32 and 27 as combined numbers, respectively). No, it's not an overwhelming difference, but it might be important to some buyers in an atmosphere of very high gas prices.

Especially since it is only a 4-cylinder engine, not ESPECIALLY fast even with the bump in size, and now has similar FE to models with a V-6.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Your 2006 numbers for the 2008 xB are wrong.

Use this calculator on the EPA site:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculator.html

Type in 25/31. You will get 22/28 for 2008 numbers, exactly what the 2008 xB received.

The numbers for the 2006 you quoted are for the automatic model; I was using the manual model which is 30/33 because that is what I shopped. The auto-to-auto combined mileage difference is 0.5 mpg greater, but the old auto was WAY slower than the new auto, a more dramatic difference accelleration than the manual-to-manual comparison (because the old manual was geared into the stratosphere, ~4500 RPM @ 80 mph IIRC).

I should let you guys know that I bought a 2008 Black Sand Pearl xB (manual) less than a week ago. I shopped the 2006 and 2008 very heavily, and universally liked the 2008 better except for the mileage. I borrowed the dealership's (used) 2006 manual for a day, and carefully measured the mileage during my 30 mile, 80% city commute, and got 31.8 mpg. I did the same drive in very similar conditions with my 2008 yesterday, and got 28.7 mpg. That is a 3.1 mpg/11% difference. Take it with a grain of salt of course, I was driving for mileage in both cars, but the difference would probably have been much greater if I had been leadfooting the cars, as the 2.4 is capable of accelerating much faster and using more fuel. Driving like I stole it would probably yield 25 in the 2006 and 18 in the 2008, if I had to guess.

Honestly, I would much rather have 32 mpg than 29, but the small tradeoff was certainly worth it to me considering the power increase, better ride, nicer interior, more features, etc etc etc that the 2008 offers.
  • rovertonroverton Posts: 20
    2008-White
    Just picked it on on Friday and too a 324 mile trip for a mpg of 30.1.
    This baby rides smooooth and without wind noise. Another reason for liking this is when hitting bumps on the road it is smooth compared to other vechiles driven.
    The only complaints are:
    - No arm rest for the passenger
    - For the driver, the left arm has no where to rest logically as the bottom of the window is to high and the area where the button are is too low. Otherwise this is a great buy.
    -The backseat room is great.
    ? rhovertonyahoo.com
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    How many rpms is a stick shift xB turning at 60 mph in top gear?

Thanks
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,695
    Here a review that seems to hit the good/bad points reasonably: New Xb Review
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    ... The Supercharger is not an option on any Scion.
    The Supercharger is an after market part that can be purchased from the dealer or from TRD. The part cannot be financed with the car when you buy it.
    The price is about $3500-$3800 plus negotiated installation price.
    The Supercharger should be easily adapted to the 08 XB...

I attended a TRD presentation to dealers at a Scion Backstage event. The TRD supercharger kit with its intake system, fuel injectors and mods to the ECU is a dealer-installed option on the 2008 xB. The kit has a list price of $3,200 plus 6 hours of flat-rate dealer labor. In the purchase, anything is negotiable, I suppose. I don't know why it should not be financed.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    In this month's MT, FYI.

~alpha
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    A reporter would like to get consumer feedback on the redesigned Scion xB. You do not have to be an owner to respond. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than June 1, 2007 with your daytime contact information

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

as the 2.4 is capable of accelerating much faster

not really, at least not with all that weight. Read the new inside line review. Barely half a second. Its amazing what torque makes people think!

I love edmunds editors. They will bash the civics dash but praise the totally out of line of sight xb's gauges. :blush:

A local dealer has a auto dark blue xb with nave and 16 inch alloys, and its going for 20k. Its been on the lot for 2 weeks so far. Mabye having an optioned out xb with bad fuel economy is not acceptable? At least with the old one, you could claim at least 30mpg possible.
    What do you mean it's barely half a second faster?

I think its important to compare apples to apples here. There was no way the previous 103 horse xB automatic could hit 60 in under 10 seconds, let alone 9.

If you're referring to the comment in the 'Second Opinion' here on edmudns, I believe that editor needs to check his facts, for the reason mentioned above.

~alpha
    was it in the second opinion portion? I though it was in the main article. Regardless, half a second isn't this huge amazing amount of time. But torque is good at fooling people and in the right instance can be quicker.
    The review was pretty good overall, but they made a few mistakes:

The 2008 xB has electric power steering, not hydraulic.

The reviewer completely failed to mention the majority of the mileage drop was due to new testing standards.

The previous gen had a very generous back seat; unless the reviewer was referring to width with three across.
    Perhaps I didn't do a good job explaining my comment, my apologies. I believe in the Second Opinion portion, the editor stated that the xB is only a half second quicker to 60 than its former self. However, the last xB tested by edmunds.com was a manual transmission version, and there in lies the mistake. (Additionally, it had the cold air intake kit, adding an estimated 10 ponies)

new xB: 8.6 seconds to 60 with automatic
    old xB: 9.0 seconds to 60 with manual transmission and cold air intake package

~alpha
    Well in California the Fit is marked up an average of $2000.00
    You are correct sticker price on a Fit is about $1000 less. But most dealers are greedy.
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "... There was no way the previous 103 horse xB automatic could hit 60 in under 10 seconds..."

But the 5-speed can....
    The January 2006 issue of Car & Driver did a "comparo" called "Rebellious Boxes":
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=10524
    The Scion xB article is at:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10528/2006-scion-xb.html
    In that article it says "it was last in acceleration to 60 mph, 0.1 second behind the Element..."
    The Element article is at:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10525/2006-honda-element-ex-p.html
    And it says "The Element nips the Scion by 0.1 second in the sprint to 60 mph, arriving in 9.5 seconds."
    So the Scion xB was tested at 0-60 in 9.6 seconds.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    The Corolla has horrible crash test ratings? On what do you base that statement? Check out the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's crash tests and you will see that it is the xB which has horrible crash test ratings and not the Corolla. (The 2008 xB has yet to be tested).
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    The new Xb should be around 8.0, with a 5-speed, much faster than 9.5 of the last one.

DrFill
    I fail to see your point. Show me a test of a last generation xB auto that hit 60 in under 10 seconds.

~alpha
  • The automatic previous gen was ~11.2 to 60? AKA, OVER 2 SECONDS FASTER TO 60.

The manual should be about 1.6 seconds faster to 60, that is very significant.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Getting a 5-speed under eight seconds is possible, but not much below that. 7.7-7.8 at best.

DrFill
    ah ok gotcha.
    that may be in california...but i still doubt its that much.

There is no more markup on fits in nc. Every dealer has 2 or 3 sitting on the lots. You still get the occasional 'this car has been detailed with 1st place finish so that ads 799 to msrp' kind of crap, but its easy to let the dealer now you are not there to bullcrap.
  • rovertonroverton Posts: 20
    I have about 1k on my xb. Mixed driving is consistantly above 25mpg. On the road at 75 plus, I am now getting 32.3.
    Now for all of you who are making comments without owning one this is one of the nicest cars I have owned. Smooth riding, quiet. great pickup and passing power. What more could you want for 18k?