Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Starting and Idling Problems

2»

Comments

• I have a 1998 Expedition it was running great I turned off ignition for about 5 mins while waiting for my daughter...tried starting it and it cranks but wont start!! I noticed the theft light blinking...it's neverf done that! What can it be??
  • I have a 1999 Expedition that in November would not start after I drove to Home Depot and let it sit for just a few minutes. It had been running fine before that. Engine would crank but it would not turn over. Had it towed to mechanic who replaced battery and battery conections, did a throttle body cleaning and cleaned the fuel injectors. I don't drive this vehicle much, usually just to Home Depot so I only had driven it 5 or 6 times since November and it worked fine. Yesterday the same thing happened at Home Depot. After parking it for 20 minutes it would not start and I noticed the theft light flashing (had never noticed this before). I left the car there and came back three hours later, it started just fine and I drove it home. Any ideas why it won't start when the engine is warm?
  • I had a similar problem- only got worse until the truck wouldn't start at all. Ended up taking it to a dealer, who spent 3 hours (and $230) to discover that it was a loose grounding wire on the firewall- I had taken all the boxes off when I did the head gaskets, and apparently didn't tighten one well enough. It's worth checking. To narrow it down a bit- it was on the passenger side, near the top of the firewall. Good luck. ~B
  • Fishhead316, thanks for your reply. I checked all of the wires connected to the firewall and they were all tight. My thinking now is that the fuel pump is on its way out (another site I looked at suggested that the fuel pump could be in it's early stages of dying). How much does it cost to have a mechanic change a fuel pump on a 1999 ford expedition? Or am I wrong on this assumption of the fuel pump being the problem?
  • How much was it or them to reprogram the computer?
  • A fuel pump problem should be easy to detect with an in-line pressure gauge- you can pick one up at any parts store, and it will be a lot cheaper than paying for one that doesn't need replacing! Like I said though- MY issue was a corroded starter cable- the corrosion was hidden, and it was carrying enough voltage to "click" the solenoid- but the starter wouldn't turn. Is that what's happening with yours?
  • pinkwavepinkwave Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 ford expedition. All winter it starts just fine, as soon as the weather warms up when I turn it over it acts like it's not getting gas and dies within seconds. I had the "normal" stuff done, fuel line, fuel filter, gas cap, starter and it still is having the same issue. Can anyone help?
  • shortz1995shortz1995 Posts: 1
    been having the same problems as you, wondering if you have it solved?
    wife came home for lunch, an now the truck will not start. as you descibed in your post. i can do the same thing. (word for word). leave it sit for around an hour an she will fire right up.
  • I am not sure if it is fixed yet or not. We don't drive the Expedition much, so it may sit for a week or two between short drives and I think that may be a lot of the problem. The last time it happened (about 1 month ago) we let it sit for 2 1/2 hours and then tried it. It failed once and on the second attempt it backfired or coughed twice and then started up. The next day we took it on a 3 hour drive. About 5 times within the first half hour of freeway driving I could sense a very minor shudder or hesitation which seemed to be like a small misfire due to dirt or moisture or something. Then it stopped misfiring and we continued on our trip with no problems. We returned the next day driving 3 hours at freeway speeds and no problems. It has started for us since then, but again I am not convinced it is fixed. I think it is either the fuel pump beginning to fail or some sort of sensor that is going or has gone bad. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • pinkwavepinkwave Posts: 2
    Unfortunately not yet =( It happens at the worst time too. I've been all over the net because I don't want to take it to the dealer and have them change $1000 worth of parts and not know what the heck is wrong with it. I can guess for free!
  • So, has anyone been able to get the issue fixed? Could you please share? So far I have only found things to possibly try, and some stated that it works to start it in neutral when it's warm.
  • I have a 2000 ford expedition xlt. I moved the truck the other day off the driveway and it was fine, when I got back in it it wouldn't start, it turns over fine, I replaced the camshaft position sensor reset the battery and it was fine. now 5 days later my wife was driving she stopped and did her shopping and when she got back in it, it would turn over but wouldn't start. if I take the negative battery terminal off and leave it for 5 minuites it starts right away. there are no check engine lights on and I don't know what the problem could be, can anyone help
  • SITTING IN MY HOUSE HEAR A CAR TRYING TO TURN OVER NOTICE ITS MINE RUN OUT AND HAVE TO DISCONNET BATTERY TO STOP IT. ITS A 99 FORD EXPEDITION. PREVIOUSLY TRIED STARTING WITH KEY AND STARTER KEEPS TURNING OVER HAD TO DISCONNECT BATTERY CABLE TO STOP. WHATS GOING ON?
  • My 1999 expedition does the same thing. I found that by slightly stepping on the gas pedal it will catch. Also, sometimes when it's cold it doesn't idle very well and almost stalls, again just slightly stepping on the gas pedal and it smooths out. Guessing it could be the IAC, but not sure.
2»