Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Scion 2008 xD

nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
edited April 27 in Scion
Anyone interested in talking about the new Scions? They were shown at the Chicago auto show finally. Here's some coverage:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070208/FREE/70208005/1056/a- - utoshows

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119529#8

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=70534

The xD is the replacement for the xA (neither the xA or xB is available for the '07 model year, the ones left at dealers now are 2006s built late in '06 to cover the gap until the new models are ready). It is an obvious evolution of the xA stylistically, looking a little more "butch" but without many other major changes. Mechanically, there's big news, as it gets the Corolla's engine, with a 20% boost in power.

The new xB is my fave of the pair in terms of styling. It is close to the t2B concept from the auto show last year or the year before. It gets the Camry's 4-cylinder engine which is also the tC's engine. So it gets a lot more power, and with its brick-in-the-wind styling, I wonder just how far the fuel economy will fall as a result.

The xD is basically a current-gen Matrix in shape and mission, what with the same engine, same handling package, same body style...shall I go on? I personally prefer the looks of the Matrix to those of the xD, but I think both look nice (and of course this is Matrix's last year in its current form). I think with the xD, Toyota is trying to go head to head with the Honda Fit, which makes me wonder if it will go ahead with its rumored plans to begin selling the 5-door Yaris in the States.

I LOVE the interior of the new xB - it is bigger and more versatile, and I am a total sucker for that new IP - it covers half the dash! :-)
The stock stereos in this pair still seem to be fairly rocking right out of the box, but interestingly I notice that despite the long list of standard equipment (especially on the xB - look at all the safety gear that's standard), there's no cruise mentioned! Surely this will be a factory option this time around? What is it that Toyota thinks younger people hate so much about cruise control? And both of these engines come with available or standard cruise control in other Toyota models.

Apart from that, any speculations on prices, which have yet to be announced? I figure the price creep might be $1000 or so, which would still put an xD manual at around $14,5 and the xB manual at around $16K. I think those would be pretty competitive at those prices.

And fuel economy, always important to me...where will that go? The Corolla's engine can make 32/41 in that car now, but of course the xD's hatchback design makes it inherently more wind-resistant, which lowers FE. And I bet the xB will be geared for speed like the tC, so I bet it only has mid-20s fuel economy, which aint that great in the era of $3 gas.

Your thoughts?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Comments

• drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    More power (128HP)

Better rear seating (slides back almost 6")

Conventional gauges (not over center console)

For more info, go here:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2007020652141

DrFill
  • Umm...hello? *echo*

Okay.... it's very silent in here and I'm begining to feel lonely!!!!! :cry:

That's fine... I'll just wait... by myself... alone in cyberspace....

Killerpiece :surprise:
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    Hehe, yeah, I think you can count on those length and height numbers being switched! :-)

And in the end, aren't we all alone in cyberspace???!!!

My apologies to the other person who started a thread today on the new xB. I looked up xB before I started this one, but he has his spelled Xb, so the search function didn't find it. :sick:

I like that the thing is still fairly small, but with a nice long wheelbase so that there is lots of room in the back seat like with the current model, and it's small for driving (and parking) in the city.

• Happen to agree...

I'm not ready to pilot around an Hummer, not in SoCal traffic... but then again there is something to be said for having a lot of car around you. But that's another discussion for another time :P

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that cyberspace, even with all it's people, is still a pretty lonely place.

Anyway, keep an eye on this thread... I will. Never been part of beginning a thread before... Kind of feel like a parent on their kid's first day of school *sniff* *sigh* ;)

BTW, I sent you an friend invite on your CarSpace... if that's ok :confuse:

Killerpiece :shades:
  • dapontdapont Posts: 21
    The t2B concept car shown two years ago had lots of strange stuff but the concept of suicide doors on the drivers side with a full-length slider on the curb side was a real useful innovation. It's a shame they reverted to the old four-door theme, leaving us with just another microvan.
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    I like the bB (japanese version of xB) interior better, go to yota's japan site and check it out. I think they have to be price competitive with the Fit (at least with the xD). I don't know how they're gonna price the one with the big block.(TRD the 2.4 and run with the civic Si)

I think the new style lost the quirkiness of the original but I hope the space efficiency will make up for it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    Hey, someone else had the same idea at the same time and started a 2008 Scion xB thread. I'm changing this title so that we can talk about just the xD in here.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie,
    Is there any way my posts from "The New Scion xD" forum could be deleted? They were only relevant when this discussion included the xB as well...now they just don't make any sense! :P
    Sincerely,
    Killerpiece
  • I do like the new xB. It is dissapointing that they didn't go all the way with the body features on the t2B, like the 3 doors and 'wrap-around' windows. Looks like they opted to just paint the pillars black. It looks good, and I understand that it's probably more economical to do it that way, but I still feel a little cheated.

I'm glad they didn't go with the t2B's goofy interior. It was a little over the top. The new interior for the xB is definitely a huge improvement.

And what's up with going from a 1.5L to a 2.4L? That doesn't seem like a very logical leap! I love my xB's mileage. It was the obvious choice in a new car when my Datsun 510 started dying and I had to replace it. It had a custom 1.8L that wasn't very efficient, so the xB's mileage is a relief at the pump

What color is Blackberry Crush? Is that purple or a dark red? When did auto makers decide to stop calling colors by simple names?
  • you went from a Datsun 510 to a Scion xB? Anything in between the two? Wow, that's an old car.

What year of Datsun 510 did you have? I have a plastic model I hand-built of a 1968 Datsun 510 and love it. I painted it a burnt-yellow, almost a mustard color and it turned out great. It has a front valance and full body kit. 510's are awesome cars.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

Moved the relevant ones to the xB discussion instead. Hey, they're still interesting!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yeah, it seems like if you are looking for fuel economy at Scion beginning this summer, you will have to look at the xD instead of the xB.

Still if you consider the xB to be a microvan, then its only real competition in the States is the Mazda5. That one only makes 22/27, which will probably mean the new xB is the fuel efficiency champ between the two, if not by much.

The xD looks to be a lot more sporty and will have more power right out of the box than the current xA, which is good, but even if it moves to the Corolla platform (as I suspect it will if it has the Corolla's engine, but that's just speculation), it still won't have an independent rear. That's an unfortunate choice for a Scion, I think.

And it is clear that the new xD is going to step all over the Matrix's toes unless the Matrix makes some major changes at the redo a year from now.

• drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    #1: The 2.4 was the right move in the xB.

This should be a step up vehicle from the smaller xD, and I expect the tC to sport 200 HP in 2009. 26/34 MPG would be very nice. :)

My #2: The Matrix will now be a bigger xD. If you want more than a xB, get the Rav4. If you want more than the xD, get the next Matrix.

Looks like Toyota's plan. Works for me!

DrFill ;)
  • Wonder why no one ever mentions the spec's I found.

Unless it is a snow job, my reading is that xB has more driver's legroom, and headroom (I'm a big guy) than any other car on the road.True? That is why I am considering.

Write schreftb@yahoo.com direct please!

Bernie
  • otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    Wouldn't a 5-speed auto give better highway MPGs?
    This is a Forum format, so members are more likely to respond to you here than by e-mail. Besides, publicly we can ALL benefit from the conversation!

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    yeah, it keeps your engine from searching for the optimal power band all the time and it keeps your revs lower.

I think the xd is defintely an improvment over the xa, but something about its profile reminded me of a smoothed over caliber..ugh.
    They will probably keep the cost down by using the same powertrain as currently resides in the Corolla. Which has a 4-speed auto of course.

It's a very economical engine anyway, should do high 30s on the highway just like the current model does, but with more power.

• schreftbschreftb Posts: 7
    According to my research, the XB has more drivers headroom and legroom than any other cxar. Is this true and why doesn't it get mention? Please answer schreftb@yahoo.com.
  • schreftbschreftb Posts: 7
    All my research so far shoe XB to have more room than any car on road re driver's headroom and legroom.
    Someone said the Lincoln Navigator has more. So I checked. Wrong!The car is wider but Scion beats re driver's legroom and headroom!
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    if you're using the numbers from the 2006 xb, then you're right... it does have the most head and leg room.
    the 2008 xb is a new model and i don't believe the head and leg room dimensions have been published yet. the 2008 xb has a lower roofline, so it may not have as much head room as the previous model.
  • ohplezzohplezz Posts: 74
    Hi everybody. I don't know if this thread is dead or moved or what but I'll give it a try. I live in nyc and I'm going to the auto show today. I have been interested in the Xd since I heard about it a couple of weeks ago. I like the idea of being about to customize it and the possibility of getting good mpg since gas here in the city will likely be 4 bucks a gallon this summer. I'm going to buy something this summer or fall and the Xd is on my short list but the jury is still out. I found a list of add ons on the scion website and I thought some of you guys and gals might want to see them. I'll post tomorrow after the car show on my thoughts of the Xd. The limited slip diff is definitely a sweet mod for this car. The TRD list is not bad at all. But cruise control is not on the list of standard features or add ons. Very stupid on Scions part IMO. But you can get a decent after market one added on from the company that scion uses to add cruise control on its models that are sold in the south east. Cruise control has always been a option down south as it should be every where!! Enough of my rant.
    xD Accessories:

Interior: Carpeted Floor/Cargo Mats.. Cargo Cover.. Cargo Net.. Center Arm Rest.. Shift Knobs.. Sport Pedals.. Cargo Liner.. Color Steering Wheel.. Ashtray/Lighter.. LED Light Enhancements.. Scion Security.. Auto Dimming Mirror.. Illuminated Scuff Plate

Exterior: Rear Spoiler.. Carbon Fibre Engine.. Cover B-Pillar Applique.. Rear Tail Lights .Rear Bumper Protector.. Exhaust Tip.. Sound System: AM/FM/CD with iPod Capability ..Premium Audio XM Radio*.. AVN .. Headrest Monitors.. Sirius Radio*.. Sub-Woofer *

TRD Accessories:

TRD Lowering Kit
    TRD Performance clutch
    TRD Sport muffler
    TRD Rear Sway Bar
    TRD Strut Tie Bar
    TRD Alloy Wheel
    TRD Limited Slip-Differential ;)
    TRD Oil Filter
    TRD Quick shifter
    TRD Performance Air Filter
    I will be very interested to drive one in the fall (they are not coming out until early fall by the way) and see how good the stock handling is. They will still have the solid axle of the Yaris in back, of course, so the lowering kit and sway bar will probably make a world of difference.

The Rostra cruise you mention is relatively cheap and reliable, and functions in a way very similar to that of the Toyota factory cruise on other models.

I am really hoping they don't try to gear this model really short to pull extra speed out of it - with the Corolla engine and a lighter weight chassis it has the potential for really great fuel economy, something we know the xB won't have any more.

Let the people who want speed add the TRD supercharger. :-)

Well I went to the car show and checked out all the new offerings from scion and everybody else. Over all it was a good time even though the people that the manufactures hire to rep their products at the shows often know less about the cars than I do and that is not saying much. The scion Xd when every thing is factored in from my perspective is the winner. I have to have a car that gets good mpg or at least has the potential and I want it to look decent as well. Brand reliability is big as well. In its stock form the Xd is a little turd but with some after market wheels and tires (don't buy them from scion, way over priced) and the TRD accessories for handling and maybe a body kit, this little Xd won't look half bad. It looked to have decent room in its interior for a subcompact but I don't know for sure since it has yet to be released, nobody could sit in it. Overall I have to say that it is now my top choice for fall purchase (your right nippononly about fall release and the name of the cruise control company sounds right as well.) The other cars that caught my eye were the new accord coupe concept due this fall and the suzuki SX4 sedan. But the accord looks like its gonna cost more than I want to lay out for a car at this point and I don't think suzuki is quite there yet as a car company. The mpg that the 2.0L motor that they use in most of their cars is not so hot and the fit and finish was lacking, but they do make some quality motorcycles. Right now I'm just waiting for pricing on the Xd. I'm thinking 14k stock with out destination but that is just a guess. We will see. Now the wait.
    we know that side airbags will be standard on the new model, and the current model is about $14,650 with the airbags, including destination. That is with a stick shift. I figure with everything thrown into the new model, it will be a solid $500-700 more than that, so figure around $15,200 for a stick, including destination. This is also just about $1000 LESS than the new xB, so it preserves the pricing relationship they currently have.

When you add on TRD springs, shocks, LSD and other labor intensive accessories to scions are they installed at there port of entry or at the dealership? It seems if they are done at the dealer they are gonna try to rip you off big time. How do you know what the OTD price is on the car before you sign on the line? I've always wondered about this with scion and I've searched the web with no answers. Do you know? Also what do you think about the VSC option for the Xd. Do you think its really needed if you drop it with the TRD springs?
    that everything shown on the Scion website as an accessory is port-installed. You can order the car with those accessories installed before it gets to the dealer's hands.

It is no-haggle pricing, so you can build one just the way you like on the website, and pay that exact price when you pick it up. OTD would include taxes and fees, so you would want to look those over before signing on the dotted line.

Thanks thats good to know. The only bad thing about it is the Doc fee. Some dealers go nuts on it. 350 to 550. Hopefully when the time comes I'll be able to find one that does not completely try to rip me off. I wish we could haggle over the price. But I can't complain. Anything these days under 20k is a deal. Thanks again for the info.
    The Xb price came out. $16,230 for 5MT with destination. Cheaper than I thought it would be. This sounds good for the little Xd. :)
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    Total fees at the three dealers in my city were $400, $500, and $900. I went with the $500 dealer. The $900 dealer is not screwing anyone. People see the $900 in fees on their purchase order, and pay them. People choose not to discuss the fees, and do not walk away and look at the other dealers. If the dealer has no trouble selling Scions with $900 fees, why should he reduce the fees?
This discussion has been closed.