Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator Suspension

Comments

• Do yourself a favor and get rid of the air suspension. Go to strutmasters and order the conversion kit. I did it on my 99 and its great. No more headaches/worries.
  • I have a 04 Navigator and when the temp dropped below 50 degress the other day the air bags didn' t raise the car. The compressor came on, but no lift. Once the car warmed after driving a few miles the air bags started rising. Has anyone had this problem? It has done this the last 3 cold mornings. I'm not sure how to fix it. I purchased a new compressor last year.
  • Just wondering if you found the problem. Had the same problem and after several different parts replaced the check suspension light won't go out. :mad:
  • I had a mechanic to look at it and he thinks the compressor is going bad. I replaced the compressor a 1.5yr ago, so I'm skeptical. I'm going to purchase another compressor and will post if it resolves the issue.
  • Let me know how you make out. I got offered $12,500 for a trade on a $23000 MKZ today because the light is still on in mine. These idiots at the Ford dealership can't find what the problem is and i have already spent over 2k on their training!! Now they tell me the part #'s might be wrong on the sensors that were replaced?? How can engineers build something and then have no idea how to fix it when it breaks?? My advice to you and anyone else who owns on of these would be be sell it.....sad but true.
  • I read the manual too after my check susp light came on and the truck sat on top of back tires, rode like a bus!!!!!!!!! Manual said find the reset button and flip it back and forth 3 4 times, Make sure it is' on' after you flip it a few times, well that did not work. I read on this forum about disconnecting the battery , its 10:30 and cold, I went out and disconnected battery, connected it right back up and cranked up Navi and air suspension system started working, body came off back tires :) and sound of air bags blowing up was a complete blessing, we see what happens tomorrow when i get in it and drive it.....
  • I am having that same problem. I bought used front struts..didnt work...replaced the air compressor..now im riding lopsided. they said i need a new right side strut...is it that or the relay?
  • herc76herc76 Posts: 52
    Hello,
    My extended warranty just expired a few months ago on my 04 Navigator. I was looking at getting another e.w.. Now I have a possible future issue with my air suspension. My questions are:
    Is it worth getting?
    If so, what would be the best option?
    I was looking at USAA, Fidelity, AAA, my credit union, and Ford.
    I also heard that the it would be better to go with a coil spring kit.

Thanks
  • I had my 03 changed over to coil overs aver 2 years ago and have not had a single problem. I was paying several hundred dollars every winter when the sensors or something else stopped working on the air system let alone the fustration. I don't know how much you paid for the warranty but you might want to do a comparison. Also, are you having problems with the air system? did you repair it and getting more symptoms? again, compare amount of warranty vs price of coil over.
  • herc76herc76 Posts: 52
    The "check suspension" message was displaying last week. I took it to the dealership and they told me that the suspension was dry-rotten. I was only considering warranty for not only this issue but for other issues.
  • That's what i see happens alot. You spend a chunk of money to replace the struts and if its a dealership they will probably charge you for diagnostics. Next the check suspension comes on again but this time it's the height sensors. Then the light comes on again now it's a relay.
    I did the coilover and don't have to worry about those problems again.
  • tamitab100tamitab100 Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    I had a successful coil conversion on my 2000 Navigator but the compressor runs for long periods of time and I am afraid it will wear down my battery. Can someone please help me out with this? Also, how do u turn off the check suspension light?

Lastly, when I first heard about converting to coils I heard comments that the ride was the same or just as good as the air suspension...was that an exaggeration? I ask because from time to time I bounce as if I'm riding a wave; nothing major but it's something I definitely did not experience with the air suspension. If you've had the conversion done, please share what significant differences you notice other than The difference in height. Thanks!
  • I noticed that the ride is a little stiffer, but who cares...its worth it. Just turn off the air suspension switch to turn the compressor off. As for the check suspension light, just remove the bulb from behind the dashboard.
  • i have an 04 navigator with air suspension. i live in las vegas and evrytime the weather starts to get cold my air suspension will not in flate till i have driven the nav for awhile. either after i have have taken it on highway or driven locally for about a half hour. then it works fine. i don`t have an issue all summer long but it hates the cold. any suggestion would be great
  • nonosnonos Posts: 6
    I USED TO PLACE A JACK IN THE FRONT RAISE THE CAR WHILE ON AND IT WOULD SOMEHOW CLICK THE PUMP ON AND IT WOULD START TO INFLATE.
    I GOT SICK OF ALL THE UP'S AND DOWN'S AND PUT IN A STRUTMASTER SET UP. IT IS A BIT EXPENSIVE ABOUT $850.00. TO ME THATS A WARNING SIGN
    MINE USE TO DO THE SAME THING, UNTIL IT FINALLY QUIT GOING UP. BEING IN VAGAS, I DON'T SEE HOW THE WEATHER IS PLAYING A ROLE ( IT'S NOT LIKE IT'S SNOWING, BUT WHAT YOU COULD DO IS TO SATURATE IT WITH WD-40- ( I USE IT ON MY TOW-TRUCKS) DON'T WORRY IT WILL NOT HARM ANY ELECTRICAL WIRING. SORRY I DON'T HAVE MUCH MORE, I JUST THINK IT'S STARTING TO GIVE YOU A WARNING. CHANGE THEM TO STRUTS AND NEVER HAVE THAT PROBLEM AGAIN. GOOD LUCK

CARLOS-- HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
  • Have you been able to solve your problem? I have a 2005 Navi with a similar problem. When it is 40 degrees outside the front air bags will not lift. After about 30 minutes of driving and the car is warm then they will lift up. I have no problems when the temperature is warmer than 40 degrees?

Thoughts?
  • Have you been able to solve your problem? I have a 2005 Navi with a similar problem. When it is 40 degrees outside the front air bags will not lift. After about 30 minutes of driving and the car is warm then they will lift up. I have no problems when the temperature is warmer than 40 degrees?

Thoughts?
  • I have not. Started to buy a new compressor to see if that would fix the problem, but the compressor works. It's only my front that takes about 30 minutes to lift, so I'm perplexed.
  • One the front air bags most likely the front passenger side has a small leak, this happened to my gator aswell. The air bag dries out and when it's parked for a long time the air bag cracks and releases the air. After driving for a while the air bag warms up and the rubber material swells sealing the cracks but not completely. Check to see once you get home look at the front of the SUV and see if one side lowers first. I did this and had to wait for about an hr or a lil more.
  • I'm strongly considering a Strutmaster coil conversion on my 2003 Navigator which of course like everyone else is having issues with the air ride suspension during the winter. My question is this: How is the ride height affected once the coil conversion is done? I've seen a couple posts saying that the truck sits higher.

Strutmasters also offers a coil conversion "lift kit" which advertised a 3" front lift and 2" rear lift. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this particular "lift kit" from Strutmasters?

Thanks!
  • juan_412juan_412 Posts: 5
    edited January 2011
    If your navigatorexpedition is 97-02 the air suspension has a onoff switch under the dash board on the passenger side, if the ride is 03-06 the switch is behind the 3rd row seat on the drivers side panel.

And you don't need the strutmaster kit go to a junk yard and get the springs off of an expedition and save your self some $$$. If your front struts are air as well buy them new and have a normal factory ride

I've been hearing strutmaster give off a bumpy ride, got more questions email: janguiano58@yahoo.com
  • Hey I don't know what you are talking about man. I have a 2000 Navigator myself and my air bags went out. I bought their conversion kit back in August and I haven't had any problems. I am so glad I don't have to deal with Air anymore. I guess everyone has different experiences, but take it from me I love it. I am glad my buddy told me about Strutmasters.
  • allezrocketallezrocket Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I own a 2003 Lincoln Navigator and just recently I noticed that the Drivers side will stay down or "squatted" and the right side will inflate to driving levels. There are no alarms and the system check says suspension is OK. I just recently washed the truck however I dont know if this is when it started or not. The reason I bring this up is because we are experiencing very cold and snowy conditions lately.

Any suggestions -I am new to the air ride system so I dont even know where to start.
  • Allez,

Was this recently? It only sits when its cold outside?
  • hello. im having a problem with a back driver side sound when the car is just turned off. its makes a sound that last about 5 seconds(ticking noise) i need to find out what the problem is. can some body please help me. and no the truck does not get higher or lower with the noise. soon as i cut it off it makes it for about 5 seconds then stops with the key already out.
  • Hey, are you sure it's not coming from the passengers back side? Listen carefully because if it is, it could be your rear A/C system

If you have more questions email me at janguiano58@yahoo.com or write back here
  • Most of the time this is not a dry-rotted bag, it's the O-rings inside that go bad and create the leak. This is the reason it takes so long for the bag to deflate. I'd have the O-rings replaced before replacing the bag, the O-rings only run about $12-$15. This is more of a tip for a mechanically-inclined person with knowledge of how to properly disassemble the bags and resemble them correctly.
  • I just worked on an 03 Lincoln Navigator with the passenger front bag leaking all the way down. I replaced the o-rings inside the bag, both height sensors, and the compressor relay at the customers request. When I got to the relay I noticed the connector to the relay was partially melted and the metal contacts from the wire side were burnt. This means that the wires were not making a 100% connection. I then back traced the wires from the height sensor on the passenger side to the relay and noticed the loom and wires were burnt or melted. The harness itself is located to close to the passenger side exhaust manifold. The wires intermittently touch causing the passenger bag to "leak" or "vent" lower than the driver-side. You will need to replace and re-route this harness to stop this problem. I did this as a side job for a friend but I am also a Ford tech. It is NOT the technician that gets paid the thousands of dollars from these repairs. We get a small fraction of the hourly rate and NONE of the profit off of parts sold. We are told by Ford how many hours to charge, we don't decide on our own. In fact sometimes we only get paid for 3 hours on an 8 hour job, it can go either way. Not all techs are bad (as far as just replacing parts), but there are those out there that are simply "parts-changers". If the book doesn't tell them what to do they just replace something till it gets fixed.
  • bied2322bied2322 Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    Hit a pot hole on the highway, after wards the truck sat higher on the drivers side and lower on the passenger side, crooked! Suspension check light came on, but then turned off again... My husband used his diagnostic machine on it, but no error # appeared. Anyone tell me what the problem could be? We do not think its an airbag since they are still intact. We temporarily turned the suspension switch to off so that it doesnt sit crooked, but what a BUMPY ride, any hep would be appreciated!
  • nonosnonos Posts: 6
    this worked for me,

i got a jack and lift the passenger side up, the navigator has a sensor which tells it when the air bag is fully inflated, by jacking up the side thats down, it tricks the sensor, you might have to jack it up 2-or 3 times, but you'll hear the pump click and the air bag should start to inflate.

i got tired of all this and just changed everything over to strut masters, cost me about $800 bucks, but well worth it. turn the switch back on before you lift the gator up.