Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

Comments

• I have a 1999 limited 4-Runner. This thing has the worst gas mileage. I get around 11-13 city and about 15 on the highway. I read some of the other columns in here, and found out I'm not alone. Many, many 4-Runner owners are disgusted with their fuel consumption. So if you people are interested in a new 4-Runner, look closely at the mileage to and from where ever... You might want to visit a Nissan Dealership.
  • I usually get about 17 to and from work. 35 miles each way, mostly highway.
  • I hardly think your problem is widespread. You are only the second person I have heard this happening to here on Edmunds (the other one is covo). I get great mileage (for a truck) with my 1998 SR5 4WD.
  • hengheng Posts: 411
    I get almost 20 mpg in light suburban commuting. No highway trips yet.
  • 12 ~ 14 mpg local / half half commute.

17.9 mpg free ways.
  • I have been religious about keeping my milage...for some odd reason (why bother is you're gonna buy a 2 ton car). Let me say first, that I have loved this great big thing. I drive 95% city and get 11.5 summer with AC and 12+ winter without AC. Road trips I do really well to get 17 but mostly 15.5 to 16.5. That said, I am not a conservative driver. I make "jack rabbit" starts and feel free to kick in the passing gear. If I can get behind an idiot who is willing run interferance @ 95 down the interstate, I get behind and keep up. Made a 350 mile trip last week averaging 81mph (based on miles divided by time) and got 15.9mpg. I have never, once, gotten the promised 13mpg city or the 18 mpg highway in my giant gas hog. But considering my heavy foot I am not surprised. Being a child of the 60's when 8 or 9 city and 10 or 12 highway was the norm, I'm only amazed they can make 2 ton cars that get 12/16.
  • kanukkanuk Posts: 1
    Currently averaging 21mpg (US gallon) combination city and highway. One time best of 24. Worst 16 all city. The past few tanks have been constant at 21
  • dardsondardson Posts: 21
    2 posts back, I mentioned a pretty consistent 11.5 mpg on my Ford EXP 5.4V8. A few weeks ago I happened to be reading my owners booklet and noticed it said to use minimum 87 octane. I had seem on some post somewhere that reg. gasoline in higher altitudes was 86 rather than 87. Sure enough, last time I filled I noticed 86 octane for reg. unleaded. I filled with mid grade 88, checked the milage yesterday when I filled again, and got very close to 13 instead of the the usual 11.5. Interesting. Not sure it's meaningfull as I paid 10cents more per gallon, but I had no idea a few octane points made such a difference....and I have a seat-of-the-pants feel that the car is distinctly quicker. Hum???
  • tbavistbavis Posts: 7
    The 5.4 may have a knock sensor that causes the ignition timing to be retarded more with the lower octane. Maybe not enough improvement with 88 octane to pay for the difference, though.

I have two 3000 lb cars - a Subaru Forester, which does about 26 MPG commuting, and a Voyager, which does 23. Funny, my '73 Subaru and '77 VW only managed 26, and they were 1880 and 1800 lbs!
  • hengheng Posts: 411
    Just did a 350 mile trip this past weekend. 1st in this vehicle. Got a solid 20 mpg. Kept it mostly to 65 mph but includes a good 40 miles of crawling around town.
  • dmezdmez Posts: 3
    I only have about 700 miles on our new truck. Drove it to upstate NY this past weekend and maintained about 15 mpg on the highway and about 11 mph around town. Trip was about 300 miles round trip. Speed was 65 mph to 70 mph.
  • selmanselman Posts: 17
    City avg. approx. 13-14. Mixed avg. 15-16, Haven't had an opportunity to check Hwy. only.
    Mileage decreases about 1-1.5 MPG when pulling 1500 to 1800 lbs. (2 waverunner/gear).
  • City/Highway(SF Traffic) average overall about 21mpg. only 2000 miles on the car so hopefully it will get better with time.
  • I purchased a 1999 Toyota 4-Runner Limited about 3 months ago and have been having a real problem with fuel consumption. The mpg was listed at 17-20 mpg highway with a tank that is to hold 18.5 gallons of fuel. Neither of these stats have held true. First, my suv will only hold 13.5 gallons and I have averaged 180 miles per tank of gas over the 3 months. Now simple math tells me I am still only getting 13.33... mpg. My questions are: 1) Have any you 4-Runner owners had these types of problems with this make/model. 2) Why will this suv only hold 13.5 gallons of fuel(this has not changed for 3 months also). And 3) Is there a recall on the 4-Runner for problems will fuel consumption, inaccurate gauges or the wrong size gas tank on the 4-Runner. The Toyota dealership says there is no problem. I fail to see it that way. I would appreciate any information that anyone could offer up to make some sense of this situation.
  • My 2000 GCL V8 with Quadra Trac :
    City 13.5 to 14 imperial m/g
    haven't check highway m/g yet.
  • Automatic transmission:

City average 16.8 Imp mpg
    Combined average 21.01 Imp mpg
    Highway average 23.23 Imp mpg (Hwy 20-22 Imp mpg with 9ft Kayak on roof rack and camping supplies piled inside)

Although fuel is sold by liters up here, I always change it to Imperial gallons.

Please remember there is a difference in Imperial gallons to US gallons.

I didn't do the math conversion from the Imperial Gallon to the US gallon or to the Metric Liters.

Approximate conversions:
    4.546 L = 1 Imperial gallon
    1 Imperial gallon =1.25 US gallons
    1 US gallon = .75 Imperial gallons
  • Forgot to mention, it is also 4X4.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    With 40,000 miles, never better than 15mpg on 100% freeway and 9-11 mpg in the city. Average in mixed mode is about 12 mpg; thank god it's regular fuel!

EPA was 14/18 mpg; EPA dyno operator must have been on coffee break or asleep at the switch when they tested this puppy.

Interesting Ford Motor Co. statement in a recent article on the new Explorer/Mountaineer coming out early next year with the 4.6L V-8 instead of the 40-year-old 5.0L V8 -- here's how they plan to increase mpg by 25% in these SUVs:

1. Increase vehicle weight by 250-300 pounds (huh?)
    2. Keep the same aerodynamics as before (huh?)
    3. Admit that the 4.6L is not that much more fuel-efficient than the old 5.0L (OK)
    4. (Drumroll - here's The Real Answer):
    a. Install 5-speed automatic instead of 4-speed
    with new model introduction
    b. Within a year after that, introduce a 6- speed automatic

In other words - gear that sucker down to where it will be doing about 1200 rpm at 70 mph, a "semi-coast" mode. Hope all you folks towing something like dropping back into 3rd or 4th gear to go up 2% grades!

Sounds like a way to fool the EPA highway mpg test - wanna bet the new numbers with the 6-speed look like "14 mpg city, 28 mpg highway"?!

JM
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    Just to be accurate --

Ford is introducing their "Powershift" Auto Trans in a year or so - it's a 6-forward-speed trans plus reverse so it's called a 7-speed. Close enough.

Interesting that Ford claims this unit will improve MPG by only 6% over current AT units - where will the other 19% of projected improvement come from - solid rubber tires?

If you want more facts on the PowerShift unit, check "blueoval.com" site.

Jeff
  • I've just had my Tahoe a month but got 17 with a few 50 mile trips to Salt Lake City and back. Just putting around town locally got 16.
    Richard
  • I live in San Diego and have had my Explorer for
    only 1.5 mo., but have driven 2000 miles and am
    getting 18mpg overall... haven't been on any
    trips with it tho...
  • smily1smily1 Posts: 104
    I have a 98 Explorer XLT V8 AWD and got 18.8mpg on the 100% freeway and >14 with city and freeway. That was until the tire recall. I now bested 15.4mpg with 100% freeway and 13mpg mixed. It seems that the Bridgestone Dueler APT II's are dragging.
  • In town the LX averges 14 mpg. On the hwy, avg speed 75, 16.5 avg.

X5 in town avg 17, on hwy avg spd 75, 22 mpg
  • First tank of gas in new Tahoe (w 5.3 L) =

15.2 MPG.

That was a mix of city and highway miles. It has Goodyear tires.
  • 11 MPG in imperial gallons. Not good
  • My first checked mileage at 520.4 miles combined city/highway revealed 25.78mpg. This with V6 DOHC, 4-spd auto, 16" BF Goodrich tires, and "normal" driving which includes 65-75mph highway speeds.
  • Average 15.5 per gal city/highway mixed.
  • Average 16 mpg mixed driving. She's a bit of a drinker. (92 Oct is her fuel of choice, thanks Opec!!)
  • Just finished 1200 mile trip-freeway-70-80 mph: 20.8 mpg. The vehicle has 2000 miles on it.
This discussion has been closed.