Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

Comments

• highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    LOL...

hey tides...I wouldn't do that to ya.... :-)

how about

ILKK WDY ?

heard that KKs were inflating their sales figures, and stocks been going down....er...we have to start another thread to keep KK sales up... :-)

got 20 mpg on the cayenne on a straightaway...flat land...going 60 with no others in car...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    got 20 mpg on the cayenne on a straightaway...flat land...going 60 with no others in car...

You must have had a pretty stiff tailwind! ;-)

Re: KK - inflating sales figures seems to be SOP these days!

tidester, host
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    44 gallons, yowsah! At least you don't have to do it that often.

What does gas weigh? About 7 lbs per gallon? If so that would be 308 lbs, like having 2 female passengers with you at all times.

-juice
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    Well water is 8.3 lb/gal. Gasolines specific gravity is 0.739 lb/gal, so that puts it at about 6.2 lb/gal.

And you implication that it is less efficient to keep your gas tank full is correct. The vehicle's heavier hurting mpg, and the brakes, suspension, and tires are all working harder.

Unless you're going to drive 50+ miles, you should probably keep your tank at 1/4 full. But then the gas stations would be crazy.
    I hear ya. At least the weight is sprung.

-juice
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    hi tides... don't worry. one of my resolutions for '05 is be a kinder, gentler machine gun hand(to paraphase a song).

btw, how do you decide who presides over these discussions? also, do you ever trade them(i'll give an active suv thread for a hybrid and a forrester thread)?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, Explorer!

btw, how do you decide who presides over these discussions? also, do you ever trade them(i'll give an active suv thread for a hybrid and a forrester thread)?

These are user led discussions so no one presides over them but if you're asking how hosting assignments are made it's just by category so, e.g. Steve and I get all the SUV discussions. But swapping is an intriguing idea! :-)

tidester, host
    tides... i should have written 'hosting' instead of 'presiding over'. guess it's not like where i work; when things are going bad they get changed around. when things are going well they get changed around. :)
  • If you live in the North, then October is about the time they change the gas formulation for emissions. It doesn't make sense to have a cleaner burning fuel that reduces efficiency, but then again its the government. I live in Philly PA and my mpg always is 2-4mpg less Oct-May then in the summer.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Is this the reason (changing gas formulation during cold months) that people complain about getting worse gas mileage in the Winter? I have heard this complaint, but grew up in Florida and never understood it. Now that I live in DC, I am interested in learning more about this. Could somebody explain why and how they do this?

Thanks!
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    I always assumed this this was just the engine trying to idle higher to get the engine warmer (at startup) thus burning slightly more fuel. I also would think that people have their defroster/heater on thus consuming more electricity/fuel.. But 2-4mpg lower seems more than just slightly to me...
  • crimdoccrimdoc Posts: 36
    I just bought a brand new 2005 CRV LX ... I'm getting about 20-21MPG from mostly highway driving.

This is far short of the EPA 29MPG highway, but then again I drive about 75-80MPH, live in Michigan, and the car only has 1200 miles or so on it (still well within the break in period).

I take it then, that I shouldn't panic about the low fuel economy?
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    The CR-V is actually fairly aerodynamic for an SUV, but it still has a large frontal surface area. Estimates from a while back claimed that about half of the fuel used by a car when driving above 50 mph is used to overcome wind resistance.

Speed really does matter.
  • kizhekizhe Posts: 242
    Is your poor mileage connected with your Pulling To The Right (PTTR) problem?

While I agree with varmint that speed really does matter, I believe that you have a problem.

(I hope that your problem is NOT connected with your right foot :-) ).

("Right Foot Problem" - (RFP) defined as a condition when the driver can't help himself and push on the gas pedal :-) ).

At no time had I such poor mileage - not during breaking period, not when I was speeding on highway (I usually don't), not in a cold weather, not even in heavy traffic!

BTW, tire pressure is very important too.

I keep my tires @ 34 psi, I have CR-V EX 2003, my highway mileage is about 28m/Gal + .
    Kizhe,

I don't know if it's connected ... I doubt it, but anything is possible.

The tires are at the recommended 30PSI ... I can bump it up to 34 and see what happens.

I drive pretty smoothly (not a lot of rapid starts and stops) ... but I do confess to typically driving about 10 MPH over the speed limit.

We'll see if things improve as the vehicle breaks in.
  • kizhekizhe Posts: 242
    If your driving style is pretty smooth, as you described, then you have a problem, I believe .

Your poor mileage and Pulling to the Right problem might be connected. Point that out to your dealer and be persistent. Keep us posted.

Good Luck!
    Speed does matter, my wife typically gets +2mpg compared to me, even on the same trip. She only goes 55 or so while I'm pushing 70.

-juice
    i can't blame you just keeping up with the other traffic. isn't the speed limit on I-94 75mph?
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    I agree that many freeways have a 75 mph speed limit...meaning many are going at least that fast....and some are going 80 plus...

Higher speeds causes more usage of fuel, no matter what vehicle...

even no-SUVs....

;-)
    I'm really curious what type of real world numbers small SUV drivers are getting in the "great white north" (Michigan in my case).

I've heard some conflicting advice whether the 20MPG out of my 2005 CRV is something to worry about (its rated at 23c/29h).

I'd be interested in numbers from anyone driving an Escape, Santa Fe, Rav 4, etc.