Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

Comments

• jg88jg88 Posts: 59
    Lately, just driving around town, not much highway driving, getting 15 mpg. Best highway mileage was just south of 20 mpg. Usually get 18-19 on the highway cruising @ 75 mph.

Overall combined average this year is 16 mpg.
  • daedae Posts: 143
    Since most SUVs give you the option to switch from 4x2 to 4x4 with a manual control knob, do you get the fuel economy as EPA posts (ex. 2005 nissan Pathfinder 16/23-4x2, 15/21-4x4)as a 4x2 when in the 4x2 mode?

No, as you still have to spin the transfer case gears, and the disconnected wheels still need to spin driveshafts and differential, unless you got manual hubs, even when disconnected at the transfer case.

Not as bad as a full time system with the center differential, but not as good as a 4x2.
  • timcobtimcob Posts: 3
    I only have my 07 FWD escape 2 weeks and have only gone 250 miles so far in mixed driving - 25 mile commute in the bay area. But so far my combined city/highway driving is 36.5 mpg. This coming from a K2500 Suburban where I got 10-11 mpg in similar conditions. With the tax credit my hybrid cost 300 less than the sticker of a similarly equipt V6. Without the credit the breakeven point over the V6 model is 34,000 miles @ $3 per gallon (that would be cheap around here).

Tim C
  • The Suburban gets 18-20 highway. Jeep Commanche gets 17 town and 22-24 highway.
  • I have a limited edition with 10k miles. I get about 21 mpg in the city
  • Anyone driven one long enough to comment? I just bought one for my recent college grand and she loves it. Its not like my other Cherokees? This one drives like a dream. Just wondering what yall know about fuel rates.
  • Best SUV ever made if you really USE an SUV (off-road, pack it, camp in it, the seats that turn into a bed are a nice touch for those heavy down-pour nights, load it up with gear and go) (from 2000 on, they're not the same). BTW, mileage is with vehicle over 100k miles.
  • I have an 06 XLT 4 Dr 2.3L V6 Engine Ford Escape. I have a 20-25 mile one way commute I have drive 5 or 6 days a week. I mainly drive on the freeway, rarely city. I fill my tank every 4 days. I usually average 300+/tank. And in San Francisco, it usually cost me between $30-$35/tank. A friend of mine owns a Honda CRV and she does a lot of freeway driving and she told me her CRV averages about the same mileage and gas. Hope this helps.
  • I recently bought a horse, so I'm selling my 2006 Prius to buy an SUV (not planning to haul a trailer, just equipment). Most of my daily driving is city with traffic (idling).

Based on real world MPG: Any suggestions on which SUV to go for? Don't want another hybrid they're not worth the extra cost for what you actually get -- but I'm just about convinced I'm gonna buy a 2008 2.4L 4 cyl Toyota RAV4 Sport.

I'd like to hear from other SUV owners out there if there are other models I should consider?
    Thanks! :)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    I think most of the RAV4 owners will tell you to get the 6 cylinder for the extra pep, with not too much of a mpg hit. And for toting a bunch of horse tack around, my guess is that a 4 banger would struggle a bit. You gonna be hauling lots of bags of oats and stuff too?
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    Two of my friends have RAV4's with the V6 and it seems to me to be about the best FE around with good "scoot" power. I was considering the HH but with the tax credits now gone, the extra cost would never be justified as far as economics are concerned.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    How heavy does the trailer get when it's fully loaded?

Honestly, I think a 4Runner would be better suited to that task.
  • Thanks for the input, I'm not sure I need / want a 6 but will test drive both the 4 & 6 to be sure. The most feed I'd be hauling at one time would be two 50 # bags, so it's not like it's gonna be loaded with stuff.

If I could afford to feed it, I'd get a Tundra so I could also haul a trailer. But whatever I buy will be my every day vehicle, so no Tundra for now.
  • Hi
    Not hauling trailer with this vehicle -- but depending on whether I got an aluminum or steel trailer, it'd probably be upwards of 5000# with horse on board.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    If I could afford to feed it

Feeding a horse will definitely cramp your style when it comes to feeding a truck. ;)

There's 3 horses within a block of me - the owners all try to work some overtime now and then, lol. They all have trailers and big honking pickups too.
    No trailer, in that case you'll be fine.

Plus, if gas hits $8 per gallon you can just ride the horse to work. :D
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    I have 2 of the best SUV's available.A 2004 Toyota Highlander V6 which averages
    21 mpg and a 2006 Honda CRV AWD EXL (wife's car) which only does slightly
    better at 22 mpg.On a trip the CRV does 27 mpg and the Toyota 24 mpg.I think
    the CRV is slow when merging but the Toyota is fast by comparison.One thing
    I wish the CRV had is Automatic Climate control it is not even offered.If I could only
    keep one it would be the Highlander cause of better everything.Of course it's MSRP
    was $36k vs the CRV at $26k.You get what you pay for.If I could have gotten another Highlander for $26k I would have.
    You can get a very, very basic Highlander for that sort of price.

Lemme do a quick check...fitzmall.com has them for as little as $25,581. Of course that's FWD and not many options...
  • idahoidaho Posts: 4
    :) After the first 1500 miles I consistently get 18.5 mpg around town. Haven't had it on a trip yet so not sure what the highway mileage will average.
  • It's just a matter of time until I get the trailer -- & the truck. I've had two Silverados in the past will likely take a look at them again when the time comes. For now I'm begging friends or hiring a professional hauler to move my horse when needed....
    :D