Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

1474849505153»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That sounds about right actually.

Wasn't the EPA 14/18, something like that? That was even before they revised those figures down in 2008 or so.

Your highway mileage is actually better than I expect.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Would disconnecting the battery to reset the computer be of any value?

Yup, with the battery disconnected, it will prevent you from driving it. Which in turn will increase the gas mileage infinitely. :P

The longer you keep the battery disconnected, the better overall fuel economy you will get. ;)
    You'll save fuel but be ready to replace your shoes more often. ;)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    I think the theory is that if you reset the engine computer by disconnecting the battery, the car components will have to relearn your driving style. So if you take it real easy after the reset, the SUV will learn to sip fuel, go easy on the shifting, etc.

I don't think it works like that in the real world though. The computers may have to relearn, but they are always compensating depending on what signals the various sensors are sending them.

It's a cheap experiment to try (assuming that you don't lose a radio antitheft or other security code when you disconnect the battery and have to pay a dealer to reset it).
    In my experience they start rich and then lean the fuel mix out as you go. So odds are the first tank will have even lower mileage than he's getting now.

Longer-term it may have small gains, but I bet checking the tire pressure more often works out just as well.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    I threw away a seat in my minivan when we first got it a decade ago. I bet that's saved me a nice hunk of gas over the years.

Yeah, check the tires, toss out the extra junk stashed in the back of the SUV, anticipate the red lights. That simple stuff goes a long way.
  • 423carter423carter Posts: 1
    I just rented an 09' Escape on Memorial day week end. My trip took me from Chattanooga, TN to Gulf Shores, AL. I left Chattanooga at 11 o'clock pm with cruise on 79 mph and I did not take it off until I got off the Exit Bay Minett AL. Then I resumed my course into Gulf Shores AL at 5mph above speed limits. I plotted my course at 26.5 MPG.
    I am 5'10" 320 pound male that loves his roominess(for lack of a better word). I am currently in the market for a FORD Escape V6.
  • crvexl2008crvexl2008 Posts: 15
    edited June 2010
    I recently drove across the country in a move and I had the entire CRV packed to the roof with the rear seat down . I had to have had about 300 additional pounds not counting my own weight of 170lbs plus the Chihuahua's 12 lbs. I set the cruise on 70MPH most of the way and averaged almost 32 MPG the entire trip. My MPG low was 23.1 going up the mountains and my MPG high was 37.9 going back down the mountains. I now average 26-28 MPG in combined City and Highway in the rural town I now live in !
    plus the Chihuahua's 12 lbs

Can't forget that important fact! :shades:

You may have gotten 0.01 mpg better without him.
  • I have a 01 nissan pathfinder and im getting 13 city and 18 freeway!! horrible gas mileage....
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Posts: 146
    2009 Honda CR-V EX AWD.

On a recent trip driving 5-10mph over the limit (so 60-75mph) I average 27.3mpg.

On short trips I average anywhere from 12-19mpg depending on time of year and how much I leave the car idling in hot or cold weather when I pick-up my daughter from daycare. I'm pretty hapy with that overall.

My highest is 30.1mpg driving 55-60mph with no wind on hilly rurla 2-lane roads and allowing the car or accelerate downhill and lose speed uphill to prevent a downshift and keeping the torque converter unlocked.

I still wish it has a 6 speed so it was a little more responsive when you needed power to pass. I find that 2nd gear is a little too short and 3rd gear is a little too tall a lot of the time.
    2010 model, AWD, 2.0l engine with 150hp.

Getting between 21mpg city and 30mpg highway.

Interestingly, no better than our 2.5l US-spec Forester gets, despite the smaller engine. Roads here are awful, though, with lots of pot holes and speed bumps you have to slow down for.
  • propwash49propwash49 Posts: 38
    Doesn't the fuel down in Brazil have a lot higher ethanol content than it does in the US? If so, that would account for at least part of the reason you're not getting the mileage that you might expect.
  • gmashgmash Posts: 1
    On vacation trip with loaded car, Thule box on top and bike rake off back, 16 mpg...not bad and if didn't have Thule box on or bike rake, would expect 18 or even 19 mpg, but around town daily driving, no better than 13 - 14 mpg
    I'm not sure, but it does have some ethanol content. To be fair, so does ours (in MD at least, E10 IIRC).
  • jnnt29jnnt29 Posts: 9
    I took a trip from North New Jersey to Myrtle Beach SC and got 30 MPGs on the highway and 25 in the city. Very happy with this mileage