Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan Instrument Panel

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Thank you for the information. I am sure that many of us minivan suckers will need it... again and again. ;)
  • madmike3madmike3 Posts: 2
    Looks like it got me too. I have a 2000 Voyager. Occasionally when I would start the car the instruments, AC and rear wiper controls were dead. The odometer and shift indicator were also dead and the ABS light was on. Everything would come back accompanied by the click of the door locks. It happened more and more until now it seems permanent. I checked all connections since it looked like a grounding issue and I even removed the junction block and BCM checking for water damage or burned components. Everything looks good but it still doesn’t work. Unless someone has a better answer I think I will get a BCM.
  • shmoyagershmoyager Posts: 1
    I've Googled and read nearly all messages related to my issue, but none that nail it- so here goes:

FIRST: Instrument panel, including all gauges, will flatline and then return when it feels like it. The common forum answer seemed to be a bad solder job on the instrument panel.

THEN: My Hi-beams stopped working, wipers are intermittent, Driver side interior dome light may or may not turn on, usually a few seconds after door is opened, then turns off immediately.

FINALLY: Now I have a P1698 OBDII Error Code and the torque converter is not engaging (van starts fine, but stalls when put into gear. If I rev the engine at the precise moment I can get it into drive, but seems to be in limp mode, as it doesn't shift at high rpms). Oh, and I now sometimes have no LO beams either.

CONCLUSION...?: My guess is that the tranny is not bad. Rather, since the tranny on this van is electronically controlled and has given me NO issues prior to these electrical problems, I feel everything is related to an electronic issue. I've checked for secure connections on the PCM and PDC, but that's the extent of my abilities. If I knew how to read a wiring diagram I would hope to find that the instrument panel, lights and TCM all meet somewhere, and that this would be the culprit. I don't want to have it towed to a transmission shop only to find out that it was something like a bad BCM all along.

ANY help would be GREAT!
  • madmike3madmike3 Posts: 2
    Well, I bought a BCM and installed it and the condition did not change. I still have no gages, ac controls or rear wiper (all the little buttons are dead). The car runs normally and I even get the bell when the fuel is low but no indicator. Still looking.
  • shagyashagya Posts: 5
    Hello. I hear quite a bit about BCM problems. I have a few which might be related [on a 92 Voyager 3.3l V6]. The "door ajar" light won't go out and if the headlights are still switched on after the ignition is turned off then I have to turn them off-on-off. Thought there was a timer delay on the headlights but I don't think that works or doesn't exist. I wonder if a schematic diagram exists for these BCMs? A competent electronics designer could probably build these from scratch.

:)
  • shagyashagya Posts: 5
    Speaking about things not working. I put this comment on BCMs in the wrong place. Sorry.
  • i read your blog about this 330 ohm resistor is this somthing that can be purchased at radio shack or you said that you could help on a repair
  • juliet5juliet5 Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 98 Grand Caravan from the mechanic today. Everything fixed! He found 3 bad solder connections in the instrument panel. He resoldered joints, reassembled instrument panel and reinstalled everything, all in less than 2 hours and under $120. My original problem is described as follows: every now and then van would rev up but not turn over. Odometer, speedometer etc would not engage. After 3 tries the car would be dead. Would not jump to start. After a few minutes or overnight the van would mysteriously start up again and run fine. The last time this happened I did some research and found a post by theburl on another topic on this site (#3167) about hitting the dash just above the steering wheel, tried it and voila! My van started right up. You turn the key half way and then smack the dash, then turn the key all the way. Worked 3 times before I got it to the mechanic for a true repair. I am so happy I found this site and got such useful information. I am a mom of 3 who knows nothing about cars and I find this website fascinating. I love my Caravan!
  • lshrmlshrm Posts: 2
    I need to replace bulbs on my 98 Plymouth Voyager (Service Engine Soon), however cannot figure out how to reach them, please help if you have already done this. Thanks.
  • lshrmlshrm Posts: 2
    Need to replace Information Center bulb on my 98 Plymouth Voyager (Service Engine Soon), however cannot figure out how to reach them. Saw a post that says "no need to take cluster apart to replace the bulb" did not say how, any suggestion on how to get to those bulbs? Please share, will help me a lot. Thanks.
  • you have to take the instrument cluster out, and reach up and behind the light on the dash. its the first one to the left from the center.
  • :shades: MY MECHANIC FOUND AND FIXED IT! I have a 98 Plymouth Grand Voyager, Expresso purchased new. It had been doing all of the electric issues raised. Dealership where it was purchased new replaced every computer chip they could charge me for (@ $600 bucks a chip no less)! Out of total disgust went to body shop mechanic who sent me to mechanic across the street from him and HE FOUND IT-FIXED IT! And to confirm that he fixed it--the repair was done late last year and I am still driving today without any issues! THE MAN IS INCREDIBLE. The problem is with the mother board for the electrical; the soldering cracked. If you let it go long enough the van starts stalling out completely and won't turn over especially in humid weather. I used to pound on the dashboard behind the steering wheel when it wouldn't turn over and sometimes that would help. I was towed 3 separate times (in the rain) because the car would not turn over but turned over the minute it was taken off the flatbed because the car had been "jiggled and tossed about"--"Sounds like the battery" "Sounds like the starter","Sounds like...." And I replaced all of it! You need to speak with this man: Dominic, owner/operator of DMC Automotive, Hatboro, Pennsylvania-- He is a certified, factory-trained Mercedes repair service center. (Daimler is Mercedes). First thing Dominic said was Mercedes had a problem like this and he found it. So, I am still driving my 1998 purple Plymouth Grand Voyager today (10-9-2007)--lovingly referred to as "Barney Boat". Except now the engine has an oil leak and its "clunking" at red lights and the transmission probably has to be replaced. BUT--it's not stalling out and the dashboard doesn't flicker and/or flatline anymore! Can you guess where I'm taking it---Please let Dominic know the lady with the purple "Plymouth Voyager" sent you! Dominic feels the car is beginning to cost me but how many new cars today cost $3,000?
  • I have a few questions about my '98 Grand Caravan along those lines. I wasn't sure if it is even possible to contact you off list.
  • I have a 04801062AE BCM that's effecting the headlights. The high beams work, but the headlights don't. The interior lights don't work either.

What can I do to repair the bcm I have or do I have to go to Chrysler and pay $700.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Joe
  • Sorry to hear about the tranny problems, but thanks for posting. I'm having the dash problem too, just for clarification, when you say "mother board" you mean the printed circuit board for the instrument cluster, behind the dashboard, correct? Just checking because mother board could mean any of the computers - body control module (BCM) or powertrain control module (PCM) among others. I did check my circuit board and resoldered all the connectors and checked for any other bad solder connections - I believe my problem in in the BCM. Thanks!
  • I need hep with this. My Dodge Grand Caravan's instrument panel light is off. Please tell me in more details to replace the bulb. By the way, is it possible that the bulb is ok but the fuse is burned? Thank you very much.
  • sjasja Posts: 11
    I have a 99 GCV and the instruments are flatlined. I've posted my dismay under electrical problems. In addition, I've submitted a complaint to the NHSTB at the following site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I encourage all to place a their complaint here as it is most definately a manufacturing defect that is causing our woes.

The Chrysler Corporation needs to be held accountable for this problem, as well as many others I'm sure. :lemon:
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Unfortunately for Chrysler, the problems with the dash can be mostly laid at the feet of the government. Why? Because of the efforts that the government has gone to to mandate ever lower levels of lead in solder, and it isn't just Chrysler that is suffering from this change (hello NASA, not to mention virtually every other manufacturer out there).

The good news for you is that the repair for your dash is typically VERY cheap. Pull the panel, find the failed solder connection and resolder it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sjasja Posts: 11
    I am finding this very difficult to comprehend. $12.00 for a 15/30 watt soldering iron at Radio Shack, an hours worth of work, and the instruments now work. I could not tell which connection was bad so I touched the iron to the backside of where the black connector goes into the panel. Then took the panel further apart and touched all the connections for the lower connector. The gages and rear window wiper work. The ABS light is out and after disconnecting the battery for awhile, the Service Engine Soon light extinguished.

Let's see how long this works. I've seen some strange things in my life, but never anything like this. Thanks Shipo.
  • i just bought a 93 voyager my whole dash went out now all my lights are blinking in and out can any one help me please already checked instrument cluster it looked fine didnt see any bad or cracked solder