Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• dont buy a Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali/Escalade

why?

1. Pushrod engines - Instead of improving efficiency and gas mileage, they lower both of them because of their lack of overhead cams, Variable Valve Timing and/or Variable Induction System. plus they are too harsh and accelerate slowly
    2. Poor crash tests - Silverado, which is based on Suburban or the other way around, got only a MARGINAL in crash tests scores
    3. Lack of airbags and safety features - ONLY side airbags are available, nope..no side curtains here! also the Traction Control System and Stability Management System isn't as advanced as the Japanese
    4. Poor build quality - why are u paying 50K for a Suburban with fake wood inside?? call it Escalade!..not worth it, believe me..ive had experience..also, the GM "parts bin" gives the same materials and plastics from the low-quality Suburban/Tahoe to the Escalade/Denali..NOT WORTH IT!

So why buy Japanese?

1. New Infiniti QX56 - the size of an Escalade with a sexier interior with the latest in safety, technological, and mechanical features..better gas mileage too..better overall resale value and much higher-quality at a couple-of-thousand dollars less
    2. Toyota Sequoia - higher quality and STILL BUILT IN US..wow! was it a miracle or what? more safety features too
    3. Nissan Pathfinder Armada - new and capable of everything

**remember this: even the 2004 Lincoln Navigator has more sophistication in it! It just needs a more powerful engine..
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Perhaps you were looking for the Suzuki Grand Vitara discussion. You appear to be lost.

tidester, host
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    could even move to Japan as he is total taken by their SUV's which at best are mere copies and knock-offs of the aforementioned American made cars. He also needs to look at torque curves of the engines he mentioned.
  • hmm..well u must not notice how much they have improved over the years <japanese mainstream luxury> compared to others...still seems america is lagging behind..
  • and the host of this discussion owns a "98 Mercury Sable" which Edmunds.com says has a "rental car persona" and ezrapon owns a Pontiac..which is a pretty reliable and sporty car..so nothing bad said..
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    The hosts of this discussion prefer that you stay on topic and strongly urge you to do so.

tidester, host
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    2001 Denali purchased new, driven over 40k miles and I have nary a nit to pick. Has been solid and more relaible than a friend's 2001 Sequoia. It's the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned including other GM, Ford, Toyota, Subaru and Volvo.
  • I am on my second Denali - the first one was so great that when GM offered a combination of 4 channel StabiliTrak and the range of financial incentives on 2003 models, I decided to trade my 2001 for a 2003. I do not regret the decision - on either the 2001 or the 2003. Like orwoody, I have had hardly any complaints. Indeed, my 2003 is at the point where I am getting 18 mpg at 65 to 70 mph highway cruising. I was wondering if 18 mpg was a fluke that was limited to my 2001. Fortunately, it was not. To anyone looking at a Denali, I would highly recommend it.
    yukons this summer. A SLT for my wife, and 3 months later a Denali for myself. Neither have been in the shop yet. My 2000 SSEi Pontiac had a stall named after it... about 20 visits. I do have a loose armrest and my wife's SLT has a gas gauge problem... not really enough to take em' in. I keep waiting for something else to go wrong. Hopefully the warranty will expire before anything else crops up. I'll buy another. If I had known these cars were so comfortable and agile; I would have been driving one 4 years ago.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Hopefully the warranty will expire before anything else crops up.

You'd rather pay for the repairs?
  • You mention a gas gauge problem in your wife's Yukon. Exactly what is the problem? I have a 2003 Denali and it seems as if it slowly creeps to 1/2 tank and then rushes to empty. Is this similar to your problem? I really don't have any complaints, love the truck although it does have a slight wind noise by the drivers window, don't know if that is normal but I'll have everything checked when I bring it in for regular service.
    The gauge in the SLT quit going all the way to full. It reads about 7/8 when filled to the brim. As for warranty issues, I'd like to go through the entire 3 years with out one problem...THEN; get the extended. The SLT has wind noise at the sun roof and drivers side window or windshield. The Denali is whisper quiet... with the sunroof shield closed.
  • My 2003 Denali's gas gauge definitely creeps twoard the 1/2 mark and then drops like a rock. I recall this same situation with a Buick I used to have. Maybe it's a GM thing?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    its due to the shape of the gas tank......
  • jtbuffjtbuff Posts: 25
    Was wondering how most change their oil.I usually change every 3000 miles but when I check the oil life I still show 63 percent oil life left.Have a 2003 Yukon Denali XL. Really like the vehicle.Have had quite a few probles with it.Stabilatract,ride control and while we were on vacation in Fla.water came pouring down from the overhead consol so much that it filled the ash tray up.Got everything fixed.Did manage to get a pretty good warranty.Full coverage no deductable for an additional 72,000 miles.So the Denali is covered for 86,700 or until 2009.
  • I have my 2003 Denali's oil changed every 5000 miles at the dealer. I take my own oil (Mobil 1 5W-30) and filter (Mobil 1). They charge me $11 labor for the oil change and lube. I figure for $11 it's not worth doing it myself. My oil life ends up around 50% at 5000 miles.
  • I've done all the oil changes on my '02 Denali. My change oil light usually goes on around 5000 miles. I've only used Mobil 1 5W-30 and an AC Delco filter. I bought ramps rated to hold heavier vehicles. I've found the filter and drain plug very easy to access.
  • 2001 Denali
    My oil light comes on around 4000 to 4500 miles. Been using Mobile 1.

Lot's of in town driving. 25 to 35 MPH. Lately, been using only "3" instead of "O". MPG went from 11.5 to 15.
    "3" and "0" ? Are we talking 3rd gear as opposed to drive? Anything that helps mileage is worth knowing. I have heard Mobil 1 helps and a K&n filter helps as well. My mileage has dropped this week for some reason. I'm thinking Missouri has switched over to the less potent winter blend. I usually can keep it near 17 mpg if the hiway driving outweighs the city driving. Maybe thats all I'm going to get. She sure likes to ping after shut down, I kind of like it. The wife's SLT with the 5.3 does not ping, but the Denali sounds so much meaner at idle... like a cabin cruiser...enjoy, all!
  • I did mean 3rd reather than Drive/OverDrive.
    I've also been using Amoco 89 octane.