Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• It is not that I (speaking for myself) don’t know where the air-to-oil tranny cooler “SHOULD” be located. I am stating that my option list (in the glove box) shows “RPO-KNP” otherwise known as air-to-oil tranny cooler; however, in my visual inspection it does not exist. For the record, the only place I have NOT looked for the cooler is up in the area where the spare tire is stored. Should it be there…unless there is a design needed to keep the spare from over heating…I don’t think so.

Therefore…I ask…How many people on the board have 2004 Denali (shorty) with RPO-KNP in their glove box yet have no cooler. By the way, I had my salesman (all the time him bragging that he knows everything about Yukons) show me that the A/C condenser is the tranny cooler. Idiot.

Thanks for your help!
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    may be built into the radiator. Compare a 1500 std vehicle radiator to a Denali and look for extra tubes running into the Denali radiator.
  • lobsenza, not sure what you are getting at. Supposedly (according to the brochure that I read) BOTH Yukon and Denali have the tranny cooler as standard.

FWIW, the aftermarket (maybe B & M Transmissions) sells not only super duty tranny coolers but nice external, spin on tranny filter kits. I think if one were to pull a horse trailer or a large boat regularly this would be worth adding on. If just $150 worth of a filter kit and filter changes prolonged the tranny life by 15K that would be well worth it. (And you probably would no longer own it at that point.)
    I get mixed up. The engine oil cooler or trans cooler is part of the radiator. It is on the Denali and 2500 series. Look at the radiators and you will see a difference (at least there was one when I bought in 2001).
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    Can come built a couple of ways. If designed in the mfr will take advantage of the coolant radiator by running the tranny lines into a separate section taking advantage of the existing radiator fins etc... They can also "add it" by placing a second (smaller) radiator usually in front of the coolant radiator. The ones who integrate them usually expect that their rigs will be used for a lot of towing etc. so in the long run its cheaper to integrate with the coolant radiator.
    I've had both styles.
    Rigs often have both tranny and oil coolers integrated into the single radiator.
  • Can I get some help understanding the concept of deleting the "Locking Rear End" and replacing with "Stabilitrac". Why can the vehicle have both. The way I see it, they serve two different functions! Yes?

Thanks!
  • I'm interpreting your comment to mean 'why not have both a locking differential and stabilitrac'?. In theory, Stabilitrac performs the same function as the locking differential by controlling torque distribution to the wheel with traction. This is the same purpose a limited/locking differential serves, so having both would duplicate this effort and add an unnecessary expense.
    will help in any kind of slide situation, not just from a stop. I tested a car on a wet closed track with a stability control system. First with it in and then with it off. It is unbelievable how much stability control helps. It clearly can assist in avoiding accidents.
  • I just compared Edmunds TMV on a used 2002 Denali and a 2002 Yukon SLT. Wow! There is a 6K spread which is close to the maybe 8K-9K spread between a typical 2004 SLT and a Denali when new.

If my quick look at Edmunds TMV is correct, it looks like the Denali holds its value well and the used market isn't valuing it as a tarted up Tahoe/Yukon. Or, am I preaching to the choir?
  • When I traded my 2001 Denali for the 2003 Denali, I got money back on the trade. Getting money back from a dealer trade is something that frankly, I had not expected. (In fact, the truck was pre-sold - the dealer called me to enquire if I could bring in the 2001 before the scheduled date that the 2003 would be ready. Go figure....) It would seem that the Denali does in fact hold its value.
  • huma1huma1 Posts: 5
    hi all, its helpful reading the posts on this board. i am thinking of buying a 2001 denali with 36k on it for $30,000 edmunds says it is worth 32,500 from a dealer. its in great shape has 2 tvs and i spoke to the previous owner who said it was a great car no problems with it. i am buying it from a dealer. how do the numbers sound, any advice , t should i get the extended warranty, how do they hold up over time? thanks in advance for the help
    The newer SUVs have an additional position on the headlight switch that my 2001 does not have. What is it for?
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    Price is very reasonable. I sold my 2001 for $32k with 40k miles.
  • csi35csi35 Posts: 28
    Go to www.gmfleet.com and pick your vehicle and year. Then click on view online order guide and then select New for 200X.
  • Take a look at the 2004 Edmunds TMV for Denali, Tahoe, Yukon, and E B Expy. Edmunds presents data based on actual retail transactions that adjusts the TMV by body color. Sure, we all know that green cars have a lower resale, but Edmunds puts a number on it and says that even when new a Denali in green is worth $128 less (than what?)and a Tahoe/Yukon in green is worth about $25 less.

Now here is where it gets interesting. A silver Denali is worth $120 less while a silver Tahoe/Yukon is worth about $20 more. What, the presumably lower income Tahoe/Yukon buyers like silver more? In black it is reversed: a black Denali is worth $44 more and a black Tahoe/Yukon is worth $40 less. The Eddie Bauer Expy color-adjusted transactional prices track better with the Tahoe/Yukon than the Denali. This probably isn't a surprise because the sale prices are similar and presumably the buyer's income, education, etc.

While numbers usually don't lie, I see a lot of silver cars in rental fleets and those guys buy with resale in mind.
  • There is no true "silver" offered on the Denali. Yes, I know "Quicksilver" was added in '04, but it is more pewter than gray. In fact, this is what replaced the pewter metallic offered in previous years. A possible explanation is that a "silver" Denali is worth less because it was re-painted.
  • They tend to generalize the colors (Toreador Red and the bright Red, quite different colors on Ford pickups, just became "Red" in the ratings), so I would guess that anything silverish to gray becomes "silver." If they didn't, then the ratings would be useless from the endless categories of colors and color names as manufacturers monkey with the available choices.

BTW, are you an Ivy League Filipino? Just curious as my wife is from Mindanao (thus the flag choice).
  • cornellpinoy, yes, in 04 Denali is available in "Silver Birch Metallic" which to my eyes is as silver as silver gets.

I"m suprised though that no one commented that the (presumably) lower income Tahoe/Yukon/Expy buyers preferred the silver not the black, red and not the white compared to the Denali buyers. There's got to be a Master's Thesis is these data for someone.
  • 4burb4burb Posts: 55
    Cornellpinoy,
    I agree, the new SBM color GM has is almost just as pewter as last years.
    Blockislandguy,
    Not trying to start an argument, to each their own but why would you say that buyers of the Tahoe/Yukon/Expy make less income (presumably)? Maybe they just have other things they would rather spend it on...like whatever they tow or the place next to the lake or in the mountains they tow it to. Just curious. By the way, I choose a 4WD Burb w/locking diff over the Denali. My uncle has the Denali XL in the family.
  • 4burb asks the right question. You cannot assume much about economic status by the vehicles folks drive. Think about how many luxury cars sit in apartment complex lots.

Some people, like myself, might value a home over vehicles (we put more of our available money into our home and have so far lived with only one vehicle for our 4-person family - 2 drivers).

My neighbor owns a maybe $300,000 home (this is Texas so the value is really good!) and has probably $120,000+ in original-cost vehicles for his 3-person household (3 vehicles for 2 drivers).

You will find some very wise investment folks with resources way beyond what I will ever accumulate who drive 10-year-old cars because they aren't unduly influenced by status vehicles' allures.

I would also hazard a guess that far too many people are "upside down" in their vehicles perhaps in foolishly trying to drive beyond their means.

It all makes me remember what Mom said the word "assume" breaks down into.... ;-)