Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• mbclk430mbclk430 Posts: 58
    Why not buy a sports car? A 1/2 second faster.......come on....I'll keep my DXL (and my AWD). I'm curious, how many things can YOU do in .5 seconds?
  • munchomuncho Posts: 14
    Regarding your sports car comment, all cars are compromises between performance, space, mileage etc. I just think the 0-60 comparison is interesting information and ought to be public knowledge, in light of all the talk of better performance of the Denali.

The 0-60 data shows that GM put the 6.0 in the Denali not to make it a muscle SUV, but to compensate for the power drain of the AWD. Buyers need to dig through the GMC marketing hype and realize they are not buying a faster or more powerful SUV in the Denali. The engine is more powerful, but it does not translate to more power to the tires, at least in a 0-60 comparison. Obviously fuel economy suffers too. If what you really care about most is AWD, and you are willing to pay $5,000 extra for it versus Auto 4WD in a YXL with autoride, then the Denali is a good choice for you.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    I have seen a LCD tv screen that goes into the console. The thing is called a Convert-A-Console, made by Steel Horse. It replaces the factory console door with one that has a fold down screen in it. When not in use it spins around and drops into the door making it look factory for security reasons, this would solve your dilemma for the front, because of the overhead controls and sunroof. Price was $589 with VCP, if you wanted a TV tuner it was more. As far as the 3rd row seats go a drop down unit would work good there, and should be a pretty standard install. The console screen I saw was in a performance products catalog, no listing for Denali/XL but when I called to check on it they said it should be available by fall. The company is working on a door for the Denali/XL, because it is different from the Yukon/XL. Try these places.

http://www.newsales.com/tvconsole/convert_a_console_tv_console.htm

http://www.performanceproducts.com

http://www.stylinconcepts.com

Good Luck

• larry91larry91 Posts: 189
    Munch, I can understand what u are feeling re the extra horsepower not being put to the ground, but there is even a more important aspect, NEITHER vehicle is a dragster, nor do I think u will find the drivers of these vehicles racing each other from the stoplite. I bought the DXL because I liked the concept of AWD and felt it was the better choice for me. I had a 99 Tahoe LT 4 x 4 and loved it. However, i did notice when accelerating on snow with the 4 x 4 system, there was some slippage until the computer sensed the slip and completed the lockup. Certainly not a big deal by any means, but i felt the AWD was the more positive system, and it got rave reviews in its tests.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Posts: 462
    jgmilberg: thanks for the info on the LCD and web sites. I'll be checking to see when they have the LCD that works with the DXL console.
  • dapetrundapetrun Posts: 15
    To Heatwave3: You might want to check out www.partsexpress.com. They have quite a selection of monitors and tuners and appear to have a higher quality of hardware than some of the other sites I've viewed. I've posted this a few weeks ago but someone removed my post. I guess they thought I was advertising my own site. I'm not affiliated, just thought all would appreciate the info. You've certainly provided enough info for the rest of us!
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,537
    You would ordinarily get an email if one of your posts was deleted. We lost a bunch of posts on Fri. 13 due to a database crash and sometimes posts get "lost" when the server resets (or so I understand--who knows why?). Apologies.

In-vehicle TV/VCP Combos is another thread along these lines.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    the slab of coffee getting into the 'puter.
  • efsavageefsavage Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a denali in the next few months, but wanted to see if there were any details known about next years model, and if I should wait or not. I heard a rumor that GMC was adding a third set of suicide doors, but this seems unlikely. Any info/pics would be greatly appreciated.
    dapetrun: thanks for the web site on monitors. Much appreciated along with the feedback on info supplied in the past.I followed this site and other sites for about a year before posting which helped me in making my purchase of a 2001 Denali XL. Just trying to return the good deed of others before me.
  • drb2002drb2002 Posts: 72
    Muncho, I was wondering where you got the numbers for the Yukon XL? You stated the following:

"I got the Denali XL figures from http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/2000/November/200011_preview_gmc_yukon.xml"

This article states:

"They also seem to be more respectable in the 0-to-60 department -- 8.7 seconds for the Denali, 9.2 for its bigger brother, according to GMC."

So where is the data for the "regular" Yukon XL? Funny how the eyes can play tricks on us when we want to see something else. I f anyone else has data comparing the 53.L XL to the 6.0L DXL, I am interested.

Dave

• Munch, I had the same information when I was debating the extra $ for the Denali. The 0-60 is the same or faster in the YXL. However, it wasn't until I had a chance to hook my 5,000lb. boat to the hitch of both and climb a hill, was the difference evident: Torque. The heavier transmission in the Denali and larger brakes for stopping with a load could only be compared to the 3/4 ton YXL.

Since this is also a daily driver for me (and others), comfort was of utmost concern. The 3/4 ton cannot be had with the autoride. If towing is not of concern and quick starts is a priority, the 5.3 YXL would be a more economical choice.

And, try to shift into 4-wheel once the two rear wheels have spun on a gravel boat ramp with a boat and trailer attached. Advantage AWD.

Everyone must evaluate their own needs before deciding if it is worth the extra for the Deanli. 0-60 unloaded is just one factor.
    I am looking at all the different brake controllers out on the market, and I was looking for some experienced users of the Hayes Lemmerz Micro Control unit. It has been replaced by the Energize XPC, and they can both be used with a remote push button control.

I want a brake controller that can be mounted "way" out of the way, and then mount a small remote trigger somewhere convenient.

I would appreciate any opinions from someone who has shopped around, or users of the above mentioned unit.

Thanks, Dave
    I found my receipt. I purchased the emblem from Hunter's Custom Automotive INC. in Nashville..........tle# 1-800-251-3548.......price delivered: $62.79.
  • cjwellscjwells Posts: 20
    My wife and I are interested in any info on the 2002 Yukon Denali. Like what new option packages, paint colors, etc. We came close to ordering the 2002 Envoy. Needless to say we are glad we did not order one. Depending on how well GM does with this recall and with satisfying the customers, will determine if we are still interested in a GM product at all. Thanks for any info on this matter.
    Does anybody know if the "Wood Trim" on the dash of the Denali is real wood or just plastic? When i purchased mine, the salesman told me it was wood, I have my doubts, i think it's plastic. Can anyone help me out on this one?
    Also, does anyone know of an aftermarket sunroof from this manufacturer, Webasco Hollandia? How does it compare to the ASC roof?
    Thanks
  • jkpsarasjkpsaras Posts: 29
    My 2001 Denali came with 42psi in the tires (and with a Firestone spare.) Dealer said this is to reduce bouncing during shipment. I'm now trying 34psi front and 30psi rear. What have others tried?

Is is possible that only the standard 16" wheel will fit under the vehicle?
  • I had a rosen system installed in my rig w/ a sunroof. the rosen screen flips down with its hing side near the sunroof. this way it's not too far back so the 2nd row passengers can see it well. the 3rd row also has a good view. the system comes coomplete w/ screen, vcp w/ additional input for games, tv tuner & antenna, 2 sets wireless headphones, wireless remote. it was a little more costly $1895 installed. but it's great!
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    Did you gat the sunroof from the factory, or aftermarket? Factory does not have rear a/c & heat controls rear of the sunroof. Heatwave's is aftermarket and is from ASC, so he has the rear a/c pod behind the sunroof, and that would push his video equipment back closer to the 2nd row passengers.

How big is the screen on the system you bought?
  • fellersfellers Posts: 18
    MBCLK430,

When you installed your Billet emblem, did you pop off the plastic radiator cover? Also, did you install any rubber bushings so as not to scratch the beautiful grill? I ordered the emblem and have not installed yet. Just wondering...
    Safe 1 or others,

Any resolution from the dealer on this issue? I have a 2001 Yukon XL Denali and while the 4 corners have the 17" Michelin, the Spare is the 16" Firestone. Seems like a joke and will cost me money when I replace the tires as I usually take the Spare and only buy 3 tires. Not to mention if I have a flat, the inconvenienc of one tire at 16" and the others at 17".
    Jjorensen:

Did I infer correctly that you have more than one skid plate on your Denali? If so, where did you get them and where do you have them installed? Are their mounting holes in place? I have always had skid plates on my SUV's but it was not offered on the Denali? Thanks.
    Ok, too many of you guys don't know how to calculate tire height... So here is the lesson (again).

2x(sidewall height) + rim diameter = tire diameter

Michelin P265/70R17
    2(26.5cm x 0.70) + 17in x 2.54cm/in = 80.28cm

Firestone P265/75R16
    2(26.5cm x 0.75) + 16in x 2.54cm/in = 80.39cm

Therefore the spare is 0.11cm (0.0433in)taller than your Denali Wheel and Michelin tire!

Ok, you are out the price of 1 tire to rotate into the others. Hey how did you afford the vehicle in the first place. Long story short, it will be hard to convince the dealer that the spare is the "wrong" size.

Dave
  • jorgensenjorgensen Posts: 5
    My Denali came with a skid plate which covered the front half of the transmission and oil pan, I added the second skid plate to cover the back of the tranmission. I have some fairly treachous rocky inclines to get thur on my cattle ranch and didn"t want to lose the casing on rocks. My dealer ordered and installed the plate around $125 total. The AWD performs great offroad. I don't think the firestone spare is that big of a deal, but I would have been happyer with tires that matched. I do some pretty heavy towing, can anyone tell me if you can damage the vehical under a heavy load if you have to use the spare? An eariler posting calculated the rotation differences and It didn't appear to agree with Daves figures, but I'm no engineer.
  • safe1safe1 Posts: 16
    fellers:

I'm still awaiting a build date for my Denali so I'll wait and see if the spare is indeed a Firestone. However, in a recently discussion with my dealer rep on this topic, he did indicate that "something" could be worked out if so equipped. Sounds promising but.... Will post when the truck is delivered.
    No, I didn't pop off the radiator cover, nor did I use rubber bushings. The emblem comes with four double ended screws, four metal wahsers,and four locking nuts. If you look closely at the emblem housing you'll notice that there is a black plastic casing (the casing is mounted on the grill, the emblem is mounted on the casing). When I received the emblem in the mail I didn't think it would fit, but it did. It took about 10 minutes to install. Good luck!
  • lambdaprolambdapro Posts: 51
    Be careful with a 2001 Denali if you are taking four friends and towing. The Denali only has a 933 pound payload. This explains why it can't have a front bench seat or a third seat. Plus, it can't tow a medium motor boat and seat five full size adults without overloading the vehicle. Wait for the 2002 Denali. If it is like the Cadillac Escalade, it will be improved up to a more reasonable 1450 pound payload. For comparison purposes, a 4WD Yukon SLT would have a better 1680 pound payload.
    Not sure where lambdapro is getting his info but the GMC site has the 2001 Denali and Denali XL with a 1510lb payload.
  • lambdaprolambdapro Posts: 51
    Here is the link that I used for the information.
    www.associatesfleet.com/2001guide-util.pdf
    But I agree with heatwave3 that this site must have bad information. It must have been for an older model. The current ratings are as heatwave3 states.
    Does anybody know if the "Wood Trim" on the Denali is plastic or real wood. My salesman told me it was wood, I have my doubts. I don't think he would lie about that, but i do believe he was misinformed.
    Also, sunroofs, ASC vs Webasto Hollandia, any of you know about these roofs and quality of each.
    Thanks