Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• larry91larry91 Posts: 189
    I hope i can get this posted, there is or was something wrong with the site. I kept on getting sent back to the town hall welcome page when i hit the post my message button.

I agree with you on the JUNK Delco battery, but what led you to buy the Optima over the Sears Diehard? I had a 99 Tahoe with the same problem. The battery failed right after the warranty ran out.

I wonder if GM will ever get it right?? My guess is NO
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    We had some server problems earlier in the day - sorry about that!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Just replaced our 01 XL battery as it just started leaking. Coincidentally, just like our '94 Suburban, the battery problem surfaced on a Sunday. I was so disappointed because I had to get a Sears Diehard over a Delco because Sears was open on Sunday but the dealer was not. On Monday, I took the receipt and old Delco to GMC and 2 weeks later I had a check reimbursing me for the Diehard. Conveniently, I dumped the bad Delco without replacing it with a Delco and without having to pay for the swap myself.
    Good work.

I absolutely cannot understand why, when GM has battery problems for what appears to be years, they can't get it fixed??? It's really frustrating. I would suggest New Suppliers in certain areas. But of course, who are we?
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    I would not use a Die Hard battery if you gave me one!!! I had to replace mine 4 times in the same year before getting a good one that only lasted 3 years, it was a 80 month battery!!! I paid $85 for that pain in the rump, and got nothing but problems out of Sears every time I went back to get ANOTHER new battery. I understand that Sears got in big trouble and is being sued in a class action suit for selling old bad batteries that were cleaned up and painted, then sold as new. I WILL NEVER use Die Easy batteries again. For me it's Optima or DuraLast from Auto Zone ONLY, I have not had one lick of trouble out of either and nothing leaks or shorted out, they just keep on starting the trucks. My friend was being lazy and went to sears for a battery because he didn't want to change it himself, he to had problems with it and had to spend over $100 to find out it was the a battery because he could not believe his Die Easy was bad only 3 months after he bought it! If memory serves Sears gets their batteries from Exide which also supplies AC Delco with batteries, so take it for what it's worth.
    Okay, got the message, Thanks
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    Only a few companies actually produce auto batteries. The rest are just a label change. Next time you are at the parts store look at the different brands - same battery - different name.

I am not sure who produces the Die Hard for Sears - my guess is who ever meets the spec and has the lowest price. The same is true for tires -and many other products.

I also just read that GM and Ford are planning to develop a new 5 speed automatic tranny. Who woulld have every thought GM and Ford working together to save each other $. The article claimed it would save over $300,000,000.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    It is a speed auto tranny for front wheel drive cars....
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    I think it was for full size SUV and light duty trucks. Since GM is further along in the development they plan to use the GM design. Ford will pay a % of the cost and then "buy" the number they need from GM.

This is not new for GM - they partner with many other companies - they already for example provide a tranny to BMW that is used in the 5 series.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    I recently changed out the Michelin tires on my 2001 Denali for some slightly more aggressive SUV tires. The construction is similar(number of belts and plies...) but I have noticed that the ride is a bit more harsh. It seems like the autoride may have been tuned to the Michelins. I thought it may recalibrate or self-adjust after a few miles or drives.
    Has anyone else done same and noticed any change in the ride?
    Aggressive tread tires will effect ride quality and noise. They are better in off road situations. The only way to fix the problem is to change the tires again. My current plan is to replace my Cross Terrains with H speed rated Crross Terrains. How many miles did you get from the tires?
    I actually changed them at about 28k. There is still good life left on them but I wanted tires with better winter driving capability. The Cross Terrains were not very effective in snow/slush/ice last year. I travel in the NW to Idaho and Montana several times a year and need something that will keep me on the road better. I saw an article where they drove a Denali for over a year. Based on their estimation they felt the Michelin's would run up to 80k.
    The ride is still better than my 1999 Sierra PU but I did notice it changed after the tire swap and was curious.
  • 1k miles on my 02 Denali and noticed a fluid leak from the front end. Dealership said it was the front differential vent (did not specify it was the vent or vent hose) causing the problem. Fixed under warranty. Dealership said this was a common problem. Anyone else experience this?
  • wam5wam5 Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 Denali XL with a second row bench seat. Every time I put my seats back in the upright position after having had them down, the mechanism malfunctions on the passenger-side sliding seat that allows access to the third row. It won't slide forward. I've had the dealer fix it four times but all they do is somehow hook the mechanism back up and complain about the poor engineering. They have yet to give me a long term fix. Has anyone had this issue or know a fix?
    The only problem I had was the seat getting caught on the catch all mats when it slid forward. The way I solved the problem was to put a piece of metal under both front edges of the sliding portion that covers the edge of the mat. Now the seat slides without a problem.
  • Is there anyway to make the front passenger seat fully recline to a position that is close to flat? Girlfriend is complaining on long trips!
  • Hi...I purchased my Denali back in December 02 and it intermittently stalls when I put it in Park. The dealer could not find anything wrong. Any ideas? By the way, it has a dealer installed remote start...could this be the culprit?

Thanks
    Does the idle ever fluctuate? If it does it probably needs a new throttle body.
    If it intermittently stalls when putting it in park, you might want to have the shop check the transmission electronics. I believe that there is a stall/lockout feature to prevent inadvertent shifting from drive to reverse...there may be a intermittent contact and false signal being generated. If the issue is predictable they can hook up the umbilical and see what kind of codes are being generated when it happens.
  • I noticed my rear view mirror flashing "ice" the other day (argggg winter is already here). What triggers this warning and is it only a warning or does something mechanical occur as well?
  • Thanks for your feedback. I will bring these up to the dealer once it reoccurs.
    The ICE warning on the mirror is there to flag the driver that temperature and conditions are such that ice may have or could form on the road surface. It's a warning so the driver can switch off the cruise control, check handling/braking on the surface and not be surprised. It doesn't do anything electronically or mechanically.
    I got it a lot last winter in my travels.
  • jammon1jammon1 Posts: 28
    I have had the Magnacharger installed now for about a month. I have had plenty of time to see how it works under many situations. It works very well! I have spent a little time testing the 0-60 times using a G-Tec device. The baseline times that I got just prior to the installation were right around 8 seconds. Some just over and a few just under 8 seconds. With the supercharger installed I ran a 6.8, and several just over 7 seconds. I also go a chance to do a "top" speed run on a trip a couple of weeks ago. On a straight, flat highway in the morning hours I had the speedometer pegged. After the run I checked the "Last 15 Day" vehicle history and it indicated 123 MPH. I was approaching a curve and did not want to hold it through the curve not knowing who I might meet. Perhaps next summer, somewhere in Montana I might get a chance to see if it will keep going beyond the 123.
  • This is on a 2003 Denali with 1483 miles on it. 1. Battery completely dead, replaced alternator. 2. Same problem, this time replaced battery, they also checked with GM tech center, there response was that the On Star was trying to reset it self, GPS, did a reset program. 3. Same problem, DEAD BATTERY, this time let the dealer have until repaired. Does anyone have a clue to what is going on. The Denali worked ok until I left for our winter residence here at South Padre Island, Texas, vehical may sit for a day or two between trips. Also the first oem battery did not show a green ball in the sight port, the replacement showed green, until it went dead this morning, I don't think a alternator circuitry has the ability to charge a dead battery, should be placed on a charger to bring it to a fully charge state before using it. Any help will appreciated.
  • I had the same problem. They replaced the OnStar system, took 10 days. But after that everything has been fine.
  • y2kgtsy2kgts Posts: 48
    Well, my beautiful 2002 Denali XL, which I picked up on July 6th of this year, is a hurtin' unit:

A gentleman (and I use that term loosely) made an illegal left turn directly in front of me from a stop sign (I was going 40-45 in a 45 mph zone with no traffic controls). I T-boned his Toyota Land Cruiser and popped his windows and crushed his doors. He wasn't injured and I got a VERY sore neck (currently being treated for it). What is really strange is the airbags on the Denali did NOT deploy. Everybody at the scene (cops, ambulance, & tow service) couldn't believe it. The seat belt got stretched and locked into place (permanently - it did not retract after that). Thank God my kids weren't with me, having literally dropped them off at school not five minutes beforehand.

So, now it is the hands of State Farm and we will see what happens. I really don't want my new car returned to me with extensive repairs, especially as it wasn't my fault (he was ticketed). I am also a little leary that the airbags didn't go off (it was a head-on collision from my end). Hopefully I can get into a replacement Denali, as we really love the truck. I will also have to see if I can swap out the video system, assuming it still works (haven't checked it). First things first, we need to see what the insurance says. Sigh...

Chris

ouch! - I bet you're going to be sore the next few days. A trip to the doc wouldn't be a bad idea at all imho.

If you think there may be an issue with the bags not deploying, you may want to make sure the wreck is secured so the "evidence" doesn't walk away (looks like it's at the dealer?). Stranger things have happened.

Pretty amazing how shiny it looks even after all that.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• y2kgtsy2kgts Posts: 48
    Actually, the wreck was about ten days ago and I have been to the doctor twice. Says I "rotated" the vertebrae in my neck. Taking anti-inflammatory pills and muscle relaxants. Fun!

The car is currently at the selling GMC dealership, but the body shop has already been a pain to deal with ("Airbags didn't deploy? Huh, how about that.") It is being flatbedded to a different GM dealership tomorrow morning that supposedly is more in tune with these types of damages. We shall see.

As to that shine, the car actually hadn't been washed in probably three weeks. I use the same stuff on the Denali that I use on show cars: Zaino polish (not a wax) every six months or so, then a California duster and Zaino spray to keep it clean. Takes less then five minutes to make it look like that every day - and that is a black car. Most people think it is a bear to keep clean, but it is pretty easy if you know what to do. And no, I did not dust it off after the wreck! (grin)

Chris
    Pretty good testimony for Zaino!

Hope you get feeling back to snuff soon.

Steve, Host

• I thought the ON STAR turned off with the ignition switch and if that is not the case, why did GM say it had to be re-configured when a battery is replaced. Does anyone have any info on what is going on, my 2000 XL with ON STAR, I only had to set it up once at the purchase time. HELP.