Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• vader6vader6 Posts: 27
    Went to a GMC dealership today and test drove two 03 Denalis. Disappointed that GM deleted the top compartment in the center console, the engine light (must have saved them at least $2.00), the 15 days driving history, and the Denali embroidering on the front doors (this added class).

They did however added adjustable petals, remote folding mirrors, chevron signal mirrors (Muth), somewhat better gas millage, xm radio, a single CD slot, and digital temperature controls.

The white Denali handled very nice but steering wheel was not centered. Wheel alignment would correct this. Driver door took extra effort to close.

Silver Denali was stiff in handling and from somewhere there came a squeak.

I think I'll just keep my 02 and for $300 have Muth signal mirrors installed.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    Sould tell you the exact engine oil life percentage left on the 03. This is much more useful since I would change the oil with about 35% of the life remaining. I now change the oil on my 01 every 3,000 miles and find the oil life indicater pretty useless. GM should take a lesson from Ford and allow the oil life to be reduced at the start of an oil change so it will trigger more frequent oil chagea for heavier use service.
  • Just exactly the sort of thing I suspected. Thank you. I just wanted confirmation that it isn't likely to be a serious condition warranting immediate action....
    I was getting 11.8 MPG on my 02 Denali highway driving at 65 MPH.

After having every sensor replaced, new battery, J5560 Regulator and fuel pressure replaced, and 17113678 Reg Kit installed I am now getting 14.9 MPG at 65 MPH.

I wonder if they used 03 parts as the 03 model highway is listed as 15 MPG.
  • vader6:

Are your mileage figures according to the DIC or actual calculations from fill-up and mileage data? I realize there might be some differences, but our '02 Denali averages between 14-16 mpg in mixed driving and gets a consistent 16-18 highway, going by the DIC figures. I know that the mileage reported by the DIC isn't necessarily the most accurate figure, but my sense, based on the fact that we routinely go over 300 miles between fill-ups, is that the truck is consistently getting around 14 mpg or a bit better.

Right now the mileage figure according to the DIC is 14.6 mpg averaged over several thousand miles (can't remember when I reset it, but it was quite some time ago). I am planning an extended trip over Thanksgiving--I'll actually compute the mileage then.

Anyone else have any info on mileage he or she'd like to share?
    Both figures are based on the DIC. Both were using cruise control set at 65 MPH ,before and after the sensor upgrade. My city figures are around 10. This vehicle was not made for city driving. Highway driving is where this vehicle shines.
  • For what it is worth, with an '01 Denali (not the XL), I am getting 12 mpg in "city" driving and 17-18 mpg at 65 on the highway. If I go extra-legal on the highway, the mileage drops to 16. My own opinion, but this is rather amazing for a 6.0 liter engine in a 5,500 lb vehicle. The result is similar whether I calculate the miles per tankful or go from the DIC miles to empty display.

My previous SUV was a Land Rover with a 4.0 liter engine and approximately 1,000 lbs less weight, and the best that the L-R could do was 14 mpg on the highway. (And the transfer case was in High.)

Regarding engine oil, I am using Mobil One 5W-30. I imagine that the mileage would drop if I switched to 10W-30; however, I am too happy with the present mileage to bother to test the effect of the change. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it....)
  • So would you guys agree, then, that the mileage reported by the DIC is pretty close to the "true" mileage? This seems to be the case to me. I have read posters on other boards complaining about the inaccuracy of their vehicles' system-generated mileage figures, a complaint I haven't seen with the Denali.

I agree that it is pretty amazing to get this sort of mileage out of a vehicle with the size and power of a Denali. My 3.5L 96 Dodge Intrepid only gets about 18 mpg in driving around town and a bit over 20 on the highway.
    I just recently had the throttle body on my Denali XL replaced because of a surging idle. Not only did the replacement solve the surging idle problem, but the highway fuel economy improved dramatically (13.5 to 16.5 or better MPG). I will get a better idea of the highway economy on our next trip.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    I have consistently gotten 16-19mpg highway calculated miles divided by gas used. The worst mileage I got was on the first 2-3 tanks until the rig was broken in some. I noticed on the longer runs the computer was pretty close to actual on the gas used and mileage.
    (Hey and this big rig gives better mileage, performance and handling than my 68' Dodge HP Mopar ever did)
    I recently had the shop do a 30k service; they cleaned the fuel injectors as well as replacing the fuel filter. I did notice a bit more spritely acceleration and smoother running. (I can't say if mileage was affected as the Denali is in the body shop recovering from a hit & run while we were traveling, I'll update if it changes significantly)
  • larry91larry91 Posts: 189
    cleaner on a regular basis. I recently read an article espousing( big word ) its regular use. It did caution about buying the "LOW" price product as not being as through a cleaner.

I own a 2001 Denali XL. Aside from the first few months of ownership, i have not had any problems. My Bose radio was replaced three times before i got one that worked, some trim fell off the door panels, and the door panel cracked, requiring replacement. I now have 22500 miles on the vehicle and the battery was replaced, it leaked all over my driveway. Funny tho, it continued to operate properly and showed it was charging. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Larry
  • The basic issue regarding fuel injector cleaner additives is that there is a tendency for carbon deposits to build up on the intake valves. At some point, the engine will experience stalling on cold starts. Since the Denali will use 87 octane gas (if there has not been any modification made to increase performance), there is a greater chance that carbon deposits will build up sooner because 87 octane gas generally does not have any detergent added to it. The reason for using a fuel injector cleaner additive is really to reduce the buildup of carbon deposits on the intake valves; cleaner injectors are a side benefit.

The solution to the carbon deposit problem generally falls into one of the following categories: 1. Run a tank of high-detergent gas (such as Chevron Premium) every month; 2. Run 87 octane gas and wait until you experience stalling on cold start and then take the vehicle in for a "de-carbonization" treatment, with the associated expense and hassle/inconvenience; 3. Add a container of fuel injector cleaner each time you fill up. I have taken a slightly different approach - each time I fill up, I use the Chevron mid-grade gas. I have been able to run 24,000+ miles this way and not have to do a de-carbonization treatment. My first and only experience with carbon buildup required a de-carbonization treatment at 11,000 miles (and at the time, I was using Shell Premium); so I am knocking on wood to see if I can avoid the de-carbonization treatment expense.
  • Do you recall whether right after the accident you had a bruise that was about the width of the seat/shoulder belt that ran from your top left shoulder down to the lower right hip? The bruise is caused by the impact - at higher energy forces (e.g. higher speed of impact), the bruise will be more noticeable. I know from personal experieince. (I was in a head-on collision that caused the airbags to deploy; the Highway Patrol officer that responded to my accident told me to get a doctors examination ASAP. Within 2 hours of the accident, the bruise started to appear.) If you did not have the bruise, then it is very likely that your speed at impact was below the threshold that would set off the airbags (approximately 10 mph).

Regarding getting back to where you were before the accident, that may never happen. (Again, I have personal history in this regard....) It should be reasonable that the other driver (especially since the question of fault seems to be resolved by the ticket that was issued) or the insurance company for the driver should pay for the accident. I do not know where you live, but it sounds like you should start looking into getting an attorney involved. They typically work on contingency in these cases, so there should be no cost to you. The personal injury attorneys typically advertise in the yellow pages. You may need to visit a few to find one who you can work best with to get a resolution of your case. When you meet with the attorneys, be sure to ask for references of clients who they have represented and call the references.

Unfortunately, accidents (especially ones where you are not at fault) are a pain (both literally and figuratively).
    did you have the carbon deposits if you were using Shell Premium? I have been using Shell regular and luckily, have not had a problem, Yet.
    Thanks for the feedback,
    larry
  • The gasoline in the U.S. seems to have a high parafin content (according to a service bulletin that I was shown when I had my experience with carbon build-up). I had been using Shell premium from the day that I took delivery of the car and still, after 11,000 miles, had carbon build-up. The service bulletin suggested switching to Chevron premium due to Chevron premium having the highest detergent content of the gasoline sold in the U.S. I made the switch and for the remainder of the time that I owned the car, there were no more problems with carbon build-up (100,000 additional miles). I have stayed with Chevron thereafter in all other cars and trucks.

One aside regarding the detergent content of Chevron: the premium gas is specified by at least Ford and GM for all the gasoline-fueled vehicles that they submit to EPA for annual emission certification. This little item gets posted periodically at the service stations as a form of advertising (along with posters about the Chevron cars, soda specials if you sign up for a Chevron credit card, etc.).
    Thank you for the information..
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Was offered a 60/50k mile for $831.00 supposedly 100 over invoice, the list of UNCOVERED items is endless..... and i cant belive a 40k vehicle does not even get a loaner car,,,,, guess im spoiled by BMW. Anyone have any comments on the warranty ?

thanks,
    DL
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    http://www.joebasilchevrolet.com/major_guard.htm

"and i cant belive a 40k vehicle does not even get a loaner car"

I've had loaners both under the manufacturer's warranty and Major Guard so have no clue as to what you're talking about regarding loaners....

Received a brochure on a 03 Denali and there is a photo of the dash complete with a Navigation system above the temperature controls. Has anyone seen this in an 03 Denali?
    I ended up purchasing a Chrysler extended warranty on my 01 Denali. There were several reasons for this:
    1. The GM warranty was much more expensive than the Chrysler for comparable coverage.
    2. The Chrysler warranty had an option of a loaner car for the first day of the repair.
    3. Chrysler offered a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty and GM did not (this is the one I wanted). They also offered a $50 deductible which I felt was the best value deductible.
    I am very disappointed at the list of small things that are no longer on the 03 that were on the 01 or 02. My list so far is:

1. No power door lock switch by the liftgate.
    2. No keyhole on the liftgate.
    3. Removal of the Denali insignia from the doors.
    4. Change to the standard Yukon headrests rather than Denali specific.
    5. Elimination of the chrome bezel from the exhaust pipe.
    6. Elimination of the 2 way lid on the console.
    7. Elimination of the lighter jacks on the back of the console.
    8. Elimination of some driver information functionality (but some now things have been added)
    9. Elimination of the under hood light.

This coupled with the fact that many Denali only items are now available on the YXL. Now the only unique Denali items are:

1. 6 liter engine with all wheel drive on a half ton.
    2. Transmission temerature guage on a half ton.
    3. There may be an additoinal engine oil or transmission cooler on the Denali.
    4. Some unique interior/exterior trim.

On the flip side, the price difference is less than it used to be. If I were buying today, I would have to seriously compare a loaded YXL with a DXL.
    I have the Major Guard 6year/100k miles zero deductible. Didn't really care about the years as the mileage limit would be hit well before that. A rental car comes with any repair that has to remain at the dealer overnight. Don't know what you paid for yours but I'm sure mine was cheaper. ;-)

For an idea on the pricing:

http://www.joebasilchevrolet.com/major_guard.htm

course these prices can be negotiated.

I paid $1670 for a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty with 4 wheel drive and a $50 deductible. I doubt you paid less than that. I paid $220 additional so I could have a loaner car even when the car is in service for a few hours (as opposed to overnight).

A 3 year no deductible 100,000 mile plan would have cost $1400. The first day rental would only be $90 on this plan.
    Major Guard 6/100 $0 deductible; free loaner from first day included cost me exactly $0.00 courtesy of General Motors. And so far looks like it was worth every penny though not from my pocket. This deal was negotiated a year after I had purchased my vehicle and GM was more than happy to provide it at no charge.
    I am sure that was given to you because of some issues that you had with your vehicle and they gave it to you as good will.
    When the GM Buyback rep contacted my dealer and spoke to the service advisor, he was told that my RO file was over an inch and a half thick. The GM rep contacted the BBB and told them to ask me exactly what did I want........
    With all the deletions its my opinion that the 03 Denali is less desirable than the 02. I wonder how much GM saved on a $50,000+ vehicle.

Who needs remote contolled folding mirrors? Is adjustable foot pedals desirable? I don't think so.

How about a battery that doesn't leak.

Might as well go with the Yukon and save 10G.
    I agree, the only thing i really like is the full time AWD. It would be a nice touch if they offered a low range for the tranny like some of their European and Japanese counterparts.
    I think electric folding mirrors is a nice touch and a must have for a narrow garage. Movable pedals is definitely a plus. Like I said, there are plusses and minuses. I do think there is less of a differentiation to the standard model. There definitely not a $10,000 difference between a fully loaded Yukon and a Denali. The difference is probably closer to $1000-$1500 now. You get all wheel drive and a 6 liter engine along with a few cosmetic items for that difference. If you do not desire all of the equipment that is included in the Denali, than the difference gets much greater.
    Here's what I would like GMC to do for the 04 Denali:

Put back all the features that was deleted from the 02 , keep what they added for the 03 and add for the 04:

1. The ability to go from AWD to 2 WD . Better gas millage w/2 WD.
    2. Voice GSP navigation system.
    3. Backup sensor.
    4. Colored Liquid Crystal Display gages. (Toyota did this few years ago. Really looked nice.)
    5. Tire pressure sensors on all wheels. (Jeep has this now. You can read out tire pressure at any speed.)
    6. LCD 7" TV in back of each of the front head rest w/DVD player.(as an option).

That's all I can think of right now. Anybody else have anything to add for the 04?