Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• slcamtslcamt Posts: 37
    The best way to find the culprit is to hook up an amp meter in series with the battery with the key off. If there is a current draw at this time you can start pulling fuses until the current draw stops. I would start with the On-Star fuse. I wouldn't think that just because you have a new battery it's a good one. My last GM product had a new alternator and battery (after the first one exploded) and the little circle was still green. Yes the charge voltage is around 14 volts. If all else fails go to autozone and get a Duralast battery. They will install it for free if you want. The Delco batteries that come with the GMs are junk. The viu is basically the onstar unit. It tells the onstar operator what is going on with the car, unless of course the battery is dead. Good Luck
  • lobsenza ,
    Thanks for info on Extended Warranty.I had lost your e-mail address.You were most helpful to me in the past ,when I was trying to order a Yukon XL Denali.I will e-mail you direct.
    Jthompson22
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    My opinion on the warranty is:
    - good idea if you have 4WD, AWD or turbo/super charger
    - best way to avoid having a problem(yeah so I'm a bit superstitious)
    - A warranty at a discount is even better
    - If you are planning to keep the rig for 75k -100k or more miles get it.
    - One major repair will likely pay for the warranty

On the low end buzz for 1520 - could be a loose hanger bracket or even a broken baffle in the muffler. Have the dealer go through it at your next service.
    I did some questioning of the sales staff at my local GMC dealer and also looked at the updated GMC website...appears GM is getting a bit greedier.
    - Quadrasteer is std on the Denali Pickup but is an option on the Yukon Denali/DXL
    - Dealer was saying it was hard to get a Yukon D/DXL with the Quadrasteer.(maybe a shortage of hardware?)
    - Per the updates on the website several items that used to be standard are now options on the D/DXL even though the MSRP has increased to OVER $50k.

Disappointing, but maybe the 0% financing and rebates are catching up to them. Or maybe they think they can charge Lincoln type pricing for these rigs?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    I don't think quadrasteer is available on the Denali SUVs or, for that matter, any half ton SUV. The reason is simple. Quadrasteer has been designed for leaf spring rear suspension. It is currently only available on leaf spring rear suspension vehicles. I suspect GM will have it available on the coil spring rear suspension by the 2004 model year.
    lobsenza, you may have hit on the technical issue preventing the Denali/XL 1500 from having quadrasteer. The leaf vs. coil makes a huge difference to the rear hardware, clearances and directional torsion forces.
    I think confusion has arisen because GM does advertise it as "Available" on them, but no one can get it. The dealer I was at had 1 Denali Sierra pu with it and 2 HD 2500 Sierras with quadrasteer but all their other rigs were std. The sales folks definitely were not all on the same page.

thanks
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    a $4k option on the HD's?
    I believe it lists for around $3800. The auto rags have given it excellent reviews.

Quadrasteer may be listed because it may become available in late 03 on the 1500 series SUVs. My guess is it would be available first on the Denali XL and the long wheelbase Escalade.
  • Some dealers will sell extended warranties at cost. I bought a GM extended warranty for my Vette through a GM dealer at their cost. I dealt with a dealer in Montana, there may be others that sell at cost as well. Email me if you want more information.
    I found out that you get a refund on your extended warranty from GM when I traded my Grand Prix in on the Denali. I don't recall the exact price I paid, but I got most of it back.(I never used it). I don't know about the independents who offer extended warranties and if you get a refund if you sell/trade the vehicle.
  • vader6vader6 Posts: 27
    Went to a GMC dealership today and test drove two 03 Denalis. Disappointed that GM deleted the top compartment in the center console, the engine light (must have saved them at least $2.00), the 15 days driving history, and the Denali embroidering on the front doors (this added class).

They did however added adjustable petals, remote folding mirrors, chevron signal mirrors (Muth), somewhat better gas millage, xm radio, a single CD slot, and digital temperature controls.

The white Denali handled very nice but steering wheel was not centered. Wheel alignment would correct this. Driver door took extra effort to close.

Silver Denali was stiff in handling and from somewhere there came a squeak.

I think I'll just keep my 02 and for $300 have Muth signal mirrors installed.
    Sould tell you the exact engine oil life percentage left on the 03. This is much more useful since I would change the oil with about 35% of the life remaining. I now change the oil on my 01 every 3,000 miles and find the oil life indicater pretty useless. GM should take a lesson from Ford and allow the oil life to be reduced at the start of an oil change so it will trigger more frequent oil chagea for heavier use service.
  • Just exactly the sort of thing I suspected. Thank you. I just wanted confirmation that it isn't likely to be a serious condition warranting immediate action....
    I was getting 11.8 MPG on my 02 Denali highway driving at 65 MPH.

After having every sensor replaced, new battery, J5560 Regulator and fuel pressure replaced, and 17113678 Reg Kit installed I am now getting 14.9 MPG at 65 MPH.

I wonder if they used 03 parts as the 03 model highway is listed as 15 MPG.
  • vader6:

Are your mileage figures according to the DIC or actual calculations from fill-up and mileage data? I realize there might be some differences, but our '02 Denali averages between 14-16 mpg in mixed driving and gets a consistent 16-18 highway, going by the DIC figures. I know that the mileage reported by the DIC isn't necessarily the most accurate figure, but my sense, based on the fact that we routinely go over 300 miles between fill-ups, is that the truck is consistently getting around 14 mpg or a bit better.

Right now the mileage figure according to the DIC is 14.6 mpg averaged over several thousand miles (can't remember when I reset it, but it was quite some time ago). I am planning an extended trip over Thanksgiving--I'll actually compute the mileage then.

Anyone else have any info on mileage he or she'd like to share?
    Both figures are based on the DIC. Both were using cruise control set at 65 MPH ,before and after the sensor upgrade. My city figures are around 10. This vehicle was not made for city driving. Highway driving is where this vehicle shines.
  • For what it is worth, with an '01 Denali (not the XL), I am getting 12 mpg in "city" driving and 17-18 mpg at 65 on the highway. If I go extra-legal on the highway, the mileage drops to 16. My own opinion, but this is rather amazing for a 6.0 liter engine in a 5,500 lb vehicle. The result is similar whether I calculate the miles per tankful or go from the DIC miles to empty display.

My previous SUV was a Land Rover with a 4.0 liter engine and approximately 1,000 lbs less weight, and the best that the L-R could do was 14 mpg on the highway. (And the transfer case was in High.)

Regarding engine oil, I am using Mobil One 5W-30. I imagine that the mileage would drop if I switched to 10W-30; however, I am too happy with the present mileage to bother to test the effect of the change. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it....)
  • So would you guys agree, then, that the mileage reported by the DIC is pretty close to the "true" mileage? This seems to be the case to me. I have read posters on other boards complaining about the inaccuracy of their vehicles' system-generated mileage figures, a complaint I haven't seen with the Denali.

I agree that it is pretty amazing to get this sort of mileage out of a vehicle with the size and power of a Denali. My 3.5L 96 Dodge Intrepid only gets about 18 mpg in driving around town and a bit over 20 on the highway.
    I just recently had the throttle body on my Denali XL replaced because of a surging idle. Not only did the replacement solve the surging idle problem, but the highway fuel economy improved dramatically (13.5 to 16.5 or better MPG). I will get a better idea of the highway economy on our next trip.
    I have consistently gotten 16-19mpg highway calculated miles divided by gas used. The worst mileage I got was on the first 2-3 tanks until the rig was broken in some. I noticed on the longer runs the computer was pretty close to actual on the gas used and mileage.
    (Hey and this big rig gives better mileage, performance and handling than my 68' Dodge HP Mopar ever did)
    I recently had the shop do a 30k service; they cleaned the fuel injectors as well as replacing the fuel filter. I did notice a bit more spritely acceleration and smoother running. (I can't say if mileage was affected as the Denali is in the body shop recovering from a hit & run while we were traveling, I'll update if it changes significantly)