Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Glad to hear your observations. I'm actually gonna keep my Trooper I think since the trade-in value is so low on it I might as well keep it for offroading and city driving. The Denali will do Team IAC work hauling the race car and team to track days and for when I want to head out to dinner with the family etc. Heck I'll be able to put the trooper on the trailer for offroad events and not worry about breaking something! ;)

-mike
  • Looks like you'll be able to enjoy the best of both worlds. I look forward to you joining the D crowd, since you are sure to find out how to improve upon the formula. How about trying to fit an H2 low-range center diff into the Denali ;)
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Mike (paisan) and I were discussing the back up sensors over on the Cadillac Escalade thread. The reason the Cadillac jumped to the top of my list was because the rear sensors are standard on the Escalade. I was quoted $1,700 for adding the rear sensors to the Denali XL and was concerned about the interior monitor and how it might look cheesy and added-on.

Mike seems to the think that having the sensors is an admission that you can't drive. I think it's an added safety measure since the "longer" ESV version is what I am considering would be helpful. Also I like the fact that when comparing the Yukon Denali XL to the Escalade ESV, the Cadillac has a longer warranty, includes rear seat heaters, three rows of leather, more horsepower on the 6.0, upgraded dash with the (drum-roll) "woodgrain" and "Bvlgari" clock, etc.

I have a similar driveway problem that the above poster (dilbertzzz) mentioned, I live at a dead-end street where I get really close to a fence and flower bed when backing up, the sensors on my ML500 allow me to just watch the display without twisting my neck and raising up out of my seat when backing. I just watch the sensor indicator at the rear of the ceiling which allows for a quicker exit and I'm on my way. (I also look at all three mirrors too)

Mark
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    The Denali has them unless they have been removed since 01.
    I remember seing a device somewhere that will unlock all doors with one push of the keyfob on our SUVs. Now I can't find it. Anyome know where I can get a device that will do that.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,048
    A lot of OEM fobs open all doors with two clicks or holding down a push button. JC Whitney has an aftermarket lock with a remote that'll open all doors with one click (link) and I sure there must be others out there.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    I don't think that the 3rd row is leather. I know for a fact that the Yukon/XL and Denali/XL have vinyl 3rd rows for the durability of having to remove them. The vinyl can handle the abrasions and small hang ups that would damage leather during removal/transporting/storage. The grain is the same but the feel and smell is different, I would double check on that before you choose the ESV for that and the reverse sensors. I have heard that the '05 Denali/XL will have reverse sensors available as an option. Yukon/XL are still out of luck, must be because of the chrome bumper.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Just to clarify, the Denali has vinyl seating on the third row... the Escalade has LEATHER seating on the third row. (Reading directly from brochure).

Mark
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    Must be because they don't expect anyone buying the Cadillac to ever stoop to removing the rear seat (much less to actually consider carrying any real cargo -- Icky!). ;-)
    Yes, that will work. But, I am not looking for that. I am looking for a device that will take a single press on the factory keyfob and convert it into the double press required to open all doors. I did see one somewhere, but now I can't find it.

If I am not mistaken, the 2001 Denalis have a leather 3rd row. They probably changed it in a cost cutting move.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,048
    I think you need a Windows XP fob :-)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    "Yukon/XL are still out of luck, must be because of the chrome bumper."

The Nissan Armada has partial chrome on the rear bumper and all Armadas have standard rear sensors. GM's probably trying to separate the upscale Denali/Escalade from the regular Yukon.
  • We traded from the 01 DXL to the 05 DXL, vehicle feels tighter, probably being new.
    1) To jgmilberg-there is no back-up sensor, maybe it's coming later--it would be nice to have.
    2) I'm a little disappointed with the navigation, the new touch screen is nice, but it can't find our house on the street, the house numbers are all wrong.--does anyone know who the map/software provider is for GM? I haven't asked the dealer yet.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    Nope - 2001's had vinyl, verified that when I bought mine - many years ago it was called naugahyde to make it sound better.
  • Interesting. Do you have a short wheelbase or long wheelbase? I have a long wheel base and I thought it was leather on the long wheelbase models. But, i could be wrong.
    I had the reg Denali not the XL, and was told the third row seats were vinyl in both. (I looked at both to decide if I needed the extra room.) If you find a seam or look close at the stitching you'll be able to tell. The vinyl also has a bit more "grain" to it.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Here's a pic of a new '05 Denali in the new Steel Gray color. I love it, and think it's one of the best colors for the truck.

http://www.driveultimate.com/GMC/5918_1.html
    I was just in for service this weekend and they had Steel Gray one there also - Very Sharp, Great Color, I agree.
  • What I meant to say in the post about the reverse sensors in the chrome bumpers was that they would be 4 black sensors in a chrome bumper - added on after thought looking. On the Denali/Escalade they have a painted bumper cover that the sensors will be painted to match and blend into the cover.

Does anyone know the paint code for "steel gray"? Looks like my '04 YXL's "Silverbirch" color 59.

Has anyone sen the new Blue-Green Crystal yet? I saw one ay my local dealer yesterday, what a slick looking paint. Deep blue base with a blue/green flake in the clear that just glows in the sunlight! Not sure if it's going to be available on the Denali/XL or not. The one I saw was a Yukon.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Not sure of the color code, but that gray is nowhere near Silver Birch. The silver is a MUCH lighter color, very faint even for silver. The gray isn't dark, but it's pretty much a medium gray--nothing like Silver Birch.

Compare these two:
    This is a Silver Birch '05:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/new_photos/5893_1.jpg

And this is the Steel Gray '05:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/new_photos/5918_1.jpg
  • Why, oh why, wont GM sell me a Duramax DXL??
    Make that 2 of us. I'd have one already if they made it.

-mike
  • I think there would be a lot more than just two people that would buy a Duramax-equipped Denali (either the standard or the extended model). Unfortunately, I can't even speculate as to why GM doesn't want to make a Duramax/Allison even an option for the Denali.
  • My understanding is that the only transmission that can handle the torque of the Duramax will not fit without a major change to the transmission tunnel/floor panel of the Suburban/Yukon.

The biggest market for a duramax will not be in the denali but in the 3/4 ton suburban/yukon xl.
    Whatever you want to call it liquid...

Yukon, Denali, Suburban, etc....

I need an SUV with Diesel, period. Right now my only choice is the Excursion and I won't buy a ford.... :(

-mike
  • I have been whining about a DXL-D for 3 years and the answer about the tranny not fitting hasn't changed.

I've heard rum ours from everyone, including dealers about a six cyl Dura-mini, but like women in bars, they were just teases and come-ons, with no follow-through or satisfaction.

I tow kids and I tow a trailer. A duramax dXL is what I need. I am not Anti-Ford, so I will try the Excursion before I buy.
  • Paisan,

you're missing the point:

The Denali (as the Escalade)is built on the 1/2 ton chassis/frame, meaning "light duty" with coil springs on the back,etc.

The reason peoples buy the Denali/Escalade is for the extra luxury and smooth ride.

A diesel,due to it's extra weight and of the required stronger components for the drive train, tranny, full floater rear axle, 8 lug nuts wheels, bigger brakes,etc would have to be built on the 3/4 ton chassis frame with leaf springs and with the added weight and different suspension,you will certainly not have the somooth ride that make peoples buy the denali/Escalade in the first place.
    Liquid, the point is that we want the diesel good gas milage etc in ANY SUV body. That's my point. I'd buy the 2500HD with the Dmax however I need more than 5 passenger spots....

-mike
  • My 2001 GMC Yukon Denali XL vibrates like crazy whenever I drive over rough pavement. The steering wheel vibrates, the dash board vibrates, the chairs vibrate and the windows vibrate.

I've taken it in to several shops and the mechanics tell me nothing is wrong. Has this happpened to anyone else?

garrett.j.debuiser@aexp.com