Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Unusual Clunks and Noises

13»

Comments

• cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    the TSB talks about the PZEV engine being tuned specifically for CA gas blends so if you are in another state with some different blend you may have some issues with rough starting etc. I have not had any problems with my 08 OB over 6k now and despite the recent few spells of subzero temps in IL. Maybe our gas blend is the same as CA. - or maybe I've been so used to my old 98 Legacy, even a non functioning 08 sounds good to me :-)!!
    There is also a TSB about a noise from the exhaust during startup which is normal and related to the lean burning also.
    It seems people in the NW and New England are complaining most about the PZEVs. Is there gas there different from CA and the midwest??
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    They sell the CV+Axle Assembly as a whole unit. Cost is about $75 and takes about 2hrs to replace. It's not that bad a job.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Where can I read the TSBs? Is there a public site where the TSBs are posted?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,273
    No, not really, but I did find this site. Subaru's web site allows you to see the bulletin numbers and titles, but requires payment to download them. I take the TSB from the Subaru site and run a search on it. That is how I found the site linked above.
  • My husband and I just inherited a 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback (standard transmission) from a friend. It has 264K miles on it and is in great shape - they kept it garaged and were very good with maintenance.

We've had it less than 2 months and haven't driven it any real distance - just around town, to and from work, etc. About a week ago, it started making "chattering" noises - the best way to describe it is that it sounds like it's a diesel engine when it's not. It's not driving any differently or acting "funny" at all. It's about 200 miles overdue for an oil change, though.

My husband had a mechanic friend take a look and listen and he said something about the "cams" in such an old car not being able to hold enough oil and how that's usually remedied by adding something that will allow the valve to close to hold oil? I just called a mechanic in town and he said to check to make sure the oil isn't low.

Any ideas from any of you out there?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,273
    So, it is just making a clacking noise while the engine is running? If so, I would recommend that you do check the oil. My '96 Outback would make a similar clacking noise if the oil was more than a quart low; yes, it was the valve lifters. With the oil topped off, the lifters would quiet right down.

This is a car with more than a quarter million miles - make a habit of checking the oil with every fueling.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yup, I agree with Wes. Also you may want to go to a slightly heavier weight oil such as a 10-30 or 10-40 even.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
13»
This discussion has been closed.