Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Oil Questions

2»

Comments

• no warrantee to speak of as ithas set in my house being babyed. Also there is only one place to get parts for the beasts. I mean only one in the whole USA.
  • I am new to this forum as I just purchased a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4 Quad Cab Long Bed automatic. My son is a mechanic, but I tend to read the specs in my manual before I discuss things with him, and we end up arguing. I read the specifics as to what kind of oil I should use. The only one that had all the appropriate requirements for my truck was the Motorcraft which is highly recommended for the Ford Powerstrokes. HOWEVER, on the back, it also recommends it can be used for the Cummins engines. Can someone help me with this? I don't mind paying for the appropriate fluids as I plan o keep this truck for a LOOOONG time. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but am more than open to ANY and ALL advice you all can help me with.

Thank you for your time,
    Mudchick
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    The oil specifically recommended for the Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 engines is Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40, which was created by Valvoline especially for Cummins.

Valvoline.com - Premium Blue Engine Oil

You'll note this in the right side of the page: "Endorsed and recommended by Cummins for use in Dodge Ram Turbo Diesels" - and you'll see the Cummins "big C" logo right on the label.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• kcram,

Thank you so very much! I appreciate that!!!

Mudchick :-)
    Very welcome - my Ram diesels love the stuff ;)

• Now... Where to find the stuff! So far only Amazon.com. Sorry to be a pain... I see I can get it if I get my oil changed at the Valvoline Oil Change Place, but I'd rather buy it and make my son do it! It's the LEAST he could do for me! Any familiar local auto parts or other such related stores to find this? Apparently not found in Walmart..Of course their website is not very helpful in the autoparts department. Geez....
    And is there a particular filter you would highly recommended?
    Not a pain at all! :)

AutoZone has Valvoline Premium Blue in their stores... it's $12.99 per gallon at my local AutoZone (north NJ).

Can't go wrong with the Cummins Fleetguard oil filters. Best place to find them is from Geno's Garage, a well-known Dodge/Cummins parts house. They ship promptly and have a very good reputation - Geno's Garage - Fleetguard Oil Filters. You can order several at a time and have them around for when you need them. Pick up the Fleetguard air and fuel filters from them as well.

• kcram,

Again, thank you! I will be back with more questions! Hopefully not to soon, but I may seek you out.

Bless you and Happy Holidays to you and everyone!

Mudchick :-)
  • I have 03 Ram1500 4.7, 192,000 miles.Last oil change with Full synthetic oil at 185,000 miles,about 2 months ago. I like the synthetic oil, drive smooth, more power, more MPH --- 14.2.Today I found the Check Gage light on, check the manual show low oil pressure. Bring back to auto shop, they found I got 2 quarte oil left, they put me 4 quarte of 20W30(called every oil). Now MPH go back to 13.5. They said my engine may be leaking, but I don't find any oil on the floor. I think I can change oil every 10,000 miles with synthetic oil. Why dry up too soon?
  • Absolutely nothing should have happened when you switched to synthetic from dinasour oil. Not sure whats going on but if it were mine and I had 192K on my RAM, I wouldnt change a thing from what I had been doing all along. If it aint broke, dont fix it.
2»