Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Scion xB - new design... love it or hate it?

darthclutchdarthclutch Posts: 18
edited April 27 in Scion
http://www.carscoop.autoblog.com/photos/2008-scion-xb/

I have to say I like the new look, but I stil love my 2006 xB. I am actually disappointed they chose to put a bigger engine in it. I like getting good mileage.

Comments

• but that's a big blind spot from that C-pillar back there, eh?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• You're right about the possible blind spot in the rear C-pillars. This design looks like a scaled down FJ and the blind spot in that is horrible. I read a small article last week in a Dallas newspaper that the 07 XB will get the 2.4 engine from the TC and not the 1.8 motor as first reported. Does anybody have any info on engine size and specs?
  • I personally like the looks and if it were available this spring or early summer I think I would buy it as I am living in Japan, but moving back to the States in April. Here in Japan, the xB, though not using the Scion name was updated last year and looks quite nice and was hoping it was going to be updated in N. America as well. But since it wasn't and won't be for another 8 or 10 months, I won't be purchasing an xB. After seeing the redesigned models here in Japan, I don't like the 'older' models as much anymore. :cry:
  • I don't like the looks or the specs. The xB2 is an entirely different car. It has been stylized in way that looks disturbing to me, and is 12" longer, 3" wider, almost 700 lbs heavier, 50% more displacement and horsepower, much less mpg and much more cost.

I wanted an xB with a more integrated front end design, side airbags, and a 1.8L engine. Scion has given me that in the xD.
  • hbgti1hbgti1 Posts: 16
    I was wondering what source you used that specified the 700 lb increase in weight. If this is true, then that would definitely make a big difference. I was hoping for at most 500 lbs.

Thanks
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    Autoweek noted an April 2007 release for 2008 xB. Can anyone else confirm?
  • I really like the improved feature content of the 2008 Scion XB. The new styling reminds me of a mini 2007 Chevy Tahoe; especially from the rear/side view.

I really like my 2005 Scion XB for the following reasons:

Great handling, interior room, rear seat room, ABS, traction control, stability control, unique styling, cavernous cargo space with the rear seats down.

However after driving it a while I realized that I missed cruise control, trip computer, exterior temperature, and the car also lacked storage space with the rear seats up. The vehicle also lacked passing power on the highway.

The new XB has addressed all those issues; and most important my wife likes it, so she might let me trade in the 05 to get an 08.

I just hope they keep the pricing in the same price range. I am also concerned about the gas mileage...I can only hope that they tuned down the 2.4 liter to get the same gas mileage as the 1.5 liter, while still taking advantage of the increased torque and power from the larger engine.
  • redbrienredbrien Posts: 8
    Late Spring is approaching very fast; as a result, the All New 2008 Xb will be here soon. I been looking around the web for as much info as I could possible get on this XB. Scion(Toyota) has leaked alot of info, just not of alot of sites post it. The best one I have seen is http://www.leftlanenews.com/2008-scion-xb.html

That will give you a taste of the '08 Xb. Also wondering if anyone has talked with dealers about ordering their Xb's. Alright guys. Later
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Posts: 101
    I would expect the fuel economy to be about the same as a FWD RAV4 with the same engine and tranmission. That was 24/30 in 2007, which will translate to about 21/27 using 2008 test procedures.
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "... I really like my 2005 Scion XB... However after driving it a while I realized that I missed cruise control, trip computer..."

Bought the Rostra cruise control for $195 and had it installed for $150.
    Bought a ScanGuageII for $170 that plugs into the diagnostic port behind pull-out dash cubby. It goes in the ledge above the steering wheel, and displays all the info that the car's computer knows about the engine, as well displaying any trouble codes, and also doing trip computations.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    Any idea on what month they will be selling the 2008. It really needed a new engine bad and it may now be possible for me to get one.
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    You can build one on the website now. Word is that it will be on sale by May.
  • lingnanlingnan Posts: 7
    According to the dealer, they already have the shipment in for California and I am supposed to test drive the new vehicle tomorrow.
    Will inform of the result afterward.
  • lingnanlingnan Posts: 7
    I went into the dealer to test drive the silver automatic but was sold (don't know if that is true) and they showed me a teal color one.
    The car has a lot of improvement over the 2006 and the dash is totally new, so is the gear shifter. (which is similar to Element now) A/C was sufficient enough over the 90 degree heat outside. When I pulled the car out of the lot, there is gusto underneath the hood, but the bottom seemed scrapped the drive way a bit. Cornering is good, under slow speed, and gassing up the car gets the immediate response from the new engine. Spacious interior, and comfortable ride according to my wife sitting in the back.
    Overall, for the money, out the door price just slightly under 19K is not bad for a new car. There is room enough under the hood to work with most of the items. The trunk space is enormous, gives me a feel of the Element.

I told the salesperson that we want the silver, when they have it.
    "... There is room enough under the hood to work with most of the items."

But the 2.4 engine is turned around compared to the 1.5. The exhaust side, where there is nothing to do, is in the front. The intake side, with the airbox connection, fuel injectors, throttle connection, etc, is hidden on the back against the firewall. I put a cruise control on my 2006 xB -- it would be a lot more difficult on the 2008 xB.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    It is much improved over the previous monstrosity.
  • dtown40dtown40 Posts: 18
    I was going to buy an Xb before they changed the style. I really liked that little car, and then Toyota/Scion had to change everything. Now it looks like its squinting like a constipated Chinaman. Sorry , but youve lost the sale with me.
    "... Now it looks like its squinting like a constipated Chinaman."

But it will be so cool to sit down low and peer out the squinty windows over the high sides.
  • You won't need to put cruise on it, since it comes standard with the 2008 xB.
  • Love it--bought it yesterday--they rolled off the trucks here in Indiana last week (week or May 14th 2007)--looks really great--great head turner!
This discussion has been closed.