Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Scion xB - new design... love it or hate it?

2»

Comments

• I feel the new xB is actually a fairly solid vehicle. The only problem is it is no longer an xB in spirit. Instead, it seems to have morphed into yet another competent-yet-vanilla, cynical, design-by-committee-for-fat-Americans vehicle. The quirky, lean, mean xB attitude was a casualty of this redesign. Toyota might as well have called it the xD, but no doubt wanted to leech off the goodwill built up by the original ("real") xB.

I see Toyota also jumped on the silly gun turret window/high beltline styling bandwagon with the xA's replacement, the xD. Despite this, the xD seems to be more in keeping with the design philosophy of the old xB.

For years, manufacturers have "dumbed down" their vehicles for the American market, typically selling vesions of their vehicles that have poorer handling, softer ride, more options and are bigger than the versions sold in Europe and Japan. (Examples include the VW Golf, Honda Accord and Ford Focus, which often seem like completely different vehicles compared to the versions sold to "Fat Americans". Car companies seem to believe Americans only want bigger, plush-riding, numb-steering vehicles.) The 2008 xB continues that patronizing attitude: Fatten it up, try to overcome the weight with a bigger engine, jump on the latest styling fads and then try to market it as "cool" or "hip". I'm not biting. The 2008 "xB" may be a good vehicle, but it sure as he11 isn't a real xB.

Fisrt Honda butchers the CRV and now Scion butchers the xB. Great. All I need now is for Honda to kill off the S2000 this Fall and the year will "perfect".

If I was in the market for a practical vehicle now that the new xB has had its base price jacked up by $1,600 this year, I would look at the Honda Fit (hate the geeky styling + lack of a dead pedal), Honda Element (hate the geeky styling) and Scion xA (amazing price for what you get) instead of the xB and would probably go with a manual transmission base Fit.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    A reporter would like to get consumer feedback on the redesigned Scion xB. You do not have to be an owner to respond. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than June 1, 2007 with your daytime contact information.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and some of you have stong opinions regarding the new design. Let me say that I think the design is a massive improvement over the prior Xb. The Xb still has the box shape with more functionality, comfort, performance, and a broader market appeal.

You know at one time not to long ago all inexpensive economy cars were non descript and unattractive. In the last ten years the masses can now afford a fun design such as the VW Bug, Mini Cooper, PT Cruiser, Chev. HHR, Scions, Element, and others. At one time only the weathly could afford a distictive design.

Weather you hate or love these designs, it is amazing how much design character you get for your money these days. I really like the new Xb and cant wait to test drive it.

For the clone poster the PT Cruiser has been a massive success for Chrysler and still sells well after 7 years.
  • tonyklotonyklo Posts: 3
    Our previous 2005 xB was a base model with Automatic as the only option. We took delivery of a 2008 xB yesterday, and the only thing I really do not like is the single low mounted back-up light. Being in the Chicago area, the light in the daytime, is ignored by most parking lot space-racers. I am looking forward to an aftermarket set of tail light assemblies containing back-up lights for better notice to oncoming drivers.
  • subjectivesubjective Posts: 62
    We now have 840 miles on our new 5 speed 08 XB. Combined driving on interstate(75-80 mph), secondary hwy(55-60 mph) and city light traffic, the XB is giving a steady 29.1 mpg. Both trip computer and fuel used return this mpg figure. Tire pressure used is 35 psi cold. Our silver 05 XB 5 speed has been offered for 7 days at $12,850. with no takers. It is mint and yet we notice that they are offering the same model 05 XBs in California at 15 to $18k. Perhaps someone would like to come to Florida to visit Disney and save some money on our 05 XB.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Posts: 167
    I haven't driven the '08 or the previous gen either, but have checked them out and sat in them a few times.
    I am pretty excited with the changes on the new one. But, something popped into my head and won't go away...
    I remembered two things I thought were outstanding, even fantastic, in the original xB, and seem to have been lost; the comfortable front seats and the view looking out from inside the car. Seats as comfortable as a $35,000 car, and a 360 view as good, or better, than an interstate bus.
    A coworker just purchased an '06 Automatic, low miles, with fancy wheels, lowered one inch, and also a few of the options people ordered, for $15,000. She loves it, and did check out the '08 first. I recommended the '08, but her boyfriend has a first gen, and checked out the new one real good. Now they got a matching set! Both of them disliked the 2008. Just a story, not trying to make any point, I guess.
    The new engine, bigger & better brakes, wider stance, longer wheelbase, and a slightly chopped look make the new one my favorite. Again, haven't driven either, or been in either when they were under power.
  • vu2000vu2000 Posts: 58
    I test drove a base 08 Xb auto today. The car drove great and has good power. The AC actually cooled the car down(the 06 I test drove over a year ago was pathetic, no power and the AC was poor). The price is decent considering all the standard equipment that was not on the 06(side and curtain airbags, cruise, and traction control). I thought the car look decent and has lots of room inside. For those of you who does not like the way this car looks, don't buy it or buy an 07 Xb. I think this car is a good value with good gas mileage compare to most SUV, including car based SUV. :D
  • babbajobabbajo Posts: 1
    I bought the 2008 XB and I love everything about it. I traded in a 2006 Scion TC to get it. I loved the tc but needed more room, and the XB has given it to me.I am 62 years old and on my TC I put a big dragon on each side of my car. It was a silver car and I put a black dragon on it. I also added red pin striping to the dragon. Everyone in my town loved my car from 8 to 80 years old. ;) ;)
    Hi!! Glad to see it is not only 20-somethings buying the great xB's! I'm 57 and as I said in an earlier post, I had a 2005 white xB we used to call our "little white milk truck" because it reminded us of the old '50s home delivery trucks. We got our white 2008 xB automatic last week and enjoy every drive in it. I'm in the Chicago area, and it would be fun to see (nearest major city) where the posts are from. :)
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "... For those of you who does not like the way this car looks, don't buy it or buy an 07 Xb.

I did not buy my xB1 for its looks, and would not buy the xB2 for its looks. I buy for function, utility, and and how it fits my body. I like a high car that is easy to enter and has lots of headroom. A car with tall windows to see out of all around, with a low belt line so I can rest my arm on the window sill.
    Scion could have kept us all in the fold, if only they had made incremental improvements to the xB1, like the normal progression of a model. But the xB2 is a new design that does not do what I want. While I don't mind the extra size and power and cost, I don't like the chopping of the headroom, the raising of the belt line, the resulting slit windows, and no place to rest the left arm. Scion has introduced styling to the xB, but with loss of those things that mattered to me.
  • babbajo- I'm in Lafayette Indiana--not too far from you. I can't wait till I see someone else in town the a new XB--Mine will be 3 weeks old tomorrow already! The dealer only got two in mine (black) and a silver one which already had a sold tag on it but then my sales person said someone might be backing out ect--so I don't know if the silver is still there or not. I'm so very happy with this UUB (urban utility vehicle)
  • I'm thinking of buying the new 2008 XB. My wife and I were actually shopping for a Vibe/Matrix, but it's impossible to find one of those with optional ABS and side curtain airbags. So the salesman at the Toyota dealership asked us if we'd like to look at the new Scion XB because those come standard. At first we thought, "a Scion, no way." But once we got passed the silly marketing campaign and weird looks (we don't love the way it looks, but don't mind it, either) we test drove it and liked the ride, and really like all the standard safety features.

The salesman, though, and no other salesman at any other Scion dealership have been able to answer my question about the safety build of the new 2008 XB. I know it has side air bags, but does anybody know about how it's designed with side crumple zones, etc. I can't find any of this info on the Scion website or any other website. The 2006 XB rated poor in side impact crash tests. The new 2008 is heavier and also now has side air bags, but sometimes side air bags don't actually improve the crash test results in small, economy cars. So I'm wanting to know how the structural integrity has changed or been improved, or maybe if it hasn't and so that's why I can't find out this info.

I would very much like to wait on buying one until after side crash test results have been released (only the front one has been done so far) but I'm in a situation where we have to buy a new car within the month, and aside from that, I'm leaning toward the Scion, but I really don't see a point in spending thousands of dollars on a car that might rate poor.

Any thoughts or info would be great on this subject. Thanks!
  • Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "side crumple zones". It is just the door, the impact beam/B pillar, and the airbags. The 2008 xB has side airbags (protects your body) and head curtain airbags (keeps your head from bouncing off of hard things).

There is no real way to tell how well it will take a side impact until the test is performed. The doors are heavier than the last generation, which is a good sign, but your question cannot be answered until the test is performed. I would venture a guess that it will do considerably better.
    Hi! If you find the crash test results or other interesting info please post a link to it. Before I bought my 2008 xB, I spent time on www.scion.com using the build your xB. It shows the car in zoom and you can open the hood, doors, and tailgate to see inside. Notable items: Power brake vacuum assist chamber and master cylinder is on the Passenger side actuated by a cross-rod, and the Power steering is Electric Motor assisted, not driven by belt drive from the engine as the norm. Also, on my 2005 xB the standard Pioneer radio display could be changed to display any message you want upon power-up (didn't try the 2008 yet). :)
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Re. the display message on the radio during power up . . . yes, this can be done on the 2008 as well.
  • subjectivesubjective Posts: 62
    The only serious problem with our 08 XB has been the Bridgestone EL400-02 tires. At 1300 miles we had a sidewall failure, a perfectly straight separation from the edge of the tread to the rim. We did nothing to cause this failure and Bridgestone refused to replace this tire which we strongly believe is a manufacturing defect. Reviews from most customers of Tire Rack owning this tire reviewed it to be poor in wear and driveability. If others buy a new 08 XB my advice is to make a serious attempt to immediately trade these tires out for a better tire such as the serenity, but it seems to me that customer service with Bridgestone is nonexistant. They did not answer my emails and I could not find listed anywhere an 800 number such as the other tire manufacturers list.
  • Yeah the Bridgestones are dogs. But on the west coast the 2008 xB has Goodyear tires.
  • slrmanslrman Posts: 2
    I Really Like Both Designes, How The New One Is More Wavy And Old One Is Boxy. Overall I Love The Scion xB!!! :P
  • With assistance of Scion and Bridgestone Corporate customer service overriding the local mgr., the tires were replaced with the Bridgestone Serenity which are much better. I hope this will help other Scion XB owners with the Bridgestone EL400-02 tires. I would strongly recomend if you have this tire immediately change it out for a better safer tire.
  • wapswaps Posts: 19
    Place small close-up mirror on outer edge of both L/R rear view mirrors. Adjust until blind spot is gone.
  • wapswaps Posts: 19
    Bridgestone and Firestone owed by same company. :confuse:
    I'll stick with the Goodyears that's what's on my 2008 xB. Great ride and no worries. :)
  • I currently drive a mini cooper, manual transmission, and i love it but my lease is up in October and my needs have changed..I have kids that are larger, so I need a bigger vehicle but my sense of quirky style hasn't changed and I have absolutely decided upon a Scion Xb...but! to buy the newer 2008 or the older style 2006 is my dilemma. i am not a crazt fast driver (I have kids) but I do enjoy the control of a manual transmission...and I am mostly a city driver but again, the manual transmission thing is stimulating and keeps me super alert. iI think i love the boxier but smaller style of the 2006 but there is something about having an even more modern vehicle....I may be answering my own question here but if anyone has any advise knowing what I drive now to what what is a good transformation....?
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,582
    If you're carrying kids, I'd definitely go with the '08, it's a much sturdier, safer vehicle. That's one reason it's bigger, to the dismay of the '06 lovers. The older version is light because it's an old design, with much poorer performance in side impact crashes (3/4 stars front/rear, compared to 5/5 stars for the new model).

If you want better handling, there are Scion parts (I'd go for the springs, shocks, front tower bar and anti-roll bars) but not the larger wheels, there are good tires you can put on the 16" rims.
  • I noticed that the xB has only one reverse light on the left side of the rear bumper: http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/I/u/ag_08xb_leftrear.jpg . I wonder why they did that. Do any xB owners find that there is less or asymmetric light when reversing in the dark? Is it a potential safety issue?
  • My husbands coworker just got the 2008 xb.
    I took it for a test drive and I found no safety issue with reversing and the lighting was just fine in the dark.
    I personaly feel more comfortable in my mazda.
    But I didn't feel that the lighting brought up any safety issues.
  • Thanks. What was your opinion of the car overall from the test drive?
  • My overall feel in the car was great..It handled great and the blind spots were almost non existent compared to my mazda....But call me shallow I just don't like the way the car looks....its niether retro nor modern :shades:
  • natatacnatatac Posts: 17
    Anything in the rumour mill about design changes coming in the 2011 model year? I know the 1st gen had a short run, not sure how long the second gen will go for and being with the new Soul and upcoming Cube the market isn't so exclusive anymore and the people love to see the newer designs. I noticed the discussions on the XB boards have lost a lot of momentum as of late. Lot of consumer reviews of the Soul going on now the car is hot, will likely see a similiar perk of activity with the cube......
  • flawlesslyflawlessly Posts: 2
    The 1st gen. was out in 2003/4, the 2nd gen. was out in 2008, I don't think the 3rd gen. will out for another 2 or 3 years, if they really do change to 3rd gen. in just 2 or 3 years, people will think that Scion isn't a good bit due to too often changing styles, buyers also will put on hold buying Scion entirely, who knows the car will be outdated tomorrow or not.
2»
This discussion has been closed.