Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• kenskens Posts: 5,869
    I'm sure the cold startup noise is harmless valve chatter, but the dealer should have left it overnight to duplicate properly. If you're concerned, I'd ask them to try one more time, but to listen to it first thing in the morning. The best thing is to actually be there with the service guy when they are listening for it.

Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I bet the cargo area is still pretty boxy. The Axiom appears to be tapered, yet cargo room is still quite good. I think the rear-most portion of the Forester is maybe only an inch lower than the highest point, and if it's an inch taller than before there will be no loss in cargo area height.

Part of this is an illusion created by the upswept lower window line. Notice how it sweeps up and makes the rear windows smaller.

OK, so give us a 175hp AVCS engine with EPA ratings of 23/28 for the auto and 22/29 for the manual. :-)

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The Axiom I found to be not as cavernous as I'd like :) But you know me, I like everything boxy! :)

-mike
    I must say, the new 2003 Forester look is growing on me. The more I look at the jpeg, the more I like it. I think Subaru did a good job in refreshing it without going overboard.

The new 'flowing' blisters are nice; front and back.

Anyone notice that there is a new "AWD" badge on the C pillar. No more having to worry about getting a new decal when you tint your windows!

Ken
    Bob pointed out to me that the rear blisters on the current model flow all the way back. Look at how they start, though, they go up, then back. Plus, they blister outward.

The new ones blister inward, then have flares that bulge out below those. I like both, but I prefer the front of the new one, which flows all the way back into the door. Nice.

-juice
  • I am not in favor of the tapered rear--still fond of my 2000 "square back." I was able to get a 32" tv into my forester w/o removing it from the box (tight fit but it went in). I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to replicate that again with the 2003.

Nice to see that the gas tank lid has a remote lock/unlock device.

Bob: I just looked on the Balt. Conv. Cnt web site and they list the opening time as 10 a.m. for Thursday. I just may get there around 11 a.m.

Michael
    I bet the cargo capacity is no less than ours. I hope so.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    If that's the case, do you still want to hook up? I can't make it that early. I'm guessing the earliest I can make it there is around 12:45.

Give me a call, or e-mail me.

Bob
  • hciaffahciaffa Posts: 454
    this site, news release from Yahoo. It has some interior changes listed but so far it dosen't seem they increased the rear leg room.....

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020206/phw002_1.html
    No mention of any power increase. :(

Bob
    Anyone catch the line in the article that says:

On models equipped with the five- speed manual transmission, the Subaru Hill Holder clutch helps make starting off on an incline easier and safer

Ken
    Bob, ya beat me!

Ken
  • Says all are the 165HP! Does this mean same for Legacy? Where's the Turbo?????

Jim
    That's because you're on the west coast and I'm on the east coast. You're just in a different time zone. ;)

Bob
    Base "X" model still stays with steel. I bet they all wear the same rubber now.

Bob
    no great changes under the skin. However, the improvements are definitely worthwhile.

We need specs and interior photos!

Bob
    LOL, Bob. I think it's because I made my post prettier. ;-)

Sounds like the Forester is getting larger brake rotors too. I betcha they're the OB/WRX rotors now that 16" wheels are standard.

Ken
    if the inclusion of the "Hill-Holder" clutch is one of the eight items Pattie said that we (the Crew) influenced? I know we campaigned hard for that one a while back. And if so, I wonder what the other items were too?

Bob
    is new to the Forester.

Bob
    on XS models. This is new.

Bob
    Also, EBD. Anyone know what this is?

Ken
    Electronic Brake Distribution. It's only on the XS model.

Bob
  • Don't know much about chat rooms, so I hope I'm doing this right. I am seriously considering buying a 2002 Forester and noticed that several people talked about the 2003. Can someone please tell me how I can see it. Thanks.
  • Wouldn't ya know it, for some reason when I go to the link to see the 03 Forester my screen freezes up; new contours? fender flares? Hill-holder? Is this some sort of cruel test or something. HELP: someone please post an image.
    Desperate Dave
    These are high-res images. You may have to allocate more memory to your Internet program.

Bob
    Wow, a few bits of bad news:

* no power increase (yet)
    * new suspensions tuning probably means 4 struts

But more good news:

* keyless now standardd
    * CD player std
    * var. int. wipers std
    * 16" rims std (big plus!)
    * bigger front brakes
    * Hill Holder

That's good. The 16" rims and the Hill Holder are the biggest news, but it looks like content will continue to be a very strong point.

-juice
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    So what we're seeing so far includes (and this is not an exhaustive list):

Updated styling
    A more rigid structure
    16" wheels for all models
    Larger front brake rotors
    Same 2.5 165hp engine
    Hill holder clutch
    Head protection airbags for the front passengers
    Some kind of whiplash protection (?) for front passengers
    Front seat belt pretensioners
    Electronic Brake Distribution
    Keyless standard
    CD player standard
    Variable intermittent wipers standard

What else?
    for 5-speed lovers.

Don't know any size specs. Wheelbase? Length? Width? Interior, etc.?

Bob
    I think the pre-tensioners are already in place, since 2001 IIRC?

-juice
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    Has anybody else noticed the absence of the word "Moonroof" on the equipment list? I don't recall seeing it in the pictures either. I'm stuck here in 56k land or I'd go take another look. I don't recall seeing it.

I sure hope this isn't gonna be another "moonroof available in next years model" Subaru deals. They did that on the orig. Forester and now on the WRX.
    - Hutch
This discussion has been closed.