Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    With all due respect to Bob and Mike, I'd be very pleased with a "low-lag" turbo setup for towing, because I tow at altitude.

Nothing like trying to haul a rig through the Eisenhower tunnel (I-70 at the Continental Divide) at 11,000 + feet. Power is down a full one-third from spec at that altitude.

-brianV
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    brianV,

Nice write up on the Sport A2s. Actually, I ended up going with those on my wife's Jetta today. It turned out that for just a few dollars more per tire, I could plus-zero the Dunlops over the Yokohama YK420 (Discount Tire's own Avid T4). I've only driven 5 city blocks with them so I really don't have much input other than they seem a lot more stable and quiet compared to the OE Gooyear LSs they replaced.

I'm thinking about getting Bridgestone RE950s for my Forester when the time comes.

Ken
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I drove through the Eisenhower Pass about 10 years ago, on a Memorial Day weekend, and it was snowing!

I love Colorado!

Bob
  • tadpole11tadpole11 Member Posts: 1
    Just a new guy with a couple of questions. We take delivery on our '03 XS in mid-December. It has the Yoko Geolander tires and you folks seem to prefer other tires to the OEM make. Tirerack gives very high marks to the Geolander H/T models. Are they the OEM Yokos or are the OEM a lesser breed?
    Second question: In message # 8058 rochom posted a link to Subaru screen savers. Did anyone else notice that the red and silver Foresters have hood scoops? Could they be a turbo prototype that SOA stuck in there as a teaser?
    I enjoy the exchanges of info here and look forward to being a regular poster as well. Peace.
    Ken - Let us know how the Dunlop's feel on the Jetta. I have a feeling we don't drive as hard as some folks on this board. (well, my wife prolly does...)

I have a feeling the A2's are going to be a lot of fun in the twisties when it's dry (and safe...)

Bob - Loveland (ski resort on top of the Eisenhower tunnel at I-70 and the divide) opened 2 weeks ago, I think. Mountains have gotten a pretty good dump here this last week.

Let the games begin !

-brianV
    I was on my way to Breckenridge, for an AIGA conference.

Bob
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    The Yokos being supplied with the 2003 Forester are a new model. The ones on the older Foresters were a different design. The old ones were not bad, but many people had trouble with premature wear, some as early as 18k miles. They also were not too good on snow when partly worn. I (being cheap, as mentioned before) do not see any reason to replace them until they wear out.

The wear tended to be uneven--mainly on the outer edges. In my case, after replacing them with Goordrich Touring T/As, I no longer had the uneven wear, even though I did NOT do an alignment.

Juice, I agree about snow tires. Here in northern New York where we do get a lot of snow in some years, I have not found them to be a good investment. I had a pair of Nokia Hakkas on my Saab that I used for 2 seasons. I didn't bother with them after that. The problem is that snows tend to have a soft, squirmy tread that does not allow them to handle as well as regular tires.

We average about 13 snows per season, and have had over 200 inches in a year, but typically, the ground is cleared very quickly, so that there is very little actual time spent driving on snow. The result is that to handle the maybe 3% of time that one would spend actually driving on snow, the other 97% of the time driving is compromised. I favor finding a good all season design that can handle snow (many cannot).
    brianV -- Well, actually I drive my Forester harder than my wife's Jetta because it handles better. The Jetta is too softly sprung and the VR6 engine makes it front-end heavy. In any event, I've adjusted the tire pressures to what I want them to be and will have a chance to test them out this weekend. So far, they feel soild, but I did notice more road noise at highway speeds.

rochcom -- Have you tried looking for winter tires that are more performance-biased like the Michellin Pilots?

Ken
  • rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    With arrival of winter oxygenated fuel my mpg has plummeted from 28 to 19 mpg (same commute) will the ECU help recover some of this loss or should I go up a notch on the octane scale?

Where is the hydrocarbon emission savings when now I'm using 30% more fuel? Bob L.
  • jimbob17jimbob17 Member Posts: 77
    I got an offer from SOA for an added security plan until 6 years or 60,000 miles. The deal and price sound like a good deal. It does involve $100. deductible per visit. Does anyone have any experience and opinions on this plan?
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    rsay777 Nov 2, 2002 1:53pm

Bob-
    Give the ECU a couple of tanks to adjust. It should adjust.
    Actually, I think you would take it down a notch on the octane scale. From what I've experienced with my demised OB, higher octane would decrease your mpg further. If you're already down there (87), experiment with another brand.

-Dave
  • chaynes1chaynes1 Member Posts: 27
    Just traded my WRX 5-sp wagon for a new auto XS Forester. Boy, what a contrast in these two Subies! The WRX was a sensational performer, but grew too confining for day-to-day and trip use and my wife quit driving it. Also, I couldn't tow my kayak trailer with it...at least it wasn't recommended and the rear bumper hacking just seemed too much of a hill to climb. The Forester is a urban commuters dream, not as much power as the WRX but is smoother, feels much bigger, and has more squirm room inside. The veritable Swiss army knife of automobiles! I installed an Subaru tow package (about 3 hours work.. nice quality and a good fit) and the towing problem was solved. One difference in these two cars has me puzzled. The WRX had the oil filter in easy reach (out in the wind, so to speak) just behind the bumper. The Forester has a "door" that is a part of front underbody streamlining but must be opened with a screwdriver to access the filter. Seems that the "racer" would have the underbody streamlining, not the
    "plodder." Anyone know why?
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    My guess is that there is a much greater expectation the the Forester will be used "off road". The shield is designed to keep mud and other gunk out of the engine compartment as well as protecting against minor off road baddies. Your WRX was not expected to visit such dirty areas.

Ross
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    You must be the first. Several of us here (including myself) have contemplated moving from the Forester to the WRX. Power and handling mostly the reasons.

What kind/number of 'yaks do you have? I throw my 14 1/2-foot Perception Carolina on top of my Forester (not often enough) and expect I would do the same on a WRX wagon.

Ed
    Thumbs up !

We got another 4 inches of snow in Denver, and I had the opportunity to try out the A2's in a mix of fresh snow and slush, depending on whether you moved over to the side of the street, or stayed in everybody's tracks...

As I've never driven a dedicated snow tire, I'll leave comparisons with a true winter tire to someone else, but I can say that compared with other all seasons, the A2's are respectable.

Add power hard straightaway (3/4 throttle)? Sure.
    Brake hard straightaway ? Sure. ABS kicks in & out (instead of just cutting in and staying in)
    Add power in a corner ? Sure.
    Brake in a corner ? Sure.

Predictable response throughout. Obviously, messing around in a corner should only be done on a nice wide residential street free of parked cars, or comparable situation. Usual disclaimers apply...

We'll see how they do after the tread is worn a bit, but for someone who gets relatively mild winters (320 days of sunshine a year), these are quite nice, thank you. Hopefully the dry/wet traction will live up to their reputation, because that's my greater need.

Ski trip anyone ? Colorado mountains got socked last week !

Hope this helps,

-brianV
    brianV,

Thanks for the update. That's good to know!

Ken
  • momof05momof05 Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I am shopping for a new 2003 Forester, and I was wondering if anyone here who has one can tell me their experiences or opinions of these accessories.

Cargo bin or cargo nets (rear, rear seat back, and side) - I will be using this vehicle for most of our shopping, and I like to keep everything organized and not rolling around. In the pictures I have seen, the cargo bin seems to use up a fair amount of the space in the cargo area. Is this true? Which option (bin vs. nets) works best?

Armrest extension - is it comfortable? Does it provide much more storage than there is without it?

Rear window dust deflector - the salesman told me that this would help to keep snow, etc. off of the back window while driving, improving visibility. Is this true?

Air filter

Splash guards

Rear bumper cover

Rear differential protector - Is this worth getting? I don't plan to go off road much.

We need a vehicle soon, and do not have time (according to the salesman, approx. 18 weeks) to order one. Does anyone here know if these things can be gotten and installed after the purchase? I have searched the inventories of all the Subaru dealerships within a 150 mile radius, and the Forester XS's they have in stock all have exactly the same options, some of which I want, and some I don't.

Advice, please!

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong message board. I am adding a discussion on the Aftermarket and Accessories board.

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please see my link to the Owner's Club mods discussion there, Momof05kids.

Steve, Host
    << <I>Cargo bin or cargo nets (rear, rear seat back, and side) - I will be using this vehicle for most of our shopping, and I like to keep everything organized and not rolling around. In the pictures I have seen, the cargo bin seems to use up a fair amount of the space in the cargo area. Is this true? Which option (bin vs. nets) works best? >>

I've never found these things to be very useful.

<< <I>Armrest extension - is it comfortable? Does it provide much more storage than there is without it? >>

Yes, a very worthwhile option!

<< <I>Rear window dust deflector - the salesman told me that this would help to keep snow, etc. off of the back window while driving, improving visibility. Is this true? >>

We have it on ours. I can't say if it works as advertised, since I've driven one without it for any length of time. I have nothing to compare it to.

<< <I>Air filter>

Is this the interior air filter? If so, unless you have allergies, I wouldn't bother.

<< <I>Splash guards >>

Yes, get it.

<< <I>Rear bumper cover >>

Yes, get it.

<< <I>Rear differential protector - Is this worth getting? I don't plan to go off road much. >>

Probably not worth it, then.

I would also recommend getting the rubber cargo area mat. This used to be standard, but is now an option.

Bob
    Bob,

Thanks for the fast reply. By rubber cargo mat, do you mean what Subaru is calling the 'cargo tray'?

Steve,

Thanks - I wasn't sure which was the best place to post this question.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    looks like you're doing fine here - think I'll delete the other ;-)

Steve, Host
    << By rubber cargo mat, do you mean what Subaru is calling the 'cargo tray'? >>

I believe so. It's great if you have dirty stuff to put in the back. You can take it out and hose it off, if need be.

BTW, the rear bumper pad is especially recommended if you have a dog that travels in the cargo area. It will keep the dog's claws from scratching the rear bumper.

What trim level are you considering? X, XS, or XS Premium?

Bob
    XS, manual transmission.

Also, I meant to say the air filtration kit. We have allergic people in the family.
  • ken_from_njken_from_nj Member Posts: 105
    we got the 03 forester prem xs 2 months ago. i wanted a base model w/o any of that extra stuff to keep the $ down but like you - that would be special order w/long delivery time & we needed the car right then. took the car on the dealer lot w/alot of the accessories you mention - below is my opinion of them

Cargo bin or cargo nets (rear, rear seat back, and side) -

we got the cargo area rubber mat, not the cargo tray that includes the flip up/down of the compartments. the mat is good for keeping the cargo area carpet clean. we also received the nets which i could live without and infact have taken them all down except for the one which runs behind the back seat back. guess it depends on what you'll be hauling & if it will rattle around alot - we keep a stroller back there almost constantly so grocery bags fit nicely around it and the stroller keeps them from bouncing all around.

Armrest extension - is it comfortable? Does it provide much more storage than there is without it?

armrest extention gave an additional storage space so there are then 2 compartments in the armrest. the extention part however is not big enough for a cd case but the base storage bin is. my opinion - bad engineering design - you shouldn't have to pay extra for a useful armrest however the key word here is useful, the extention is exactly that, useful, which makes it worth it.

Rear window dust deflector - the salesman told me that this would help to keep snow, etc. off of the back window while driving, improving visibility. Is this true?

i disagree with the salesman here. don't have one and don't think i need it - if snow gets on the back window - i'll just use the wiper to get it off.

Air filter
    it's an internal filter i think
    - not particularly required in my opinion

Splash guards
    - useful - keeps mud/rock nicks off your finish

Rear bumper cover
    - useful - esp. re: that dog post above but not 'absolutely' necessary

Rear differential protector - Is this worth getting? I don't plan to go off road much.
    - not really needed if yr not driving on crappy dirt roads.

I had the same prob as you - every dealer seemed to have one with all these options. ours even also had rub strips on the roof for the roofrack - (useful) and the auto dim/compass mirror. our dealer gave us a pretty good overall deal however just for taking the one he had in stock with all that stuff. what we didn't get but i wish we did in lieu of the cargo nets would be rubber floor mats for front/rear seating - this would be good now with winter coming to protect the carpet better. oh well. good luck. overall - we love the forester - great vehicle
    Thanks, Ken.

btw, this is the history of my search - I went first to Subaru's website, then followed links to local dealers and their inventories. Assuming this info was accurate, the dealers' manual transmission Forester XS's (not sure on the spelling - how does one write the plural of XS?) all had these options:

Features:

Manual Transmission

TWEETER KIT
    CARGO TRAY
    BUMPER COVER
    SPLASH GUARDS
    AUTO DIMMING MIRROR/COMPASS
    CUSTOM TAILPIPE COVER
    SECURITY SYSTEM UPGRADE KIT

This was true of every manual trans. Forester XS I found within 1.5 hours drive. I'm not interested in the sec. sys. upgrade or the custom tailpipe cover. I do want the bumper cover and the splash guards. The tweeter kit, cargo tray, auto dimming mirror/compass - these are fine with me.

However, the other things that I am interested in - can I get accessories through the dealership? Are aftermarket products as good?

Upgrading to the XS premium is out of the question, as we absolutely do not want a moonroof.

Thanks again for advice and comments.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Momof05- I agree with the above recommendations. However, the 18 week lead time sounds like a lot. When I bought my 01 Forester the wait was 6-8 weeks and I'd be surprised if it had changed that much. Either the 03 Foresters are in such demand that the factory can't supply enough of them (unlikely) or the dealer just wants to move his current inventory and is therefore trying to discourage you from ordering (much more likely). If possible, contact another dealer and see if they are more factory order friendly (no reason to pay extra for options you don't want).

All the options you want are available from the dealer's parts dept as accessories and, except for the deflector, you can install most of them yourself fairly easily.

-Frank P.
    that's right - i forgot about the tailpipe thing
    (useless in my opinion) and the security sys upgrade (ok i suppose) ours has that stuff too. guess the bottom line question is what price are they offering you for the one with all the xtras you don't really need? is it dlr invoice after everything added up or more? that i suspect will drive yr decision. personally don't know enough about aftermarket availability/quality to make comments on that.
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I noticed some spots on the driveway where my wife parks the Forester .. humm better have that checked out. OMG ! Just got off the phone with the dealer .. it's leaking from 3 places! The front engine seal, transmission, and head gasket. This last one will require pulling the engine. Well, I'm thinking there goes the Caribbean scuba vacation this year. With 41k on it my 1st question was can you turn back the odometer? Oh, says the services rep., I should have told you, it's all covered under warranty. 5 yrs 50k. Big smile on my face. I was thinking 3/36 but the engine is covered 5/50. Life is good again.
    - Hutch
    Rubberized Cargo Mat I would recommend. I got one to protect my gray carpet that I knew wouldn't be gray much longer without a mat. I also got (later) the heavy rubber floor mats that were competitively priced and fit perfectly. The floor mats are really heavy and probably have a half life of 500 years. You get the front two and rear two for about $50.
    The air filter. I don't know. I have one but I don't have a sensitivity in that area so I cant advise you there.
    The arm rest I like. Its a good place for the elbow and cell phone gadgets. The most practical use was when I carried a bed side board up to be repaired in the Poconos. The arm rest kept the sideboard from hitting the gear shift. If I had to hit the brakes I would have lost the CD player but whats life without risks?
    Hey , off the subject, but do any of you have an answer on my previous question about the SOA Added Security extended warranty offer?
  • hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    Finally got to try out the ABS for the first time, even though I got my Forester in March.

Once was intentional, open road, couple inches of unpaced snow. There was a pulsating or vibrating feeling in the brake pedal, which I expected from earlier posts on the topic. Was a little surprised by the noise, almost a grinding sound. Is that noise due to the brakes rapidly engaging and releasing? Is it normal?

Other times were at icy intersections, unplanned. Was surprised to find myself sliding as I tried to stop, but really did have steering control when I tried that.

Still looking for a big storm here in Colordo Springs so I can find a nice open parking lot to play, I mean to practice.
  • masanmasan Member Posts: 77
    I wanted the custom tailpipe cover on my Forester. It's not very expensive and greatly improves the appearance in my opinion. Take a look at a Forester with the cover and a Forester without the cover before deciding against it.

The cargo tray is useful for containing any spills. You might like the cargo bin, although it would take up a lot of space. If you don't get the bin, you can always get plastic crates or laundry baskets to hold items.The rear cargo net is good for grocery bags, too.

Here's my recommendation:

TWEETER KIT: That would be nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.
    CARGO TRAY: Just about everyone would agree to get this item.
    BUMPER COVER: Yes, unless you get an X without a painted bumper.
    SPLASH GUARDS: Yes, it improves the appearance as well.
    AUTO DIMMING MIRROR/COMPASS: Nice, but not absolutely necessary.
    CUSTOM TAILPIPE COVER: I had to have it.
    SECURITY SYSTEM UPGRADE KIT: No, not for me.
  • mi_forestermi_forester Member Posts: 5
    My 2k2 forester is up for 15K service. The dealer is quoting $120. I have a "Fall Special" service coupon that includes oil change, tire rotation, and 24 point inspection for $33. I think, the "Fall Special" pretty much covers the 15K service listed in the owner's manual. Am I missing anything?

I appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.
    Thanks!
  • spudmanspudman Member Posts: 32
    I bought my new Forester last Thursday and it far surpasses the bare bones '88 Beretta it replaced. Buying a car from the dealer's stock required a little compromise in that I had to take options I didn't particularly want. However, it was nice to buy a car with a fair, fixed internet price with no haggling. Very pleasant experience at Wilkins Automotive.

my options:

upgraded security - didn't really want it and I find it to be a nuisance. I may grow to appreciate it later. While playing with the new remote in the house I accidentally set off the car's alarm.

self dimming mirror - didn't want this either. I must admit the compass came in handy today when I took a wrong turn and had to figure out which roads to take.

bumper cover - I wanted this and really like it.

cargo net - It's probably useful, but already I keep taking it down because it's in the way.

armrest extension - a must have

cargo tray - This is also a worthwhile option.

tweeter kit - I've ordered one to be installed later. The sound system is not bad, but not impressive either.

splash guards - functional and good looking

tail pipe cover - Nice though I wish it were a tad more noticeable

rubber floor mats - hadn't even considered these but recently decided these were a good idea for foul weather. Bought a sturdy, discontinued set at BJ's for 11 dollars.

So far I'm very happy with my decision to buy the Forester. Great visibility and a breeze to park.

spuds
    Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences and advice regarding the various accessory options.

I'm leaning toward one of the dealer lot Foresters, with the options I listed in post #8131 (as though I have any choice!), with the intent to add the other options I want either through the dealer or aftermarket. In particular, I want the air filtration kit, rear window dust deflector, and the rear differential protector. As I said, I don't go offroad very often, but when I do, I want that protection to be there. Besides, it won't hurt anything to have it, right?

As far as the cargo bin vs. nets, I'm leaning toward the nets, as this will leave the cargo area more open, and therefore more versatile, while still providing a neat way to store small items that I don't want rolling around.

Of course, I could always use plastic crates or laundry baskets, as masan suggests, but that's what I do now. In fact, in the back of my van, I keep 2 coolers (for milk and frozen items) and 2 heavy duty storage bins (for everthing else) for Costco/Sam's trips. It would be nice, though, to have a nice new way to organize and store my groceries to go with my nice new Forester.

Can you blame me?
  • hokies1hokies1 Member Posts: 5
    Anybody know about the arrival stateside of a turbo charged Forester. My wife and I were looking to trade in our 99L, but it would kill me to get a new one now only to see a t/c version arrive soon.
    Thanks
    will arrive as an '04 model. Not sure if it will have a 2.0 or 2.5 engine, when it arrives here. It's already on sale in Japan, but with a 2.0 engine (2.0 XT). It's been reported by numerous sources that Subaru has a 2.5 turbo sitting on the shelf, just waiting for a vehicle to stick it in. Let's hope it's our version of the turbo Forester. :)

Bob
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    As a regular (fall release) 2004 model, or an early-release (spring 2003) 2004 model? Thank you.
    where did you get the 2 front & 2 rear heavy rubber floor mats for usd 50? from the dealer or somewhere else? tks - ken
  • ninianninian Member Posts: 16
    You can get a set from 1stSubaruparts.com for about $39. See:

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=22_27&sort=1a&&page=2

These are a worthwhile purchase, better quality than mats you can pick up at chain stores and for not much more $$. However, unlike the cloth mats, they don't have the rubber spikes on the bottom, so they can slide around. If you hook the drivers side mat to the carpet hook, you can wind up yanking this out of the carpeting, if the hole for this hook is at all worn. I wound up reinforcing the carpet edges for this hole with a bit of duct tape - it's covered over all the time anyway right? - to make this problem go away. Enjoy your new Forester.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I thought the powertrain is a 5/60? Am I wrong on that? Mine is a '98 and far out of warranty, so I forget.

I had to do the front seal on mine a few months ago. What a pain in the .... arrrrgggg. Anyway, great that it happened to you while under warranty. BUT, that really would concern me to have all those problems with so few miles. And to all happen at once? Seems really odd. I might be inclined to talk to some Subaru mechanics about that and see what their thoughts are.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    Ken -

After reading these boards last year I put some WeatherTech floor mats on my Christmas wish list and my folks got them for me. They're not cheap, but they hold a lot of water or melted snow and I love mine. Check them out at http://www.weathertech.com/store/prodsearch.asp?item_group_id=3

There are probably some cheaper websites to buy them from, I'm not sure since I haven't shopped for them in over a year. Also, there are a lot of cheaper, similar floor mats, but I don't know how well they last. Anyone out there got cheaper (under $40 for driver & passenger) floor mats they really like?

Steve

• the_schlepperthe_schlepper Member Posts: 14
    Momof05 - I used to have a Toyota truck and used crates to hold junk in the bed. This was nice, except they had to be tied down so they didn't slide all over. I really like the bin. Don't forget, it can be folded down. I do have to take it out if I have to carry very wide items (But then again, I had to take out the crates too). But whatever you do, get the tray - its better than cleaning the carpet all the time.

On another note - How hard is it to install the rear diff. protector. I don't work on my car, except for checking fluids and air. Is there a site that shows the installation process?

Marsha
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I installed the diffy protector. It would be easy except the exhaust gets in the way. You have to unhook the exhaust from two hangers, lower it slowly (I used a jack), and then bolt the protector into place.

I was installing a hitch, so it took maybe an hour or two longer to do that as well.

So, the screen savers have hood scoops, and we still don't? I bet we get a turbo in June 2003. :-)

6/60 Added Security isn't much longer than the 5/60 offered on the powertrain already. Try to get a longer one. Remember they include roadside assistance, which saved me $497 on AAA membership over 7 years. It'll also help resale down the road.

Hutch: glad to hear your dealer covered those oil leaks. That happened at pretty low miles. Usually you see front seals failing at 90k or so. In fact, whenever I do my timing belt, I'll change those too, since the labor is paid for. Cheap insurance. Was yours a '98 or a '99? The problem is supposedly more common on the DOHC Phase I from 1998.

$33 for a Fall Special? Take it, that's cheap for all they do.

-juice
    I got the floor mats from the dealer because they have a cut away for the foot rest that created proplems with the mots (matts off the shelf) that I looked at. Mine have the spikes on the underside so they dont move around.
  • ron3805ron3805 Member Posts: 22
    Momof05 indicated that a special order Forester might take 18 weeks for delivery. Depending on where he lives this may be reality. There has been a LongShoreMan slow down (i.e. STRIKE) on the West Coast which involves Portland Or/Vancouver Wa where most Subaru Foresters enter the US. The Prez has invoked a temporary restraining order on the dock workers, but right now there is such a backlog that many retailers are praying that they are going have Christmas merchandise available Given that scenario it seems likely that auto imports from the Far East are going to be seriously delayed.
    Ron
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Bob, can you tell us some of the sources of info on the turbo coming as an '04? I have been looking but found nothing. Sometimes rumors get reported in many places and then have the appearance of authority, so it would be good to know who the sources are.

The screen savers are on the Subaru International site, not the US site, so they could be from any market.

It would be great if there is a turbo out by late '03, so those of us who have expiring certificates from the old Subaru credit card program can use them to buy one.
    Most orders take 6-8 weeks or so from what I've heard.

Autoweek is one source that confirms a turbo for next year, another is Automotive News. I think C&D has mentioned one too.

-juice
  • tamara6tamara6 Member Posts: 38
    My local dealership hasn't received any new Foresters for a month. I was wondering if it was because of the strike. Does anyone know how long we might have to wait before we get any more to choose from? We've decided to put off our purchase until the end of November in the hopes that there will be more stock then. Maybe we should buy one now, instead. If they don't get more soon, there may not be a lot left by the end of Nov.

Tamara
    It'll be interesting to see if supply is affected significantly.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.