Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Congrats on the new Forester! I'm sure you will enjoy it. Is yours the XS Premium, with the huge moonroof?

Bob
  • mritolamritola Member Posts: 3
    Hi y'all, Juice, Everyone...

I still miss your pages, Juice, Did you ever get them up again?

I posted (me and my long posts) some time ago about my '01 Forester backfiring - well 4 dealerships later, it's a Forester thing is all I hear. Hit 39,000 Miles this weekend - rear-ended a chev truck in June, all kinds of excitment...

So here's all the new about my Silver baby...

1. Backfiring is still there - faint popping sound that you can hear very well next to a freeway median. If it happens right before you pull into a parking spot, it will smell of sulfur...Converter maybe? Subaru doesn't seem to think so.

2. Last month, my engine started misfiring and jerking all over, engine light flashing, the whole nine yards - brought it into Carr Subaru - Supposedly the biggest dealership in the Pacific Northwest...and $250 later they replaced my ignition coil and a spark plug wire that was corroded and arcing out on itself - It was fried, but it had to have started previous to the 36K warranty was up - at time of replacement, I was only at 37853 - and that kind of corrosion doesn't happen in 1800 miles - I am writing to SOA direct now that the manager has refused to return my calls.

3. Rear end story - waiting to get my pictures still, I'll post them - Grandma born in 1915 rear ended me at full force, I of course, had been stopped at the light for at least two minutes and was not watching my rear view by this time, and having a clutch had released my foot from the brake and hit the Chevy tailgate in front of me at full force. I stupidly was not wearing my seat belt, but did not even slam the steering wheel (probably because I didn't have my brakes applied) I got a piece of scaffold into my hood, which broke my grille and tweaked my headlight - and her license plate number imprinted into my rear bumper cover. No air bags (again, I think because of my brakes) - I found the NICE crumple zones in the hood, and the pressure points in the rear bumper - I was VERY IMPRESSED.

Been reading on your reset info - So if Carr reset my computer when they re did the ignition coil, would it have reset my odometer? Why would my gas mileage go from 25 to 22 after replacing this and the 02 sensor - should I wait to reset again? Might it be that they did and that is why my MPG event down?

I love my Forester, and other than dealing with the DEALERSHIPS (I need to learn to rent a car or take the day off work when the Sub needs to go in for maintenance, so I can go to the better service departments on the other side of town). I wouldn't trade it for the world. I rides like my dreams, accelerates like there's no tomorrow, (though I'm waiting for the Turbo) and hugs me into the seat like I'm driving a race car. My butt don't feel like its on the ground like most small cars - and I can live out of the thing for a month if I had to, with the kids too.

All in all, just my two cents - I just get on here once in awhile and put in a VERY long post - Sorry guys, wish I had more time daily.

TTYL,

Amanda
  • capybaracapybara Member Posts: 10
    Rsholland,
    We didn't get the XS premium because the moonroof cuts down on headroom. Also we liked the two-tone look of the XS.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Natalie- Congrats on the nicely equipped Forester 03 XS! Sounds like you got a great deal. I think the silver color combo looks sharp.

Amanda- Sorry to hear about your recent problems. My 01 Forester occasionally has a muffled backfire but it hasn't affected my gas mileage or anything else than I can tell and it's been doing it for well over a year.

Too bad about being rear ended but glad to hear you weren't hurt and the Forester performed admirably in absorbing the forces of impact. At least your accident served as a good example for why you should wear a seat belt at all times since you have no control over actions of other drivers.

Resetting the ECU doesn't effect the odometer. It could temporarily cause you mileage to drop but if that's the case it should return to normal after a couple of tanks. Another possible cause of lower mpg is if your area of country switched to oxygenated gas for the winter.

-Frank P.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    ...to replace the cabin air filter. That's a lie from a dealership that should know better. I know because I looked in my owner's manual and found the instructions to be quite clear and simple. Maybe you were referring to removing the dashboard to get to the fan that clicks to my sanity's dismay. I'm at about 15K miles and will visually inspect my air filters this evening to see if they need replacing. I'm betting they will if the the system works as it should.

I had a cabin air filter in my '99 Mercury Cougar that I changed out at 15K miles. It was in front of the firewall on the passenger side. I had to remove a windshield cowl covering near the passenger-side door hinge to get to it. Of course, it only cost me about $15 from Advanced Auto Parts to replace, along with my time, and I was happy for it. After 15K miles in Georgia (no dust here -- just pollen), it was FILTHY! I think there was a colony of some sort of spore growing in it. I relocated said colony to a nearby dumpster and replaced the filter, of course.

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone know of a way to have a switch installed to deactivate the passenger side airbag on our 2002 Forester S, so that my five year old could ride in the front seat?

After buying a 2002, we had our third child, and it is impossible to get three car seats in the back seat, and its very tight between the two car seats. Now I am stuck having to take a day off to get our 2000 Toyota Sienna fixed.

By the way, no problems with the Forester, got it one year ago.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You have to remove the glove box on the Legacy/Outback, but not the Forester or Impreza, to change the cabin filter.

Welcome back, Amanda. Sounds like a serious accident, glad you are OK. I'm looking forward to the turbo, too. No backfires here, not ever.

drives1 in another accident? Careful out there, folks.

Congrats to capybara. I remember you were cross shopping with the CR-V, glad you chose the Subie. :-)

HVAC clicking? Could there be debris in the vents? I had a leaf in the Miata, drove me nuts. Use a strong vacuum at the base of the windshield and on each vent opening.

So Bob, did you take that trip just so you could justify asking for the self-leveling suspension and the turbo, or what? ;-)

Glad you got the new tires. I got blackwalls, too, seems to be the trend.

Your auto loaded up like that at 21mpg ain't bad. I bet a bigger SUV wouldn't get 18 under those conditions (sleet, hilly, loaded).

I have window tint so the A/C puts icicles on my nose. I usually have to manually cycle it on and off to avoid freezing. And this is in humid DC.

Someone mentioned owner loyalty - Forester easily was best-in-class per Polk registrations. Also, CR used to do a survey asking if buyers would get the same vehicle again if they had the chance, and the Forester was rated best in class. So people tend to like 'em, and then buy another. Not bad.

-juice

I've fit 3 kid seats in the back. Had my daughter and 2 nephews there. Some seats are wider than others, some booster seats in particular are smaller. We had one booster in the middle and two sort of big seats on the sides.

Getting the seat belt on the middle child was tough, but that's it.

About that JD Power survey, folks, Subaru was 12% better than average as a make. Consider that the Forester is the most reliable Soob, too, and that's not too shabby.

I agree that lots of things skew the statistics. A Buick owner isn't exactly pushing his car as hard as a WRX owner. And manufactureres like Honda buy back and replace lemons, so those are essentially not counted in surveys (that may be fair, the person got a new car, but the numbers are further skewed).

Any how, it's just another measure, and Subaru did fine, IMO.

Jag at 280, though? All I hear from owners is loud complaints.

-juice

• masanmasan Member Posts: 77
    Happened to me tonight when I was trying to start my '03. I kept on jiggling the key and eventually managed to start the car. Whew. So what do I do to keep this from happening again?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you try gently "tweaking" the steering wheel back and forth too? Sometimes that's all it takes.

Steve, Host
    Yeah, I've had the steering wheel lock mechanism make the key stick. Wiggle the steering wheel and it should come loose.

-juice
  • pnassmacpnassmac Member Posts: 37
    The '03 Forester manual shows you how to install/change the cabin air filter by removing the glovebox.

It requires the removal of several philipps head screws (9 I think) surrounding the glovebox and the removal of the whole glovebox to gain access to the filter box. The door to the filter box is easily removed to slide in/out the cabin air filter.

I've completed the task once and it takes about twenty minutes to complete the job if you're casual about it.
    Oh, gotcha. The 1998's filter is easy to access, no fiddling with the glove box at all. Just two screws. You'll need a short phillips screw driver, that's it.

-juice
  • ptr2voidptr2void Member Posts: 5
    Well, here in MA we've got our first stretch of bitterly cold weather and snow. We love our 2003 Forester XS, but we seem to be having problems with the windshield washer fluid (or lines) freezing, although the fluid in there is de-icing/anti-freeze treated.

Last night I was able to overcome this by massaging the feed lines for a while, but my wife (who does the lion's -- or lioness' -- share of the driving) will not be able to do this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on overcoming this problem? I have an appointment with service on Monday, but this is a potentially serious safety issue with snow on the way again; the frequent need to remove road salt being of paramount importance on a 90-mile round trip commute!

Thanks!
    Chris
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Chris, I'd say the fluid is not the correct mix for your current weather conditions. Get some additive at your nearest parts store and add it to the reservoir. Be sure to cycle the washer enough to get the stuff in all the lines.
    There is nothing unique to the Subaru that would otherwise cause the lines to freeze.
    Hope this helps.
    The blue stuff is only rated to a certain temperature. Prestone makes a yellow windshield washer fluid that can withstand 20 degrees cooler temps without freezing. I've seen some others too.

They're usually a different color and cost about $2-3 or so, but it's well worth it.

I've been to Boston and it gets bitter cold like we never see in DC. Go for it. I used that stuff even this far south.

Do activate your heated windshield/mirrors, which should help melt the ice off.

-juice
  • ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    Just installed my HID lights, I don't know how I drove so long without them. I can finally see the road!
    Pix?

It's interesting to note that Bob hopped in my Forester and felt the light pattern was better on my '98 vs. his '01 Premium.

And I'd gone back to stock bulbs, too. The Hellas burned out within a year so I gave up on those.

-juice
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Also located here in Mass, with a 2003 x, no problems what so ever with the washer, it has the standard fill from one of the Valvoline oil change places, waiting till it runs out so I can replace it with the de-icer stuff I bought at BJ's. Besides it's not really that cold yet here in the 128 belt.
    Ha! I should've looked at the bottle before I "spoke"! What's in there is a mix of whatever was in the system at delivery and Rain-X "unique spring-summer-fall mix"...DOH!!! That'd explain it, huh?

I did not realize there was an additive available. I will give that a shot.

Thanks to all of you for your assistance!
    Chris
  • dclopperdclopper Member Posts: 2
    Hi all! I've been lurking on these boards for quite a while, and just wanted to say thank you! My wife and I just bought an Java Black 03 Forester XS Premium, in part because of all the great information I've read here. Picked it up at the dealer last night and so far, so good!

I did have two questions that I wanted to get folks' opinions on:

1) Is the Gold extended warranty worth it?

2) My dealer offers "Simoniz system 5" teflon surface protector. It sounds like one of your typical way over priced add-ons, and I've seen comments to that effect in other boards here. Has anyone gotten this treatment on their Forester? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

David
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Just got back from Singapore, Malaysia, HK and Bali. Got to see lovely Turbo Foresters w/ the new body style. Foresters were not commonplace but you do see your fair share. Price for the turbo forester (loaded) in Hong Kong: $30,000 USD and in Singapore: $75,000 USD!!! All the reviews were positive; the general comment is "are you sure this car is Japanese" .. they felt the fit and finish was more northern european. Common complaint was less headroom in rear with giant sunroof. Cheers. Renato
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Which HIDs do you have? Did you buy the housings or just the HID bulbs?

-mike
    The other problem sometimes is that if you put in fluid in the summer and then don't use it often and haven't refilled it the Alchol portion of the mixture will evaporate leaving a non-alcholic mixture that is easy to freeze in the container.

-mike
    David- Opinions differ on the value of extended warranties but if you do decide to get one then the Subaru Gold is the way to go. You should also be aware that the price of any extended warranty is fully negotiable since approx 50% of the MSRP is dealer profit/commission.

For lots more info and opinions you can do a search on this and other Subaru topics.

a. Go to the top left-hand side of this page and select the "Advanced Search" option
    b. Type in "gold extended warranty" in the keyword search box and select "Find messages in discussion Subaru Forester"

You should get back over a dozen results, many of which are just parts of larger discussions.

Re the dealer's "Simoniz system 5" teflon surface protector, I've never heard of that particular one but I'm willing to bet that its primary purpose is to separate you from your money! My guess is that it's nothing more than a fancy name for a wax job.

-Frank P.
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Here is a review of the European Turbo Forester. Forgive me if it was posted before. This 2 liter gets 20mpg overall with 177hp and 181 ft-lbs, of torque. Rated at 0-60 in 7.7 sec, top speed 123mph. That's good enough for me.

http://www.motorbar.co.uk/forest.htm

Normal washer fluid is good to -30 or so. But, it the tank is left low, condensation can dilute it. Also, if it was filled at a service facility during the summer, it may ahve been filled with something other than the year around stuff. I suggest draining or siphoning it and replacing.

For headlamp bulbs for the Foresters using the HB2 (9003 or H4) lamps, try NAPA xenon bulbs (I think they are called super white). I am on my second set. I used the Hellas and one lasted 3 months, one six months. The NAPAs are as bright and my first one failed only after almost 2 years. They are about $10 each US and available from any NAPA dealer.

• jbeckrjbeckr Member Posts: 21
    2003 XS Premium, auto, 3000 miles:

Really enjoy the car. Gas mileage still a bit lower than we had hoped for. 21-22 mpg. Have a chip in the windshield - is there a way to prevent it from turning into an ever-growing crack? About to take it in for the first oil change. Maybe a lighter oil will improve the mileage.

Premium sound system is great at higher volumes. It is very clear and no distortion. That is a worthwhile option, in my opinion.

Our dog loves the car, too.
    James- I think auto parts stores sell kits to repair windshield chips. The key is to catch them before a crack appears. Once that happens it's too late. The Forester XS' heated windshield does have a major drawback in that it is expensive to replace (I think almost $1,000!). FYI: Some states require insurance companies to cover windshields with no deductible.

All dogs love the Forester! Which reminds me, I've got a bunch of nose prints that need cleaning off the back windows.

-Frank P.

P.S. Don't forget to update that profile.
  • padraicsdadpadraicsdad Member Posts: 16
    You guys might be misreading the manual - I think it says to change the cabin AIR every 7500 miles. Seems some folks ride around all winter with the heater air control set to recirculate, so if they smoke and depending on what they eat..... Well, you get the idea.

Anyway, simply open the right-rear window 3.25 inches or more and motor on. :-)

CJ
  • jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    jbeckr, with my '98 Forester, it seemed my gas mileage got better until I reached about 30k, or so. Since then it has maintained 23/24 city and 27/28 highway. There hasn't been much deviation from those estimates.

dclopper, My '98 is black diamond pearl. I think '98 was the only year you could get black without getting the premium model. Also, I bought the extended warranty when I bought my '98. Initially, it was for piece of mind. I had only owned Toyota vehicles and wasn't familiar with Subaru's reliability, although I'd heard it was very good. I've come close to breaking even on the warranty purchase. I had a CV boot crack on a long trip and when I took it in to get repaired they replaced the main oil seal because it had a small leak. All of this was covered under warranty. Other than that and a couple of non-flashing CEL light appearances, I've had no other problems in over 60k.
    I remember once when I sprayed fluid on my windshield, it froze because of the wind chill. So it may not freeze the lines, but it still might freeze.

Congrats, David. I'm totally jealous, your heated seats would come in handy since we just got 6" of snow.

I got the Gold warranty. Cancelling AAA saved me $497 over 7 years, and resale will improve. Those factors help justify the expense.

James: hang in there, the engine is green and mileage usually improves with age by about +2mpg. I average 25mpg now.

Try to ignore the chip. They tried to fix one we had on the old 626, and it cracked. So then we had to replace the whole thing.

-juice
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    Couple years ago when I purchased my Forester S no one seemed to be recommending the premium sound
    system as a quality, "must get" item, so I didn't order it. Is the premium package in the '03 different and significantly better than what was available in the 'O1? If so, would it fit in my 'O1? At what cost?
    Thanks, this board has always been helpful.
  • mritolamritola Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 01 since Aug of 2000 and replaced the windshield this spring with TWO separate cracks in it. Not two months after replacing it again, I've got another, I'm just waiting for this one to cross my eye line to replace it. I think the glass just sits more upright than most vehicles, so the rocks don't bounce off quite as nicely.

This does not change my opinion of my car in the slightest though, because I get absolutely NO glare from a more upward windshield v. those that have a looong dash and a huge slanted windshield.

-Amanda
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    The gas m,ileage in my previous post was a typo. The turbo got 29 miles to the gallon in mixed driving in the test. But, it uses premium fuel.
    Paisan,
    I just got the H4 bulbs. No company makes an aftermarket headlight housing for the forester. It's not that bad though, the beam pattern is nearly identical to the stock on, not like some of the horror stories I've heard about HID's not working with regular headlights.

Also, someone's selling front strut tower bars on Ebay for the impreza. I think they work with the forester too. And they're only $23, yup twenty three dollars.
    Hi again!

The windshield washer additive seemed to do the trick. Thanks so much!

It's snowing now, and my wife just returned from work (46 miles) to say that it performed very well in the snow--she said she could tell it was slippery, though, from all the other "idiots" :)

It's interesting that she thought that the heated seats were silly until it got really cold...she tried them and now they're the best thing since sliced bread! :)

Thanks again!
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Joseph,

My '01 Forester has an aftermarket system that I had put in and it sounds great. My wife's '02 Outback has the Subaru premium sound package (tweeters, subwoofer and upgraded speakers), as well as the 6 cd headunit that was removed from my Forester, and it sounds nearly as good, for less than 1/2 the cost of my system. It plays loud and without distortion. It's my guess that the Subaru premium sound package would sound just as good in any of their vehicles.

Len
  • jackleungjackleung Member Posts: 79
    I got one too. I love it but have 2 problem w/ it.

1. Sometimes, it require me to turn the switch several times to make the light(s) on.

2. The beam pattern is high on both side but not for the front (like that --> \__/). Some oncoming traffic will think I turned on the high beam and flash me w/ theirs.....

BTW, anybody knows if there is bull bar for Forester?

Rgds,
    Jack
    There is a problem with some of the older HID bulbs because the focus isn't in the right place. Luckily, the set I have does have the arc situated where the original filament would be, so the beam pattern is pretty similar to stock. I think most of the newer ones don't have that problem anymore.

Jack, where did you buy them from? It sounds like you have a problem in your ballast. I haven't had any trouble with mine yet, the only quirk is when you first turn them on, they'll start out dim and slowly become brighter in the first 5 seconds. But I think that's standard on any HID.
  • jackleungjackleung Member Posts: 79
    I got one too. I love it but have 2 problem w/ it.

1. Sometimes, it require me to turn the switch several times to make the light(s) on.

2. The beam pattern is high on both side but not for the front (like that --> \__/). Some oncoming traffic will think I turned on the high beam and flash me w/ theirs.....

BTW, anybody knows if there is bull bar for Forester?

Rgds,
    Jack
  • miamihawkmiamihawk Member Posts: 6
    I'm thinking about replacing my upgraded factory speakers since I've blown them. Is it easy to take the tweeters out ? I will probably go with some components up front and put an amp under the front passenger seat to get a better sound. I know the door speakers are easy to replace but don't know about the tweeters. This is an 02 car.
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    re post #8725, did you say something that got you put in the dungeon? Or did you use invisible font? I fear the SOA censors are afoot!

Ross
  • kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    Folks,

finally got around to write a bit about our new forester, almost 1700 miles already on the odo!

we took a trip to Arizona for thanksgiving and the car performed great! I smiled all the way, my only complaint being the car sagging in the back from the bikes on the hitch-mounted rack. i hope the taller springs (going in in a couple of weeks) will help to fix that, as no self-leveling suspension made it to North America (why, SoA, oh why?).

the greatest accomplishment was getting 30mpg on a nice desert highway (270.3 miles on 9.03 gal of 89 Chevron). that was a pleasant surprise, considering the Yakima Rocketbox on the roof (filled w/light camping gear). we also had a chance to test a bit of Foresters 4x4 worthiness in the hills just E of Tucson. No clearance problems, though i did manage to rip one clip from the stiff plastic mud guards (should be rubber).

for a change of driving conditions, we are headed to Taos this weekend (yes, more snow in NM!) i am taking chains and a snow shovel just in case!

Jack, i searched for a bull bar for a Forester, but couldnt find one in US ( in Australia make some nice ones). I could live without one, if there was a way to mount driving lights on the bumper, any ideas?

one last note, i noticed that when i turn on the radio there is a static noise coming from (it seems) passenger door speaker. strangely enough, when i flip to CD and then back to radio, the noise stops. it is most noticeable on news, etc. since music tends to drown it. anyone else experienced this??

thanks!

Did you guys loose your High-beams? I did a conversion using Hypov's old HID bulbs and ballasts from the driving lights he had installed on his Outback into my SVX. Mine have the similar problem like Jack's, in that they are high on the sides and dark in the center. We are going to put in some spacers where the bulb mounts to move the light source further back to see if that makes it any better.

-mike
    I have a nudge bar from australia on my Trooper. Great place to mount lights. They do make a setup for the forester. Check em out at http://www.ecb-usa.com

-mike

• xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    Having just shoveled snow off my car, I got to thinking about how much nicer the weather is in Florida and realized just how much I hate brushing snow from cars.

I was thinking the Forester is 6 inches shorter than my car and the rear window comes straight down so there should be a lot less surface area snow to remove.

OTOH while there is no snow in Florida, there are Hurricanes, gators, and snakes...
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Looks good! :) What kind of roof carrier is that?

BTW, if US-spec Foresters had the "self-levelling rear suspension," found just about everywhere else, you wouldn't have a sagging rear end...

Bob
    Is the sagging from sagging of the springs? or is it sagging due to items inside? If it's sagging due to the springs, then the self leveling suspension would only hide a deeper problem of failing springs.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.