Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• jackleungjackleung Member Posts: 79
    What I don't understand is why we are missing so many goodies as Japanese model ... :(

I really wants the GPS and HID as options for US model.

Jack

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Those should be stand-alone options. I don't want to pay for those. I'll take a $3 map and my vision is fine now after LASIK. That's $2 grand I would definitely not be willing to pay, personally.

In fact, why are HIDs so popular? Can't you guys see the roads with regular lights? Shouldn't you get your eyes checked, instead of buying hyper-bright lights that shine directly in the face of Miata drivers like me?

But seriously, I'd spend my $2 grand on a moonroof and the H6 or a turbo.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I rememeber taking a defensive driving course. The instructor was an arogant, ex-cop. He mentioned not to "flick" our lights at people we think have their brights on. It is probably our eyes and we should go get glasses. I distinctly remembering a rash of reports in CR at that time about cars being delivered with misaligned lights. Kept my mouth shut.

Greg
    I make my comments tongue-in-cheek because I've had so, so many X5s and Navigators pull up 2 inches behind my bumper and basically blind me completely.

They should regulate the height of headlights, it's ridiculous, in some cases they are above my eye level.

-juice
    MD has laws that apply to headlight height for cars, I'm not sure about trucks, or if they even have to mee the same standards.

Any how, until they sort it out I'd rather not see HIDs proliferate further. DRLs that use high beams are bad enough.

-juice
  • ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    Juice, I think the problem is more with the height of the headlight and aiming, than it is with the actual HID's. There should be a law or something for a standard headlight height, I think there is, but most people ignore it. I get blinded by most of those SUV's too in my forester. But once I set up my rear mounted 2million candlepower spotlight, I think I'll solve that problem. j/k

But I'll never go back to standard headlights, maybe it is my eyesight or the crappy stock headlights, but I can see so much more with HID's.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...but I can see so much more with HID's.

But I can see so much less with your HID's glaring! :-)

tidester, host
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Isn't that the reason why some HIDs have self-leveling mechanisms?

Ken
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    how with all the laws related to safety equipment in vehicles, that HIDs can be legal. They completely blind other drivers. Especially the one you are driving behind.

I understand that in other countries they are self-adjusting for direction, which might partially solve the problem, but still, if I am in a civic hatchback or something and you are behind me in an SUV, your headlights are right at the height of my eyes, and even if they are directed correctly, they will still be blinding me...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bikerjoebikerjoe Member Posts: 5
    I'm not expecting dealers to stock a car with every conceivable option. My main concern is that cetain things like color, sunroofs, transmission, and leather should be stand alone items and not linked to specificly packaged cars.
    I find it absolutely rediculous that selecting a manual transmission eliminates the lether package option. Also, why should you have to pony up for the premium package if all you want is the sunroof. The forester sunroof is a unique selling item. I'm not sure if there is an equivelent aftermarket alternative out there.
    And in regards to dealers stocking every concevable option; maybe they don't have to stock every car but shouldn't they have the ability to special order one.
  • jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    I agree that Subaru should expand its offerings. The sunroof option should definitely be offered on all the models. My wife and I like the value of the X model but would like the sunroof. I've e-mailed Subaru about this very topic. Personally, I like the basic grey cladding on my vehicles. It's very easy to maintain.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Do you realize that every time you add an option you double the number of "models?" :-)

tidester, host
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    bikerjoe,

" Personaly, I want a two tone, blue, with sunroof, manual transmition, and leather."

I am fully with you. On of the most popular combination, and I want it too - except, it is not offered. While I understand options, what Subaru does and how they select the options does not make any sense. It looks as if for the Forester options they hired the same marketing company that helped them plan the Baja...

I'll also need to get the leather and sunroof after-market, unless they change their selections for the turbo model.

And juice, white pearl rules! You are right, not much to choose from for the sunshine states.

Yeah, which springs? I want to know, too.

- D
  • kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    not sure if somebody posted this already, but there's a great 32-page document detailing the technical aspects of our great machines. It can be downloaded from subaru.com.au. Once again, it's the aussies...Thanks!

juice: i got the springs through iSR, $360, and they have "King Springs" stickers on them. tomorrow i find out how much the local shop would charge me to have them put in. they were hesitant at first, because as a rule they don't install "consumer provided" parts. Could i really do it in the driveway?

• gvmelbrtygvmelbrty Member Posts: 64
    Kajko, thxs for the pdf link at ausie subaru. That's a pretty cool document.

So, the low-range is incorporated inside the transmission, without the need for an external transfer case. Sounds like it would be rather simple for Subaru America to offer us this trans, just bolt it right in :).

All manual transmission models are
    equipped with a dual range transmission
    with a 20% low range reduction which can
    be selected on the move and features full
    synchromesh action. This means when extra
    pulling power is required quickly without
    loss of momentum, simply depress the
    clutch and flip the low range lever.
    **The transmission case houses all five
    forward and the reverse gears along with
    the reduction and AWD transfer gears in
    the one unit.** This provides for a compact
    low cost transmission with a symmetrical
    drive line without any complex gear
    arrangements or countershafts.

Those Self Leveling Rear Struts look rather appealing as well. Obviously more prone to problems than a standard strut, but also more durable than the old rubber bladder system. I was considering mounting my mnt. bikes on a hitch-rack like Kajko did for his Arizona trip. I can see how self leveling struts would really make a diff, keeping in mind during a trip the back cargo area would be full of stuff too.

So, why don't we get these here? They seem like a perfect combo for a towing package. ... Maybe these are not features female Forester buyers in the US care about (who make up a big chuck of the Forester demographic)?? Maybe SUV's in Australia still maintain a rugged, highly utilitarian image, as was the case here up until the mid-to-late 80s?

I guess that takes us back to the old, 'Couldn't these be offered as options?' argument.

-tom
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    They only appear to be more glaring than std. headlights. I think it's more a mental thing than anything. The auto-leveling systems on the X5 IMHO is horrible. With all the bumps in the roads here the X5 constantly looks like it's flashing it's lights cause the auto-leveling system is jostled around as it tries to correct (I think they sit in a fluid of some sort?)

The headlights in my Trooper are so bad, I only wish that there was an HID replacement reflector system out there for it. I had to put on 2-Hella 4000s linked to my high-beams in order to see anything at night with em.

Around here I find more annoying than HIDs are people who leave their brights on for no reason. Can't wait to get my trailer hook-up lights on the trooper so that I can give em a dose of their own medicine! :)

-mike
  • speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    Perhaps my eyes aren't as sensitive as most people's, but doesn't dimming your rear-view mirror take care of the problem of high-beams or HID's from behind you? Whenever someone is blinding me from behind, flipping the switch on the mirror has always taken care of the problem for me.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    That sort of works on 2 lane roads. However, if you are on freeways, and someone is in the lane on your left, their headlights can be just as blinding in your side mirror. I even have side view mirror problems when lifted trucks are a couple of inches behind me on 2 lane roads. There seems to be lots of lifted trucks, cars with headlights misaligned or brighter than normal headlights.
    Yep. I have that problem sometimes too. On the Trooper I can hit a button and fold in my side view mirrors in those cases :) Liberal use of the brake pedal also can help as well. ;)

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Thanks for the link. Great find! :)

I agree. In fact, I've been saying for some time now, that we should get the dual-range tranny and self-levelling rear suspension. We used to get the dual-range tranny, but SOA pulled the plug several years back. :(

Bob
    that Oz-spec Forester PDF. Some interesting info there...

Of particular note, is that the self-levelling rear suspension, found on their XS model, is an oil (hydraulic) unit, and does NOT have air bladders to worry about. :)

Also, the dual-range 5-speed DOES have "shift-on-the-fly" capability, from high range to low range! The gear reduction being only 20%. :)

Bring both these features over here SOA!

It was also mentioned that the Hill-Holder clutch is particularly helpful in towing situations, when starting off on a hill. I sort of assumed that to be the case.

Bob
    It's true, the biggest problems are aim and height, but with HIDs, the results are far more blinding. Plus, what about driving over the crest of a hill? Then they shine right into your eyes. And no dimming mirror would help that.

BMWs are the worst offenders, paisan. No doubt. I flick the mirror to dim it AND use my hand to cover the side mirror. Still, remember my top it down, so it looks like the cops are shining a massive spot light in my interior, LOL!

If you have them, please just make sure they are aimed properly and not mounted too high.

Reminds me of something. Last week a UPS truck was behind me at a light, I had my top down. He actually had the courtesy to turn his lights off! Just the headlights. I was so shocked, that had never happened before. I gave him a thank you wave.

Sounds like we could narrow it down to unpainted cladding or monotone, and offer a moonroof on both, and that would make people happy.

Kajko: lots of people are curious to see that. Please take before and after pics. Also, please measure the height to the top of the fender, to see the actual lift caused by the new springs.

Thing is, I may not be able to justify selling Sandy. If I keep her a lot longer I'd consider those springs too. I'm curious about ride quality, and suspension articulation too.

Looking forward to a full report, Special Agent Kajko!

-juice
  • hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    I don't read Japanese, so hard to tell exactly how that version differs. Was interesting, though.

Navigation might be nice, but at $2000 + or - I'm not sure I'd get that anyway. From my persepctive, when it might earn its keep would be when I run into contstruction/traffic jams in unfamiliar locations. Hopefully it would provide an easy way out of those messes. Otherwise, I think Juice's approach of the $3.00 map (or free map from AAA) is the way to go.

I couldn't tell what the item below the Nav photo was. Looks somewhat like a cell phone in a cradle, but not enough buttons to be a cell phone. Somewhat related, I tried to paste the phone in here, but couldn't make that work. How do you get a photo in a message?

Even though we're not getting all the goodies some other markets get, I'm still happy with my '02.
    $2000 at MSRP, maybe $1400 via a wholesaler.

If you have the Chase card, you might save up that much in a year or two, and get the Nav for free.

-juice
  • hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    I have the Chase Card. I'll probably use the coupons for routine service, at least the major ones. (What's the 15k service usually run?). Guess if I have to have GPS I could always go with a less expensive hand held model or PC-based model (I think they're out there).

Beyond that, I'll probably try to save some for a down payment on the '06 Forester, which by then should have the dual range tranny and maybe a six speed too, self levelling rear shocks, variable valve timing, and a little more power.
    I don't know because I've done it all myself, at least so far.

I should get a Chase card. Really, I think I will.

-juice
  • ninianninian Member Posts: 16
    I know it won't deal with glare in sideview mirrors, but I've become a huge fan of the self-dimming mirror I swapped in a few months ago. Got it more for the compass feature - the poor man's GPS. In spite of her many terrific qualities, my wife has little sense of direction, and if she gets turned around in a strange place and the sun isn't out, she's in trouble. Anyhow, the variable dimming feature does a terrific job of taking care of bright lights from straight back, no matter how bright they are. Seemed like an extravagance when we bought it, but I wouldn't live without it now.

While we're on vehicle safety issues, let me add those spare tires mounted on the rear of other mini-utes, which limit visibility behind the vehicle. I watched a Sportage back into the grille of my Forester a few weeks back, while trying to get out of a parallel parking space. Fortunately did no damage I could detect. (Bottom of grille seems not to be attached to anything now, but maybe that's normal, folks? Didn't notice one way or the other before the bump.) If Subaru can figure out how to get these tires into the well, with a can cooler to boot, why can't other manufacturers? Maybe Subaru - and people who buy Foresters - are a little bit less interested in maintaining an SUV image and more concerned about safety? I think we all deserve a pat on the back for this. :-)
    Don't blame the gun, blame the people!!!

I've driven lots and lots of miles and park in manhattan with my rear mounted spare tire, never once hit another car with it! People just don't pay attention, these are the same people who would smack your car anyway. The reason for them being mounted in the rear is many fold:

1) Off roading you don't want to be digging it out from a well below the cargo floor of your vehilcle (you might have to unload all your cargo)

2) Can't get mounted underneath cause if you get a flat you might not be able to lower the tire down from underneaths

3) Inside doesn't work cause then your utility goes out the door.

-mike
    I do think the idea of an auto-dim mirror with compass would be really cool. Don't have the time to wire it myself - two little tikes at the juice household right now take up all my time (not that I mind), but I'd consider it as an option next time around.

-juice
    the rear bumper extended beyond the tire. Unfortunately, most if not all, don't. I think the Land Rover Disco has a pretty decent rear bumper. I think(?) it sticks out to the edge or beyond the tire, IIRC.

Bob
    That's what the hitch receiver is for. ;-)

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    FWIW I saw a Forester with an externally mounted spare in France last week. The spare was mounted on a swing-away metal rack that hinged at the passenger side and extended past the bumper. I have no idea whether it was aftermarket or a dealer-installed accessory.

Ed
    I have seen some that mount to the hitch receiver, that was on a Jeep (aftermarket). But what would you put in the empty well?

-juice
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    In France last week? Where? I'm going next week to spend 16 days touring southern france and northern spain. I can't wait! I'll look for that Forester with the external spare! :)

Brian
    Brian: it was in Paris. I saw it near the Musee d'Orsay. It was a first-gen, base model in silver. Ironically, most of the Foresters I saw in Italy were black. ;-)

Ed
    juice, i thought about the extra room such an arrangement would provide for trips (hitch mounted spare tire). I would fill the space with: spare 12V battery (very handy), first aid kit, water filter, and perhaps a collapsible water tank. A Penfold pack would be handy (check Subaclub of QLD under Recovery & Safety). For day to day driving though, i would leave the spare where it's at.

BTW, the shop quoted me $480 to get the springs installed, including wheel alignement afterwards. ouch!
  • texan5texan5 Member Posts: 23
    In the event of even slight rear collision, you would have to replace the entire rear door with this setup. Looks cool, but....
    texan5, agree completely, that's why it would be handy for cramming more things for a trip off the track, yet not practical for monday-friday...

So, i was comparing the stats between the Australian specs and US models (following the link i posted) of the Forester 03 X:
    US >>> Aus
    Mass: 1401kg >>> 1372kg
    Payload: 408kg >>> 578kg
    Towing: 1089kg >>> 1400kg (w/brakes)
    Roof: 68kg >>> 80kg

I remember that a while back someone mentioned the US lawyers' influence in this. I realize that it might be true, but i would think the self-leveling suspension might also have something to do with this. why would i be able to load the forester with 375lbs more in Australia? or stick another bicycle on the roof?
    It sorrt of looked like the one on the red car, but IIRC the wheel was closer to center and the tubes were round. My memory could be tricking me because I only saw the spare as the car drove past. The spare was covered as on the white car and the cover had the words "Subaru Forester" in the corporate font and the six-star logo imprinted on it.

Ed
    Folks it's a BIG BIG Myth about replacing the rear doors. I know several people who have been rear ended with rear mounted tires, and NONE of them have had any damage to their rear doors due to getting hit. Most of the times, the car behind them brake-dove and their bumper hit the bumper of the car with the rear mounted tire. The few that did get the impact on the rear tire sustained only tire damage, none to the door. In fact the only times I've seen the rear door get tweaked is in an accident where the rear would have been pushed in anyway and in those "Theoretical" backing into a pole tests.

-mike
  • aloonialooni Member Posts: 1
    Well, after not quite one year of parking in the remote spaces in parking lots, my Forester was rear-ended while parked! A GMC Envoy with a trailer hitch backed in to the rear of my Forester pushing it 12 feet forward out of its spot!

My concern is the transmission (auto) and the AWD. The parking brake was on, the car was in park. What sort of damage to the drive systems can happen with such an impact?

The car was driveable afterwards. I didn't notice anything unusual. The rear bumper was pretty much destroyed. The tail gate was pushed in and mangled.

Anyone else with a similar experience?
    If the parking pin didn't snap I wouldn't worry about it too much.

-mike
  • lspivalspiva Member Posts: 49
    I would never install the rear mounted tire on my Forester. A year ago, I witnessed of the accident when Nissan Pathfinder rear-ended Toyota RAV4. The accident occurred during the rush hour on San Francisco freeway 101. If anyone live down here knows that this freeway is a "parking lot" during rush hour, so the speed of the collusion wasn't greater than 5-10MPH. But guess what, Toyota had an extensive damage to the rear door and a shattered rear glass window. The tire cover though was not damaged, but it seems like it was trying to jump inside the car. So...no outside rear mounted tire for me. Leo
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    ...yellow lights that they use in France and Germany? I was in France for a stupid marching band trip (great way to ruin a kid's cultural experience overseas) back in 1991, and I found it very difficult to look out the windows of the tour bus we were on with those bright yellow headlights that the French have on many cars.

Are those legal in the US, because I've seen some aftermarket modifications on German luxury cars that have them. Sort of do-it-yourself jobs on older BMWs. Those, in my mind, are worse than HIDs.

Personally, HIDs are much better, I think than regular headlights, and I don't mind squinting or getting glasses if need be. I like driving behind an Acura, for example, equipped with them, because I can see a helluva lot more detail ahead of me.

My 2 cents.

Later,
    burnsmr4

P.S. - If I ever catch a GMC Envoy owner ramming my Subaru Forester around in a parking lot, someone's gonna find a GMC Envoy owner yanked out of said Envoy and run over by said Envoy before I leave the parking lot for home. :-D
  • ninianninian Member Posts: 16
    Paisan's comments about the utility of keeping spare tires outside are well taken, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go along with his initial point. To carry this further, people with guns do more damage than people without guns. (Let's not start a thread about gun control here, please; that's not where I'm going.) I'd rather see someone back something into my bumper, which is designed to take some punishment, than to back a tire into my grille, which isn't.
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I was driving last month had adjustable headlights. There was an knob just left of the steering wheel which allowed me to alter the "pointing" of the lights. I'm afraid, though, this feature would be widely abused here as many people do not taking driving seriously and have a "I don't care about the other person" attitude (especially SUV drivers).

Greg
    Unfortunately "bumpers" on SUVs are not required to pass the 5mph test, which means that chances are the said bumper will just be sheet metal and/or steel w/o any shocks and this bumper will go right into your grille, causing more damage to your car than a relatively soft tire.

I just don't see the reasoning behind not having them there.

-mike
  • texan5texan5 Member Posts: 23
    The bumpers on the Forrester are the best of the small SUV group. See IIHS data for 5mph collision repair costs, for example. I'd give the bumper a chance to do what it is designed to do, before I rely on the strenth of the rear door.

Besides those swing out tires are a huge pain in everyday life. It's a nuisance to move them every time you need access to the rear compartment and your hands are going to get dirty every time you are going to do it. A friend of mine has a car with this setup, I know.

texan
    Hmm interesting, Never got my hands dirty on my rodeo swing away and my truck got DIRTY! :)

-mike
This discussion has been closed.