Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
  • j0elboyj0elboy Member Posts: 32
    Idon't know about the rest of the USA, but my insurance rates only went up about $100.00 for a year. This when I traded in '99 forester S for '03 WRX. Of course I'm in NE Ohio and pay about 1/3 what I'd pay in home state of NJ! I hope the rates generally stay in this range. We'll see as the popularity of the car grows.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That would be $300 per year in NJ, or $200 per year in MD.

But you guys are onto something. The Forester is our cheapest-to-insure vehicle. The Miata carries a performance car surcharge, and Legacy costs more than the Forester for some reason.

So a Forester XT should still be reasonable.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    can definitely get you in a lot of trouble fast. If you plan on nailing the throttle, you need to focus attention on where you are and where you are going. By the time you lift off the gas and get to the brakes, it may be too late to slow down and/or make course corrections.

Craig
    I think the 2.5l will be more linear, far less peaky than the hyper-boost 2.0l engine.

-juice
    I'm sure the insurance cost has to do with the age of the the vehicle and it's value. My wife's 03 Forester costs more to insure than my 03 WRX and my 02 LL Bean. In terms of age and appraised value, it makes sense. When I paid taxes in December, the Forester was appraised higher than the LL Bean.

So, I can see how your new Legacy costs more to insure than your 98 Forester just based on book value alone.

Craig
    Let me see the break down of the charges...

You're right. Liability on both Subies is $137 (for 6 months), the Miata is $169. Silly because how much damage is that featherweight really gonna do to other people?

PIP is also higher on the Miata.

Collision/comprehensive is higher on the Legacy, probably because of the book values, as you noted. Miata is the cheapest in that regard, even with an easy-to-steal soft top.

Overall the Forester ends up the cheapest, but not by much. I imagine a turbo would be maybe 10% higher, or $60 per year. Easy to manage.

-juice
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Really interesting about the insurance rates. Here in the north of Boston area my 03 Forester costs me almost $300 more than my wife's 03 Outback Wagon. Of course around here the 99,00,and 01 Foresters all made the "high theft" list. Haven't seen any numbers for the 02's and I don't imagine there are any for the 03's yet. Maybe they're surcharging me "just in case".
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    probably too site specific for general help, but thought I would chime in on the insurance angle comparing our '02 MPV and '03 Forester in central California. Statefarm has us with our "portfolio" etc perks and discounts at $787/yr on the MPV and $806 on the Forester, same deductibles and insurance coverage. Apparently the Mazda is a "16" and the Forester an "18" at this point in time. Maybe someone with the scoop can define these numbers, the State Farm gal couldn't explain.

John
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "But like most automakers, Subaru needs to attract younger buyers, and that means developing style and speed to go along with its image of dependability.

To get there, Subaru has:

A new turbocharged Forester sport-utility vehicle that adds about one-third more horsepower.

A more aggressive marketing campaign for its Impreza WRX performance car.

A new chief designer, Andreas Zapatinas, who previously worked for BMW and Alfa Romeo, to add style to a new generation of Subarus. "

Subaru craves young buyers (USA Today)

Steve, Host
  • usa26usa26 Member Posts: 11
    Do you guys have a specific brand of gasoline you like to use? Also, do you find that premium gas enhances the performance in your subies?
  • zigzag7239zigzag7239 Member Posts: 40
    I was considering an '03 Forester XS automatic but, having read about the new auto on the XT, I'm thinking of waiting. Does anyone have any insight as to the nature of this new transmission, and will it come on the '04 X/XS as well as the XT?
  • j0elboyj0elboy Member Posts: 32

http://www.spimotorsports.com/TokyoAutoSalon.htm

yes, you'll love these foresters...

j0elboy
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    everyone here too is wondering. :)

-Dave
  • jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    I've always used Chevron Regular Unleaded. I've never noticed a performance difference when I've tried Plus or Premium. My Forester is almost 5 years old and has had no gas related problems to date.
    Cool link, Steve.

usa26: yes, whichever is the cheapest! LOL

Seriously, though, I do shop by price and to some extent convenience (pay at the pump). Last tank yielded almost 28 mpg with winter blend fuel, woo-hoo!

Chevron does put some Techron in every grade but they are rare near where I live.

First STi (Subaru Technica International), then SPT (Subaru Performance Tuning), now SPI? A hybrid of those two? ;-)

-juice
  • wallabywallaby Member Posts: 2
    An Australian version Forester has just been rated at 5 stars in results just released, the first vehicle tested 'downunder' to achieve this.
    Of course you have to buy the top of the line model with side airbags...Hopefully a standard component next update!

http://motoring.racv.com.au/racvm/whichcar/bestbuysarticle.cfm?ID- =DFA89AB6-191E-4123-9C1042F7A64041E6
    Solid results. Only the pedestrian score is bad. Don't hit anyone!

But it's good to see straight As in the side impact scores. The Vue is the only other small SUV to protect the head (and it's optional, not standard).

Now that I think about it, the Freelander might, I'm not sure. But that's in a different price range.

-juice
  • dulesdules Member Posts: 37
    We have a new 03 XS. When we were getting the tour of the new car from the salesman on our way out of the dealership, he mentioned that if we pull down the strap for the center seat belt from the ceiling and hook it into its base, it cannot be undone - ever.

Is this true? You can never, ever put that seatbelt strap back up into the ceiling once you've taken it out?

Thanks!
  • ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    Maybe you just misunderstood him, or he got was confused. If the 03's are similar to the older models, the center seatbelt can be undone, but there's no button like the other buckles. You have to use a key to press inside a slot. Probably for safety or some reason, and maybe so you can't mix up the buckles. But it can be undone, and you can put it back into the ceiling when you don't need it. If he tells you you can't remove the headrest either, I'd find a different salesman.
    I think the salesman is clueless. We pull our center belt down from the ceiling when needed, and then release it with a key and tuck it away into the ceiling again. Piece of cake.

Craig
  • dmcbuddmcbud Member Posts: 14
    Hoping for some advice.....

Close to pulling trigger on Forester - likely to be XS w/ Premium Package. Like the leather interior, but would have to resort to auto trans, which would be a first for me. My wife is lobbying for auto tranny as well - but i'm stubborn and have always liked the 5 speed driving experience. Test drove auto this weekend, and was actually pretty impressed with pick-up (unlike when i tested AWD Pontiac Vibe with auto - WEAK!).
    Any sentiment on merits of "Continuous All-Wheel Drive" vs. "Active All-Wheel Drive" associated with different transmissions? Don't want to sacrifice safety or comfort. Thanks for any info, folks.
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Brands are meaningless. This was brought home to me just the other day, when I saw a truck labeled with a local distributor's name filling the tanks at a Sunoco station. Supposedly, gas that comes through a pipeline is separated into lots based upon brand, but in reality, many people believe that you can never tell the origin of the gas you are getting. Add to this, that some gasoline companies have been investigated for labeling regular gas as premium ( I recall that Getty used to claim that ALL of its gas was premium, but when various local authorities investigated, they found that ALL of the gas was, in fact, regular.

Frankly, gas is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you will get. (Sorry, I really didn't like that film, but it seemed like a good analogy).
  • sfdriversfdriver Member Posts: 35
    I've been putting the cap (outside down) on top of my car when I refill. Now I noticed the manual mentions a filler cap tether, with a picture of it on page 7-5. Is this standard on an X?
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    There is a set of Forester wheels on ebay, the current bid is $28 (not mine). Don't know if that's for one or 4. They are 16". Would be good for fitment of winter tires. I was looking out of curiosity,as I will want the same thing in about a year, for an XT.
    Cheers
    Pat
    We should create a "stupid salesman file" for times like this. Jeez.

Pat: wish I needed a set. They'll probably go for $250 or so by the end of bidding. Any less would be a steal for a set.

Heck, if it's one let me know, I could make it a full size spare.

Bob: interesting, but $3 grand? That's huts. My tent was $40 or so, and inflatable mattress costs nothing. I wonder what the option costs on the Aztec, probably a tiny fraction of that.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've not done much of it, preferring to put a tent up. But after reading some of Graham's travelogues, I think this would be a great setup with all those nasty critters Down Under!

Steve, Host
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    is in Oz-dollars. Also there is is stove and other items involved. The picture didn't show some of the items, but they're listed in article.

I would think you can buy whatever you want, and leave other items out, if you so desire.

Bob
    Oops, that's still about $2k right? But IIRC the Disco has a clamshell for $7k.

-juice
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Regarding the picture of the tether on page 7-5, it's what I have on my 03 X. Must be standard as I didn't get any options except auto tran.
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    The older models had the tether. My '98 also has an assembly on the inside of the filler door that the cap can be screwed into to hold it while the tank is being filled. But it has a relatively sharp edge and can cut someone who is not careful.
  • rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    I'm trying to think of a reason to keep the cover that is under the engine in place. So far it seems to do nothing but get in the way of oil changes. The dealer in fact leaves the pins on the outboard sides off which leaves a flapping piece. I don't see that the engine compartment is any cleaner. Other Forester owners have any experience leaving this item off? Thanks, Bob L
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The undercover I believe aids in cooling (forcing the air up over the radiator) and also prevents water and muck from getting into the engine compartments.

-mike
  • nypaulnypaul Member Posts: 35
    First, sorry about the double post.
    I just finished looking at the article and pictures. While I guess it would work there seems to be a lot of short comings. I think I'll just hold on to my 1971 VW bus that is set up as a camper. It's got an ice box, potable water and sink, sleeping for 4, stand-up head room, a table to eat at, as well as plenty of cabinet space. And while it's the slowest thing on the road that's OK. Now all I have to do is finish installing the new engine into it and I'll be ready for another camping season. Have a good weekend everybody!
    I wonder about that too -- that cover is a pain in the A to get off, much worse than the one on my Outback. I think you could probably take off the oil filter access door without causing any trouble, as long as you leave the large cover in place. I will check it out at my next oil change.

Craig
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    Ho Hum. In the Great state of NJ, it is illegal to pump your own gas. Move up here, and that will solve your tether problem. :)

We even have a Texeira's bakery.

- Lou
  • padraicsdadpadraicsdad Member Posts: 16
    Hey Coach, that's an oxymoron, isn't it? Or, maybe it's a reference to our oxy-governor. McGriefy free in 2003!

CJ
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I voted for Shundler!

Len
    I love NJ! Sure it has problems, who doesn't? At least our state motto isn't like our neighbor to the west, "Pennsylvania - Slightly more exciting than watching grass grow.", or West Virginia's - "Thank God we're not Mississippi!" :)

And just think of all the Subaru dealers we have, an obvious indication of our high class of citizenry. :) At the parking lot at work, I count a 10% Subaru saturation level.

- Lou

P.S. Remember the excitement of election nights here, too, when it ain't over till the cemetery vote is in! lol
  • padraicsdadpadraicsdad Member Posts: 16
    Lou, I think you failed to mention the very best quality of our wonderful state, New Jersey's dedication to the free market system. In New Jersey, everythings's for sale - seats in the House and Senate, comittee chairmanships, construction contracts.... Lou, do you realize you could be the next head of the NJ State Police for only a donation to a certain re-election campaign fund? Yowsa!

Seriously, why don't you name a few of the good NJ Subaru dealers? I bought both of my Subies from Martin but I won't be going back there so I'm interested in comments about the others this area.

CJ
    I think it was the late Mike Royko writing of Chicago politics that said, "I like an alderman that once bought, stays bought!" By the way, I'm angling for a sinecure myself. :) lol

I am in Northern NJ and don't yet own a Subie, but hope to be owning one soon. I can tell you that friends have bought from Liberty in Oradell and had good luck. Likewise with Wayne Subaru.

I was in the Morristown area on Saturday and browsed at that dealer. They left me completely alone, which was very nice. That was unlike a local Honda dealer where I instantly acquired a shadow.

Friends also tell me that Liberty and Wayne are low pressure places.

I've heard good things about Bill Kolb in Rockland County, NY.

Besides price, service is important so the dealer I buy from has to have a good service department with saturday hours, and "quick oil change" capability.

Other folks here have mentioned Flemington Subaru and the dealer in Staten Island (Staten Island Subaru?).

I've also learned that the documentary fee in NY State is fixed at $20.00 whereas in NJ it is unregulated, and that means the dealer can charge you anything he wants. I know some dealers carge over $100 for that "privilege".

I don't even know if there is a way around that, because I'd stand in line at DMV to save some money.
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Lou, I also live in northern NJ, Bergen Cty to be exact. AND I have owned 5 Subaru's since 1978. I have dealt with Most of the dealers you have mentioned and then some. 3 from Liberty in Ordell, 1 from Wayne and the latest from Ramsey. All 3 have given Excellent Service. Liberty is the best Online parts price. Ramsey is the best Walk in the door parts price. Reason for buying from any of them, Who had JUST what I wanted, and who gave the best price. This last, a 02 Forester L, Ramsey beat everyone including Kolb in Rockland NY by $300, AND they had a plain L 5sp in Red. Just what I wanted, but I didn't let them know that when I was 'dealing'. MY $.02.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    We own an '01 Forester bought at Liberty in Oradell, NJ, and an '02 Outback bought at Bill Kolb Jr, in Orangeburg, NY. Good buying experiences at both, but Kolb is where I will take all my future business. Their service department is superior, IMHO. I've also used Flemington's service dept. on the advice of several members on these boards. I was pleased, but it's a long haul there for me. I work 5 minutes away from Kolb, so it's the most convenient to me for service. I hope this helps.

Len
    Which is the color on the '03 Foresters?

-lou
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    According to http://www.subaru.com, Woodland Green Pearl is available on the X and XS (not the XS premium).

I couldn't find Dark Green Mica on any model.

-Brian
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Isn't the NJ state motto "The Garbage State" or is that the Soprano in me talking!!
    LOL
    Gene
    ya know, Tony Soprano has been wondering if Subarus can function as submersibles. Maybe you'd like to volunteer for the initial test drive? :) hahahaha

Or maybe you'll get an offer you just can't refuse. LOL

Actually, the boxer might be able to function underwater...
    is the color I am pretty sure I saw on a Forester window sticker over the weekend.

- Lou
This discussion has been closed.