Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    also was a black wagon somewhere there too that caught my eye, but that blue B4 as Bob said is GORGEOUS.

-Brian
  • jbeckrjbeckr Posts: 21
    I test drove a Forester S last weekend and was impressed. Does anybody know when the new Forester will be available for sale?
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Yes, the copy on the teaser site for the new Forester has absolutely no useful information on it. It's a lot of fluff -- for example "Monday" goes something like "I drive into work directly from the ski resort. The borderless nature of the Forester energizes me...". I think you get the idea.

As with all new Subaru models, the earliest you can expect to see them at dealers is the end of the summer.

Ken
  • So, does the license plate (Stuttgart/Germany) indicate the next manufacturer Subaru is taking on?

- D.
  • canadatwocanadatwo Posts: 198
    maybe for the Forester.

but last year, the 2002 Impreza was on the delaer lots in May.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    If we are lucky. Most likely in Sept.

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Where were all you end of summer predictors back in July/August when I was the sole voice saying summer 02 while everyone else was espousing early spring?

-Frank P.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    But no product updates from subaru ever come out in spring with the exception of the re-modeled forester, and the WRX.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Less wheel well intrusion? Does that mean we get the multilink rear suspension? Hope so.

James: I have a '98, but it's an L. 43k miles on mine.

No major quirks, just make sure it rides quietly and smoothly. If the wheel bearings are bad, you'll hear it, no doubt. Same for any pinging or axle/gear whine (not common, but issues to check out). If it operates smoothly, you ought to be fine. 45k miles means you still have some powertrain warranty left over, too.

Ask for maintenance records. By 45k the only major service would be the 30k service, so ask for receipts. Check the tires to see if they are evenly worn (if not, alignment may be bad or even the frame may have been damaged).

Other than that, I love my '98 and don't regret buying it for a second.

-juice
  • adanneadanne Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if there are any other style grilles that could be ordered for the 2000 Forester. I like the vehicle very much, expect the look of the grille. Are they any after market products that anyone knows of?
  • canadatwocanadatwo Posts: 198
    impreza was spring 2001.

sept is still summer (until the 20th at least)
  • Someone up above asked for translations of the new Forester preview at http://www.subaru.co.jp/forester , so...

Monday- Monday, with Forester, I returned from the ski place to the office. I received borderless energy. With the Just Height Package, even the weekdays have a free feeling. Even in the city it's easy to drive and treats you well, high points of notice. At the optimum seat height, getting in and out is easy, even for women.

...okay, I was going to do the rest of the week but it's getting late and this is going to take a while. I'll pick up the other six days tomorrow.

Mike

• I'm disappointed to see from the teaser photos that the new Forester will be RHD, but if the car is going to give me "high points of notice," sign me up for one! :-}
  • The Center for Auto Safety's 2002 edition of The Ultimate Car Book is out today. Forester (midsize SUVs) and Legacy (compact cars) both make the list of recommended vehicles. See http://www.autosafety.org.
  • That "High points of notice" was literally "High Eyepoints"...which I'm guessing would mean something that catches your eye. I was hard pressed to make that flow right in English you see.

Mike
  • Gotenks243: "High points/eyepoints" -- hey, close enough! Your command of Japanese seems a lot stronger than that of anyone else in here. Thanks.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    I'm guessing that "high eyepoints" means "high point of view".

The forester has been critisized for being a "tall station wagon" and lacking the commanding high view of a "true SUV". Perhaps the new Forester addresses that issue. Personally, I prefer handling over high eyepoints, and hope that Subaru hasn't turned the NEW Forester into a run-of-the-mill, tall mini-ute.
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    The roads are increasingly saturated with tall vehicles cause more people want this "high eyepoints" or "high point of view". As it is today, there isn't any clear advantage.
    In time to come; what will it be? Higher Point of View?

-Dave
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Yep, handling is paramount to a commanding view for me too.

I don't think Subaru is going to make the Forester another mini-ute. It would go against their whole saftey and low center of gravity design principles.

I recall an argument going back and forth between Forester and CR-V owners a loooong time ago back in the the Forester vs. CR-V topic. The CR-V owners kept arguing that having a commanding view of the road was as important as handling for saftey.

Ken
  • I bought a 2002 Forester L last Wednesday.

On the contract, it clearly states:

Auto, Keyless entry, cernter armrest console, CD player

*Security system upgrade installed.

I negotiated a reasonable deal:

Edmunds TMV on the Forester
    and something between "Good" and "Fair" on Kelly's Blue Book on my 1991 Mazda MX-6.

When I took possession of my car on Wednesday evening, my salesperson and I noticed that a CD player was not installed in the car. He said not too worry about it and that he'd talk to his manager and take care of it the next day.

I left an email for him on Friday since I had not heard from him and have tried contacting him by phone for several days without luck.

Finally, I received an email from him today saying that he was still working on it, but that since "we only made $23 on your deal, I'm having a tough time convincing my sales mgr to give you one for free. What I can most probably do is get you one at cost. I'll let you know."

Now, I think we all know they made well over $23 on the deal even if the CD player was included in the deal.

What's my next step in dealing with them?

Thanks for any advice or help.

--Paul
This discussion has been closed.