Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    about the car outlasting me!

Greg
  • gened1gened1 Posts: 256
    I can't find any jelly in my navel??!!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,454
    Lint makes a good substitute for Bondo....

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    No jelly? Use toe jam.

OK, it's late, I'd better go home. :-)

-juice
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I can't find any jelly in my navel??!!

The proper time to look is after you've finished breakfast in bed and before showering. Timing is everything.

tidester, host
  • I'll let y'all know in 15 years how it resists rust. 8-)
  • spudmanspudman Posts: 32
    One more question before I make an offer on a new Forester. Are upgraded speakers and tweeters a worthy upgrade or an unnecessary expense? I know that if I don't get them now I never will, no matter my intentions.
    Also (last question, really)how should dealer installed options compare in cost to factory installed? I would be having the sound upgrades installed by the dealer.
    Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • ninianninian Posts: 16
    Get the tweeters, and go for speaker upgrades, but aftermarket might be a better deal on the speakers. Ask whether the Subaru upgrade speakers have paper cones and woofers. If so, don't waste your money, and go with the aftermarket. I replaced my base speakers with some Kenwoods I bought from Crutchfield and am very pleased with the improved clarity. Easy to do the installation yourself, too.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Rick- If you won't do aftermarket, then yes, I think the upgraded speakers are worth it. The tweeters for sure make a noticeable difference.

Regarding cost, some dealers will install them and charge you the invoice price (the best you can hope for), many will want full retail (MSRP) for them and some will charge an installation fee in addition to the MSRP. The good news is that you're in the drivers seat until you sign on the bottom line so the price is fully negotiable. I'd fight hard for the invoice price and there's no way I'd pay above MSRP since installing factory speakers is something even the most mechanically challenged should be able to handle. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

-Frank P.
    I've heard the tweeters and they are definitely a plus. Also, aftermarket fitment is difficult, so go factory for those.

I have the premium sound speakers, replaced the base ones myself. The base speakers are cheap dual-cones, the premium's front speakers are true two-ways. They sound better at any volume, and also handle more watts. Go for it.

I'd expect the dealer to charge a fee for installation, maybe an hour or labor or so ($60-80). Replacing just the speakers themselves is EASY, I'm talking a 7 year old with a phillips screw driver could do it in 15 minutes.

-juice
  • ninianninian Posts: 16
    One follow-up to juice's comment on factory v. aftermarket speakers: You do have to be careful on this. Not all speakers that fit Forester openings are shallow enough for the space. If you follow the automated search by vehicle and year on the Crutchfield site, they weed out the gear that does not fit your vehicle. Other vendors may not be so helpful.
  • rochcomrochcom Posts: 247
    I was surfing the subaru-global site, trying to find some evidence for a turbo 2.5 (no luck), and I came across this page of Forester screen savers, wallpaper, and videos. Just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.subaru-global.com/lineup/forester/download/

• spudmanspudman Posts: 32
    Thanks for the responses to my speaker questions. They are very helpful. The dealer quoted me $312 for the upgraded speakers and tweeters. I think that's too high and will offer less. I don't want this to be a deal breaker. Before the speakers the Forester XS is being offered at 2300 below MSRP.
    I want to finalize this one way or another today and tomorrow.
    The MSRP for the tweeter kit (D3D) and upgraded speakers (D3B) is $295 (invoice is $192). Edmunds lists the TMV as $234. I'd offer that and install them yourself. That way the dealer makes a decent (but not obscene) profit and you get what you want for a reasonable price.

-Frank P.
    I wouldn't spend $312 for the speakers.

Heck, if you live in the DC area, come over and I'll put 'em on for ya. It's really that easy.

If you insist on having the dealer do it, offer the invoice price plus the minimum 1 hour of labor, or $192 plus whatever they charge for labor. I think $60 is fair, so $252 total for all 6 installed.

-juice
  • We have a 2003 XS. My wife is the main driver and she is comfortable in the driver's seat. She is only 5 feet tall. For me it is not as comfortable. I'm 6' 1" tall and half of my thigh extend past the front of the driver's seat. I've tried different adjustments with the seat. Has anybody else had this problem with the seat and is there a solution to make both my wife and I comfortable? Are the leather seats the same or are they larger seats? If the leather seats are different, can our seats be replaced with the leather?
    Nick- A few others have complained about the depth of the driver's seat. However, I'm 6'1 myself and find it quite comfortable. I recommend trying different seat height and back angles. FYI: I keep my seat down all the way in the back and elevated slightly in the front with the seat back reclined a couple of notches. Also, I'm almost certain that the leather seats are the same construction as the cloth seats.

-Frank P.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    spudman,

If you're okay using a standard screwdriver, upgrading the speakers is a piece of cake.

I would suggest buying just the tweeters from the dealer and the other speakers from a place like Crutchfield and doing the installation yourself.

The Forester is already pre-wired with the tweeter crossovers so it's pretty much crimp-and-play. The Crutchfield EZ installation kits have everything you need so no cutting or splicing.

Ken
  • smo615smo615 Posts: 15
    If you look on several European sites, they list a Forrester 2 liter turbo at about 150 hp. Subaru offers a 2.5 bi-turboat 250hp in their Japanese Legacy GT. I hear it is coming here next year. It would be nice if some version of this engine could make it into the Forrester. And while they are at it, they might put a few suspension parts from the WRX in the Forester too, lower the ground clearance, and add low-profile 17" wheels for a really tricked out Forester. I have held off buying a WRX wagon because it is just too small.
    It's tuned to 168hp in most markets, 217hp in Japan. They have a lot of variations of tune for the EJ20.

I think the twin turbo in the Legacy Blitzen is a 2.0l as well.

-juice
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Yep, the bi-turbo used in the Legacy is a 2.0, not a 2.5.

Ken
  • rochcomrochcom Posts: 247
    The two Forester engines listed at the Subaru-global site are 2.0's, one normally aspirated, and one a turbo. The turbo has less power than a North American 2.5.

I too would like more power in a Forester. I agree that the WRX, while a very nice package, is just too small for my needs.

I bought my Forester after the sales rep suggested I drive one. I had initially gone in to try out a Legacy GT. But the Forester was more "nimble," as the auto magazine writers say, and faster. There should be versions of both the Forester and the GT that offer more power. Either a 2.5 turbo or a 3.0 six would be nice.
  • ann365ann365 Posts: 5
    g,day my local subaru agency offers a complementary service for new vehicles at 1600 klm
    although I don't believe subaru recommend it some advice i've had is to change oil & filter at that
    time;any comment fellow subarees.nhmcck
  • mlp1mlp1 Posts: 6
    Hi again guys! Thanks for all the responses to my past question. Now I have another! My Subaru dealer is selling the invoice on his lot at invoice price. I took a Premium home last night to try out. I like it except for 2 things: 1, when I use the remote to unlock the doors, only the driver side unlocks and 2, there doesn't seem to be an inside light that automatically comes on when you open/unlock the car. Small things I know, but I have both now with my lemon car so I'm used to it. But, my question is, should I accept the car at invoice or try and wheel and deal below? I really don't have any experience with that but adding taxes in will take the car to almost 25,000 (it comes w/several options).
  • mrk610mrk610 Posts: 378
    If you hit the remote button a 2nd time all the doors and lift gate unlock . Thats how it works on my outback so I would think it is the same on the forrester.

Mike k
  • Mike's right, a second push will unlock all the doors and the rear hatch. As far as interior lighting, check the switch on the overhead dome light and make sure it's not set to "off". I have a 2001 L, and my interior light comes on whenever we use the remote to unlock the doors, so I can't believe they got rid of this feature...

Steve
  • mlp1mlp1 Posts: 6
    I tried hitting the unlock twice Mike and it still didn't unlock any doors other than the driver. What yours does, is what I would want mine to do.....wonder if it's something you have to program? I'll ask the dealer today when I take the car back.
    Yep, twice should unlock everything. Also, I agree with Steve in that the overhead light is turned to "Off" vice "Auto".

As far as price goes, Edmunds lists the current TMV at approx $300 under invoice. I think there is also a $500 dealer incentive (that expires today). Therefore, I'd think you could get the dealer to come down some more. Having said that, if it was me, the price differential still wouldn't be big enough to convince me to buy a 2002 over a 2003.

-Frank P.
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Your experience sounds exactly the same as mine: I went in to drive a Legacy GT wagon, ended up in the Forester for much the same reasons. Threw in a Legacy OB test drive just for good measure.

I don't think the WRX is significantly smaller except in terms of the shape, especially height, of the cargo area. I wouldn't have been able to haul as much tall, square antique furniture or home entertainment equipment in the WRX wagon.

Ed
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    The time is drawing near to take off the Superleggeras and Pilot Sports for the winter. I will, however, need to buy a new set of tires for the OEM 16" Forester S alloys in the stock 215/60-16 size (to replace the bald Geolandars). These tires will likely stay on the car through late March and, if I get too distracted, maybe later into the year.

I live in the Philadelphia metro area and, while we don't typically get more than 2 feet of snow a winter, we have gotten accumulations of up to a foot at one shot.

So I am not looking for a dedicated snow or winter tire, but a good all-season performance type that will be at least adequate in snow, slush or ice - hopefully better in all categories than the Geolandars.

My inclination is to go with a set of Dunlop SP Sport 5000s or SP Sport A2s. What are your opinions on these or other choices?

Thanks,
    Ed
This discussion has been closed.