Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    sportmacsportmac Member Posts: 5
    I am a happy owner of a 2001 Forester. However, I am bothered by the modest performance/response I get when quick accelerations are required. Is there a "turbo" option kit or any performance enhancement option available? Also I was wondering if any one is aware of alternative fuel options that work with Subaru, i.e., ethanol mixes?

Thanks, Bill
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Susan,
    To give my opinion on your recent question regarding the initial oil change: I have always changed the oil on a new car at 1000 miles, then again at 3000, and at 3000 mile intervals thereafter. I know most manufacturers say they no longer use a special "break-in" oil, but I feel there are likely some small pieces of metal from engine assembly, initial start up and break-in, and that a change at 1000 miles sure can't hurt. I also feel much better changing every 3000, even though factory intervals are much longer these days. My vehicle is used primarily for commuting to work, 100 miles roundtrip, mostly highway driving, so it definitely doesn't fit the definition of "severe usage". I wind up doing an oil change about every 6 weeks. It isn't too inconvenient since I do it myself. I changed the oil on my '01 Forester at 1000 miles, and am planning the second oil change this weekend, when it hits 3000.

I have a '92 Nissan Sentra that has 203,000 miles and it is still really clean inside the valve cover: no sludge or even stains are visible. I feel the frequent oil changes (almost 70 since it was new) have definitely contributed to this. Now it is being saved for my son, who gets his license later this year (horrors!). For what it's worth (probably not much), I've always used Castrol GTX 5W30 and Purolator or Nissan filters.

An update on fuel economy with my '01 5 speed after 8 full tanks:
    Best MPG: 32.72
    Worst MPG: 24.41
    Average: 29.34

Len
  • Options
    ray70ray70 Member Posts: 18
    Pat and Ken -

I am surprised that your hood deflector is noisy. We have been using one for 12,000 miles and it totally quite inside the car. I wonder if yours is(was) installed correctly.

Ray
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Ray,

I'm sure mine was installed correctly -- it's kind of hard not to given that it's only held in place by two clips and two mounting brackets. :)

I guess "noisy" can be subjective. Does the hood deflector cause more noise than without? Yes. Is it an unbearable noise? No, but it has bothered others in the past.

I found that just around 80mph, the noise really begins to get noticeable. Also, my side mirrors began to vibrate from the changed airflow. I guess if you don't regularly drive at these speeds, it would be less of an issue.

Ken
  • Options
    kpedersen1kpedersen1 Member Posts: 20
    Is it ME, or are the latest round of TV commercials professing the Outback as Subaru's Sport Utility Vehicles',and the Forester as their Sport Utility WAGON'???Not for anything, and it really doesn't matter WHAT you call my Forester...... I'm just curious as to what others are seeing in this latest set of commercials. Also, there seems to be about one Forester commercial to every four for the Outback here in the NY Metro area. What's up with that?p.p.his 'sspell-checker'UCKS! (Sorry!) Even if I go to 'pposty message' without 'sspellhecking'....it 'cchecks'y spelling ANYWAY, and makes weird additions to my 'ffromext' selection! It makes posting a REAL hahasteand I have to 'rre-do'y message at LEAST 3 times before it makes SENSE!!! I HATE IT!!!!Kris in NJ
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A member last month reported a similar problem trying to post in Town Hall using webtv. See this post:

Sylvia "New Software! Your Questions Answered..." Apr 16, 2001 1:09pm

I'll ask around and see if there was any resolution.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    warrenw48warrenw48 Member Posts: 21
    I would go to the sites I have listed or to a local bike shop to learn more about rooftop carriers. www.thule.com or www.yakima.com
  • Options
    yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    Laurie,

My last Outback had a Yakima roof rack which was a Subaru accessory. Held two bikes and worked well.

I now have another Yakima on my new wagon. This one requires the front wheel to be removed and the fork is held by a clamp.

I have been very satisfied with the product. Without question, when possible to use, roof racks hold bicycles more securely. Nothing, however, beats putting the bike(s) into the back of a wagon!

Don
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Laurie: they use clamps for those carriers, though many are for round cross bars. You can buy just the clamps, though, from a place like REI or a bike store. Even your dealer may have clamps that will fit the Yakima racks (what Subaru resells in their catalog).

I have a soft carrier, which are cheaper and easier to store, but not totally water proof (resistant, yes). Mine is a Samsonite, and some outlets sell them for $40. Target stores have a similar model for $35, IIRC.

Sears sells the new, sleeker black ones for a bit over $100, I believe. Worth checking out.

Matt: sweet. $12k is a steal. Stop thief! ;-)

Bill: stay away from Ethanol blends. They're designed for good ol' gasoline.

Want more power? You could do simple under $100 mods like a K&N or Amsoil air filter, or a whole intake for $120-180. Unorthodox Racing makes a lightened undrive accessory pulley for about $180. You'll get 3-5hp from these simple mods.

Up the price ladder would be an exhaust ($400), cams (???), or forced induction kit. I know JC Sports sells a turbo kit for a few grand, and the RS I rode along in was mega-quick, if a little rough around the edges.

I suggest you hop over to Subaru Crew - Modifications for more detailed info. That's all we talk about!

You won't get 33mpg like Len, though. WOW!

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Len- I guess I'm going to have to give you the crown for best MPG (AFAIK my 30.2 mpg was the previous record). You're also averaging about 2 mpg better than me though I have no complaints with my 27.5 mpg avg :-)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    gossamargossamar Member Posts: 106
    Geez, take a 1.5 week vacation and have 150 messages to sort....Well, just completed about a 3000 mile vacation with the "Sube" and have good things to report...with the exception of three things. First, the car performed excellent...mileage ranged from a worst of 21-mpg(South Dakota with MAJOR headwind), to 28-mpg. Keep in mind car was loaded down with all the camping supplies needed for a 1.5 week excursion. Now for the 3-bad things, got first rock chip in windshield, got a rock chip just above the glass on the roofline, and first minor door ding from an inconsiderate guest at the COORS brewery toor in Golden, Colorado....this is even after over parking the lines on an end spot!! Oh-well, the first one is always the hardest and is now buffed out.
    For those of you with bug problems, I would fore-go the bugshield and maybe install the full front end protector. The cost is just over $100.00, installation only takes about 5-minutes. I purchased one before heading off on our trip and it sure has saved some elbow grease on the bugs. Just take to a car wash, and pressure wash all the gunk off. Plus, you can remove as often as you like, or when bug season is gone. Although, the protector does look good on the car.
    I also seen a post somewhere back on the use of a ZAINO product for the glass...well I would also HIGHLY recommend the rest of the product line for keeping your vehicle looking good. I recently purchased the products needed for waxing a car including the clay bar. The cost is a bit more than what you would pay for some over the counter waxes, but this stuff is GOOD. The process is somewhat involved in the begining, but gets easier as time goes on. Just by using the clay-bar there was a MAJOR difference in quality of shine on the paint. Give it a try, you wont be disappointed...
    Well, it is off to get the oil chaned in the "Sube", tires rotated, and some touch up paint for the rock chip....
  • Options
    dry_flydry_fly Member Posts: 12
    I am having a great deal of trouble getting my remote door opener/alarm to function. I have to walk around it several times and point all over the place. I've replaced batteries, and the problem is the same with both controllers. Any solutions?
    Also I get a clicking noise when I shift as if something is engaging hard. Is this the differential or the transmission?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Mine works best aimed at the rear hatch. Don't know why, but you may want to try that.

Also, holding the controller up to your chin makes you a portable antennae, and can increase range (which I agree is not very good).

-juice
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Has your dealer checked out your Subaru for both issues? What year and model do you have? If it has been brought to the dealer, what did they say?

Patti
  • Options
    gatorflogatorflo Member Posts: 12
    I have been reviewing Edmunds for about two months now. It has been an excellent resource in choosing the vehicle that I want. Currently the front runner is the Forester, I think it'll remain that way. I have yet to test drive one, I should be doing it next week, and I doubt that I will be disappointed. I am posting this message for two reasons. One, most of the postings I've seen praise the forester, those that do not, think they would've been better off with a Pacer or Gremlin. I'm wondering if they just received "lemons". The second is that the 2002's have come out in my area, Southeastern, New England. 2002's and 2001's are the same price. Is there a difference between these two models? I am looking at a Forester S so I can get the all weather package, an added bonus in this area. If anyone could shed a little light on this it would be greatly appreciated. I think I will soon be a Forester owner and then I can post messages saying that the reviews are right.
  • Options
    For 2002, the freight charge went up $30, so basically the price went down when you account for inflation and added content.

What content? 2 speed rear wiper, DRLs, cargo cover now standard, and new colors.

Definitely go drive one. Good on paper is one thing - it has to feel right to the driver, too. IMO this is where the Forester excels, so I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

-juice
  • Options
    gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Does anyone know when, or if, the Forrester is destined for a complete make-over? I thought this would be the year but apparently not the case. Was hoping for a little more leg room.

Thanks
  • Options
    tlimatlima Member Posts: 124
    Hey Chris, if your looking for a good dealership in Southern Mass, check out Metro Subaru in Somerset. Good people and service (not that your going to need it!) with little sales pressure.

I bought my '01 there from Gus Wollmar. Tell him Tony Lima sent you.

Happy shopping,

-Tony
    Note: I gain nothing (zero, zippo, nada) from this endorsement...just trying to make your Subaru experience a pleasant one.
  • Options
    bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    We bought 2 '01 Foresters from Metro. If you talk to Paul Furtado tell him bigFrank said hello.

Regards,
    Frank
  • Options
    gpolt: model year 2003 is the next redesign. There is much speculation about exactly what will change. It'll probably get slightly bigger, and get a more powerful engine option (turbo or H6, noone knows for sure).

It could move to the Legacy chassis, according to one rumor. But I'm guessing it'll remain a stretched Impreza, perhaps with the rear suspension from the Legacy.

We're hoping it'll appear early next year, but it may be until summer. Check back every once in a while, because we expect the spy photos to start appearing pretty soon. It'll be launched in Japan this fall, most likely.

-juice
  • Options
    cellmatescellmates Member Posts: 11
    If you are deciding between a 2001 and 2002 Forester you should check the destination charge. I bought a Forester last month in Southern NH and the destination charge on 2002's was $550 vs $495 on the 2001's. I was told the only difference between them was the cargo cover - I've since learned otherwise.

I ended up buying a 2001 (because of color and MT) and have been happy with it. But, I would add that the clutch action on the MT is not as forgiving as on other vehicles I have driven.

I also mail ordered WeatherTech floor mats for the front and ended up sending them back. They did not fit as well as a set that I found at Sears.

1200 miles and climbing,
    Cellmates
  • Options
    scho2scho2 Member Posts: 4
    Received the first door ding on my new Forester S (blue ridge pearl) in a supermarket parking lot. I purposely parked away from other cars, but some klutz pulled in next to me and apparently just swung their door open right into the passenger side door of my Forester. Small dent about the size of a quarter, but no paint chipped off. Any way to pop this dent out?
  • Options
    I've heard that holding up some dry ice to the ding will cause the metal to contract and pop itself back. Never tried it though.

I would just use a professional paintless dent removal service like Dentpro or Dent Wizard. They use special tools to get inside the panels and massage out the dent. I had a quarter size dent removed from the side of my Forester -- the results were very impressive. You can't tell that it was ever there.

Ken
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Need your input here. The wife and I both like the Forester. What put the wife off was the door's frameless window. She's concern window will break, etc when closing the door hard such when the window is rolled half way down during the summer. Stuff like that. Need some Subie owners input here. Thanks :)

Leo
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I'm driving an '89 Loyale. I sold Subaru for five years, never saw a window break from slamming the door, only from being hit.
  • Options
    I have had no problem with the frameless window design. You get used to it, and the doors are actually lighter and easier to close. My 1300psi pressure washer can't even make them leak.

In fact, point out that Acura, BMW, and Mercedes also employ the design on some of their highest priced coupes.

If she's concerned about side impacts, take a peek at the S Premium, one of the few sport/cutes to offer the option.

-juice
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I love the frameless windows - especially in the summer when the windows are down. Makes it a lot easier to open and close the door. Reminds me of a couple of my old roadsters. :-)

Ross
  • Options
    I've never had a problem with my frameless windows at all either. The nice thing about them is that when they're rolled down, getting in and out of your vehicle is very easy.

The only negative thing I can say about the windows is people leaving greasy fingerprints when they close the doors. I've trained all my close friends to close the door with the handles, but people are more used to pushing on windoframes.

Ken
  • Options
    One other thing you'll notice is the pillars are very thin, so blind spots are smaller.

To see what I mean, sit in a Forester, then sit in a Volvo XC. It's like putting on a blind fold.

-juice
  • Options
    kpedersen1kpedersen1 Member Posts: 20
    Juice-In post #1567 you stated that in the 2002 models there are 'new colors'....what are they, please?Kris in NJ
  • Options
    texsubarutexsubaru Member Posts: 242
    I can understand where the wife's concern is coming from, because I had a few qualms about the frameless windows when I first got my Forester. My chief concerns were about tightness and leakage, but, actually, I think I was mainly just put off because it was unfamiliar. Maybe there was also a bit of an American "more metal is always better" mindset in there. But, a bit over a year later, I've had no problems, and, in fact, very much like the way that, if the windows are down, the lack of frames can ease getting in and out of the Forester -- especially if I'm carrying a bunch of stuff.
  • Options
    Kris- The 2002s have a different shade of green (Savanna) and silver (platinum). The S and L models share all the same colors except for silver, which you can only get with the L or S+ (the silver would clash with the lower cladding of the S). Speaking of which, color of said cladding also changed from a gold tone to more of a silver one. The S+s are still only offered in white, red, silver and black.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    First, thank you all for response to the framelss window question.

Another question is regarding tires between the L and S models. Can you put 16" tires on the L model without changing the rims?

Leo
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    also, black for some reason is available only on S+ model in 2002 Foresters.

on frameless window: I own Subaru since 1992, never had any problems. Love that "sporty" feel that you get from the door when window is down (see armac13's post above on this). By now, I'm so used to it that normal window w/frame feels too heavy, non-sporty, and pillars feel too thick and obstructive.
  • Options
    gatorflogatorflo Member Posts: 12
    Thanks to all who replied to my previous message. Very helpful. I think I'll test drive the Forester at Metro, not only to get a feel for the car but the dealership as well. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with carsdirect.com. I priced a 2002 S automatic with the premium package and the price was 500 invoice. I also compared this to Edmunds TMV and the price was only seven dollars over. This would be usefull information to bring to the dealership. this sounds like a good deal to me. Is it?
    Once again. thanks
  • Options
    bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Kate - that was the case for 2001 also, black only on S+.

Chris - you won't have a problem with $500 over for an S+ at Metro. They will cut you that deal.

Regards,
    Frank
  • Options
    Leo - no, you'll need new rims, too.

I did just that - bought 16"x7" aftermarket rims for $75 a pop from discount tire direct on special. The tires were extra, but I needed new tires anyway. That plus you can either mount snows on the original steel rims or sell them.

I sold mine for $100, so after paying $300 for the alloys, the net cost to me was $200. A bargain by any measure.

-juice
  • Options
    blumenthal1blumenthal1 Member Posts: 1
    i am having the 7500 mile service and tires rotated/balanced at subaru dealer for $134.95. does this sound like what other people pay for their 2001 foresters. thanks for responses. jb
  • Options
    Jay- I think you're getting ripped off. My dealer only charges $68 for the 7500 mile service package.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    they changed oil, rotated/balanced tires, checked/ topped all fluids and tested how it drives.
    Still it was a rip-off, the only good thing was that I paid for it with coupons, so it was less out-of-pocket cost.
  • Options
    rangerron7rangerron7 Member Posts: 317
    I got clipped for $130 + when I did my 7500 mile servicing. Ask them to itemize EVERYTHING they plan to do, then compare that to the service schedule in the owners manual and determine whether the service is necessary.
    My dealer tried to justify the "extras" as being necessary due to the 'extreme driving conditions' of motoring in Chicago. I was a bit skeptical but had OK'd the charges in advance so, shame on me.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Patti... Subaru UK offers a "roof visor" for the Forester identified as #E3610FC000.

Given that I would like to crack a window without getting dripped on, how can I get this item?

Unable to find an E-mail address and am not up to calling long distance.
  • Options
    lakepop- That "roof visor" is probably for a sun roof. What you want is a driver's window visor. However, because the Forester has frameless windows, Subaru doesn't offer one. You could probably get an after market one and attach it to the roof above the door opening but IMO it would look pretty weird. Bottom line, get used to being dripped on :-) I consider it a minor inconvenience for an otherwise excellent vehicle.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    since it is mounted on the roof, I guess they call it the "roof visor" but it serves the purpose of a window visor.
  • Options
    soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    Try this website...they make good stuff I hear...

http://www.macneilauto.com/store/Notape.html
  • Options
    lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    po926 ..Nope...go to www.subaru.co.uk..and check out acessories. Clearly shows "roof visors" mounted over the windows ala "window visors" stateside.
    I concur that the Forester is an excellent vehicle..not the issue. If an aftermarket can fill any shortfalls..I want it. Not getting dripped on would be my choce given the option. My .02

Hypov... yep- that's what it does. For some reason they call it a "roof visor" even though it mounts above the windows,

soon2bsubee...sorry ... they offer nothing for the Forester. I have checked out all the popular stateside options..no luck.

I will continue to keep my eyes open for options because as good as this machine is...it can be made better ....:) ;)
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Dave/John (which would you be?)
    Actually, looks like you could contact Subaru UK from their site via "enquiries".
    I noticed Subaru Italy has that visor too (I think).
  • Options
    norm949norm949 Member Posts: 28
    Just received the Subaru extended service contract offer form, with a 6yr/60K coverage for $546.00. A similar plan saved me big bucks on my old 93 Probe, but that was Ford. What are people's opinions on whethere the Subaru plan is worth it? TIA.
This discussion has been closed.