Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• qmarkerqmarker Posts: 20
    I see 2003 Subaru accessory web pages and catalogs. I'd like to know about the various cargo nets. They are much less expensive than what my dealer is quoting me. Now, I can't install air deflectors but I sure could hook up a cargo net (I think). Don't these just hook on to "something" already existing in the vehicle? Or is it more complicated than it looks? Also the pet barrier. Is that a major install?

I want to order the Forester soon and I don't like the fact that my dealer is quoting all MSRP costs on the accessories I've mentioned.

Thanks, Donna
    Cat, You may be the only cat driving one, but ALL dogs "think" they are excellent drivers. Didja ever notice when you return to the car in a parking lot they are automatically sitting in the drivers seat?

Gotta be the lead dog?

Donna
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Joe: compare them back-to-back and you'll find the headliner on the RAV4 and CR-V are the exact same material as the 2002 Forester.

And the funny thing is the 2003 Forester now uses a nicer material, so you just pointed out an advantage. The cup holders are now molded into the center console, and generally materials are upgraded.

Congrats Michael. Boy, two new cars in two years sounds nice! :-)

Congrats to ace57.

Congrats to couscous, too. Some of those things are nice but $4648 sounds ridiculous. I'd go a-la-carte and try to get the warranty for $1000. If you use the dealer for maintenance, figure out what it would cost and if you can save 20% or more by pre-paying, it may be worth it. Remember you'd be earning interest on that money if you kept it. Skip the undercoating, they already come with what is necessary from the factory for the trip across the Pacific, in fact we complain about the smell when it begins to burn off.

Hmm, Forester is 3rd best in JD Power and we complain? Our standards may be a bit high, fellas. I should talk, I'm a card-carrying OCD club member, but I swear I've only waxed my rims 3 times so far. ;-)

Dave: wax those rims, it helps!

Look at CR - Forester beat the RAV4, which was 1st in JD Power. What do you care more about, fixing something in the first 90 days, when it's free, or down the road, when YOU pay for it? I'll let each individual answer that rather obvious question.

Also, look at the bright side. JD Power's numbers show that Subaru improved a lot, and if it is an indicator for long-term reliability you would expect it to improve as well, no?

Another positive point - the Forester looks like the best scoring Subie.

The recall Bob mentioned also affects my dad's Outback, but IMO it's a good thing. Think about it - they are reprogramming the ECU to be less sensitive to triggering CELs. What's the #1 most common problem here? Check engine lights. Problem solved? Who knows, once they're fixed the JD Power numbers could improve. This "fix" may even help Grace.

Forester won JD Power's APEAL study in 2000, but in 2001 the Aztec took over. I'll let you guys come up with punch lines...

-juice
  • carmarshelcarmarshel Posts: 10
    My dog actually preferred the Forester over the CR-V too... Seriously. In my test drives of the two vehicles, I took them home for my dog to "see" (advantage of living relatively close to the dealerships). She, a golden retriever, had no trouble getting in and out of the back seat and rear storage area of the Forester, without the aid of a ramp or steps. The CR-V was another story. She had no problem getting in, but balked at jumping down from the slightly higher levels (and she generally is not that afraid or cautious). I guess another advantage of the more car-like attributes of the Forester. (I hope there aren't any dealers out there reading this.)

-Rod
    My dog likes the lower paw-in of my wife's Legacy vs. my Forester. And the moquette fabric is softer, too.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    So Juice, you finally got a dog? :(o)
    DOH!

Bob met him, what do you think, Bob?

-juice
  • cat_meowcat_meow Posts: 4
    We've bought the cargo nets. We need to drill several holes for the plugs, which are used for hanging the nets. You'll need a quite powerful driller.

Cats are lazy animals and are not willing to drive even they can. : )

-cat
  • cat_meowcat_meow Posts: 4
    It's me that taught him to drive *Grin*

and I also had two Siamese Cats students:

http://www.pointreyes.net/stuff/episode1.html

http://www.pointreyes.net/stuff/episode2.html

They are crime fighters! Enjoy!

-cat

• bsvollerbsvoller Posts: 528
    Just back from a week in the Black Hills, SD. What a blast !

Towed our 1600# (curb weight) '95 Coleman Rio Grande (big, comfy, sleeps 7) 385 miles each way from Denver with nary a problem. Got 22 mpg going 75 into a strong headwind ! Can you spell very pleased ? Best tank was over 30 without the trailer touring the area. Our '01 S+ was rock solid the whole way despite very strong, gusty winds, sometimes from the side. Plenty of power in the hills.

Saw Mt Rushmore, hiked to Harney's Peak, toured Jewel Cave, rode the 1880 steam train, visited Mammoth Site, spent an afternoon swimming in the natural hot springs at Evan's Plunge, drove through Custer State park and the Needles Highway. Lot's of quality time with my 6 yr old and darling wife. Weather was perfect and no crowds. (Got lucky, frankly, might have had snow.)
    Is 3 percent off of everything priced at MRSP a good deal or not? MSRP is going to be a bit over 27k

I am getting down to the bottom line and appreciate all your help.

Thanks, Donna
  • bsvollerbsvoller Posts: 528
    First of all, let me say that I'm not all that impressed with the '03... It's a trade-off between the mechanical enhancements (bigger, stronger, smarter brakes, decreased, better distributed weight, stiffened unibody, etc) and the interior revamp, which I personally dislike. As far as I'm concerned, the outside is a wash. Whoever described the first generation as "frumpy" a week back needs new glasses, sorry. :) Buicks are frumpy.

The new interior feels chinsy to me, compared to my '01 S+. I don't like the dash, the instrument cluster, the cloth seats, or the decreased headroom. They also did away with my cubbies ! We use the cubbies in the doors for all kinds of stuff, keeps the clutter down.

OK, nuff said on my personal take of the '03. Here's the news (at least it's news to me) that's pertinent to the Subaru club at large...

Has anyone heard of the "all new" manual 5-speed transmission on the '03 ? I confirmed at the dealership and on the tech hot-line that the '03 has an "all new" 5-speed (tech line parts specifier's description), with a revised clutch disk and pressure plate. The '03 clutch and pressure plate are not compatible with the first generation 5MT. This is why they bumped the towing capacity on the MT and not on the AT in the '03.

Also, there have been 4 revisions of the clutch disk and 1 revision of the pressure plate during the first generation ('98-'02). The last revision of the pressure plate was in Sept of '99. Most chattering issues with our clutch can be traced to the clutch plate lining being sensitive to dampness, which explains why most complaints are related to cold weather (condensation). They've been adjusting the clutch lining material. The pressure plate itself has been less of a problem on stock cars.

Thought you guys would find this interesting. I did.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    is a pussycat, er, a really friendly, nice dog. He's actually a lap cat, er, dog.

Bob
    3% off is still a high price. Invoice is about 10% below MSRP, but more importantly try negotiating up from invoice, not down from MSRP. 1-3% above invoice is common now.

Interesting indeed Brian. 46k on my original 1998 clutch, though!

Dog, yes, though he refused to bark for Bob, further fueling the controversial cat/dog fire. ;-)

I like the idea of where the new cargo nets are. Mine is at the opening and it blocks me from getting things in some times.

Plus stuff is less likely to roll around. It also makes the oddly shaped sides more useful, while leaving the big box at the center available for square cargo.

When did the Forester get the pop-out grocery hooks? Is that new for 2003? Our 2002 Legacy has them and they are especially handy if you have no cargo nets at all.

-juice
  • nypaulnypaul Posts: 35
    No, our dog doesn't drive, he makes me do that. In fact he's got his own room in the back behind the doggie divider. And as for how I knew he liked the Forester best, he told me so. No no, not in words you silly cat, it was his body language. He jumped right up into the Subaru and layed down just like he was at home!

Paul
  • carmarshelcarmarshel Posts: 10
    When I test drove the 03, the clutch pedal did feel "stiffer" compared to other manual transmissions that I have driven. But I chalked this up to being a new car. Anyone else have this impression, or more info. on the Forester manual transmissions, clutch, etc...?

-Rod
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    It's got that Hill-Holder feature.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.