Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

1338339340341342344»

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Sorry, missed that in the rules.

Bad day @ work? :P
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    I cannot get used to the small-ish side mirrors on my 2006 Forester X, after being spoiled with much larger mirrors on my old 2001 Forester S+. To replace the stock mirrors with large ones from Forester XS, dealer quoted me about $800 ($285 per mirror, $105 installation labor per mirror plus taxes etc). Yikes.

I wonder if there is a less expensive way around it. Maybe there are cheaper aftermarket side mirrors one can recommend?
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    DIY ! Replacing the mirrors is not very difficult. Shop around for some discounted mirrors and install them yourself.
  • mzdallasmzdallas Member Posts: 2
    I was just told that you cannot get the larger mirrors on the base model because of the smaller voltage.
    Well, they would ruin the "looks" anyway. :P
    why? X Premium has good looks too, and it has large mirrors
    It's called humor. ;)
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    Just received an Added Warranty Offer from Subaru. Any thoughts on it? Did it cover most major repairs? Any "surprises" that were not covered?

TIA
  • paulotterstedtpaulotterstedt Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 Forester automatic that my wife used to drive. It has about 83000 miles on it. When I slow almost to a stop and then accelerate, and sometimes when I stop completely and then accelerate, I get a rattling sound from the back. This seems to happen more frequently when going uphill. Any thoughts on what might cause this? I have never gotten stuck with the car and am debating whether I should invest in maintenance like fixing this noise, flushing A/T, brake fluid and coolant, replacing brake pads and turning rotors, or should just sell it in the spring. What can I expect to go wrong in the next 20K miles? I dislike the car because of the A/T, but this is just my preference as there is nothing objective to dislike about it. Thanks in advance.
    Always look for extended warranties that list the exclusions, not what is covered.

warrantydirect.com has good coverage, deductables and prices, and they advertise on Edmunds. Compare Subaru's with theirs, and the price. ;)
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    When I slow almost to a stop and then accelerate, and sometimes when I stop completely and then accelerate, I get a rattling sound from the back

Have you checked the exhaust heat shield.....a common rattle problem!
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I'd definintely keep up the maintenance on a Subaru with only 83k miles! Odds are it will easily go three times that distance and even if you do sell it in the spring, you'll get more for it if you maintain it properly.

-Frank
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    List prices are marked up about 40%, IIRC.

I have a Subaru Gold, because they guarantee OE parts and also include roadside assistance. So you are towed to a dealer and get good parts, not cheap knock-offs. Plus they're not gonna go out of business like Warranty Gold did.

-juice
  • admendeladmendel Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a million for all those posters telling the idiots (like me) that you have to reach to the top of the column in order to turn off your parking lamps after going through a full service car wash. I almost had to make an embarrasing trip to the dealer on this. One other question... Does anyone know on an '04 Foreseter X why the right stick on the column when you pull it, the mist won't work? I can push the end button for full spray, so the motor for the washer sprayer is working.. any suggestions?
    The pulling "mist" deal isn't for fluid, but to clear the window of "mist", such as in fog. Pushing in on the end button, that activates fluid when held in, and five of six passes of the wipers.

For the read window, one needs to twist and hold the actuator for that. ;)

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones not asked! :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    reach to the top of the column in order to turn off your parking lamps

My '97 Outback is the same way. Guess how I know. :blush:
    That is a safety feature. If one is parked on a hill, or its broken down, and you have to leave the car, you can switch only the tail and parking lights on, without having to leave the car "on". ;)
    In 10 months of ownership my wife has only put on 2,200 miles. What would be a good strategy if we purchase xtended warranty? Do I wait right before our three years are up? We do plan on keeping the car for a long long time.

TIA

Jeff
    The price you pay, Jeff, is always lower the sooner you get it, with lower mileage.

Warrantydirect.com (CLICK HERE FOR THEM) offers one that actually wraps around the existing, much longer, original powertrain warranty, so you are not paying twice for the same coverage. That is what I purchased for my 2006 Forester, after I was directed to them from the edmunds.com site.

It is called Powerwrap Plus, when you check out the prices. ;)
    Thanks to both of you for the info.

Jeff
  • admendeladmendel Member Posts: 3
    For the past few months on a cold (not really cold, just not warmed up) start, when I turn my steering wheel to the end of its path either to the right or left I get a clicking, ratcheting sound. It only happens for the 1st few minutes of driving during the day, so I can never get the dealer to hear it! I have left at the dealer overnight on 4 occacsions, last time they tell me they heard it and replaced a solenoid clutch transfer. I thought that fixed it, then the next day, the noise was back. Again, it happens only when the wheel is turned to the VERY end of its path in either direction and lasts as long as you hold the wheel in its complete turned position. Let go of the wheel and the noise stops. Anybody else have this problem. I have an 04 Forester X - Automatic with less than 20k miles. I need to know what to tell the dealer since they can't seem to pinpoint the issue.
    In 10 months of ownership my wife has only put on 2,200 miles. What would be a good strategy if we purchase xtended warranty?

I think the "best" strategy would be to just save your money. With your Forester being driven that little, the likelihood of you having a repair issue during the time period of the extended warranty is pretty remote.

-Frank
  • wfnaegelewfnaegele Member Posts: 10
    Versatility is my theme.

On a Saturday I took the Subaru up into the Jemez Mountains [New Mexico} on National Forester "roads." No, the Forester is not billed as an off-road banger [and it is not one], but it handled those "roads" [such as they are] with aplomb. You certainly wouldn't want to go there in, say, a Camry or Accord or Mazdaspeed3.

On the other hand, on the following Monday the Forester took a 300-mile trip to and from the Very Large Array via interstate and secondary [paved] roads -- mostly at extra-legal ["legal" being 75 mph] speeds with equal aplomb [quiet enough to enjoy Mozart on the satellite radio while drinking the hot coffee from McDonald's.

As a bonus for Continental Dividers, the turbo motor handles the 5,000-7,000 altitudes with nary a hiccup.

Complaints? Needs another gear on the auto box; brake pedal is way too soft; 91-octane gas. For all-round use, though, it's priceless.
    I have made the same trip, without my Forester feeling at all sluggish, 80MPH, and it isn't a turbo, using that cheap(er) regular unleaded. :P
    I have made the same trip, without my Forester feeling at all sluggish, 80MPH, and it isn't a turbo

Ha! That's only because you haven't taken the same drive in an XT :P

Don't get me wrong, I had a 2001 non-turbo and while it did okay in the mountains, there's no arguing that the XT is in a different power class. In fact, driving in the mountains offers the perfect example: you're climbing a mountain pass in over-drive and go to accelerate. In the non-turbo you've already got the pedal floored just trying to maintain your speed and you have no choice but to down-shift. With the turbo however, all you have to do is give it some more gas and you're pressed back into your seat from the turbo boost enabled acceleration :shades: That being said, there's also no arguing that you'll pay the price at the pump for having a turbo.

-Frank
    Frank,

I think we are mixing apples and oranges here, as that wasn't the question or my post. Some 4 bangers will indeed feel sluggish driving the area you posted about. The Forester X does not. And I didn't have to floor it to maintain speed. Not even driving I-70 over the pass to Denver. ;)

Obviously a turbo anything will give you better, easier acceleration, although my 2006 Murano SL might leave you in the dust without having it, and certainly my Viper would. All of those come at a cost, one way or another, eh? Most won't want to pay for Premium gas and loss of MPG, or endure the extra mechanical maintenance most turbos come with.

Me, I like turbos, but most buyers of economy cars will be, and usually are, put-off by the extra costs, that are not always apparent to the first-time turbo buyer. They get caught up in "feeling the power"....and like you said, nothing beats that feeling when climbing a mountain road! :P
    Actually, the original post was specifically commenting on the climbing ability of the XT:

As a bonus for Continental Dividers, the turbo motor handles the 5,000-7,000 altitudes with nary a hiccup

While your response was to contend that the non-turbo performed equally well while using cheaper gas:

I have made the same trip, without my Forester feeling at all sluggish, 80MPH, and it isn't a turbo, using that cheap(er) regular unleaded

Since I've climbed the same mountain pass in both, my personal experience with their climbing capabilities seems to provide an ideal comparison. The bottom line being that the normally aspirated engine gets the job done but without the sizeable power reserves that the XT brings to the table and therefore the non-turbo does indeed feel sluggish in comparison.

Speaking of mixing apples and oranges… what does a Nissan Murano much lees a Dodge Viper have to do with comparing different Forester models? :P

-Frank
    The comparison had to do with the ability to climb hills. ;)

You want to make an argument here, as you obviously feel some need to "defend" your turbo, which isn't under "attack" I merely said my X model didn't feel sluggish, as some 4's do. I believe I stated I liked Turbo's, and recognized nothing beat the feeling of extra power. But it is all realitive, since the non-turbo vehicles I own can wipe most turbos.

People looking here for information usually like comparisons, therefore my comment. If someone is looking for an affordable car, and might think they must buy a turbo if living in the Inter mountain West, IMO they would like to know Subaru's regular Boxer 4 will handle the hills better than most 4's....without the extra maintenance of a turbo, and the need to buy Premium Unleaded. :)
    People looking here for information usually like comparisons

Yep, that's why I provided one without confusing the issue by throwing in totally unrelated models. I'm happy for you that you have a Viper that can "wipe most turbos" but fail to see what that has to do with the forum topic :confuse:

I could just as easily argue that it appears you feel it necessary to "defend" your non-turbo even though I agreed that it performs adequately when climbing. I also agreed that the turbo comes with a financial penalty (both premium gas and lower mpg). In fact I tell anyone who cares to ask that the Forester X provides the best value for the money of any small SUV/CUV :)

-Frank
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've pulled posts form this general discussion to start up new ones here in the Subaru Forester Group.

Among the discussions you'll find are:

New Subaru Forester Owners - Give Us Your Report!
    Subaru Forester: MPG-Real World Numbers
    Subaru Forester Tire/Wheel Questions
    Subaru Forester Transmission Questions
    Forester Body Work: Fixing Dents and Dings
    Forester Interior & Passenger Comfort Questions
    Subaru Forester Engine Issues
    Subaru Forester Brake Questions
    Subaru Forester Electrical/Lighting Issues
    How Much Can The Forester Carry?

Please be sure to check the discussion list for an appropriate discussion whenyou are ready to post. If you have a question or issue that doesn't appear to fit one of the existing discussions on the list, please feel free to start up a new discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and assistance as we move through this reorganization of the forums.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    NOOOOooooo...

I can't tell you how much I dislke this splitting. Edmunds will lose out, as will the owners. We often have several issues that need answers and this will create posting and response inefficiencies.

I was hoping that what happened in the Mazda board would not happen in Subie land. This is NOT improving the Forums.

John
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I agree. Just when I had everything that interests me set up, I have to go and re-do it all.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Interesting... I traded in my 04X manual for an 07X Premium Package. All the goodies are nice but I'm noticing after one day the differences in performance.

I personally liked the 04 gray plastic sides, OK performance... They have retuned the suspension. To go along with the more "refined" looks, it is subtly not as stiff as the 04. In no way is it loose, but there is definitely a very slight lean in the turns I didn't have and is perhaps just a tad softer in the ride but not soft.

It does seem a little more responsive on the throttle, I assume that is the fly by wire throttle and perhaps the extra 8 horsepower. Over all, it appears to be as I noted abover, just a bit more "refined." Now the goodies on the Premium Package are definitely more that way, but the looks and handling are...different also.

As I look at the body panel and front end differences and then the slight performance differences, my first thought is that they were trying to appeal more to the "soccer mom" market. This is not a good thing or a bad thing (although I personally liked the 04 handling better) just different.

With the deal I got, I can live with it...heh heh heh...

Oh and for those waiting on the new re-design, it appears that the Impreza gets a whole new design in 08, but they are now going to wait till 09 for the Forester. Apparently it is still moving well enough to stretch it out and not overload their design and engineering staff???
  • prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    How time has flown. I bought my 2006 Forester X one year ago. In that time I've driven it 14,536 miles, oddly enough I've never taken it more than about 40 miles from home.
    Mileage: 22 mpg, slightly disappointing as I have the 5-speed manual (but keep in mind most of my driving is non-highway).
    Maintenance costs: less than $100, for a few oil changes.
    Problems: all minor stuff. The right front door sometimes doesn't open when I use the remote unlock on the key fob; the beige cloth upholstery stains easily; the carpet in front of the pedals is showing some wear.

All in all, except for the mileage issue I'm highly satisfied.
    >I'm noticing after one day the differences in performance

I normally can notice difference even between 2 almost identical cars (the same model, the same trim, the same year).

In case of slightly different handling between 04X and 07Premium, my prime suspects will be rims (alloy on 07 vs steel on 04) and tires. Check the tire pressure on 07. My dealer recommends running Foresters with a bit more PSI than recommended in the manual (but definitely not to exceed max indicated on the tire wall). It does give it a bit sportier feel and handling plus improves mileage.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check the Subaru Forester Group main page for the appropriate discussion when youare ready to post. If you have a question or issue that needs a new discussion, feel free to start one.
This discussion has been closed.