Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• ballisticballistic Posts: 1,687
    I've never driven a car with door-window deflectors. Wouldn't they add considerable wind noise to an already unquiet Forester at highway speeds?
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Mike- Try www.japanparts.com
  • lakepoplakepop Posts: 221
    Have had them on since day one. Zero issues.....very nice to have when you are stopped and want to crack a window without the water dripping in.

Was meticulous in mounting them which I think was the problem with people woho complained of the noise.

Bought them from a dealer in New Hampshire....IIRC...$125.

OK....just my .02
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,264
    I'm planning to buy a new Forester in a few months (currently own MY2001 S+ model). I really like 5-spoke alloy wheels on my current Forester, more than new design.

I wonder if there might be any issues fitting my old rims to the new MY2005 Forester. In general, is any problem with using older alloy rims (that ran for almost 100K)? I mean, some problems with metal getting "tired" or somehow deteriorating through the years and miles of usage?
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    I was wandering what the largest tire size can fit onto the stock steel 15 inch wheels that are on our forester L. I currently have the stock 205-70-15 on there but I want something along the lines of 225-60-15. Would these be to wide for the rims and would there be any clearance problems? thanks for the help.

Kyle
    Kate- Unless you've been secretly driving on the WRC circuit, I don't see metal fatigue being an issue. Of course unless you're as OCD as Pat, there's going to be some normal surface wear-and-tear on the old rims. AFAIK, both wheels and tires are the same size so that certainly won't be an issue. However, I do suggest that you give the new wheels a chance. I wasn't too enthused about them initially either but they do grow on you.

-Frank P.
    Your 2001 wheels are 15", right?

If so, they will not fit any 2nd-generation (2003 or later) Forester. Increased brake sizes require 16" wheels. 15-inchers will not clear.
    Jack- Ah hah! Finally something I can definitively call you on! The 01 S has standard 16" wheels so it's a non-issue (disappointed you didn't believe me in my previous post though ;-)

-Frank P.
    OK, then, riddle me this:

If at least some pre-03 pre-2nd-gen Foresters came with 16" wheels, then would any used 16" Forester wheel fit correctly on the newer models? I'm still shopping for 4 wheels for snows. Obviously no 15" will work, but what about 1st-gen 16 inchers? Will they clear the larger '03 brakes?

Also, were there any earlier-gen 16" steel wheels that would fit, or were all 16-inchers alloy?
  • subkidsubkid Posts: 94
    I think that all 16" pre 2003 rims are alloys

K
  • joenhjoenh Posts: 11
    I don't know about other years and models, but our 2002 Forester came with P215/R16 94H's on alloy rims. I went looking for some used steel rims for snows and ended up with 15" steel rims. Tires are P215/R15 96Q Dunlop Graspic's. Haven't put them to any winter test yet, but they fit up fine with the same O.D.

Joe
  • lbhaleylbhaley Posts: 91
    Jack, I called my Subaru dealer before I tricked Tire Rack into selling me the 16" steel wheel/snow tire combo package for my XT. He said that factory steel wheels were over $100 a piece but he could get me universal 16" steel wheels for under $50. He said a lot of the WRX guys were using them. I don't know if any dealers in your area are offering them, but it might be worth a call. The combo package from Tire Rack is working out great as I expected.

-les
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    Jack,

FYI, the 16" wheels from the 2000-2004 Outback have the same offset as the 16" Forester wheels. I have a set of 16" steel '03 Forester wheels with Blizzaks mounted for my wife's '03 Outback.

Len
    FYI, the 16" wheels from the 2000-2004 Outback have the same offset as the 16" Forester

That will let me expand my eBay search somewhat. But does this mean Legacy 16" wheels have different offsets than Outbacks?
  • m4ethm4eth Posts: 101
    Have had them on since day one. Zero issues.....very nice to have when you are stopped and want to crack a window without the water dripping in.

Was meticulous in mounting them which I think was the problem with people woho complained of the noise.

Bought them from a dealer in New Hampshire....IIRC...$125

Please give me a brand name...and name of dealer in New Hampshire.

Thanks, Mike
  • eb12eb12 Posts: 16
    We once had 29.8 MPG on almost all hiway and interstate driving in central and northeast Indiana.
  • rsay777rsay777 Posts: 100
    Now that the freeze/thaw of winter has turned our roads into a bombscape. I have found that the 03X is very good at doing the slalom around the pot holes. Bob L.
    When the entire snow-packed road surface has been turned into a king-sized version of corrugated sheet metal by zillions of tire chains, no amount of dodging avoids the continuous bone-jarring impacts...
  • m4ethm4eth Posts: 101
    I finally found a frameless weather shield for the Subaru Forester...however the web site is located in Australia...the design is a one piece tinted plastic that inserts into the upper window frame allowing the window to be lowered slightly so interior can be vented for hot weather and during rain. Too bad the accessory is not sold in the US.
    Web site address is:

http://subaru.com.au/explore/forester/accessorydetail.asp?item=17- - - - - 058&accessory=18673

OK you US suppliers...why not here???? It would be an open market.

Mike
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    ballistic: I'd be happy to let a local second-gen Forester owner *cough*bluesubie*cough* test-fit one of my car's 16" alloys. ;-)

Ed
This discussion has been closed.