Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• psfod3psfod3 Posts: 63
    I drive my 03 Forester x around 30,000 miles per year. I change the cabin filter around every 10,000 miles. Anyone know a less expensive place to get the filters? They seem to cost alot when I get them at the dealer.
    This is a great car I put 60,000 miles on it in two years. It is wonderful. If anyone does alot of driving I have to say the seat cushion is way to hard to be comfortable in for long drives. I was on vacation in Orlando this summer and I rented a ford Tarus I could not believe how much softer and more comfortable the seat was. I do not understand what they had in mind in their seat design.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I'd say once a year is often enough, so that would save some money. Some people have been able to buy 3M home air filters, cut to size, and use the material in the stock cartridge. There's probably material 5-6 filters.

Craig
  • Adequate seat support is a priority for me since I drive my own vehicles for business use with trips up to 5 hours & due to my back surgery many years ago. I find my '04 XT PP driver's seat to be very supportive & help eliminate fatigue. I felt more stiffness & fatigue driving either of my V6 & V8 Taurus SHO's for business, having contoured power seats with lumbar supports & side bolsters, than in my lumbar equipped XT over the past 19k. Everyone may have different preferences & it's difficult to judge the seats unless you get enough seat time...fortunately, I had access to my son's XT before my purchase to verify the seat suited my needs.
  • rochcomrochcom Posts: 247
    The lease looks like a great deal for drivers who put on average mileage, but it is not offered in New York or Hawaii and is limited in Rhode Island. Mileage limit is 12,000. Additional miles $.15 each.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I prefer firm seats also, but we are all shaped differently and each of us has a unique preference.

I rent Tauruses once in a while and I can't stand those spongy seats, they are way too unsupportive for me. YMMV.

-juice
  • a_buma_bum Posts: 16
    My wife wants to replace her '95 civic with the '05 Forester. The civic has horrible a/c that can't handle Florida heat in the summer. We test drove the Forester and the a/c felt somewhat under-powered. Anyone live in a really hot climate that can comment on Forester a/c in the middle of summer?
  • We live in East-central Florida below Daytona Beach and bought our gold 05 Forester XS in mid-July, trading in a white 99 Chrysler T&C Ltd. We are both older folks who find too much heat and humidity to be debilitating, so we prefer to be in the shade and in a breeze whenever we are out of doors, which is no more often than necessary.

So far, we have found the A/C to be immediate and more than adequate for the temperatures we have encountered since our purchase. And that is without any extra window tinting.
    No problems in hot old Virginia. The AC on my wife's 03 Forester was always more than adequate.

I had a 93 Civic and the AC was indeed weak.

Craig
  • I'm looking to buy a 2005 Forester but am hesitant after seeing that the rating for the Forester here on Edmunds is less than the other Subaru models. Why is that?
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Look at the rating for the 2004 it was over 9.0 . On the 2005 it has has not had alot of replies yet but one of them it was a very low rating that I would question . Look at consumer reports it was the TOP rated small SUV over the RV4 and CRV. Good luck... Matt
  • I know what you mean. I have a hard time figuring out what the ratings mean. Truthfully, since the new models haven't been out that long I would wonder what a bad rating would mean. I read all the ratings for the Forester and some people didn't like it because to them the seats were uncomfortable or the interior seemed cheesy. I find my seats in my 2005 Forester to be very comfortable, so who knows. I am more concerned with safety and reliability issues. Forester ranks very high in the crash tests when compared to other cars in it's class. It is a top pick in Consumer reports and they seem to factor in comfort, drivability, safety and reliability.

Good luck with your decision.
  • If you're referring to the consumer ratings, did you take a hard look at the 18 reviews? Pretty obvious if you're looking only at the average with its small sample size. You might want to also check the reviews on the '04's. As with any editor / magazine / owner reviews on anything, they have to be taken as a very rough guideline in your analysis & decision to purchase...you may or may not agree based on your experience, needs & preferences for each make / model / option pkg. Any issues raised reflecting a problematic trend or flaw would get my attention immediately for further investigation.

If you have any specific concerns or questions, please advise.
  • psfod3psfod3 Posts: 63
    One of my fog lights on my 03 Forester just went out. I normally change headlight bulbs on my own. The owners manual says to let the dealer do it. It looks like I have to take the bottom cover off. Does anyone know how hard it is? Or where I can get instrctions on how to do it? Thanks
  • mckeownmckeown Posts: 165
    If someone could tell me how I could send you a private message to get your email address, I would gladly send you the .pdf files from the online manual I have which will show how to remove the foglight assy, then replace the bulb.
  • gotbgotb Posts: 39
    Could you also send the .pdf file to my e-mail address? temp030@hanmail.net

Where did you find the online manuals?
  • mckeownmckeown Posts: 165
    There is an on place at Subaru you can signup for 24 hr access to all their .pdf manuals and download as many as you could in that short subscription period. But the 2002 and older manual names made no sense (MS5TL36A02 was radiator fans).
    I purchased a CD-Rom with the 2003/2004 manuals on it. A little more clumsy than the paper manuals I am used to. But I paid about $30 vs the $375 for the 2002 Forester manuals.
    I got my CD-Rom from a supplier in Mass. I found him with an online search. Also got my wife's 04 Highlander there also.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Please don't put your email addresses in your posts - the forums are searchable via Google and other engines. Your email address in your profile is only available to members - it is not visible to the general internet like posts.

kcram
    Host - Wagons

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• We are considering purchasing a Forester XT,and will be taking vacations to Orlando, Florida and Melbourne, Australia in the next three months.

Does anyone know the rental agencies that use Subrau Foresters in Orlando and Melbourne?

Thanks,

Don Luce
    I have rented Subarus from Hertz in other parts of the country.

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    In Florida I seriously doubt it. They rent in places like Colorado, mostly.

In Australia, though, you may have more luck. Subaru is big there, they have a ton more market share than they do here in the US.

If Graham frequents these boards maybe he can answer, he lives Down Under.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.