Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• 98in_cuse98in_cuse Posts: 9
    Juice wrote: Did you get an estimate for the work?

Thanks for the advice - I tried to answer yesterday but the message didn't post:
    the timing belt is around $450, the "quick-fix" cylinder rebuild is $850 and the two new cylinders are $2500. If they find the clutch needs replacement it will be another $750. The timing belt would be no charge with either the cylinder rebuild or replacement.

I'm still weighing my options and hope to look at the 2006 before deciding what to do. I know the timing belt needs to be done soon as I'm pushing my luck on that.

The car may be worth about $4500 as a trade-in.

Kathy
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'd pay the $850. That's about 2 car payments. Odds are pretty darn good that you will extend your ownership for 2 months, I'm sure you'll do much better than that actually.

Given the included timing belt, that's what I would choose. It's only $400 extra, and that's just one single car payment!

Given the mileage I wouldn't even object to a new clutch. But if it's not slipping I wouldn't change it.

I'd do the $850 job even if you will trade it in - the buyer will want to see reciepts for the belt.

Best of luck and please keep us posted, we'll try to help out in any way we can.

-juice
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Posts: 426
    Thanks for posting the info. I am also looking for a set for my wife's new Bean.

Back in 01 I was looking for a set for my Forester because I always have my window open somewhat. I was running into the same problem with Subaru making them but not making them available on this side of the ocean. I asked Subaru why and they said they used to offer them but stopped.

In this Forum lakepop found a dealer in N.H (Exeter) that had contact with a company that made a clone of the Subaru part. He would special order a bunch at a time and sell them for $125 plus shipping. Several of us bought some, me personally, 3 sets. My wife and I each have Foresters, my second (now her second too).

My wife misses them on her new 05, as I would :cry: , so I contacted Exeter. Alas, they have no idea what I was talking about. "Mike" seems to have left with the info. :mad:

I need to talk to a parts guy anyway, so I will ask if he has access to the Subaru part, since we now have the part number. That way it would be sort of a "group buy". I don't expect miracles but it is worth asking.

Has anyone been keeping count on how many are interested? I would assume the price would be less than $150, if available.

Somewhere I have the packaging for the clones. I remember searching for more info when I got them, to no avail. I do remember it was a Canadian company. Maybe someone up north has info, or could ask around.

Frank
    Thanks, Juice - I was leaning that way after looking around and considering the idea of getting back into car payments (4 years without them so far). I may wait just a bit more before doing this project, though, to accumulate more Subaru bucks!

The body is still pretty good - remarkable for where I live in a winter salt-saturated zone...

Thanks again for the help, Kathy
  • rdbandkabrdbandkab Posts: 17
    Looks like I can get a class 2 hitch with the 1 1/4" receiver for the Forester.....then I can get an adapter to get the receiver to a 2" opening. All with a tongue weight max of 300 lbs. Dirtbike and rack below 300 by 20-30 lbs. Will the Forester's suspension handle that kind of weight over the back? Or will I be popping wheelies?

thanks!
    rich
    Galvanized steel, Kathy. :)

Don't wait too long, OK? That belt could snap.

Rich: the tongue is rated for 200 lbs. So that's pushing it a little. You don't want to lift the front wheels and lose steering traction.

-juice
  • rdbandkabrdbandkab Posts: 17
    Thanks juice.

I figured an aftermarket hitch could get me the tongue weight I required, but the suspension might not be up to it... :)
  • vtdogvtdog Posts: 163
    I work about 10 min from that dealer (didn't buy there for a number of reasons) I will check about the vents.
    Don't be surprised if they stare at you blankly. Mike used to be in charge of parts, and was helpful AND a nice guy. The guy I exchanged messages with said that Subaru stopped making those a while ago, and we know that isn't true. He knew nothing about the clones, and didn't seem interested. He said IF they sold them he knew nothing about it. I told him there was no "if", I had bought 3 sets, 1 of which was still in the driveway on my 02.

When I first got my 01 I hated that I had to wipe water off the door armrest switches while I was driving in rain, and on hot days I couldn't leave the windows open enough to vent when parked because of possible rain, and security. I really like my wife's 05 but I would not swap my Forester for a new one if I couldn't have the side visors. I am spoiled. She misses them more than she thought she would.

Good luck.

Frank
    Juice - I forgot to mention that the estimated life of the $850 repair is 1 1/2 years, though it could be more. That's OK if I'm just trying to get it to last a couple more years for my use, but is it a liability on a trade-in if I decide to do that in the near future?

What do you think? Thanks for the input and I'm thinking more about that timing belt! :)

Kathy
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    If anyone is looking for a UK dealer, try http://www.bell-colvill.co.uk/ .
    I haven't actually ordered from them but I corresponded with them on something that I thought I needed (center caps for Euro 17" Forester wheels).

In the U.S. try http://www.cc-b.com . I ordered my wheels from them. It took over two months because they were held up with a WRX wheel group buy, but I finally got them.

-Dennis
  • lakepoplakepop Posts: 221
    Just a follow up on Franks post . A few of us purchased the window vents and I for one have had zero issues with them. They are stilll on my 01 Forester and will miss them greatly when I upgrade. They were meticulously installed and have never produced any of the issues (whistling..etc) that people have said they cause. Moreover they eliminated the door /window open drip which was a huge pain.

So I reccomend them if they can be found. Hopefully I can get mine off when I upgrade.

Just my .02

lakepop
  • ishmaelishmael Posts: 1
    Has anybody actually seen the 2006 Forester cargo space yet? It can matter whether the loss is just a result of lower rooflines or whether the new rear seats don't fold flat. I may be able to see one of the new models this weekend and will post what I find.
    Hi lakepop, I think of you every time it rains. :)

I put on the 3 sets I bought, and I agree they all have been trouble free. As I understand it some complaints of whistling on other Subaru vehicles were the reason that conservative Subaru stopped offering them here. Too bad because they are an excellent addition to the Forester.

It is funny you mention taking them off to transfer. I was measuring both Foresters to see if they would fit. I think so.

What is a little confusing is that the current part number is different from the Subaru number you and I had for our 01s. The new ones seem to have clips too, which ours didn't have. I would hate to rip them off and then find out they don't fit. :surprise:

I would measure about 400 times and maybe make a template before I started prying. :D

Do you remember the name of the company that made our clones?

Frank
    18 months at the average car payment of $400 comes out to $7200 worth of car payments if you chose to get a new one instead.

I'd still fix it. :-)

I've driven a 2006 Forester, the cargo area didn't seem any different. I folded the seats back at the NY auto show and don't recall a big change, either. But I did not fold the seats on my recent preview drive because at the time I didn't see any need.

-juice
    Doesn't look any different to me. LL Bean has those rub strips to make loading easier.

-juice
  • Juice--did you ever find out for sure about what happens when the timing belt snaps? :blush: I'm a couple thousand overdue, myself.

Subspicious--I found the missing cargo space in the Forester. They put it in the Tribeca.
  • Hi all,

Further to my previous posts ... Got my 05 XS Premium (leather & moon) last week -- great car except my wife is the one who gets to drive it (she makes more money) to work and I get the Corolla. Oh well.

But ... I am confused from previous posts to this forum on the security (alarm) system. Up here in Canada, there is nothing factory-installed on any Forester but from what I seemed to have read here, perhaps this isn't true for the U.S.? I'm scheduled to get one installed by my dealer next week, a Subaru supplied one. Debated getting a Viper system from a retailer/installer here in town (they are going to tint my windows next week anyway) but their alarm would in fact cost more than my dealer's.

If I'm wrong and the US cars don't have any alarm built in, is there anyone here who has installed the Subaru one? Not only is it cheaper but I figure would have less chance of mucking up the electrical system and hence warranty, etc.

Mike in Canada
    Not for certain, but I seem to recall the DOHC models being interference. Even if they aren't you could get stranded.

If you have more than 105k miles change that belt! :o)

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Not sure if the Subaru is an "interference" engine. If it is, and the belt snaps, you can expect some serious and expensive damage to occur. If it's not an interference engine, it shouldn't be too bad, other than leaving you stranded.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.