Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Thanks for the gallery, Tom. Detroit used to sell you a monochrome car unless you ponied up enough bucks to buy the deluxe "two-tone" version. Just the opposite with Forester. To my eye the more expensive monotone XS model is much more attractive than the base model where the cladding is a different shade. Duotone cladding isn't so intrusive in a side view, but the cladding and plastic on the front of the car is too much for me when it doesn't match the rest of the car. I'm proably senstive to this because I have some unattractive cladding on my own lower body panels!

Like the way the black bar across the back gate matches the B and C pillars and roof rack. Rear fender flare reminds me of Toyota Land Cruiser. Someone posted earlier about the way the grill looks human; how about those headlights that look like eyes? New Forester seems to be growling. Commendable near-absence of bling bling.
  • pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    ...in the Forester interior for the JApanese and US models ? I can understand Sabuaru's reluctance to provide a Turbo version in the US, why no arm-rests ? The seat attached arm-rests are much better than the arm-rest extension you get right now. ALso the [non-permissible content removed] model stereo system looks much cooler than the US one.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    An oil pressure gauge is important. Mazda used to have a real one on the Miata, now they use a dummy gauge that just measure the presence of "some" pressure.

I've heard stories of oil filters failing, clogging up, and engines blowing up. My working oil gauge would have shown the high pressure, but a dummy gauge would not.

So, with the guage, it's an $8 repair. Without the gauge, it's about $8,000. Well, not quite. ;-)

To be fair the XT6 was really a luxury touring coupe. Corrected for inflation, it would be priced well above the WRX today.

Jeff: sounds like you got a bad set of gaskets/seals, or perhaps the oil was contaminated and caused damage? I'd shorten the oil change interval to 3k miles in your case.

You can still probably get an extended warranty, but the 2003 Forester looks pretty good, and that's an excuse to get one (I always look at the bright side of things).

Nice collection of pix, Tom. In some of the interior shots, I noticed the rear seat seems to be a bit farther back, in relation to the C-pillar. Looks like a couple of inches back or so. Some of the shots show better leg room, at least a little better.

I see no cup holders whatsoever. I'm sure it has them, but where?

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    My experience was when I was drving back to college from the Christmas break in a FWD Dodge Colt. When I left home the temp was around 40 and it was raining. I was driving down out of the mountains and I lost about 1500 feet of elevation in the first hour of the trip. Thinking I was smart, I KNEW that the outside temp HAD to go up as the elevation decreased so of course the thought of ice never entered my mind. Well needless to say I was way wrong. My first indication that the temperature had fallen was when I crossed an interstate bridge, suddenly did a 180, and found myself facing a tractor trailer with both of us going 55-60mph down the highway. Somehow or other I managed to do another 180 and ended up heading in the right direction again and still on the road. It turns out that I was driving straight into a major ice storm. I saw more wrecks that day than I've seen in the rest of my life combined. There were even wreckers trying to rescue wreckers. Being young and foolish, I pressed on, driving @ 25mph with two wheels on the shoulder for traction and stopping every 30 min to clear the accumulated ice off the windshield. I finally made it but what would normally would have been a 5 hour trip ended up taking over 9 that day.

The moral of this story? It's made me appreciate my Forester's outside temp guage, windshield de-icing element, and of course its AWD!

-Frank P.
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    It's funny. After I had my ice experience, all these hitting-the-ice-stories came out that I'd never heard before. It was like these dark family secrets that were never spoken about before could now be told that I was in the "club". My sister told be about rolling a car in upstate NY and hanging upside down in her seatbelt. My brother told me about the time he went sideways in his TR3 but straightened out at the last minute and was OK; then told of how a few days before I'd had my experience, he'd come off a hill and slid right through an intersection. My Dad told be about coming back to Ohio from Pennsylvania and hitting a frozen bridge that curved slightly,and sliding across it, just missing the rails all the way. My father-in-law suddenly confessed that he'd totaled his first MGB on the ice (I'd known about the MGB he'd had in college -- but never that he'd had two and totaled the first one). And my mother, my dear sweet little mother, who'd never had an ice experience suddenly told me about putting the front end of a car under a farm truck when she could not stop on a gravel road.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    My best trick was on an icy mountain road in Vermont (which I didn't know was icy until it was too late). I was on my way home from skiing to my friend's cabin. Going up the hill to his house, I noticed that my car was mysteriously slowing down even though the RPMs were going up. Finally, the car came to a standstill, and then began to slide backwards faster and faster, all while in 2nd gear with the wheels turning (FWD 89 Dodge Shadow). I took my foot off the throttle and tapped the brakes. The car did a 180, at which point I let off the brakes and rolled down the hill nonchalantly.

Afterwards, I parked at the bottom and walked up the hill. Despite being a dirt road, it was a sheet of ice. Looking at the tracks, I noticed that I did my 180 maneuver within the 10 foot width of the road, inches away from going over the edge of the mountain. Talk about lucky. I couldn't have planned a better maneuver if I tried!

Craig
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    A couple years back, I was driving up to Yosemite in the winter late at night. It was cold but the highway was clear so I was doing about 70mph.

I noticed what looked like a little creek that had run down the embankment and spilled over the entire section of the road. As I started over this section, my Forester began drifting to the left of the road even though my steering wheel was pointed straight. The "creek" turned out to be black ice.

Luckily, I didn't freak and I let up the gas a bit and waited as my Forester continued to drift over the double yellow line into the oncoming lane. Luckily, there were no other cars and after another 50ft or so, I was able to steer back onto the right side of the road.

Had there been oncoming traffic, it would have been a pretty ugly scene.

Ken
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    The engine noise I had appeared to be a result of the tensioner. While the dealer could not duplicate (it only occured with cold engine for 10-15 minutes) they did adjust the tensioner...since I only had 3500 miles they saw no need for new parts. Have not had the problem since adjustment.

Can't imagine a winter package without a temperture gage...we discussed this on the Outback
    board when the '00's came out, I believe they added one in '01. I have had to live with a Radio Shack add on in my '00 Outback Ltd. I am happy to have it in the '02 Forester S+. As a skier it helps me to know if the precipation is going to be rain or snow...among other things.

Jerry
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    I also looked at the 2002 CRV and Forester. As it was going to be my wife's car the final decision was hers. She had always liked the CRV and was expecting to love the 2002. The CRV is a good car; more power, the rear seats slide forward and back to some degree, flip and tumble forward against the back seats, a little more height room in the back; but when she drove the Forester immediately after driving the CRV she knew she wanted the Forester. It simply drove more like a car for her, and not like a small suv. I was happy because of the Foresters' standard list of "options" on the L and I would have had to look at the EX on the CRV for these; at which time I would have looked at the S Forester and seen what kind of a deal I could make. I also think you can make a better deal on a Forester, unless you're not in a hurry for a CRV and can wait until the 'hype' cools down.
    If it was me I might have chosen the CRV; but it was a no lose situation.
    Good luck in deciding.
    The Melbourne Herald (Australia)preferred the Forester over the 2002 CR-V -- four stars to two. Handling and 4WD systems were sited as the principle reasons.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
  • sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    I've been considering getting my windows tinted on my 2002 Forester L. Is there anything I should be aware of when shopping for this service?

Is the rear window defroster a problem area? How about the side integrated antenna?

I've done some basic research on the tinting itself and discovered that I want metal film and would probably get all 7 windows done. I do realize that in most states the driver and front passenger windows are illegal to tint, but I'm considering a medium tint and think it won't be a problem, in other words not the type of thing to garner attention.

How about price? Does it really reduce the interior heat? Does it reduce fading problems? Etc.. Thanks for the feedback!

P.S. Welcome back Juice!

-Donn
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Yes, it definitely reduces heat. I lived in central Texas with a black BMW that you could never get below 90F in the summer with the a/c full blast. After tinting not only did it cool it got cold in the car if you left it on full blast.

Your local tint shops will know the laws for your state. Additional, you might call some of the high-end luxury brand dealerships and ask who does their tinting for them to find a good shop.

In Texas, the tint shops put a sticker, required by law, under the tint that states the tint complies with the law, allowing law enforcement to tell at a glance if you are in compliance. Unfortunately, the sticker doubles as advertising for the tint shop

ASK if this is done and what the sticker looks like. My tint shop uses a white sun emblem. IT LOOKED HORRID on my all black car. I stopped noticing it about 3 months later fortunately.

The only other thing I know to ask about is guarantee against fading and how the color changes as it fades.

My tint ran about $165. IIRC. I'd guess for a quality job you are looking at around $200.
    I didn't have a clue about how Soobies vary in popularity by region until recently. Juice recently mentioned seeing 3 Soobies on a trip to Florida, and in context I thought he was implying that was evidence they were getting more popular down there. Here in Minnesota it is hard to be out of sight of a Soobie. I parked in a small lot by a city park today: 25 cars, of which 6 were Soobies.

I'd like to think this proves Minnesotans are intelligent and charmingly deviant in the way so many Soobie owners are. Alas, it probably says more about our vile weather.
    I live in southern New Mexico, which in a since is an entirely different state than northern New Mexico. In n. NM the Subaru is pretty popular -- snow, mountains, skiing etc., quirky people -- consider it an extension of Colorado. The Subaru is increasingly popular down here too (we are an extension of Texas and Mexico) -- I'm seeing more and more, and in the full range: Imprezi, Outbacks, Outback Sports, Foresters (many more Foresters). It does not snow or rain down here much, but we New Mexicans drive a lot and we go where the snow is, and there are mountains everywhere. And we have lots of old Subies -- we are a state that appreciates a good older car and our climate preserves the sheet metal well. The dust, however, is another thing.

The last time I went to Florida (the state of my nativity) I was surprised by the number of Subies I saw. There were even two Outbacks for rent at the rental establishment we used. And there are a surprising number of dealerships -- the Tampa Bay Area is very well covered.
  • jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    I live in Lubbock, Texas and we just got a Subaru Dealership only about 1-2 years ago. I considered Subaru a few years ago, but was concerned that the closest dealer was about 100 miles away. Now, before you say well-yea-Lubbock, let me tell you our population is ~200,000. I realize that's not a metroplex kind of number, but I thought significant. Anyway, just information and I'm glad we finally got a dealership.

Jim
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I hope he's good dealership. Nothing can ruin the love affair with an automobile quicker than a lousy dealer. If he's the only one around for 100 miles or so, they could easily develop an "attitude," if you know what I mean.

Bob
  • jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    Actually I am kind of concerned because it is a Cadillac/Lexus/and now Subaru Dealer. They only have a few Subarus on the lot, and I have noticed their advertized price for a basic Forester-L, is about $900 more than one advertized in the Dallas area. I am seriously considering buying from the Dallas area and take it here locally for needed oil changes/repairs. When I am ready to buy (soon), I will give them first shot, but I can already here it...Hope I am wrong and they treat me well. If they do, they will have a long time customer as I intend to buy a Forester soon for my wife and something Subaru for myself next year.
    I have also convinced my daughter that Subaru is the way to go and we will get her a Forester or Legacy wagon in the near future. Anyway, thanks for the post. I enjoy the people and comments here on the Subaru boards.

Jim
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Please, folks -- HELP!

I bought my 2002 Forester S a week ago today, and on Friday, I tried to fill the car up at a Shell station. I couldn't get the pump to stop cutting out on me -- like the tank was full! I tried two different pumps and took nearly 20 minutes to get a half tank before I gave up.

Today, I tried BP and Exxon pumps and could only get 5 gallons out in 10 minutes because the little fuel filler neck reservoir kept filling up.

What's wrong?! If this has happened to you with your new Forester S, please share your story. I'm desperate -- and nearly stranded without gas!

Thanks,
    burnsmr4
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    burnsmr4-- I've had that happen occasionally but all I have to do is back the nozzle out about 1-2 inches and the pump works fine from there on. I remember reading a thread months ago on i-club about a guy with a WRX who had the same problem. I went back to search for it and found that it was posted back in October. Most responses suggested that it was gas station dependent but the last post made the most sense: A faulty or defective tank vent. That person had it replaced by the dealer and all is well.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=97285

Good luck!

--'rocco
    If not try: this one

--'rocco
    ...just found another even older i-club thread on the problem. However, nothing resolved as far as if it really is a problem with the car. Interesting reading though.

The guy posing the question did confront the dealer's service advisor and actually took him to the gas station to witness what it was doing. No resolution however.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=54728

--'rocco
    juice posted earlier saying he couldn't see cupholders in the new Forester. Bob found a Canadian site http://www.forester2003.ca that has a pretty good description. Says there are four cupholders, two in front center console and two in back center console.
    Tinting your Forester's windows is a good idea given the amount of glass on our vehicles.

The rear window defroster shouldn't be a problem. Also, the tint goes on the inside of your windows so it shouldn't affect your radio reception.

In California, you can tint the two front side windows if it's greater than a 70% tint. The purpose of this tint is to block UV versus privacy and glare.

I have 20% on all my windows behind the driver and it drastically reduced the amount of heat during the summer. Also, the 70% tint I have on the front side windows make a huge difference. My arms were a lot less sun tanned after driving this last summer with them.

The cost of tinting varies quite a bit with the quality of the film you use. Dyed films are the least expensive and you can find jobs for well under $200 (five windows behind driver). Premium metallic films will probably push you beyond $200.

Ken
    But I can't see the front cupholders in the pic from the ca. site or how they work. Can someone explain? I do see them (to the left of the radio) in the JDM model in this pic from Tom's album but it's in a vertical position. How does that work?? ...pops out and then reverts to a horizontal position?

Click here to see the JDM pic from Tom's album.

--'rocco
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    The tachometer in my 2001 FS is my first.
    When on cruise control, it seems that the the needle should drift down in situations where mpg should be enhanced (i.e., on long inclines, or when in the draft of a big rig on the turnpike, or when getting a boost from a brisk wind on the back). Conversely, it should take a bit more rpm to maintain a constant speed when going uphill, and so forth. As is, the tach needle is as steady as the mph needle.
    Is my logic whacked, or is the instrument simply not sensitive enough to register confirmation of what I rightly expect?
    Also, I don't ever recall seeing a "low on gas" warning light, even when on empty and sucking up some of those famous two extra gallons. When does your warning light come on?
    Thanks!
    Joe
  • caperosiercaperosier Member Posts: 58
    Just returned from a round about from northern Maine to Savannah/Knoxville with our 2001 Forester L manual. Comfortable at all speeds, in all conditions--heavy to light traffic and high to city speeds, handling in all kinds of weather.
    What a difference the Symmetrys made ! They were secure on ice, on slush, on snow, in heavy rain. They were quiet at cruising speeds to boot.
    We'll see what kind of wear we get, but the warranty is for 65K and real users and the dealer think that 50K is a minimum for real life.
    This was a palpable qualitive difference with the Bridgestone Duelers that HAD to be replaced at 25K and were useless from the first day.
    I was surprised that the Symmetrys did so well at high speeds on southern highways like the New Jersey Turnpike and Routes 95 further south.
    Forester is now a better vehicle with quality, reliable rubber for all conditions. Change now if you run into any kind of normal winter weather.
    Flames are expected.
    For a given gear, engine RPM and road speed are always proportional. The overall gear ratio controls the ratio between RPM and MPH. So, the engine RPM will always be the same for a given road speed. The only time this would change is if something in the drivetrain (like the clutch or transmission) were to slip.

In cases where the drag goes down or you get a boost from a tail wind, the RPM will not change, but the engine load will decrease and the engine will use less fuel to maintain that RPM. So the real thing that varies is the throttle and fuel/air flow rate. If you could monitor the fuel rate, you would see that go down. Some people also monitor the engine vaccum pressure for a measure of engine loading.

Craig
    Joe-- I once let my fuel level drop as low as I could in order to check that the warning lamp was functioning properly (it doesn't come on when the ignition is turned to the "on" position as do the rest of the warning lamps ...for some strange reason). As soon as the warning lamp lit, I headed for my local gas station less than a mile from where I was. From my recollection, when I filled up, the nozzle clicked-off at a hair over 13.5 gallons. I remember thinking that the warning lamp was almost dead-on accurate. I think the owner's manual states that the warning lamp will light when the level reaches approximately 2.3 gallons and since the capacity is 15.9 gallons, the warning light came on at just about the right point. *whew* I don't know if I want to let the level drop to where the warning light comes on again but it's nice to know that it's working properly!

--'rocco
    Thanks much for your post, and for that pins-n-needles risk you took in exploring the limits. My previous Chevy and Ford "warned" me of low gas just a bit below 3/4 tank mark. I came to regard that light in those vehicles more as a polite notification than a warning.
    Joe
    Joe-- yeah, like I say, I'd just as soon not let the fuel level drop that low on a regular basis but when you think about it, at a minimum of 21 mpg, that's almost 50 miles one can drive before running out of gas. And, yup, I've had cars in the past that seemed to have the light come on at 1/4 of a tank too ...like you say, a courtesy warning but probably a better idea overall.

--'rocco
    'rocco,

Those cupholders are like the ones that used to be on the Legacys. The two 'halves' of the cupholder pop out.

Go to the following link, click on the last category (#5) to see the interior features and then look at the right hand of the screen at the image labeled '4' in the corner.

http://www.subaru.co.jp/forester/characteristic/index.html?freedom

Ken

• hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Interestingly, the JDM version is different from the NA. maybe Brian can shed some light. He was at the Chicago Auto Show, and brought back good pics. Check it out over at "Photo Gallery" thread.

-Dave
    'rocco,

If you look at Brian's pictures of the Forester from the Chicago Auto Show (Photo Gallery topic in Subaru Crew), you'll notice that the cupholders on the NA Forester are next to the e-brake.

The JDM model looks like it gets an extra power outlet on the center console instead. Look at the link I gave you in my previous message and check out item #11. Too bad. I'd rather have that than two big holes for my latte.

Ken
    Ken-- ah ha, now I get the whole picture. I now see the cupholders and do remember that position being discussed previously. And I noticed in my last post, which I deleted, I kept referring to "center console" and what I was meaning to say is the center control panel so it got sort of confusing to know exactly what I meant to say. Thanks for deciphering my words and clearing things up.

--'rocco
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Folks,

I just put my new 2002 Subaru Forester S in the shop after 8 days of ownership for the aforementioned gas pump issue.

What infuriates me is that the guy who prepped the car may or may not have mentioned the problem to the sales manager 2 days AFTER I took delivery of the vehicle. Apparently, it's happened to one other vehicle sold from the dealership -- some sort of sensor which tells the fuel system that the car's tank is full, thus shutting off the fuel filler neck.

Has anyone else had this problem at all? It really concerns me that I'm in a damn Ford Focus SE only 8 days after the purchase.

Thanks,
    burnsmr4

P.S. - I bought the Subaru to get rid of a Mercury because I was tired of spending my Town Hall time bitchin' and fussin' about problems with the vehicle. How ironic that I'm here now doing the same damn thing. :-(
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    on crash engineering of the new Forester.

Bob

http://www.veh-tech.net/
  • bobo39bobo39 Member Posts: 11
    I had the same problem with my '02 Forester S very shortly after I got it. I also had the CEL light on intermittently at the time. Took it in, they took it apart (took gas tank off) and said it was a sensor on the tank. Replaced the part and has not happened since. What amazed me at the time, was when I got it back after hearing this, it still had what I thought was the same amount of gas in it.
    Thank you, Bobo!

You're only the second person that has reportedly had this same problem. How long did it take to show up? Did you discover the problem right after you took delivery? My dealership might have known the day I took delivery, seeing as they had to fill it up themselves before I drove it off the lot. Would have been nice to have told me, huh?

Have you considered reporting the issue to the NHTSA? I thought about it, simply because when I think fuel system, I think fire hazard. Heaven forbid the problem crop up 6 months down the road and spew gasoline all over me or something.

Later,
    burnsmr4
    Bob -- Interesting link. The article makes it sound like Forester owners were beating up their rides by taking them down rough roads! The new location of the horns would make it sound like it's harder to upgrade them.

burnsmr4 -- I thought the same thing too: wouldn't the dealer have encountered the same problem when they prepped it for you and filled the gas?

Ken
    Burns: that stinks, no doubt. Just keep it in perspective - new cars typically have a defect or two, at least. I was just reading Consumer Reports, and their Lexus had two, their Acura had two, and their Jaguar had six. You have one? Better than average, then.

Please stick around and keep us posted on the resolution. If it takes one visit, great. Three visits? Now that's a problem.

I had tint installed on 7 windows for $170. It was SolarGard dyed film, 35%. It reduces glare at night and the A/C is bone-chilling cold.

Cup holder pix, finally. Funny how I hardly use them, but I was curious about that.

Cape: glad to hear the Symmetry tires are working for you. This is a flame-free zone. ;-)

-juice
  • bobo39bobo39 Member Posts: 11
    Burnsmr4,

The gas-flap happened within the first 500 miles and within the first two weeks. I put a 150 on it the first afternoon I got it(boy was my wife mad at me for putting that many miles on it without her!).

The CEL showed up within the first week, I took it back, they reset the computer - Light went off. Then the CEL started coming on and off on it's own accord without regard to the gas cap. I made another appointment for the next Friday.

Then one day I was trying to fill it and it took less than a dollars worth, I kept pumping and it kept on quitting until I finally got to a dollars worth (I was not going to pay 69 cents for gas).

I waited for the appointment I had already made and drove my back-up vehicle, a '72 Chevy 1/2 Ton, until I could get in. I was not going to drive it until I could get it fixed.

Nothing to report since this, BrianH aka BoBo.

Hope this helps
  • caperosiercaperosier Member Posts: 58
    Our 2001 Forester L had the same problem in Knoxville a couple of weeks ago. Even though we were over warranty by 800 miles, the dealer reset the computer at no charge. The service manager did warn that this will (not can) re-occur if the gas cap is not screwed on tightly and then the CEL must be reset.
    This is not a minor defect. CR's defects usually include cosmetics in fit and finish, not safety issues. The Lexus et al had very minor "defects" in interior and exterior trim and finish.
    It does not do well for a company to compare defects; quality should stand on its own. It is why we buy Subaru, not Chrysler, or buy Honda, not GM products, or Stihl rather than Homelite. Sorry Juice, no excuses in this marketplace. Use your influence to get it fixed, not blame owners, or "others are the same."
    Lecture over.
    I would not call this a defect at all, major or minor. It is a result of the new OBD standards. A loose gas cap will trigger a "fault" in the fuel vapor recovery system. I believe this is fairly universal, on any late model car. It has happened to my wife's Mazda, a coworker's Honda, and a neighbor's Dodge. All within 1-2 years old. It seems like a fairly common pain in the butt.

When it happened to my wife's Mazda 626 (a 2000 model), the dealer wanted $72 to run a diagnostic. We checked the gas cap, and sure enough it was loose. We tightened tha cap, and I told my wife to wait a few days. The CEL went off by itself shortly thereafter.

Craig
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Require the manufacturer to have their vehicles comply with emission standards that include Advanced Evaporative Emission controls. One of the tests the system must run is a check for air leaks from the fuel system that would allow evaporating fuel to escape into the atmosphere. A loose fuel cap will cause this to happen, and when it is loose it has to trigger the CEL. This is not a manufacturing defect, it is an owners defect for not tightening the cap as instructed in the owners manual. Complain to the EPA, not the manufacturer, it's their regulation.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    I went to the San Diego Auto Show today. They didn't have many concept cars, not even the 2003 Forester, if you can believe that.

I "tried on" a number of Forester competitors and didn't like any of them. Numbers can be deceptive; I found the rear seat legroom small in all of them, the Forester wasn't that bad after all. The Escape was horrible all-around, as if built for the 18-24 age group in mind, only. The Freelander was a big disappointment, with flimsy doors that were thin and rattled and resonated for a while after closing - I can imagine what would happen on the road. The Liberty still needs a couple of years of engineering work - too many little things were just plain wrong. For example, when you exit the rear seats you slide over the rubber seals for the doors, which in turn tear and separate from the door opening…

Liked the Mazda MPV, would probably pick it over the Odyssey tin can, but would have to drive it first. The A4 Avant was a dream.

I spoke to the Subaru representative who was somewhat apologetic about the 2003 Forester not being shown. Biggest surprise: he swore to me that it will be the turbo they'll put in next year, not the H6. Not sure what to make of that, but I'll take one!

- D.
    Well, I got a call from the service director at my local dealership regarding the no-pump-gas issue around 5pm yesterday. Darn Presidents' Day holiday closed down SOA, whom they called to have an engineering confab. Apparently, they've narrowed the problem to a clogged fuel system hose. Problem is, they have to find out which hose is the culprit. Once they swap it out, problem solved.

It was painful to see my brand new Forester up on the lift with no passenger-side tire and other stuff removed. :-(

However, I understand this is probably a one-time issue. My salesperson was very good about calling me every 1-2 hours yesterday with updates. He also said that, if for some reason the car doesn't get fixed right the first time, he will do everything he can to get me into a new one -- no lemon law involved.

I still think these fuel system issues with the Foresters -- read of two other "clogged" systems that sometimes splash back gas on other forums -- should be reported to the NHTSA and put on file in their complaint database. I would have preferred to have been prepared for such a problem before I bought the car.

As opposed to being stuck up in north Georgia at midnight on a Saturday night/Sunday morning looking for a podunk gas station with less than 1.5 gallons in the tank and a 50 mile ride home. ;-)

Later,
    burnsmr4
    A CEL is IMHO very minor. Thank you, tincup (who works for a manufacturer, and not Subaru BTW), for explaining that.

I took another peek at that CR issue, and their Infiniti also had 2 defects, but their Audi actually left them stranded and required multiple visits to the dealer. Now that's a serious issue.

You say it's why we buy Subaru, but you'll recall I'm talking about Lexus, Inifiti, and Acura, all supposedly hyper-quality brands.

D: Brian put some photos in the Subaru Crew - Photo Gallery thread. You can see the 2003 Forester, including some stuff not shown anywhere else (go Brian!).

-juice
This discussion has been closed.