Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• I was thinking about getting the Subaru subwoofer/amp combination for my 2002 Forester.

Some questions:

1. Is there a significant sound upgrade?
    2. Does the amp only supply power to the subwoofer, or will the regular speakers be improved (I upgraded them to Infinitys)?
    3. Is it an easy installation?

-Steven-
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The bumpers on 1998-2000 models were the same, but they did change for 2001. I'm not sure if it touches, so it might still fit.

If you are seriously interested, call your dealer and ask them to look up a part number for yours, and see if it matches the old one.

Steven: I don't have it, but I do know the amp powers only the woofer, and the wires are all pre-installed, so it should be just plug-n-play. I doubt you even have to access the back of the stereo, but don't quote me on that one.

-juice
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Steven,

If the subwoofer is unchanged from the 98-00 Forester models (which I think it is):

1. Yes, the subwoofer's added bass is quite noticeable
    2. The subwoofer's amp only powers itself
    3. Should be plug and play

Ken
  • jplasjplas Posts: 2
    After 43,000 miles on my 1998 Forester "S" I need to replace the Yoko tires. Any suggestions.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    What type of driving do you need the tires for? Regular road driving, off-roading, autocrossing, snow, rain, etc?

Lots of choices out there.

Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Judy: were you happy with the Yokos?

I have Nitto NT460s, and they are availble in the 215/60R16 size. They are H-rated and carry a UTQG of 460AA, which means 460 tread life (very long), A for wet braking traction, A for heat resistance. Basically, those are solid ratings.

My tires are a touring tire. They are quiet, last long, and handle wet and dry roads well. The achilles' heel is snow traction, which is lousy. If you are in a warm climate, I'd consider them.

-juice
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    Steven,

I have a Clarion aftermarket subwoofer in my '01 Forester S. Like the Subaru unit, it is self-powered (100 watts) and fits under the driver's seat. It makes a world of difference in the overall sound of the system. It doesn't shake windows all over my street, but it really sounds great in the car and it doesn't take up any cargo space. I'm not good at playing with car electronics, so I had it installed at a stereo shop in my area. Since you've already upgraded speakers, the subwoofer is a logical step to take your system to the next level. Hope this helps.

Len
  • Thanks, Len! If i can be nosy for a second, how much did the aftermarket subwoofer cost you (with installation)? Did you have an amp put in at the same time?

-Steven-
    Steven,

I got a Clarion PSW160 amplified subwoofer. It cost me $255 installed. I also got an Eclipse #36401 4 channel amp. It runs the rest of the speakers, excluding the sub, although it has the capability to run a sub also. I had it installed under the front passenger seat. The rest of my system consists of a Pioneer Premier DEHP430 headunit and MB Quart speakers (components in front and coax in the rear). It sounds really nice. Crisp, clean and powerful sound, at any volume. After changing speakers, the subwoofer is the one component that made the greatest difference in the system.

Len
  • reefarooreefaroo Posts: 5
    Len,

When you say you had the amplified subwoofer mounted under the passenger seat, do you mean attached to the seat itself or on the floor?

-reefaroo
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    reefaroo- The subwoofer sits of the floor under the passenger seat.

-Frank P.
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    The factory subwoofer in my '00 S is located under the driver's seat. Anomaly?

Ed
    My subwoofer is mounted on the floor under the driver's seat, and my amp is mounted on the floor under the passenger's seat.

Len
  • I was reading about this on the Subaru Canada website tonight. This Sport package seems like a great value (except for the lack of side airbags). What I would like to know is if there is a noticeable change to the suspension compared with the other models? Or is the Sport badge mainly there because it looks sportier?
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    is purely an appearance/convenience marketing package. The mechanicals are stock.

Ross
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Whoops, my mistake. IIRC the subwoofer on the Outback is under the passenger seat.

-Frank P.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    the mesh "Canadian" Forester Sport grille better than the stock grille, and much better than the "American" Forester Sport grille.

Bob
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    didn't you realize that we get the best of everything? :~)

Ross
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Except side airbags, Ross! Grrr....

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jplasjplas Posts: 2
    Juice, wound up buying continentals,touring contact AS tread wear520 ,A,B .Yoko's didn't seem to be that good overall in handling, noise and snow. The continentals cost $ 65 + tax , including mounting, balance, valve and old tire disposal. They are suppose to be 80,000 mile tires. Will see.
This discussion has been closed.