Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Warning lights and trouble codes

Comments

• Have about 70k, 4 cylinder, auto. ext cab.

Brake warning light came on, brake res. a little low, brake petal a little soft & low. bought truck used at 30k and no brake work.

Will warning light come on with pads low? not making noise or pulling, driving spareingly for next two-three weeks when I can get it worked on.
  • Hi,

Step on your Emergency brake light - and see it it get's brighter ?? I've heard that the break warning light will com on when the emergency brake is on - AND - it will light at "partial" brightness when the computer sees a problem with the Brakes as well (i.e. ABS sensor). If what I heard is correct - it may be a wheel sensor needs replacement or adjustment ...

Please let us know what the actual fix is ???

Canufixit
  • I recently bought a 1998 s-10 with 60,000 miles, when i looked at it, the starter turned hard, and it wouldn't start on ether, but i figured the price was ok and if I put a starter on it would turn faster and start, so I put a new starter on , and now, nothing the lights buzz inside, but there is nothing inside, it came with copied keys, so I took it to a local, and he changed the colm for 400$ to a junk yard one, well, still nothing he told me to take it to a dealer, I told him all your good for is putting new parts on, so what ever, now I have a truck with 60,000 miles and a clean body, that don't run, what should i do I either thought take it to a dealer, buy a wrecked truck, change the harness, buy a wrecked truck, change the motor and selected body panels, what do you all think, and how hard is the harness to do on this truck?

Thanks
    Dan
  • km59km59 Posts: 4
    If you already have fixed your problem great, but i had to change out the FCS Which is located on the right front/pass frame rail and behind the fender wheel housing which i had to take out in order to get to the sensor. Also i needed a Fuel Line Disconnect Tool Set i bought at a local auto parts for $8.00 to get the 2 fuel lines off of the old sensor. It only has two bolts and a electical connection you need to unplug to take out, also relieve any fuel pressure before making repair.
  • My check engine light came on recently after I replaced the alternator. I don't know if the two are related. My gas cap is on tight, my fuel filter is brand new, new brake pads on the front and all fluids are good. How to diagnose why the *#@! light is on? :confuse:
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    If the light came on immediately after replacing the alternator I would say they are probably related.
    However, no one can guess at what may be causing the light to come on without at least knowing what code is stored. Go by AutoZone and get the code or codes read and come back and post and someone should be able to offer a bit more guidance.
  • km59km59 Posts: 4
    I fixed the problem by buying the part at my local salvage yard, the part cost me $10.00,I replaced the Flex Fuel Composition Sensor and the MIL light cleared and OBD Fault codes cleared. No need for all that money the dealership wanted from my wallet!!!! Do it yourself in 1HR and feel very good about not giving in to the Money Grabbers.
  • redlowredlow Posts: 2
    Hello, this is my first post here. I have an 02 Sonoma 2wd 4.3 auto. Last year, leaving Ontario we ran into a blizzard with lots of wet snow and salty roads. The check engine light came on and stayed on until we got to NC and stopped overnight. The next morning the light was out and stayed out all the way to Florida for Bikeweek. On the way home it came on during a rainstorm and then went out when it got dry again and never re-appeared.
    Until...last week after a wet and salty snowstorm the check engine light came on and the truck idled a little rough. My neighbour put his code scanner on it and we got a P0300 and P0131 code. P0300 os "random misfire" and P0131 is "Bank 1 sensor 1 low voltage". I changed the driver's side front O2 sensor, intalled a new cap and rotor and spark plugs and cleared the codes. The truck ran perfectly for one day and then the Check engine light came back on and the truck started running roughly. I checked the codes again and the P0300 code is set with a second P0300 pending.
    I read that the EGR valve can stick and cause these problems. Here's the dumb question...Where is the EGR valve? I have ordered a service manual but it's not here yet.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    I would suspect ignition wires. EGR valve location will be found in the owner manual, shows a under the hood picture and legend.
  • john266john266 Posts: 2
    Has anyone every got a code 42 on a 4.3L S10/Sonoma? My truck trips the check engine light sometimes when I am idling, and the code is 42. Code 42 is supposed to be something related to electronic spark timing, but I dont know what to fix or replace. Any help?
  • fast43fast43 Posts: 2
    The ABS light on my 2002 2.2l came on. Is there anything I can check before I take it somewhere?
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Mid-westPosts: 255
    One item you can check that won't cost anything. Crawl under it and check out the wires and associated plugs that go to the wheel sensors. Maybe you ran over some debris in the highway and knocked a wire loose. Sometimes stuff happens. I had that problem with my kid's car and fortunately all I had to do was replace the wheel sensor, which wasn't complicated at all. :shades:
  • kennybkennyb Posts: 2
    check engine light on 97 s10 2.2,,code reads "p1133 manufactur controlled fuel and air metering" have replaced 'Map Sensor controll' didnt help..any ideas where to try next ? thanks :confuse: :confuse:
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    "DTC P1133 O2S Insufficient Switching Sensor 1" This is what I get for a 99 Sonoma 2.2. GM codes are pretty much standard. It refers to the oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold. The code does not mean change it, it means check it out.
  • darcy2darcy2 Posts: 2
    If this helps I find that my brake lights come on when air is low in tires