Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Thunderbird Help!

terry95terry95 Member Posts: 1
I have a 1986 thunderbird I race. it is 302 5.0 fuel injected. I have a chip to replace the air temp sensor, just past the mass air flow sensor. Problem is I cant find these. Where are they on the car which is which? Please help.

Comments

• lepiandevie06lepiandevie06 Member Posts: 3
    im eva and i have a 1984 ford thunderbird that im selling for 500 or obo if you kow any one who wants it contact me thanks at [email protected] but right now my fuel pump went out and i need a new filter and and i dont know how to fix it . if you can help id like that thanks alot eva mccullough or call me at 801 282-5815
    my car is a v8 5.0 l i race mine to mine is a one wheel tire fryer is nice and quick but i need sale it . it runs great and ive had it since i was 16 and now im 20 help me fix my car so i can sale it thanks eva
    hey check just below where you were just at or by the low fram of the car i was told thats where it it . have any more please contact and i can find out for you ! ok where you located? im in west jordan ut
  • tbird96tbird96 Member Posts: 1
    HI I just bought a 96 t-bird with a 3.8 v6 it has factory headers and dual exhaust. it also has GT emblems on it.i have never seen a GT t-bird and i have not seen a factory dual exhaust on a 3.8 has anybody else heard of this before
  • tbird_godtbird_god Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 t-bird LX with a 5.0. I need front ABS sensors or a way to bypass them. Both of them have gone bad and it is causing a complete brake system failure. The parts are not made anymore as far as I can tell. If you can find them, they are VERY expensive. Does anybody have any ideas on how to beat this system. I don't drive in snow, so I really don't need ABS. Wouldn't mind just bypassing the abs system all together. Thanks.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Have you tried pulling the relays for the ABS and/or disconnecting the wires to the ABS pump completely? They must be disableable since I've seen several not running ABS on the track.

-mike
  • steemer1steemer1 Member Posts: 1
    i have 2 hoses coming off the turbo and the 1 in the back is not hooked up. it has emissions writing on it and it is not like a reg 2.3 cuz it is loaded, need help finding were it goes. please?
  • edwin2edwin2 Member Posts: 1
    Can't figure out how to remove broken lens and replace. Need help.
  • raisnvegasraisnvegas Member Posts: 2
    I have a 90 T-bird w/ a 3.8 sc. All I need is a harmonic balancer to put it on the road. I can't seem to find one anywhere.
    BUMMER..... I'm just itching to see what it can do.

Any suggestions?
  • if6were9if6were9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a mint condition 79 t-bird, the only thing that needs replacing is the lenses for the tail lights. I've looked high and low and as yet have come up with nothing.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
  • ropemakercarolropemakercarol Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 T-Bird. When my taillight was broke my son-in-law went on E-Bay and got me one for $25.
  • ropemakercarolropemakercarol Member Posts: 2
    I have gave my car a complete tune-up. When I am going up a hill I loose power. But on flat road it runs good.
  • jose11jose11 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this site and i was wandering if you knew if a 5.0 will drop down into my car. It is a 88 Ford Thunderbird turbo coupe. My turbo went out and i cant afford a new on. I was just wanting to know the best rout to go. thanks
    If you can get someone to take it out for you, maybe a moonlighting mechanic on a weekend, your turbo can be shipped off and rebuilt and then re-installed. It certainly would cost way less than an engine conversion. Rebuilt turbos might only be $400 or so, + labor to R&R, so maybe what...4 hours? That's a lot cheaper than at least $3,000==$5,000 to do an engine swap
  • jose11jose11 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Is there any way to make the car run without the turbo for a little bit. It's my only means of transportation.
    No, it would be an incredible dog without a turbo. You wouldn't want to drive it.
  • svtbirdsvtbird Member Posts: 6
    I HAVE 87 TURBO COUPE WITH A BAD TURBO I BOUGHT 88 THUNDERBIRD WITH A 5.0 EFI AT SALVAGE SALE FOR $188.00 AND CHANGED EVERTHING OVER UNDER THE HOOD PLUS THE COMPUTER WIRING IT TOOK ABOUT WEEK THAT IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO DO IT CAN GET PARTS FROM JUNK YARD I WOULD FIND A SALVAGE SALE NEAR YOU AND JUST WATCH FOR ONE AND BUY IT.

GREG
    I NOW HAVE 94 THUNDERBIRD V8 I TOOK THE STOCK 4.6L OUT AND PUT THE 4CAM 4.6L OUT OF THE MARK VIII CHANGED WIRING COMPUTER AND EXHUAST PUT SUPER CHIP IN IT AND THE AIR INTAKE OFF A 97 COBRA MUSTANG. I'V GOT 3.73 TRACTION LOCK IN IT ABOUT A WEEK AGO. I'V ALSO PUNCHED OUT ALL THE CATS I REBUILT THE TRANMISSION WITH A SHIFT KIT I WORK IN A TRANSMISSION SHOP. I'V RACED 2001 GT MUSTANG AND BEAT IT. THE GUY WAS SHOCKED. MY BROTHER HAS 04'MACH1 AND IT WILL HANG WITH IT. I HAVE'NT BEAT HIM YET. I'VE RACED A SUPER COUPE TBIRD AND BEAT IT. OVER ALL IT RUNS GOOD HAVE NOT FOUND ANY ONE ELSE WHO HAS DONE THIS TO THEIRS.
    MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR IS JUST OFF THE AIR CLEANER BOX AIR INTAKE SENSOR IS IN THE AIR TUBE.
  • 32vsc32vsc Member Posts: 1
    Hey SVTbird,

My father and I did the same type of swap a couple of years ago. We took an 89 Thunderbird SC, took out the Supercharged V6 and put in a 95 Mark8 motor. It was kinda funny that the car didn't get any lower with the new motor in it and stock V6 SC springs. (have since put in high performance struts and springs) Had to put in the automatic that came with the motor, this would be so much better with a stick, but it is still a very fun car. (as you know!) Surprises a lot of people, and my friends love this thing.

32v SC (my license plate)
  • jcruz88tcjcruz88tc Member Posts: 1
    a week ago mt car stalled suddenly. one hour later it ran again. i changed the dist. and all related parts there in, the coil and the computer inside the car passenger side. it runs for about ten min. then suts off. there are no check engine codes held in the computer. what should i do next? joe
  • mrchris93mrchris93 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1993 thunderbird with a 5.0L V-8. But it only has around 200 hp. What kind of parts can I putin to make my engine more powerfull? Where can I look to get parts?
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • drummerduffydrummerduffy Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 1991 super coupe and I have a ? about the power steering pump auxillary pressure switch. mine is leaking brake fluid and the dealer wants over 100 hundred bucks for one. I was woundering if anybody could tell me what its function is and could it be by passed thank you. mike
    if it is actual power steering pressure switch you can take it out. But the computer uses it to watch the pressure might set a code for it don't know if will turn your check engine light on some things that the computer reads are not as impotant so they won't kick the light on
  • raisnvegasraisnvegas Member Posts: 2
    I would check the fuel pump. They will run until they get hot and then sieze up until they cool. Just one of many possibilities.
    RV
    Cars that fuel pumps in the tank your not to run them past 1/4 of a tank the gas is what cools the pump.
    Anything a 5.0L mustang uses you can use on the motor.
  • sheila4178sheila4178 Member Posts: 1
    my son has a 1989 ford thunderbird. he drove home parked took shower went back outside toleave and the car started ran fine just would not shift out of park like it was froze up. can you give me a guess on what might have occured and how do we fix it.
  • fiero1967fiero1967 Member Posts: 1
    we have a 1991 ford thunderbird and we are wanting to know if this is a unibody or does it have a rolling chassis Frame? we are going to use the chassis for a project truck but if this is a unibody we cant use it, PLEASE HELP as we were told it is a unibody by a friend but we want to be sure. thanks
  • gsrgsr Member Posts: 1
    Our '96 thunderbird has just come back from a body shop after having the hood replaced. Now the radio doesn't work and the check guages light is on. All the guages are good and everything else works perfectly. No fuses appear blown but I replaced the acc fuse anyway just in case. Has anyone heard of this problem before?
  • mackgmmackgm Member Posts: 1
    I need to dismantle the transmission on my 87 Turbo Coupe to diagnose why the transmission will not down shift to third. What do I need to do to remove the top cover of the transmission? I have all the bolts out but it looks like I need to remove the roll pin on the shifter block. Is that correct or am I missing something else? :confuse:
  • haithhaith Member Posts: 2
    where did you find exhaust for your car i have a 92 t-bird with 5.0 with two in to one back to two.
  • haithhaith Member Posts: 2
    the shifter handel come losse from shifter mount in side of car all you have to do is push down on it if that dont's work ! check the fuse for the shifter lock.
  • the_konothe_kono Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 v-6 T-Bird. When I have the heat on the temp. gauge starts to peg hot after about a half hour. At this time I lose heat and the head lights start to go on and off. Everything goes back to normal only after I turn the blower off and the temp gauge goes back to normal. WHAT COULD IT BE??
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Just a heads up for those of you with the '89-'97 T-Birds.(and maybe some other years.) E-Bay has a big selection of replacement headlight, turn signal, and other housings at much lower prices than the dealer or even a boneyard. The turn signal housing on my '95 fell apart (it's kinda scary when your car gets to the point where it's losing pieces) and I found two new turn signal housings for $30 including shipping. A junkyard wanted $55 for one! They're nice and clear, too. I think I'm ordering headlights next. It'll be nice to actually see at night again. :surprise:
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • tfuentestfuentes Member Posts: 1
    Just finished re-placing the front power window switches on my 63 Tbird. They are new aftermarket. Seems like there is no power going to them. Is there a replaceable fuse link somwhere? Back swithces work fine.

Tom
  • mr_worrellmr_worrell Member Posts: 1
    Got a 1978 thunderbird. The headlights go on and off the whole time I'm driving. Sometimes I have to activate the light switch to make the come one again. They flash about every 10 seconds for about 20 to 30 seconds. Is this a bad light switch?
  • 1995tbird1995tbird Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 v6 cp..starts up beautiful on dry days ...takes forever to start whenit rains...but it eventually starts...this AM it wont start at all...also the car has been stalling out on me at stopping intervals..please advise...
    Try the "Got a Quick, Technical Question? " forum. They can probably answer that for you. Sounds like it might be spark plug wires, but I'm not a mechanic.
  • thursty_turtlethursty_turtle Member Posts: 9
    I have a 93 thunderbird can anybody tell me if custom wheels for a mustang of similar year will fit it has 4 wheel disc brakes if that matters thank you
    I know if you go to www.tirerack.com you can look up the bolt circle of your T-bird and the car you get the rims from and see if they match up.
  • thursty_turtlethursty_turtle Member Posts: 9
    Thank you, but what about the rim offset and the hub design don't they matter too.
  • rajtarrajtar Member Posts: 1
    I got a 1995 T-bird like a half a year ago its in great condition low mileage, but i would like to know what this thing can do, anyone have any idea? I also am thinking of getting new tires, shocks, spark plugs and wires, new intake and exaust system and even a turbo. Is there anything else i need or should get for my car? I NEED HELP
    But what can it do, do you mean performance? 0-60 in about 8.2 seconds, top end is limited to 106mph because of the Factory all season tires. Not sure about quarter mile time.

Check out www.tccoa.com for lots of technical info, modifications and such.
  • enderdrmenderdrm Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a '96 T- Bird.The airbag light flashes 5 times then short
    pause then 1 time then long pause then repeat. Is this a diag. code? This is a beautiful car and I want everything to work properly.
    Thanks
    Try the Got a Quick, Technical Question? forum. There are some knowledgable people there who can help you.
  • reddragon2reddragon2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 v6 3.8L supercharged thunderbird. I was wondering what are some good websites to go to for parts,transmissions,bodykits, just everything in general I guess. I really need help, Thank You.
    Try www.tccoa.com they have lots of technical information. They also have links to parts and performance suppliers. I don't know if the sites been updated for a while, but I still use it often.
  • jerry81jerry81 Member Posts: 1
    i received my thunder bird from my father about a month ago. its in great condition, runs super good, and im trying to add some things and make it fit more into my style. i wanna add some rims to it, so i took it down to an auto body shop and found out i could fit anything from 17 inch rims to 24 inch rims with the rubber band tires on. i wanna install the 22 inch rims but i need to know more info on what type of rims to get in that saize or if the 5x5 lug rims will fit