Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Thunderbird Help!

Comments

• gsrgsr Posts: 1
    Our '96 thunderbird has just come back from a body shop after having the hood replaced. Now the radio doesn't work and the check guages light is on. All the guages are good and everything else works perfectly. No fuses appear blown but I replaced the acc fuse anyway just in case. Has anyone heard of this problem before?
  • I need to dismantle the transmission on my 87 Turbo Coupe to diagnose why the transmission will not down shift to third. What do I need to do to remove the top cover of the transmission? I have all the bolts out but it looks like I need to remove the roll pin on the shifter block. Is that correct or am I missing something else? :confuse:
  • haithhaith Posts: 2
    where did you find exhaust for your car i have a 92 t-bird with 5.0 with two in to one back to two.
  • haithhaith Posts: 2
    the shifter handel come losse from shifter mount in side of car all you have to do is push down on it if that dont's work ! check the fuse for the shifter lock.
  • I have a 1993 v-6 T-Bird. When I have the heat on the temp. gauge starts to peg hot after about a half hour. At this time I lose heat and the head lights start to go on and off. Everything goes back to normal only after I turn the blower off and the temp gauge goes back to normal. WHAT COULD IT BE??
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 903
    Just a heads up for those of you with the '89-'97 T-Birds.(and maybe some other years.) E-Bay has a big selection of replacement headlight, turn signal, and other housings at much lower prices than the dealer or even a boneyard. The turn signal housing on my '95 fell apart (it's kinda scary when your car gets to the point where it's losing pieces) and I found two new turn signal housings for $30 including shipping. A junkyard wanted $55 for one! They're nice and clear, too. I think I'm ordering headlights next. It'll be nice to actually see at night again. :surprise:
  • Just finished re-placing the front power window switches on my 63 Tbird. They are new aftermarket. Seems like there is no power going to them. Is there a replaceable fuse link somwhere? Back swithces work fine.

Tom
  • Got a 1978 thunderbird. The headlights go on and off the whole time I'm driving. Sometimes I have to activate the light switch to make the come one again. They flash about every 10 seconds for about 20 to 30 seconds. Is this a bad light switch?
  • I have a 95 v6 cp..starts up beautiful on dry days ...takes forever to start whenit rains...but it eventually starts...this AM it wont start at all...also the car has been stalling out on me at stopping intervals..please advise...
    Try the "Got a Quick, Technical Question? " forum. They can probably answer that for you. Sounds like it might be spark plug wires, but I'm not a mechanic.
  • I have a 93 thunderbird can anybody tell me if custom wheels for a mustang of similar year will fit it has 4 wheel disc brakes if that matters thank you
    I know if you go to www.tirerack.com you can look up the bolt circle of your T-bird and the car you get the rims from and see if they match up.
  • Thank you, but what about the rim offset and the hub design don't they matter too.
  • I got a 1995 T-bird like a half a year ago its in great condition low mileage, but i would like to know what this thing can do, anyone have any idea? I also am thinking of getting new tires, shocks, spark plugs and wires, new intake and exaust system and even a turbo. Is there anything else i need or should get for my car? I NEED HELP
    But what can it do, do you mean performance? 0-60 in about 8.2 seconds, top end is limited to 106mph because of the Factory all season tires. Not sure about quarter mile time.

Check out www.tccoa.com for lots of technical info, modifications and such.
  • I just bought a '96 T- Bird.The airbag light flashes 5 times then short
    pause then 1 time then long pause then repeat. Is this a diag. code? This is a beautiful car and I want everything to work properly.
    Thanks
    Try the Got a Quick, Technical Question? forum. There are some knowledgable people there who can help you.
  • I have a 1990 v6 3.8L supercharged thunderbird. I was wondering what are some good websites to go to for parts,transmissions,bodykits, just everything in general I guess. I really need help, Thank You.
    Try www.tccoa.com they have lots of technical information. They also have links to parts and performance suppliers. I don't know if the sites been updated for a while, but I still use it often.
  • jerry81jerry81 Posts: 1
    i received my thunder bird from my father about a month ago. its in great condition, runs super good, and im trying to add some things and make it fit more into my style. i wanna add some rims to it, so i took it down to an auto body shop and found out i could fit anything from 17 inch rims to 24 inch rims with the rubber band tires on. i wanna install the 22 inch rims but i need to know more info on what type of rims to get in that saize or if the 5x5 lug rims will fit
    Try tirerack.com. they have a technical section which will show which bolt circle and offset will work on your car. I'm pretty sure it's a different circle than the Mustang because I found a set on craigslist and looked it up and they would'nt fit.
  • my 1994 thunderbird chech engine light just came on. smells like raw fuel coming out of exhaust and under hood. engine missing at all speeds. white smoke coming out of exhaust. never smoked or smelled before check engine light came on. please help.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333
    I suspect a leaking head gasket allowing coolant into the combustion chamber.

Recommend it be towed in for actual diagnosis as continued driving is not good for it.
    I know some years had composite intake manifolds which could crack and cause problems. I think that was the 3.8 V-6 engines.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I would say its head gasket.

-mike
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333
    Some 4.6L V8 engines w/o the metal liner were also affected.
  • my 1990 thunderbird V-6 S.C has a A.B.S. problem both lights are on a.b.s. and brake. i can't bleed the back brakes or use them cause the motor for the accumulator to charge wont come on. unless i direcly bypass it any info would help I checked all fuses and replaced relay and still nothing
  • enderdrmenderdrm Posts: 5
    Maybe you need a break box to bleed your abs system. My'96 requires it.
  • not sure what a brake box is. my car has a accumulator that gets pressurized with a motor. in order to bleed it needs pressure. so i only have front brakes and the pedal is hard.at first i couldn't get fluid to the back so i bypassed the motor direct and was able to get fluid.
  • I had a brake problem. had brakes, then no brakes, replaced the accumulator twice, only to find the fix was a really cheap fix...the ignition switch was bad....replaced that and now I stop on a dime. I dont know if this will help, but I would have never thought of it!!