Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Suzuki XL7 Limited Full Test

Check out our 2007 XL7 full test to see what works and what needs work. Let us know what you think!

Full Test: 2007 Suzuki XL7 Limited

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• kc5ytikc5yti Posts: 38
    This article is far better than another recent review of the vehicle that made it seem impossible to get into the third row. However, I believe that the feature that could set the XL-7 apart from all of the others is the fact that you get a quality Japanese vehicle for the better price. The 2007 is the second XL-7 we own. Yes, we have a 2002 XL-7. To be honest, we routinely have adults in the third row, and the third row on the 2007 will provide much better seating for an average sized adult. I have been back there myself, and the leg room is much better. I was concerned about the fact that GM had much more influence in the latest rendition of the XL-7. So far, I am very pleased. The 3.6 is a very nice power plant, and it seems to be mated to a nice transmission as well. I would have never bought the vehicle if it came with that dinosaur of an engine that they have in the Equinox. This SUV performs well, and is a much nicer people mover than my 2002, but I still love my 02, and drive it with pride. Occasionally, my 02 gets to play in the mud and snow. I can’t say the same about the 07. I do wish that Suzuki would have stuck closer to its roots, but I also understand that to compete, you must provide the masses with what they want. Either way, we love them both. Our 2007 with 910 miles on it and our 2002 with 57000 miles on it. :shades: ;) :)
  • It's true the new 2007 XL7 isn't as capable off-road b/c it's no longer truck based. Still, the improved ride quality will be worth it to most customers.
  • king811king811 Posts: 1
    V* we traded in on the XL7We purchased a new 2007 Suzuki XL7 Dec 2006. So far we have accumulated about 6000 miles. We have had zero problems. Our overall mileage to date is 18 mpg for city driving and about 22 mpg for highway driving. We have obtained as high as 27 mpg in fairly flat terrain. It is an AWD vehicle. We find the rear seat far more comfortable then the 3rd row of many other SUV's. I have had an opportunity to drive and ride as a passenger in the Equinox and also the Saturn on the same chassis. In my opinion the Suzuki is far superior to either of the other vehicles. The 3.6 Suzuki Built V6 in the XL7 is a much better engine then the 3.5 GM built engine. It may not be quite as smooth and quite as the Saturn V6 but then it's a brand new engine. I'll give up a little for the much improved performance. The Suzuki 3.6 reminds me of the 3.5 Nissan V6. The Nissan is slightly quieter but the sound and performance feel is very similar. The Nissan V6 is one of the best, if not the best, V6 available in a production car. It approaches the performance level of even the BMW V6's. Sweet sounds at full throttle. Fit and finish is very good and better then the fit/finish in the 2003 Oldsmobile Aurora we traded on it. The performance of both vehicles is very good. The inside front door handles protrude inward so far as to restrict reaching the seat adjustment on the. Suzuki. The manual mode on the 5 speed works very well and it's great for "gearing down" when needed. Brakes are a bit weak but remember your stopping 4000 + pounds, not a sports car. Cargo room is one of it's best points. You can carry 10 foot lumber inside with everything closed up. That's hard to do even in some full size SUV's. Rear quarter view is some what restricted by the "D" pillar. We like the under floor storage in the rear floor. The hydraulic load leveling works as advertised. The hydraulic power steering is much much better then the power steering on the Equinox & Torrant. The XL7 is very competitive price wise with either of these vehicles. In my opinion it is a better "bargain" then either. I have not had the opportunity to check out the "eight " passenger capacity that the Saturn advertises. I don't know where that eighth person sits. As I'm sure that by now we feel that the Suzuki was the best buy considering the warranty and the local dealers. I'll get off my soap box for now. By the way our other vehicle is a 2006 Scion Xb that we dearly love and a 2003 Mazda Miata for fun. The Suzuki is my 77th vehicle since I was 16. It's been about 5 months since we bought the Suzuki and YES, we would do it again.
  • griveragrivera Posts: 1
    Dear King811,

According to my Suzuki XL7 2007 Limited platinum Package the current fuel economy is 13.4-mile per gallon. Please advise me how you got 18-mile for city driving?

Grateful,

Guillermo
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Good idea - let's start a mpg discussion and keep track of how everyone is doing. Here's the link:

Suzuki XL-7 Real World MPG
  • I REALLY don't understand Edmund's 0-60 time of this Suzuki XL7.
    Even Motorweek who's times are usually always ultra conservative obtained a 7.6 0-60. What's with this slow Edmund's time? Motortrend also got a 7.7
  • deq1deq1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 xl-7 that I bought new. I like the vehicle very much- but the Alternator has some issues. It was changed in 2006, because it was faulty- thankfully, it was still under warranty. However, yesterday, it died again, but not until it killed a 2 yr old battery.Of course, this time there's no warrany. Suzuki corp. won't stand behind this oddity- it is unusual to replace 1 alternator...never mind 2. So, I am stuck with buying YET another battery AND an alternator... to the tune of just under $1000.00! YIKES!!!
    Anybody have any comment/ideas? :confuse: ">
  • deq1deq1 Posts: 2
    Add my 2004 xl-7 to the door gone list....the car used to look nice-not any more or at least not on the passenger side... :P
  • We bought a Suzuki 2008 XL& 5 passenger SUV in may. So far, we love it. We normally have it with the rear seat in its full folded-up position creating maximum cargo space. Recently, when accelerating with any power, the seat SLAMS back down into is halfway-up position. YIKES! Luckily I had only one of my dogs with me and he was in the far back... if not he most likely would have been injured or even killed. Any cargo being carried there would have been damaged too. Those seats are VERY heavy. Has this happened to anyone else? If not, can you give it a test... safely of course!... by accelerating rapidly with the seat in this position? We're not sure whom to contact about this to see if it's something that can be fixed... any ideas? THANKS!