Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G8 vs BMW 3-Series vs Lexus IS 350

Comments

• fenwahfenwah Posts: 58
    Actually the G8 that you saw with the nice leather interior dash, big wheels, etc., will never make it into production. The production model will be a scaled back version. I'm a bit nervous of what they will do the G8. After seeing the G8 interior at the autoshows, I have a feeling that we will all be disappointed with what the production version will look like.
    My tax dollars had better not be spent bailing out GM. If anything, make those union boys work instead of playing cards. Reduce those union boys salaries as they are ridiciously high...big deal...they put a part on a car over and over. Reduce retirement and health benefits to the union boys. GM needs to get their head out of their *** if they ever want to compete with real automakers.

And this is coming from someone who hopes the G8 is the real deal. Too bad we had to rebadge an Aussie car to do it. But the engineers in the U.S. can't develop a decent car...then so be it.

I do believe the 08 CTS will be a huge winner though.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Actually the G8 that you saw with the nice leather interior dash, big wheels, etc., will never make it into production. The production model will be a scaled back version.

What ? The interior is a left-side drive Holden Commodore. Sure the color of leather which was ugly anyways in yellow and 20 inch tires won't make it into production yet but the HSV/GXP version will have 20's. Scaled back I think not !!!! Where are you getting your head filled with this hyperbole at ?

I'm a bit nervous of what they will do the G8. After seeing the G8 interior at the autoshows, I have a feeling that we will all be disappointed with what the production version will look like.

Again who is telling you this hyperbole. Got a link of proof ? Sure the interior color won't make it or the 20's but everything else is Holden Commodore production ready. :confuse:

Go check out the Holden Commodores on YouTube and Holden.com and their you will see a Holden interior which like the GTO's will be the same, only left-hand side for U.S. market

WOW....... :confuse:

Rocky
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Autoblog has a review of the Commodore that tries to relate it to the North American market. Fresh pics of the interior and exterior of the version that is headed here.

Really, the show car had 19" wheels and some skirting and whatnot. That won't make production, maybe on GXP version. Otherwise, as Rocky said, the G8 we've seen at the shows and on the web should be quite similar.

-Brian
    Your answer will be posted in the forum "possible salvation for domestic automakers" in automotive news and views as this isn't the place to have this go further off-topic. ;)

Rocky
    Yep !!!! ;)

Rocky
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Now, if we could only get some concrete info on pricing and options. :shades:

-Brian
    I agree Brian. Expect the G8 to start out at around $26-27K for the 3.6 261 hp base V8. The G8 GT V8 will top out at around $33K with a GTP hitting about $36K with a 400-425 hp 6.2 V8. The limited HSV/GTX version probably will hit $40K or so for a 7.0 LS-7 V8 with 502 hp or more. It will not debut before MY 2009' according to the sources I've read. ;)

Rocky
  • holdenguyholdenguy Posts: 145
    Here you go Rocky,
    BMW 550i vs VE Calais V8 vs Benz E500 comparison.
    Lot of reading but very well written article.

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car-review/2358840.aspx
    Yep, it was a very good read. I myself would probaably take the Mercedes, of the three.

Rocky
  • kc567567kc567567 Posts: 29
    "Pontiac G8 vs BMW 3-Series vs Lexus IS 350"

I’m sorry but the imaginary G8, will at best, take 3 or 4 years, and need near perfect reliability and road manners to even sniff the BMW for the king of the hill ,,,, not even a debate worthy of the BMW.

I chose the 350 over the 3 series simply because the Lexus had more character, was faster and I had greater confidence in the local Lexus dealer. The BMW is the leader in this segment though, and its interior is far superior ( and a lot fewer rattles).

Maybe the Infinity G35, or even the Lincoln Zephyr, may have a chance to join the elite but forget the G8.

KC
    If I was going to buy a G8, I'd sure enjoy seeing you in my rear view :P

Rocky
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,245
    If I were to buy a GM, it would be the Z-06 and then I would never see you in my rear view! ;)

The G8 is an example of the future of GM. International roots will continue to ensure that GM comes back to life, IMO.

Regards,
    OW
    If I were to buy a GM, it would be the Z-06 and then I would never see you in my rear view!

huh ? why cuz it would only be a flash as you went by me ? :P

The G8 is an example of the future of GM. International roots will continue to ensure that GM comes back to life, IMO.

Well the rumor is if this car is pretty popular they are going to build this and other Zeta's here in the U.S. as it would be cheaper than importing them. I'd rather buy em made here at home but them being made in australia, isn't all that bad. At least they aren't made by slave labor in China. ;)

OW, I can't warm up to the G8's grill. I don't like it. It's not horrible but it's enough to where I wouldn't buy one. The holden's look a lot better. If they brought over the Holden HSV with 500+ hp. I'd probably own one especially in red with magneride MRC. :shades:

Rocky
  • holdenguyholdenguy Posts: 145
    Ahh, yes, your dream car Rocky.
    Just get a front end sent over mate ;-)
    I don't like em' enough to spend that kind of extra money on one mate. That would be $2-3K easy just for the part and shipping. ;)

Rocky
    I don't want the government to control healthcare. Look at what they've done to social security, the national deficit, getting veterans hospital care in a timely manner. The list goes on and on. The government does not need to control healthcare. Once you do that, the quality of physicians in this country goes downhill...and fast.
    Well it's getting to the point only the rich will have healthcare because the government isn't doing enough to control costs. :(

As far as the G8, going up against BMW's 3/5 seriesand the Lexus IS, it does a great job. The G8, might lack in a few area's but once you factor in price it makes a very competitive alternative. ;)

-Rocky
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,245
    IMHO, the quality of physicians available to the general public in the US follows the quality of the auto manufacturers. Was great but no more.

Regards,
    OW

P.S. The G8 still looks boring to me.

Regards,
    OW
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "IMHO, the quality of physicians available to the general public in the US follows the quality of the auto manufacturers. Was great but no more."

You are kidding, right? I'll go to Germany or Japan for my cars, but point to anyplace in the world you would rather send your spouse or kids for a medical diagnosis or procedure than Johns Hopkins, Mayo or Cleveland Clinics, or University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, just to name a few.

And Rocky, throw the ambulance chasing trial lawyers into a deep tar pit and you will make a lot of headway on controlling costs. The vascular surgeon that saved my mother's life pays $175,000 per year in malpractice insurance premiums - and he's never had a single case brought against him.

Healthcare in this country is far from perfect, for sure. But in a country that can't produce a car attractive enough for my tastes and preferences in the past 30 years, I'm pretty thankful for those physicians who slug through 10+ years of post graduate school and internships and take real pride in their profession. Try finding that intestinal fortitude on the floor of a GM factory.